• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 272 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
As for Carolina and Cincy, I'd just quote "R-E-L-A-X". Seattle? Not so much. All depends what happens in the next few games. Playing Wilson this week vs a strong Jets DL, compounded by a horrific Hawk OL (you get what you pay for... their entire OL payroll is around $6M), if Russ cannot move well it could be trouble for Wilson's health. Getting RG Ifedi back, IF they get him back after being out 2 weeks from a high ankle sprain, should help. If Russ can keep from getting re-injured through the first-half of the season, by mid-season Cable's magic typically has a way of getting results on the OL, then Hawks should be ok. But no Russ, no playoffs.

Wilson did really well against the 49ers last week as it was obvious he wasn't 100% from the start of the game. I think it makes more sense to sit him this week. Dez Bryant has a hairline fracture of the right knee but the 49ers have to find a way to stop the Cowboys QB plus Elliott which won't be easy after the way they have leaked points over the past two games but they generally do much better at home. Enough to get the win is questionable.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Remember the Jim Mora playoff rant?
He just coined another. The season over rant. U gotta love it.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...t=att&type=att_smartphone_homerun_portal&tt=b

That was a good rant. It must irritate the hell out of coaches and players when the media as they do and some of the fans just write a team off so early in the season. There are probably good arguments on both sides. The Ravens have won their first three games but not against the best opposition but a win is a win. The Saints have a job ahead of them getting back on track.

Wonder if Hardy will ever make it back in the league. He says the coke was placed in his bag by someone else. They always say that. Thing is, you have to be hanging around those kind of people for someone to slip it in your bag. And often you are who you hang with. So I don't buy his excuse. But if he is telling truth then he needs to ditch those friends and acquaintances.

JJ Watt put on IR to have back surgery for herniated disk. Season likely done. Dude takes super good care of body, but stuff happens.

Seattle RB Rawls has cracked fibula, so they sign CJ Spiller who was let go by Saints. Not the player used to be due to leg injuries. So we'll see how that works. Right now, Christine Michael is Seattle's most durable RB. Rookies Procise, Brooks and Collins have all had various injuries sideline them for a while. I like Michael. He just needs to secure the rock. Only has one fumble this year so far I think.

But this is Rawls second fracture in less than 10 months. Raises questions about his durability.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Wonder if Hardy will ever make it back in the league. He says the coke was placed in his bag by someone else. They always say that. Thing is, you have to be hanging around those kind of people for someone to slip it in your bag. And often you are who you hang with. So I don't buy his excuse. But if he is telling truth then he needs to ditch those friends and acquaintances.

JJ Watt put on IR to have back surgery for herniated disk. Season likely done. Dude takes super good care of body, but stuff happens.

Seattle RB Rawls has cracked fibula, so they sign CJ Spiller who was let go by Saints. Not the player used to be due to leg injuries. So we'll see how that works. Right now, Christine Michael is Seattle's most durable RB. Rookies Procise, Brooks and Collins have all had various injuries sideline them for a while. I like Michael. He just needs to secure the rock. Only has one fumble this year so far I think.

But this is Rawls second fracture in less than 10 months. Raises questions about his durability.

Maybe they brought Rawls back too soon. 49ers passed on Spiller but they have problems all over the field at the moment.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Maybe they brought Rawls back too soon. 49ers passed on Spiller but they have problems all over the field at the moment.
Maybe, but I would not be able to guess unless I saw him up close. The latest is a different area of the body. He may be small boned. Seeing him up would indicate if he was large or small boned. Large boned guys seem to get fewer bone/joint/ligament injuries, or the injury is of a different type than a small boned guy would get. Either the bones are stronger due to size, or there's more surface area where soft tissue attaches. Just basing that on what I've observed or heard. Example: I know 2 guys who had the same lisfranc injury. One was ex-Husky and maybe Seahawk Kasen Williams. The other was family member who is very large boned. The same doctor did the lisfranc surgery to both in Seattle (Kasen's the week prior to the other). The doc told mine his bones in general were so large (including foot) they had to used the largest hardware available, and that if he had been smaller boned that the bones in his foot would likely have shattered. For Rawls, it may be a string of bad luck, but may also be he is small boned. If the former, he could still have a long career. If the latter, career longevity is iffy.

What I'm watching for:

Curious about the crowds in London for Indy vs. Jax. Most of all, I hope it's a good, close game. The Euro fans need that.

Tennessee has had some tough losses and with Watt out, they could upend Houston.

How will Wilson play against the Jets? Or Seattle's OL for that matter.

If Carolina beats Atlanta, they move into a tie for first (with the tiebreaker). If they lose, it looks like trouble.

