National Football League

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree with all you are saying, however in that playoff game last year the Patriots really were flat and seemed almost ambivalent, while the Jets were very motivated. This stretched even to the play calling with 6 minutes or so left in the game. The Pats were just letting the clock wind down like they thought it was still the third quarter or something.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks looked pretty weak against the Vikings. Before the game there were some Minnesota fans chuckling about how Seattle is now stuck with Tavaris "jump throw" Jackson, and he delivered with an awful pick-6 and a 40 QB rating. Whitehurst looked okay on one drive in the 3rd quarter, but seriously, both of these guys look like career backup QBs to someone else. Rookie Josh Portis who may not make the team actually looked as good as they did, and he was the team's leading rusher because the Seahawks can't run. Plus he was 5 for 6 last week against SD.

Jun 15, 2009
Alpe d'Huez said:
I agree with all you are saying, however in that playoff game last year the Patriots really were flat and seemed almost ambivalent, while the Jets were very motivated. This stretched even to the play calling with 6 minutes or so left in the game. The Pats were just letting the clock wind down like they thought it was still the third quarter or something.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks looked pretty weak against the Vikings. Before the game there were some Minnesota fans chuckling about how Seattle is now stuck with Tavaris "jump throw" Jackson, and he delivered with an awful pick-6 and a 40 QB rating. Whitehurst looked okay on one drive in the 3rd quarter, but seriously, both of these guys look like career backup QBs to someone else. Rookie Josh Portis who may not make the team actually looked as good as they did, and he was the team's leading rusher because the Seahawks can't run. Plus he was 5 for 6 last week against SD.
Absolutely agree with you here. The same obscure tactic was used by Reid in the SB vs. the Patriots. I came to no other conclussion than that such kind of play calling must have something to do with Vegas/Mob*. And i am not a conspiratist. I strongly recommend you this book: "How Organized Crime Influences Professional Football" by Dan E. Moldea. Sometimes too strange things happen in the post season... that since some years i crown my personal Champions after the regular season (the two teams with the best record in each conference that is).

I don´t know what´s going on in Seatlle. They knew they had big troubles last year team wide and yet they gave up one of their better players (Hasselbeck) to replace him with a career back up (Whitehurst) and a QB who has proven he can´t make it (Jackson).
I mean than they could have given an unemployed guy like Culpepper a chance or go for a proven winner from the CFL. It seems the Bengals and Seahawks go for the first pick next year...

(* I mean i can understand timid coaches punting on 4th and Short or kicking FG´s even tough behind late and big, but there is no reason to slow play when being behind two scores in the 4th Qtr.)

Well, Bubba Smith swore until the day he died that's exactly what the Colts did against the Jets in SB III. He had NO inside knowledge, but he felt coaching decisions and play calling was so abnormal in the 2nd half that something had to be going on. And the fact they left Unitas out of the game until it was too late. It all added up to him that the fix was in.

Seattle, Cincy, Washington, Buffalo and Carolina really should be fighting for the worst record. I was harsh against Jackson in my last post, but really Seattle has an unproven OL and as was said before I think he's going to start because he's mobile, after all, he's going to be running for his life a lot of plays!

Meanwhile, Oaklan took Terrell Pryor in the supplemental draft. I have to say in the last week Pryor has had the exact right attitude, or been saying all the right things, very modest kid. I think he'd make a better WR than a QB if they groom him. He's got the speed and size. He could be the next Antwan Randel El actually. Catch some passes, toss a few trick play passes, maybe play a wildcat or two. But I think Al Davis is trying to make up for the debacle that was Jamarcus Russell, and Pryor will come much cheaper, and no matter what he does he'll play better than Russell ever did.

Jun 15, 2009
If you are interested in the dark side of Football, buy the book. Some real strange stories (underlaid with facts) about shady owners, mafia bookmakers, fixes, stopped congress investigations (the NFL really tries to keep everything under the carpet) and so on. After the book you´ll never watch the game as before. So it´s your decision to either take the red pill or the blue one. ;)

Jun 22, 2009
So, do the experts feel that pre-season games are largely meaningless, or am I able to take some comfort from the Skin's two rather surprising (and hopeful) results?

Jun 15, 2009
Both ways. Meaningless because most of the time 2nd- and 3rd stringers play. OTOH you can see early troubles like the Rams had no Defense in 2000 or Da Bears have no O-Line in 2011. I think the Skins are good off with John Beck at QB. It´s the Dolphins secret why they drafted him, but never gave him a chance. As far as i remember he threw 61 mph at the combine (one of the strongest arms), and i really don´t know/care why this guys have to run 40 yard dashes etc. All that matters is can he throw from the pocket and read a defense. Yes he can...

