• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Washington I think has no hope, ... the Bengals will still stink due to bad ownership and management.

Denver has to play Tebow at some point. The reason being is that there is so much hype and hope surrounding him the fans are going to have to see with their eyes that he can't play before giving up on him.

The 2008 Titans should have won the Superbowl. Swept the Steelers in the regular season. Two bad calls and a really bad late fumble in the playoffs and their season was done.

I'm surprised how much traction this thread has! :)

Redskins has no hope b/c the same applies to them as to the Bengals.

Yes you are perfectly right about Tebow, he will get some chances b/c of the high drafting. As said, as 6th rounder he´d be done already.

Ah no, the Titans wouldn´t have made it in 2008. Collins was sacked only 6 times in the regular season. And what he did behind that Monster-OL? Medicore passing. He´s awful mechanics, thus is very inaccurate. No good come playoff time...

Well, i only open threads that are good enough to attract people. ;)
I just wonder why it took a german guy to bring up the NFL in an american site. :rolleyes:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
OK, McQuaid i think much people wouldn´t know who the guy in the avatar is.
... i get it, Landis 2006 (please in yellow and with champagne) would be great. I didn´t see the sarcasm in 1st place, but now i really like that idea. Take him when you loose.

Yellow for sure. Champagne might be hard to find except the during the final stage to Paris along team car. Maybe upside down, or with dark cloud looming overhead. I'll figure something out... if I loose the bet.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Well, i only open threads that are good enough to attract people. ;)
I just wonder why it took a german guy to bring up the NFL in an american site. :rolleyes:

Well actually I'm not too surprised. This might not be a perfect analogy, but it seems NFL is to Europe what pro cycling is to North America... except that interest in cycling in North America is probably much farther along than interest in the NFL is in Europe. I mean, they have pro (American rules) football (I don't mean soccer) in Finland. And a local who is playing in Finland says the people there are enjoying the game and are great fans. So there must be some descent exposure to the game over there. Either that or you are not really German but are N. American working overseas. ;)

on3m@n@rmy said:
their strategy... suck for Luck. (Sorry I stole that Alpe... like that line too much)...you can probably throw the Skins into the same boat with those two teams.
I didn't think that up, Seahawk fans apparently did. Seattle, Washington, and Buffalo all badly need QB's in the draft, and all three teams have the potential to finish worst in the NFL. Andrew Luck will likely go #1 or #2 overall. Matt Barkley will be the 2nd QB taken and probably go about 3-6. It all depends on their year, and which of these teams gets to pick first. They easily could go 1-2. Either of them should flourish under either Pete Carroll or Mike Shanahan into an NFL star, especially in Seattle which is a better run organization. Buffalo could possibly be an abyss.

Carolina will be just as bad as them, but they don't need a QB. I think Cam Newton is going to have a tough year, but if he and the team can think long term and stick with it, he should be fine in a few years, just as TFF says. Cincy will be just as bad, but I think Andy Daulton has long-term NFL potential. Same with Jake Locker at Tennesee. Same with Cleveland and Colt McCoy. Jacksonville with Blaine Gabbert. Minnesota has an outside chance in the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well actually I'm not too surprised. This might not be a perfect analogy, but it seems NFL is to Europe what pro cycling is to North America... except that interest in cycling in North America is probably much farther along than interest in the NFL is in Europe. I mean, they have pro (American rules) football (I don't mean soccer) in Finland. And a local who is playing in Finland says the people there are enjoying the game and are great fans. So there must be some descent exposure to the game over there. Either that or you are not really German but are N. American working overseas. ;)

Born and raised in germany. Wasted my youth with soccer, then got "infected" by baseball and football in mid 80´s trou German-Cable-TV. Soon after stopped playing soccer and shifted to baseball (mostly pichting; boy i love throwing balls :)), but my true love is football (unluckily to light/small to have played in league ball). That was the short version. The long one is on two different soccer threads. There i explained lenghtly why soccer really $ucks. :D