Oakland at Baltimore could be a good game.

Arizona laid an egg against Buffalo, but at home I expect them to bounce back.

Can Buffalo continue their streak and spoil New England's unbeaten ranking without Brady? I don't think they can.

The Saints badly need a win, and San Diego may be the recipe.

If Dallas beats SF, they go to 3-1, without Romo. Compare this to last season without Romo.

Pittsburgh looked exposed against Philly on the surface, but they get Bell back, they had some injuries, and I expect them to still be good. Their passing offense against KC's passing defense should be fun to watch.

If the Vikings win, they go 4-0, without Bridgewater, or Peterson.

Re Sea vs Jets... Sea will be without services backup OL Ohdiambo, while Ifedi gets first start at RG, and starting DT Jaran Reed is out. Rookies Ifedi will be improvement, but losing Reed could hurt if game is close and the Sea defense is on field too much for their deep rotation to stay fresh late in the game.

Well for the Cards losing a close one in low scoring game, I would not be too worried except now they do have to worry about Palmer's status following concussion. And it is still too early to hit the panic button. But tell me what is going on in Carolina, whose defense gave up 48 points to the Falcons??? And now have to be concerned about a concussion to Newton (it was a matter of time before something like that happened to Cam the way he plays). I also would have expected better out of KC than yesterday's beat down by PIT. At least make it closer than that blowout. Nice win for Raiders, and Bills as you said. Pats finally got a flat tire but you could hardly blame them for that, Still Pats are 3-1 and Bills are 2-2, AND Brady is back now. So Pats are sitting pretty good.

Pats just had no offense. Brissett just had nothing. I have a feeling he couldn't throw the ball down the field with any accuracy at all because of his hand, and they had way too many three and outs. I agree Pats fans shouldn't worry though. This loss may actually help them.

As to Carolina, some of those points were given up by the offense, or the offense responsibility. But to give up 48 was painful. And on some big plays too. Cam is just trying to do too much. But let's credit Atlanta here. Quinn has them ready to play. The no-name defense is playing up, and on offense they can be explosive. Ryan threw for over 500 yards, 300 of them to Julio Jones alone. Remember though last year they started strong as well. Their next two games are @Denver, and @Seattle.

Who would have thought both Carolina and Arizona would start the season 1-3?

The Broncos defense continues to impress. They are so strong, they could probably handle any team in the league right now, regardless of who plays at QB or on offense.

Awesome, gritty win for the Raiders. Against the unbeaten Ravens, in Baltimore. Carr had some big clutch throws late, and the defense held when they had to. All three Raider wins are on the road. Their only loss? Atlanta.

The Browns continue to show a lot of heart for being 0-4. No quit. But how long can that last?

After falling behind by two TD's, Prescott leads the Cowboys back, and to 3-1.

Did anyone notice that at 3-1 the Rams are in first place?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Pats just had no offense. Brissett just had nothing. I have a feeling he couldn't throw the ball down the field with any accuracy at all because of his hand, and they had way too many three and outs. I agree Pats fans shouldn't worry though. This loss may actually help them.

As to Carolina, some of those points were given up by the offense, or the offense responsibility. But to give up 48 was painful. And on some big plays too. Cam is just trying to do too much. But let's credit Atlanta here. Quinn has them ready to play. The no-name defense is playing up, and on offense they can be explosive. Ryan threw for over 500 yards, 300 of them to Julio Jones alone. Remember though last year they started strong as well. Their next two games are @Denver, and @Seattle.

Who would have thought both Carolina and Arizona would start the season 1-3?

The Broncos defense continues to impress. They are so strong, they could probably handle any team in the league right now, regardless of who plays at QB or on offense.

Awesome, gritty win for the Raiders. Against the unbeaten Ravens, in Baltimore. Carr had some big clutch throws late, and the defense held when they had to. All three Raider wins are on the road. Their only loss? Atlanta.

The Browns continue to show a lot of heart for being 0-4. No quit. But how long can that last?

After falling behind by two TD's, Prescott leads the Cowboys back, and to 3-1.

Did anyone notice that at 3-1 the Rams are in first place?

After losing badly in the first game to the 49ers the Rams have done well. Remains to be seen whether it continues but the 49ers after leading 14-0 against the Cowboys, it was a bad one to lose. The game was there for the taking but Bowman getting injured and the offense losing it's way again cost them.

The Vikings continue to impress. Their defense looks solid across the board, but especially the front seven. I love the way they, and Bradford, are not afraid to throw the ball down the field, and Cordell Patterson came alive. The game wasn't as close as the score indicated either. Minnesota just pounded them.