Oct 25, 2010
Amsterhammer said:
So, do the experts feel that pre-season games are largely meaningless, or am I able to take some comfort from the Skin's two rather surprising (and hopeful) results?
ah, a skins fan...man,, that is a long road to hoe...must be almost as frustrating as following the Chiefs as I sometimes have admitted to in public...but no, I wouldn't take any comfort at all...preseason games are a joke...totally meaningless in my book...

Jun 22, 2009
The Gnome said:
ah, a skins fan...man,, that is a long road to hoe...must be almost as frustrating as following the Chiefs as I sometimes have admitted to in public...but no, I wouldn't take any comfort at all...preseason games are a joke...totally meaningless in my book...
It sure is, but I can tell you that my 43 years as a West Ham fan have been really good training.:(

A Giants man here and surprised that the press in general are gushing over the Eagles. The rest of the NFC East will do their best to make sure the Eagles don't get a record good enough for home field and the Packers will snuff them out in the playoffs and get another ring. Thank the gods the season is going ahead.

Fergoose said:
A Giants man here and surprised that the press in general are gushing over the Eagles. The rest of the NFC East....
I think strong running teams are going to be able to pound out the Eagles, and Vick will make just enough mistakes against good defenses to keep them from the big game.

IF the Packers don't get complacent, they definitely could repeat.

fatandfast said:
Go Chargers!! and I guess just for fun go Lions!!
The Chargers have the best team in the NFL on paper. They have a top 5 QB, a great young running back, and last year had the #1 defense. But they have a coach infamous for blowing playoff games, and last year had the worst special teams. I fully expect them to contend for the division or HFA even, then lose in the first round of the playoffs.

The Lions could be decent as I said, if Stafford stays healthy, the defense gels, and they don't let losing a few games get them in a slide. I see a 9-7 year.

Preseason is for evaluating players, that's really about it.

Jun 15, 2009
fatandfast said:
Go Chargers!! and I guess just for fun go Lions!!
I love the Chargers, but Norv the Snurf really annoyes me. Vs. NE i threw my SD-Shirt on the street after "he" punted late in the game, being behind by 9 points against the then best NFL-Offense. Easterbrook aka Easteregg named it rightfully the worst call in the history of Football. Did the Chargers front office learn? No, they threw millions of Dollars to him after that game. And it got worse: The low point so far is last season going 9-7 with the best Offense and Defense. Something never accomplished before. Chargers fans get pranked beyond belief. I am done with them until this guy is out of football. I hate intentional loosers.
Easterbrook sums it up in a few words:
"Who can explain the Chargers? In 2010, they did the impossible -- finishing first in offense and first in defense, yet missing the playoffs. San Diego special teams were terrible, but that alone can't account for this historical meltdown. The always-on-target Football Outsiders believe special teams rarely account for football outcomes. The Chargers were careless with the ball, losing 16 fumbles. But even bad special teams and fumble-itis can't account for the meltdown. When your columnist looks at the team's 2010 stats, he zeros in on the 3-5 road record. The Bolts seemed spoiled by their city's ideal conditions, foundering elsewhere.

Who can explain Norv Turner? He is the sole double-digits NFL head coach --13 seasons running the Redskins, Raiders and Chargers -- with a career losing record. Turner's longevity is quite puzzling. Considering Marty Schottenheimer (205-139-1 career) and Jeff Fisher (147-126) are without NFL jobs, that Turner is firmly entrenched though 103-109-1 is hard to explain.

Then again -- the Chargers had great stats in 2010 yet missed the playoffs. The Chargers are coached by Norv Turner. Maybe two plus two equals four."

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think strong running teams are going to be able to pound out the Eagles, and Vick will make just enough mistakes against good defenses to keep them from the big game.

IF the Packers don't get complacent, they definitely could repeat.

The Chargers have the best team in the NFL on paper. They have a top 5 QB, a great young running back, and last year had the #1 defense. But they have a coach infamous for blowing playoff games, and last year had the worst special teams. I fully expect them to contend for the division or HFA even, then lose in the first round of the playoffs.

The Lions could be decent as I said, if Stafford stays healthy, the defense gels, and they don't let losing a few games get them in a slide. I see a 9-7 year.

Preseason is for evaluating players, that's really about it.
Agree and see above...

I talked to an ex NFL player and former college coach about situations like this. He said the worst thing to do is impulse fire your coach. But if you have a plan, and know who is out there that will talk to you, how their coaching might fit your team, and what price they'll work for, then do it.