NFL Europe was great. Sad they stopped b/c greedy owners "couldn´t afford" to keep going. Once i saw the unbelievable thing which i still not trust: Rohan Davey threw the ball over 70 yards from his knee on the eve of the world bowl. And he was talented too. Never completed less than 60%. He truly was in the wrong scheme in New England. The short passing game isn´t his thing. Since he wasn´t high drafted like Russell or Mirer or Tebow etc., he didn´t got any more real chances. Another sad story of wasted talent. And keep in mind: We all would have missed the greatest show on turf, if NFL Europe didn´t gave Warner a chance...

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Ah no, the Titans wouldn´t have made it in 2008. Collins was sacked only 6 times in the regular season. And what he did behind that Monster-OL? Medicore passing. He´s awful mechanics, thus is very inaccurate. No good come playoff time...
Actually we probably would have.

Had Crumpler not fumbled and the refs not completely missed a delay of game on Flacco in the last minutes, (2 whole seconds after the play clock hit zero, they still didn't blow the stupid whistle! :mad:) we would have won the game.

We then would have played Pittsburgh, who we had already beaten late in the regular season. It would have been a toss-up, but we had a legitimate chance.

The Superbowl, well, Arizona was the worst team ever to get there, so we could have won that too.

But we didn't beat Baltimore, and that's the end of it.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
Actually we probably would have.

Had Crumpler not fumbled and the refs not completely missed a delay of game on Flacco in the last minutes, (2 whole seconds after the play clock hit zero, they still didn't blow the stupid whistle! :mad:) we would have won the game.

We then would have played Pittsburgh, who we had already beaten late in the regular season. It would have been a toss-up, but we had a legitimate chance.

The Superbowl, well, Arizona was the worst team ever to get there, so we could have won that too.

But we didn't beat Baltimore, and that's the end of it.

Yes the refs, a different story.... :mad:
Actually they stole Warner two SB´s and of course them Seahawks too. Either Vegas should be forbidden or the refs should be paid better...

Anyway; no way the Titans reach or even win the SB behind a QB who can´t even shine behind a monster OL. The Detmer sisters themselves were able to have some kind of career when being protected. So at some point in the playoffs the QB is needed. Actually Dilf Dlifer was able to put a string of good games together. Thus he earned to be a SB-QB, even tough some people see it different.

Arizona wasn´t the worst SB-Team. That honor belongs to the NYG of 2007 and/or the 1979-LA Rams. Arizona was in a weak division, so they really didn´t care to loose by 40 something points in end of meaningless regular season games. Came playoffs, they were crushing. The Giants just $sucked into the playoffs and there got more lucky, winning every game by a FG thanks to :)rolleyes:) the little siz of the real Manning.

Your post makes me wonder if you are remembering the 2008 Titans correctly. They were 13-3 in the regular season, beat Baltimore, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh (31-14) in the regular season. One of their losses was the final game against Indy when they sat most players. The Titans had a superb defense, and a solid running game with Chris Johnson and LenDale White. No, Kerry Collins wasn't Tom Brady, not even close. But he wasn't the focus of the club at all, and played fairly well. By all counts they should have stormed right past Baltimore and then Pittsburgh and onto he Superbowl and beaten the Cardinals. But just as Jubiwan said, they didn't.

Did Warner really get cheated out of two SBs? Against the Patriots and Spygate, definitely, but against he Steelers? I don't recall any bad calls in that game. The Steelers-Seahawks SB XL, yes, the refs have even since admitted they blew several calls that changed the outcome of the game, but 2008 Superbowl?

The 2007 NYG aren't the worst SB team ever. You could argue that they were the luckiest, that's probably true. But they had an excellent defense who stopped Brady when they had to. As I (and others) have said if they played 10 times, the Patriots would have won 9 of those games, but that doesn't mean the Giants stunk. Or do you mean the worst SB winner? This may be true. The 2005 Steelers were pretty lucky as well. You could even argue that the Patriots and Jets were better last year than Pittsburgh. But the Steelers won the AFC and beat the team in front of them.