The Giants on the other hand need some work. They are lucky to not be 0-4. And Beckham just whining and complaining about the refs holding him to a different standard is a step in the wrong direction, even Eli said so in so many words.

As to the Rams, their schedule is fairly favorable the next few weeks, before turning tough.

Bills, @Detroit, NYG, bye, Carolina, @Jets, Miami, @New Orleans. They could be 8-3 after that.

Then comes @New England, Atlanta, @Seattle, SF and Arizona. Where they could end up 9-7.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
The Vikings continue to impress. Their defense looks solid across the board, but especially the front seven. I love the way they, and Bradford, are not afraid to throw the ball down the field, and Cordell Patterson came alive. The game wasn't as close as the score indicated either. Minnesota just pounded them.

The Giants on the other hand need some work. They are lucky to not be 0-4. And Beckham just whining and complaining about the refs holding him to a different standard is a step in the wrong direction, even Eli said so in so many words.

As to the Rams, their schedule is fairly favorable the next few weeks, before turning tough.

Bills, @Detroit, NYG, bye, Carolina, @Jets, Miami, @New Orleans. They could be 8-3 after that.

Then comes @New England, Atlanta, @Seattle, SF and Arizona. Where they could end up 9-7.

I think most fans are over Beckham and his silliness. Cardinals play 49ers on Thursday night, Palmer is in doubt re his concussion I think while the 49ers have multiple injury worries including Bowman gone for the year after doing his Achilles. Not a game either team wants to lose considering their current standings. Keenum has looked a lot better at QB for the Rams since his poor performance in Week One. Who would have thought that Bradford would be doing so well ? Minnesota have been really impressive along with Denver and the Eagles but the Eagles are running into some tough games now so it will be interesting to see how they go but they certainly cleaned up the Steelers without any trouble.

Has any player had more of an impact on the NFL than Sam Bradford? Consider:

1) A couple of years ago, Chip Kelly decided to dump Nick Foles and acquire Bradford. The offense struggled, Kelly lost his job and ended up at SF.
2) With Bradford, a former no. 1 draft pick, gone, the Rams drafted Goff as another no. 1.
3) The Eagles’ new coach, lacking confidence in Bradford, drafted Wentz with the second pick.
4) When Bridgewater went down for the Vikings, they acquired Bradford from the Eagles, who decided Wentz was ready to start.

So Bradford is not only the QB of the Vikings, but he’s the reason why Wentz is the QB for the Eagles, and Goff is the hopeful future QB of the Rams. Those three teams have a combined record of 10-1, all of them are leading their division, and the Vikings and Eagles in particular right now look like two of the best teams in the conference.

And what must Kelly be thinking now? When he acquired Bradford, he insisted, against numerous critics, that he could be a great QB. He was decent but not great under Kelly, but he might turn out to be great in MN.

Merckx index said:
Has any player had more of an impact on the NFL than Sam Bradford? Consider:

1) A couple of years ago, Chip Kelly decided to dump Nick Foles and acquire Bradford. The offense struggled, Kelly lost his job and ended up at SF.
2) With Bradford, a former no. 1 draft pick, gone, the Rams drafted Goff as another no. 1.
3) The Eagles’ new coach, lacking confidence in Bradford, drafted Wentz with the second pick.
4) When Bridgewater went down for the Vikings, they acquired Bradford from the Eagles, who decided Wentz was ready to start.

So Bradford is not only the QB of the Vikings, but he’s the reason why Wentz is the QB for the Eagles, and Goff is the hopeful future QB of the Rams. Those three teams have a combined record of 10-1, all of them are leading their division, and the Vikings and Eagles in particular right now look like two of the best teams in the conference.

And what must Kelly be thinking now? When he acquired Bradford, he insisted, against numerous critics, that he could be a great QB. He was decent but not great under Kelly, but he might turn out to be great in MN.

Yeah that's funny but true. Kelly probably has lot on his mind at the moment with his team struggling but there was also a rumor doing the rounds that Kelly would be coming to to the 49ers with Bradford and 49ers fans and many others said that would never happen and some prayed it wouldn't. With the 49ers QB's eternal struggles to be consistent there will have to be changes at the end of the season otherwise Baalke the GM will be gone and many tip him to be gone anyway. The draft is always a lottery but with the 49ers ignoring their wide receiver problems and the QB problems and instead opting to bolster other positions, unless something drastic happens it's hard to see anything but another mediocre season for them even though they have had a tough schedule so far.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

I think most fans are over Beckham and his silliness. Cardinals play 49ers on Thursday night, Palmer is in doubt re his concussion I think while the 49ers have multiple injury worries including Bowman gone for the year after doing his Achilles. Not a game either team wants to lose considering their current standings. Keenum has looked a lot better at QB for the Rams since his poor performance in Week One. Who would have thought that Bradford would be doing so well ? Minnesota have been really impressive along with Denver and the Eagles but the Eagles are running into some tough games now so it will be interesting to see how they go but they certainly cleaned up the Steelers without any trouble.