You would think San Diego would have done this two plus years ago. That is, not fired Norm on a whim, but started looking at who was available, and planned it. Sort of like what Seattle did with Pete Carroll (and bringing in Tom Cable, and Gus Bradley), that's smart management. No, Seattle is still going to stink this year, but they have a very promising upside.

You'd think San Diego would have looked at Jeff Fisher, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungee, John Gruden, Brian Schottenheimer (Marty is retired, but Brian is the OC at NYJ and has a very bright future), Mike Martz, Bruce Arians, Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Gregg Williams. Heck I'd even take chances on Josh McDaniels. Find out who would be interested in moving to sunny San Diego and coaching one of the best teams in the NFL for a nice check. I'd guess most of them. You'd have to think if the team planned it out, ANY of these guys could do a better job coaching THIS team than Turner.

Jun 15, 2009
He shouldn´t have been signed first hand. This guy is soooo predictable: 1st and 10; run as much as possible up the middle into the wall (no matter how bad your running game is), giving your QB always long 2nd´s and 3rd´s (It´s a wonder how Rivers besides that all-the-time-pressure situations keeps piling up great passing efficiency numbers).
4th and 1/2? Always punt or kick a FG, no matter if behind, at the GL or in the maroon zone.
Preparing your team in Camp? No, no. Wait until mid season every year and look at another 3-5 start.
The guys at front office in SD are plain imbecile by intentionally wasting the talentest team of the decade. It´s a shame they withheld all football fans in the world of what might be one of the greatest teams in history. :mad:

Oct 25, 2010
Amsterhammer said:
It sure is, but I can tell you that my 43 years as a West Ham fan have been really good training.:(
eeek! yeah, I grew up in K.C and we had season tickets so I spent about ten seasons at the scene of the crime, arrowhead, watching the Chiefs fail badly every year...altho' I knew I shouldn't fall for it...when the chiefs made the playoffs last year I took the hook into my mouth yet again...and of course the old chiefs didn't let me down...got all beaten up by the Ravens in the wildcard game and embarrassed themselves..

Oct 25, 2010
Alpe d'Huez said:
The Chiefs aren't that bad. You could have been a Lions fan all these years.
No, certainly not...but the problem is to have a half good, threatening to be much better team...that leads to perpetual sadness and disappoinment...it can give you complexes! The Lions and maybe being a fan of them...well, you know what you are going to get...no disappointments...

I actually think the Bucs are going to have a good year, but still finish in 3rd in their division. Atlanta and New Orleans are simply going to be better.

I'll try to make some bold predictions in a couple of days of what I think the coming season has in store, including a SB pick.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I talked to an ex NFL player and former college coach about situations like this. He said the worst thing to do is impulse fire your coach. But if you have a plan, and know who is out there that will talk to you, how their coaching might fit your team, and what price they'll work for, then do it.

You would think San Diego would have done this two plus years ago. That is, not fired Norm on a whim, but started looking at who was available, and planned it. Sort of like what Seattle did with Pete Carroll (and bringing in Tom Cable, and Gus Bradley), that's smart management. No, Seattle is still going to stink this year, but they have a very promising upside.

You'd think San Diego would have looked at Jeff Fisher, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungee, John Gruden, Brian Schottenheimer (Marty is retired, but Brian is the OC at NYJ and has a very bright future), Mike Martz, Bruce Arians, Dick LeBeau, Dom Capers, Gregg Williams. Heck I'd even take chances on Josh McDaniels. Find out who would be interested in moving to sunny San Diego and coaching one of the best teams in the NFL for a nice check. I'd guess most of them. You'd have to think if the team planned it out, ANY of these guys could do a better job coaching THIS team than Turner.
Yeah, I agree w/you and FoxyBrown on the Charger uptake. Plus, no way a team as good on paper as SD should have been beaten by the C-Hawks (tho I might have to start calling them the D- or F-Hawks as a way of grading their season).

I agree too the Bucs should be good and fun to watch.

KC is not that bad, but KC is also not that good.

Detroit is on the rise I think. Much reason for hope in MoTown.

But back to the C (D or F)-Hawks: They have had so many coaching changes in the past few years... 2009 Mora as Head coach with his staff... 2010 Carroll is in, Mora out. Also in are Jeremy Bates (OC) & Alex Gibbs (Line)... 2011 Bates out, Bevell in (as OC), Gibbs replacement out (forgot who dat) and Cable in (Line). So in the past 3 years they have had 2 new head coaches, 2 new line coaches, and 2 new offensive coords. That's a lot of adjustments to ask offensive players to make in such a short time span. The good news is, most of the offense is young, and some of the players who were there under former line coaches and OCs are gone too. This is a total retooling job. But if they are to get better, the constant coaching changes are going to have to stop. I hope the new coaches can eventually get the job done once they get all the player pieces in place, and they are not done with that yet. Poor rookies Moffitt (RG) and Carpenter (RT) are going to have a loooooong year ahead of them, and will have to get better.

