• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 486 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As we are all pretty aware of, the WFT's chances of advancing in the playoffs are slim. But, can you imagine a team that didn't even win half of its regular season games winning the superbowl?! My memory is horrible, but the Giants are the only 'modern' era team to have less than 10 wins wins (9) and win a superbowl aren't they?
I don't think so, based on this article: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/12/19/21024347/nfl-worst-playoff-teams-history-losing-records
In 2006 the NYG made the playoffs with an 8-8 record and did not make it to the SB. But in 2007, with a winning regular season record, the NYG won that SB. I think the NYG won again in 2011 with a winning season. Weren't both of those SB wins (in 2007, 2011) by the NYG against the Patriots?
But 2010 I do remember: BEASTQUAKE Seahawks (7-9), won their first playoff game against New Orleans.

I don't think so, based on this article: https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/12/19/21024347/nfl-worst-playoff-teams-history-losing-records
In 2006 the NYG made the playoffs with an 8-8 record and did not make it to the SB. But in 2007, with a winning regular season record, the NYG won that SB. I think the NYG won again in 2011 with a winning season. Weren't both of those SB wins (in 2007, 2011) by the NYG against the Patriots?
But 2010 I do remember: BEASTQUAKE Seahawks (7-9), won their first playoff game against New Orleans.
I said less than 10 wins...9-7 is both less than 10 and a winning season. :D You are correct that they defeated the Pats both times.

Superbowl wise I think it comes down to Chiefs/Bills vs Packers/Saints/Bucs. Chiefs could be playing with fire resting their starters. They haven't been like last year and could have lost more. Last year they were slow to start from an extended break. Could be a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: jmdirt
Superbowl wise I think it comes down to Chiefs/Bills vs Packers/Saints/Bucs. Chiefs could be playing with fire resting their starters. They haven't been like last year and could have lost more. Last year they were slow to start from an extended break. Could be a recipe for disaster.
I like the way the Bills are traveling but I'm more split about the NFC. I still have some doubts about most of the NFC contenders. Maybe I'm underestimating Green Bay a little.

Ravens/Titans will be one of the more interesting games in the first round. Ravens and Lamar probably need the victory more after going out early in the past two seasons. Ravens are one team that some of the talking heads think are being underestimated. I still think the Washington/Bucs game could also be good with the contrast in styles.

All press says Rams will win tomorrow. History shows more Seahawks control-style offense as needed...until the long ball plays are necessary. Rams have a slug-fest offense and now their facing a different, healthy defense. IMO Seattle wins on time of possession and control. And a couple of Wow plays. Talk later.

Super Wild Card Weekend is upon us.
Below is the official injury report and game day designations for all six games on Saturday and Sunday.
Indianapolis Colts at Buffalo Bills
Colts: OUT: T Will Holden (ankle), CB Rock Ya-Sin (concussion); QUESTIONABLE: DT DeForest Buckner (ankle)
Bills: QUESTIONABLE: WR Cole Beasley (knee), WR Stefon Diggs (oblique)
Los Angeles Rams at Seattle Seahawks
Rams: QUESTIONABLE: G David Edwards (ankle), QB Jared Goff (right thumb), LB Micah Kiser (knee)

Seahawks: QUESTIONABLE: CB Shaquill Griffin (hamstring), RB Rashaad Penny (knee), DT Jarran Reed (oblique)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Washington Football Team
Buccaneers: OUT: DT Jeremiah Ledbetter (calf), RB LeSean McCoy (illness); QUESTIONABLE: CB Carlton Davis (groin), WR Mike Evans (knee)
Washington: OUT: LB Thomas Davis (knee); QUESTIONABLE: RB Antonio Gibson (toe), WR Terry McLaurin (ankle), LB Kevin Pierre-Louis (ankle), QB Alex Smith (calf)
Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans
Ravens: QUESTIONABLE: G Ben Bredeson (knee), T D.J. Fluker (knee), CB Marlon Humphrey (shoulder), C Patrick Mekari (back), OLB Yannick Ngakoue (thigh), CB Jimmy Smith (ribs/shoulder), WR Willie Snead IV (ankle)
Titans: No players listed.
Chicago Bears at New Orleans Saints

Bears: OUT: DB Buster Skrine (concussion); QUESTIONABLE: DB Jaylon Johnson (shoulder), WR Darnell Mooney (ankle), LB Roquan Smith (elbow), LB Josh Woods (toe/glute)
Saints: OUT: G Nick Easton (concussion), DE Trey Hendrickson (neck)
Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers
Browns: QUESTIONABLE: T Jack Conklin (knee, illness), DE Myles Garrett (shoulder), CB Terrance Mitchell (not injury related), WR Donovan Peoples-Jones (concussion), DT Sheldon Richardson (neck), CB M.J. Stewart (calf), G Wyatt Teller (ankle)
Steelers: No players listed.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The 'turnaround' in the morning game IMO was IND going for it at the end of the first half, not getting it, and then BUF driving down the field for a TD. I agreed with the decision to go for it BYW.