The 2000 Giants (who had Collins, and were stomped by the Ravens) were just as weak. The 1986 Patriots never should have gotten to the SB, nor should have the 1984 Redskins. Both were crushed.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Born and raised in germany. Wasted my youth with soccer, then got "infected" by baseball and football in mid 80´s trou German-Cable-TV. Soon after stopped playing soccer and shifted to baseball (mostly pichting; boy i love throwing balls :)), but my true love is football (unluckily to light/small to have played in league ball). That was the short version. The long one is on two different soccer threads. There i explained lenghtly why soccer really $ucks. :D ...

I vaguely recall the 'attitude' in those posts. :)

BTW, we gotta have time limits on this avatar bet... like one month or something having to sport the horrid thing. Whatever you think. I don't think either of us would want to sport them for life. :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Cam Newton played tonight for Carolina. Didn't look either great or poor. Not the best stats, but played well. Odd man out in Carolina is Jim Claussen who they took in the 1st round of the draft last year, but now gets to sit behind Newton.

Yes, that´s a longtime problem in the NFL. The scouting of college QB´s (and of course other position players) is overrated and leads to some real draft busts (Shuler, Mirer, Akili Smith, Leaf, to name a few). I don´t wanna take away from those men who are real experts in football, but to extract individual performance from team performance in football is a very difficult task. That leads to overrating of players starring in big colleges and underrating of players from small colleges (Warner was completely missed, Brady, Rypien were 6th rounders, to name a few).
If you are interested, i strongly recommend advanced NFL-Stats. They had great studies and articles about QB-Performance compared to draft position (and of course other great readings about game theory, etc.). In short: There is no per play performance difference between QB´s picked in late rounds to those picked in early rounds, even tough early picked QB´s had longer careers only b/c they were given more chances to play (those 6th rounders only have one shot, while for example Russell had 4 years to show he can´t make it).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I vaguely recall the 'attitude' in those posts. :)

BTW, we gotta have time limits on this avatar bet... like one month or something having to sport the horrid thing. Whatever you think. I don't think either of us would want to sport them for life. :D

No, i wanted to have it on for the next cycling season (Feb.-Spt./Okt.) which in the (almost) same time is the NFL-Off-Season. Perfectly fitting.
Even if i loose, it should be funny. Guys might think i got brainwashed to have a Armstrong-Avatar. ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Your post makes me wonder if you are remembering the 2008 Titans correctly. They were 13-3 in the regular season, beat Baltimore, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh (31-14) in the regular season. One of their losses was the final game against Indy when they sat most players. The Titans had a superb defense, and a solid running game with Chris Johnson and LenDale White. No, Kerry Collins wasn't Tom Brady, not even close. But he wasn't the focus of the club at all, and played fairly well. By all counts they should have stormed right past Baltimore and then Pittsburgh and onto he Superbowl and beaten the Cardinals. But just as Jubiwan said, they didn't.

You agree with me, while disagreeing. ;)
Yes sure they had a great defense and great running game (thanks to that monster OL). And yes Collins isn´t Brady. Again i agree. He played fairly well. But that´s no good behind a OL giving up only 6 (!!!) sacks. Every other NFL-Starting-QB would have crushed opposing defenses behind such a Line, and as i said: at some point in the playoffs you need a good QB to win it all. Collins has awful mechanics (= inaccurate = up and down sundays). He had a long career b/c; see my next to last post about high drafted QB´s.
That leads me to the "would have". I highly doubt they beat the Cardinals in the SB (or even Pitt´s Pass-D), where Warner had another monster game against the best NFL-Passing-Defense, and almost prevailed.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Did Warner really get cheated out of two SBs? Against the Patriots and Spygate, definitely, but against he Steelers? I don't recall any bad calls in that game. The Steelers-Seahawks SB XL, yes, the refs have even since admitted they blew several calls that changed the outcome of the game, but 2008 Superbowl?