Oct 29, 2009
Alpe d'Huez said:
I actually think the Bucs are going to have a good hear, but still finish in 3rd in their division. Atlanta and New Orleans are simply going to be better.

I'll try to make some bold predictions in a couple of days of what I think the coming season has in store, including a SB pick.
Perhaps, but NO hasn't shown me any reason to think that they'll be that much better. I think they'll split the season series, and finish within a game of one another again.

On the other hand, the Bucs let Barrett Ruud go in FA, which will prove to be a mistake. The defense may have downgraded a bit for this year, but hey, they have 19.5 million dollars worth of field position. :rolleyes:

The NFC South is the most unpredictable division in football, and one of the most competitive, so it's really hard to say.

I will say thought that it wouldn't shock me if any of those three teams won the division. Atlanta overachieved last year, but they should still be good. I think NO's big value is both experience, and having Mark Ingram there. They may not look great now, but I could see them peaking at the end of the season when it matters most (see: Pittsburgh Steelers).

Tennessee won't be nearly as bad as people think, especially if Johnson signs (and I think he will). Matt Hassleback isn't too old yet, and he's in a system he knows with a very good OL and solid defense, plus Jake Locker is an excellent prospect for the future. I don't see a playoff run this year, but who knows?

Jun 15, 2009
Alpe d'Huez said:
I will say thought that it wouldn't shock me if any of those three teams won the division. Atlanta overachieved last year, but they should still be good. I think NO's big value is both experience, and having Mark Ingram there. They may not look great now, but I could see them peaking at the end of the season when it matters most (see: Pittsburgh Steelers).

Tennessee won't be nearly as bad as people think, especially if Johnson signs (and I think he will). Matt Hassleback isn't too old yet, and he's in a system he knows with a very good OL and solid defense, plus Jake Locker is an excellent prospect for the future. I don't see a playoff run this year, but who knows?
Alpe don´t overvalue the RB´s. They don´t matter. Just have a look at the leaders: Only two of them ever won a SB (Smith and Davis). Da Bears won when their Starting-QB was relatively healthy. The year before and after (with the same great D & RB) nothing good came out. Just look at the past few Champs and SB-Teams. They either had obscure RB´s (NO, Indy, Pitt, GB, NYG, etc. etc.) or none at all (ARZ). Or look the other way around: Behind a great OL everybody shines (Then-126-Total-Career-Yds-Timmy Smith in 88, aging Riggs in 91 behind the Hogs, real old Otis Anderson in 1990 under Parcells etc.). Otherwise i like your analysations. As always. :)

I know i´ll get clobbered for this, but this discussions took place endless times in other Football Forums. History speaks for itself here: Victory comes trou the Air (the perfect beast is a efficient QB/OL-Combo with an at least above avg. Pass-D).

So in the end it´d be a smart move by TEN not to sign Johnson, instead improve in other areas with the saved money...

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Alpe don´t overvalue the RB´s. They don´t matter. Just have a look at the leaders: Only two of them ever won a SB (Smith and Davis). Da Bears won when their Starting-QB was relatively healthy. The year before and after (with the same great D & RB) nothing good came out. Just look at the past few Champs and SB-Teams. They either had obscure RB´s (NO, Indy, Pitt, GB, NYG, etc. etc.) or none at all (ARZ). Or look the other way around: Behind a great OL everybody shines (Then-126-Total-Career-Yds-Timmy Smith in 88, aging Riggs in 91 behind the Hogs, real old Otis Anderson in 1990 under Parcells etc.). Otherwise i like your analysations. As always. :)

I know i´ll get clobbered for this, but this discussions took place endless times in other Football Forums. History speaks for itself here: Victory comes trou the Air (the perfect beast is a efficient QB/OL-Combo with an at least above avg. Pass-D).

So in the end it´d be a smart move by TEN not to sign Johnson, instead improve in other areas with the saved money...
I kind of agree. RB's don't matter as much as the other skill positions. It helps to have a decent RB, but the thing that makes the run game go is the OL. The big concern with Hass in Ten should be his health. I don't know a lot about the Ten OL but they must have been pretty good for Johnson to tear things up last year. That will really help Hass's health, not to mention performance. He can really make the 'D' pay if given time. He just never had time in Seattle.

ASK THE COMMUNITY