EDIT: SEA has to figure out their O line!!!!!!

EDIT 2: Why was Heinicke out of the league? That was a pretty good tryout for next season I guess.

Ready for Sunday games! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
The 'turnaround' in the morning game IMO was IND going for it at the end of the first half, not getting it, and then BUF driving down the field for a TD. I agreed with the decision to go for it BYW.
I guess anybody who questioned who had the secret sauce in New England knows that Brady brought all the ingredients to Tampa. Also I could never figure out who, how or why to coach and play Antonio Brown..he is contributing on the field .
I am happy to see how far old man Rivers brought the Colts..I think that Buffalo was a much better team but the Colts kept it close..
I really don't have any idea for the Super Bowl..injuries and luck are going to be big..I am sure I am not the only one to say it..but I think that the same people who could keep Kaepernick out of the game can keep any marquee player in the line up despite a bad Covid result..sounds pretty cynical but w the only real revenue stream coming from TV..everything looks to be at stake to keep the most popular players,playing

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Terrible game by the Hawks. They have a talented team with a top 5 QB and perennial MVP candidate in Wilson, but coaching and terrible decision making strikes again. This team isn’t going anywhere with this stubborn coach and his staff. The Rams are a good team but the Seahawks played a bad game. No offense (again) for much of the game. You won’t go far in the playoffs with that sort of performance.

EDIT: SEA has to figure out their O line!!!!!!

EDIT 2: Why was Heinicke out of the league? That was a pretty good tryout for next season I guess.

Ready for Sunday games! :D
Heinicke could also have been aided by barely any film on him but he played superbly. Both quarterbacks played well enough to win. I'm happy Smith didn't play because some of the qb hits looked like it could have severely injured him.

Heinicke could also have been aided by barely any film on him but he played superbly. Both quarterbacks played well enough to win. I'm happy Smith didn't play because some of the qb hits looked like it could have severely injured him.
Yes and no. They might not have know about his mobility, but he threw the ball well (the actual throws and the decisions) which really has nothing to do with learning from film other than being aware of tendencies (which the entire world figured out pretty quickly). He wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, the receiver got open and he threw it to them. In a lot of ways he was Smith pre injury.

From that tryout, I don't see how WFT doesn't sign him for next season to at least compete in camp for one of the spots (if there is no camp, that's even more important). If Smith's comeback continues and he is QB1, Heinicke doesn't seem like a bad QB2 (or even 3 if they bring in a young guy to develop). If Smith decides that it isn't going to happen, and WFT brings in a vet and a young guy, someone like Heinike still seems to have a place IMO.

Reactions: movingtarget
All press says Rams will win tomorrow. History shows more Seahawks control-style offense as needed...until the long ball plays are necessary. Rams have a slug-fest offense and now their facing a different, healthy defense. IMO Seattle wins on time of possession and control. And a couple of Wow plays. Talk later.
Yeah...so this didn't happen.
Seattle's tight ends dropped almost every pass and couldn't block to save themselves or Seattle's QB. LA defense won this game completely and did a great job. Hats off to them.

Sunday game one in a nutshell:
-BAL shut Henry down
--TEN seemed to adjust early, but just isn't built to do it without him
-TEN didn't shut Jackson down
--Jackson 136 yards running!!! and efficient passing too.

Game two:
-NOLA!
-CHI D is solid, their O is not.

Game three:
21-0 CLE after 10 minutes! 28-0 after 1Q!! o_O CLE needs to work hard at staying focused...don't let PIT have any hope!

Last EDIT:
WOW! That's a lot of points!
Quote of the year: Barker: "I literally just introduced myself to him in the locker room before the game". Talking about one of the backup to the backups on the O line.
*If you don't know why I refer to him as Barker, you aren't watching the commercials! :p

Last edited:
Terrible game by the Hawks. They have a talented team with a top 5 QB and perennial MVP candidate in Wilson, but coaching and terrible decision making strikes again. This team isn’t going anywhere with this stubborn coach and his staff. The Rams are a good team but the Seahawks played a bad game. No offense (again) for much of the game. You won’t go far in the playoffs with that sort of performance.
I hate to say it, but let's face it, Seattle coaches can't scheme against opponent defences. It might be time for Carroll & Shotty to go.

Reactions: movingtarget

TRENDING THREADS