During that 100-Yard-INT-Return there were at least two holdings. It was ridiculous.:mad: Never ever should Pitt have scored 7 points on that play. ARZ was flagged trou-out the game in important situations. Still against all odds, Warner did a amazing comeback. And then came the last play: The "Brady-Rule" (Warner´s arm clearly moved forward and thus should have been called incomplete instead of basically game ending fumble) should have been applied here = at least two more chances for Warner. It still angers me up today. Pitt got handed 2 SB´s in the last 6 seasons. Good for the rapist QB, bad for the real fans. Thanks god GB prevailed last season.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The 2007 NYG aren't the worst SB team ever. You could argue that they were the luckiest, that's probably true. But they had an excellent defense who stopped Brady when they had to. As I (and others) have said if they played 10 times, the Patriots would have won 9 of those games, but that doesn't mean the Giants stunk. Or do you mean the worst SB winner? This may be true. The 2005 Steelers were pretty lucky as well. You could even argue that the Patriots and Jets were better last year than Pittsburgh. But the Steelers won the AFC and beat the team in front of them.

The 2000 Giants (who had Collins, and were stomped by the Ravens) were just as weak. The 1986 Patriots never should have gotten to the SB, nor should have the 1984 Redskins. Both were crushed.

We don´t have to agree here, but for what i saw, the NYG got tremdously lucky to win it all in 2007, making them the worst ever Team to reach/and win the SB. I not only mean "the Catch", but how they stumbled trou the regular season (10-6, with a just above average 22 net point differential) and post season (winning by 10, 4, 3, 3). And their "excellent" defense gave up a lousy 22 PPG during the regular season ("good" for the 2nd worst ever performance of any team reaching the SB, next to ARZ 2008 ;)). The problem is, people only remember the big events (in this case, the lucky win over NE) and tend to ignore the whole picture. I also fall into this trap sometimes.

The 2005 Steelers stormed trou the playoffs behind Roethlisbergers super efficient passing. Again, people are trapped and only remember the (lousy) last game vs. Seattle.

OTOH, Arizona, even tough they had the worst regular season net point differential of all SB-Teams, had a fairly good post season (building big leads behind Warner´s sensationel efficient passing in all three wins).

The 2000 NYG (besides Collins rollercoaster performances), 86-Pats and 84-Skins all had better records, point differentials and playoffs than the NYG 2007. You can´t really say they were worse.

Anyway, great to discuss some good old football. :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yes, that´s a longtime problem in the NFL. The scouting of college QB´s (and of course other position players) is overrated and leads to some real draft busts (Shuler, Mirer, Akili Smith, Leaf, to name a few).
Mirer was actually rookie of the year - it was downhill from there. But yes, plenty more than what you list. Ja Russell obviously. But also Andre Ware, Joey Harrington, Todd Blackledge, Cade McNown, Tim Couch, Jim Druckenmiller, David Klingler, Todd Marinovich, etc. All came into the league with high hopes, all were mediocre at best.

Speaking of Harrington. He's from my home town and was recently badly hurt when hit by a car riding his bike. Broken collarbone, broken ribs, punctured lung. Hit his head but had a helmet on which saved him at least a severe concussion. Is recovering well at home.

But of course team chemistry and coaching have a lot to do with how well a QB lasts and adapts. Take a look at Alex Smith. Taken #1 by SF, huge talent. Huge. But after five years and about 4 head coaches, 5 OC's, and 6 different offensive schemes - all of which were failures - plus an undiagnosed broken bone on his throwing shoulder for a year, it's amazing that the guys confidence wasn't completely shattered. I still think on a solid team with a solid program, the guy could be a Pro Bowl QB...maybe.

With Jim Claussen, the guy was Carolina's #1 pick last year, hardly played that much as the entire team stunk, and they already have given up on him in favor of Newton. I just hope they trade Claussen and given Cam more of a chance.