While neither of them would want a L (DUH!), it's much more important for the Cardinals. They are the ones that were considered as one of the contenders this season, particularly coming off a last years strong play. Nobody expects much from the 49ers this season. A W or a L next to their name is simply one for the record book. Of course, if they win, it will jazz them up and they may build on it, but that's unlikely given their lack of quality and depth at just about every position. The Cardinals however, are in a much different boat. If they lose, and the Seahawks and Rams win, then they are 3 games back already, and they would be in SERIOUS trouble. And as you mentioned, Palmer's status is another blow. IMO, if the Seahawks keep improving that OL and use the two week break to their advantage and get healthy, then I don't see why they wouldn't be favorites to take the division. If Wilson can rest and recover and get that movement back to normal, and Graham's back is good to go, +an improved OL AND Christine Michael keeps improving? Scary. Not to mention Rawls coming back healthy in a few weeks. Sherman had a good game overall as well. So the defense is still one of the best in the league.

The Rams D is also very good and is really helping that team so far. I am not sold on them just yet, but they've been good.

The Vikings are playing fantastic on both sides of the field. While slightly surprising, I am not shocked. They played really well even with Bridgewater having so many ups and downs and were a better FG away from beating the Hawks and having a crack at the Panthers. It seems like Bradford is a nice addition to their team. The defense is phenomenal so I suppose he doesn't need to play out of his skin every game for them to win games. A bit like the Broncos last year (no I am not comparing Manning's quality to Bradford's).

I think the Packers need to still be looked at as a danger team, but the Vikings are obviously the best team in that division right now. The Bears and Lions are just not that good, again....

The Panthers are in a similar position to the Cards. Not out of it, but the alarm bells must be ringing.

The NFC east will be interesting. That is another open division. The Eagles are flying, but I think the Cowboys without Romo are different than without Romo in the past. The Giants won't fold in the second half of the season as they have done in some recent seasons. The Redskins may be the weakest team, but I don't think they'll fold easily either.

The AFC will be fun to watch this year. The Broncos haven't lost a step, in fact I think they are gaining steps and look better than last year. The Ravens are good and I think the Steelers and Bengals will be playing catch up to try and topple Baltimore. The Patriots are still the team to beat in the east, even with that 16-0 thud on Sunday. The AFC south is probably the weakest division and I am not sure who wins that one.

Cardinals and 49ers went about as expected. 49ers self destructed with dumb penalties and a dropped ball followed quickly by an intercept. Once the Cardinals got a foot in the door it was all over even though the final margin did not indicate how one sided the second half was. Looks like another long season on the way for 49ers fans with the Bills up next.

I found interesting Dieon Sanders talk before last night's game that he expected to see Kaepernick late in the game, and to make a splash. And today, Chip Kelly was asked pointedly about the QB position and said everything was on the table. But as the old saw goes, the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town...until he actually plays. And despite one good season where he stood behind a great OL, and great defense, and used his legs to surprise teams, I haven't seen anything from Kaep since, other than bad playing. Sometimes really bad playing.

But Gabbert hasn't played well either, though he's hardly to squarely blame for the 49ers loss. He's used his feet surprisingly well at times, and been able to do what Kaep never showed the ability to do well, move with the pocket, and throw with accuracy on the run. He also can't be blamed for dropped balls, including those by players who should know better.

Having said all that, desperate situations lead to desperate decisions, and despite this being a rebuild year for certain, I imagine at some point in order to save his job, and appease some critics, we will see Kaepernick play. What we get out of that remains to be seen. I'll just be really surprised, I mean extremely surprised, if he can sustain any quality play at all when he does.

As a footnote, despite seeming like he's been in the league a while, Gabbert is actually younger than Kaepernick, by about two years. 26 to 28.

In the event anyone is curious, here's the 49ers schedule:

@Buffalo, TB, NO, @Arizona, NE, @Mia, @Chi, NY Jets, @Atl, @StL, Sea.

Gabbert is done as the starter. The moment the coach says something like we'll evaluate all options that means Gabbert is done.

Now today the niners and Kaepernick agreed to restructure his contract ( giving both more freedom in the future) so 99% sure Kaep starts next week.

TRENDING THREADS