Regarding that Titan team:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
...I highly doubt they beat the Cardinals in the SB (or even Pitt´s Pass-D)
You're forgetting they pulverized that same Pittsburgh team in week 12 of the regular season, 31-14. Kerry Collins was no worse than the 2000 Trent Dilfer of the Ravens, who won a SB.

I had forgotten the calls in that Superbowl between Pitts and Ariz. I'd like to see that game again, mostly for Warner's heroics too. He really played like the MVP in that game if I recall.

Good for the rapist QB, bad for the real fans. Thanks god GB prevailed last season.
:eek:

I think the Steelers were lucky and got some bad calls their way, and get tired of them winning, but I don't dislike them that much. Sheesh!

The 2005 Steelers stormed trough the playoffs behind Roethlisbergers super efficient passing. Again, people are trapped and only remember the (lousy) last game vs. Seattle.
Actually, wasn't that the year they should have lost the game against the Colts but Vanderjack missed a gimmie FG at the end, after making some 30 in a row in the regular season? I remember that game being close and filled with penalties and mistakes, though in the end the Colts "should" have won with that FG.

Good stats and comments on the 2007 Giants. Like I said before (or someone said before me) if they played the Patriots 10 times, the Giants would have lost 9 of those games. But on that day they won. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good.

Indeed! Makes me excited for the season!

Whew!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Mirer was actually rookie of the year - it was downhill from there. But yes, plenty more than what you list. Ja Russell obviously. But also Andre Ware, Joey Harrington, Todd Blackledge, Cade McNown, Tim Couch, Jim Druckenmiller, David Klingler, Todd Marinovich, etc. All came into the league with high hopes, all were mediocre at best.

I think they choose Mirer b/c always a RB or QB wins Rookie/MVP honors. As far as i remember that year only two Rookie-QB were starting. So it was a free gift for Mirer. His rating that year was an ugly 67. I know Passer-Rating isn´t the best stat available, but if you score that low, it says something (BigMac OTOH had a 82-Rating when he was Rookie; in the cold hard winters of Chicago. Damn his playing style was too gutsy, leading to a injury plagued career). But i know you have to defend your Seahawks. ;)
Otherwise, you are absolutely right. I think we could expand the Bust-List even more (Schlichter, Dan McGwire, Couch, Quinn, etc. etc.). It might be endless.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Speaking of Harrington. He's from my home town and was recently badly hurt when hit by a car riding his bike. Broken collarbone, broken ribs, punctured lung. Hit his head but had a helmet on which saved him at least a severe concussion. Is recovering well at home.

Oh, i missed that. Hope he recovers. We all know the dangers of cycling.

Alpe d'Huez said:
But of course team chemistry and coaching have a lot to do with how well a QB lasts and adapts. Take a look at Alex Smith. Taken #1 by SF, huge talent. Huge. But after five years and about 4 head coaches, 5 OC's, and 6 different offensive schemes - all of which were failures - plus an undiagnosed broken bone on his throwing shoulder for a year, it's amazing that the guys confidence wasn't completely shattered. I still think on a solid team with a solid program, the guy could be a Pro Bowl QB...maybe.

You might be right here, but OTOH even QB-Guru Martz didn´t like him. He choose JT O´Sullivan over him until Singletary forced Martz out. BTW, Singletary has no clue about play calling and offense. A real HC-Bust.

Alpe d'Huez said:
With Jim Claussen, the guy was Carolina's #1 pick last year, hardly played that much as the entire team stunk, and they already have given up on him in favor of Newton. I just hope they trade Claussen and given Cam more of a chance.

That´s a real sad story. I saw Claussen once. He didn´t look that bad, given the guys who "protected" him. He shall get another chance.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Regarding that Titan team:

You're forgetting they pulverized that same Pittsburgh team in week 12 of the regular season, 31-14. Kerry Collins was no worse than the 2000 Trent Dilfer of the Ravens, who won a SB.
Absolutely right, Dilfer was as bad in the regular season, but he played his best that year in the playoffs. Even the best Defense by far needed good Passing performances in the playoffs (example the 96-Yd-TDP to Sharpe).

Alpe d'Huez said:
I had forgotten the calls in that Superbowl between Pitts and Ariz. I'd like to see that game again, mostly for Warner's heroics too. He really played like the MVP in that game if I recall.

That was a fantastic comeback by Warner. But i don´t wanna see the game again, b/c i might throw up if i see all the bad calls again.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think the Steelers were lucky and got some bad calls their way, and get tired of them winning, but I don't dislike them that much. Sheesh!
Actually i really liked the Steelers until the SB vs. Seattle. Since then, plus the questionable behaviour of Roethlisberger, i always feel great when they loose. More than the Pats who stole the Rams a SB. So that says a lot.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Actually, wasn't that the year they should have lost the game against the Colts but Vanderjack missed a gimmie FG at the end, after making some 30 in a row in the regular season? I remember that game being close and filled with penalties and mistakes, though in the end the Colts "should" have won with that FG.

Vanderjagt always busted under pressure. Here is a good link:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_664_Vander_-_f'in_-_shank.html

Alpe d'Huez said:
Good stats and comments on the 2007 Giants. Like I said before (or someone said before me) if they played the Patriots 10 times, the Giants would have lost 9 of those games. But on that day they won. As the old saying goes, I'd rather be lucky than good.

Indeed! Makes me excited for the season!

Whew!

Thanks. And yes it will be a great month, for doing sports at home (LOL): Vuelta, NFL and Track-Worlds. :)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You agree with me, while disagreeing. ;)

That leads me to the "would have". I highly doubt they beat the Cardinals in the SB (or even Pitt´s Pass-D), where Warner had another monster game against the best NFL-Passing-Defense, and almost prevailed.

During that 100-Yard-INT-Return there were at least two holdings. It was ridiculous.:mad: Never ever should Pitt have scored 7 points on that play. ARZ was flagged trou-out the game in important situations. Still against all odds, Warner did a amazing comeback. And then came the last play: The "Brady-Rule" (Warner´s arm clearly moved forward and thus should have been called incomplete instead of basically game ending fumble) should have been applied here = at least two more chances for Warner. It still angers me up today. Pitt got handed 2 SB´s in the last 6 seasons. Good for the rapist QB, bad for the real fans. Thanks god GB prevailed last season.

The 2005 Steelers stormed trou the playoffs behind Roethlisbergers super efficient passing. Again, people are trapped and only remember the (lousy) last game vs. Seattle.

OTOH, Arizona, even tough they had the worst regular season net point differential of all SB-Teams, had a fairly good post season (building big leads behind Warner´s sensationel efficient passing in all three wins).

The 2000 NYG (besides Collins rollercoaster performances), 86-Pats and 84-Skins all had better records, point differentials and playoffs than the NYG 2007. You can´t really say they were worse.

Not calling that an incomplete pass still angers me. Even more angering is that the announcers didn't even discuss it and the game was assumed over. There was still plenty of time for warner to march the cards 40 yards down the field. Nothing like gift wrapping the superbowl for Pittsburgh.

I can't stand all the talk about the class of the steelers organization with roethlisberger doing his thing in sketch hotel rooms, ward getting a DUI, harrison running his mouth like he is a spokesman for the defensive players, and woodley foolishly leapfrogging himself up the ignoramus list with his dumb comments.

last year here in AUS we were getting 2-3 games a week live (and some college games), hopefully that is the case this year as i do like to watch a bit of american football.

used to play here in aus when i was a bit younger, but my body couldn't take it so had to leave it after a couple of seasons.

as a kid i was a big packers fan (back when don majkowski was their QB) but not having watched consistently for a number of years these days i tend to pick a pretty mediocre team at the start of the year and barrack for them :D

not sure who it's going to be this year.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Not calling that an incomplete pass still angers me. Even more angering is that the announcers didn't even discuss it and the game was assumed over. There was still plenty of time for warner to march the cards 40 yards down the field. Nothing like gift wrapping the superbowl for Pittsburgh.

I can't stand all the talk about the class of the steelers organization with roethlisberger doing his thing in sketch hotel rooms, ward getting a DUI, harrison running his mouth like he is a spokesman for the defensive players, and woodley foolishly leapfrogging himself up the ignoramus list with his dumb comments.

1+
Exactly the same way i feel.
Pitt couldn´t stop Warner in the 2nd half. He threw like something 200 yards in the 4th Qtr. alone. No way Pitt stops him on the last two plays, if they´d have taken place... Next to SL-NE 2001 and SEA-PIT 2005 the worst officiated (manipulated) SB.
Big mouth Harrison... :mad: To bad he didn´t stand to his words and retire. Roethlisberger, called "Big Ben"? What a joke. He´s a very good QB, but always depended on Refs and his Defense. And kids really shouldn´t look up to this guy as role model. He´s a talented criminal. No more, no less.

leftover pie said:
last year here in AUS we were getting 2-3 games a week live (and some college games), hopefully that is the case this year as i do like to watch a bit of american football.

used to play here in aus when i was a bit younger, but my body couldn't take it so had to leave it after a couple of seasons.

as a kid i was a big packers fan (back when don majkowski was their QB) but not having watched consistently for a number of years these days i tend to pick a pretty mediocre team at the start of the year and barrack for them :D

not sure who it's going to be this year.

Yeah "The Majik Man". :) 80´s Football was the best as was cycling (called "golden age" by Fignon).
To bad that in 1990 he was seriously injured, basically ending his career. But his 89-Season was true magical.
You want a mediocre team? Take the Houston Texans. They are exciting to watch, they just need to find any kind of Defense.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Vanderjagt always busted under pressure. Here is a good link:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_664_Vander_-_f'in_-_shank.html

That's a great link, and summed up that game pretty well as I remember it! Numerous mistakes, fumbles, penalties, blown calls, and that infamous botched kick by Vanderjack. "A classic battle of who wanted it less"! :D

Uh, I'm not really a Seahawk fan. They are one of the teams I like (I sort of have a sliding scale). If you really want to use me for a punching bag, I'm an Oakland Raiders fan. You can bring on the senile Al Davis and Jamarcus Russell jokes now!

In the draft Seattle took Mirer, it was more of a "Suck for Bledsoe" year. But they weren't quite as bad of a team as New England, who got him. Seattle was then stuck with the second banana, Mirer, and you know the rest. As I recall correctly fans were wanting Seattle to pass on Mirer with the 2nd pick, and take DT Lincoln Kennedy instead, then pick up Mark Brunell in round 2 or 3. Kennedy was taken 9th, and Brunell dropped to the 5th round. Both Brunell and Kennedy would go on to long, Pro Bowl careers. In the 8th round another Pro Bowl QB was taken, Trent Green.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
That's a great link, and summed up that game pretty well as I remember it! Numerous mistakes, fumbles, penalties, blown calls, and that infamous botched kick by Vanderjack. "A classic battle of who wanted it less"! :D

Uh, I'm not really a Seahawk fan. They are one of the teams I like (I sort of have a sliding scale). If you really want to use me for a punching bag, I'm an Oakland Raiders fan. You can bring on the senile Al Davis and Jamarcus Russell jokes now!

In the draft Seattle took Mirer, it was more of a "Suck for Bledsoe" year. But they weren't quite as bad of a team as New England, who got him. Seattle was then stuck with the second banana, Mirer, and you know the rest. As I recall correctly fans were wanting Seattle to pass on Mirer with the 2nd pick, and take DT Lincoln Kennedy instead, then pick up Mark Brunell in round 2 or 3. Kennedy was taken 9th, and Brunell dropped to the 5th round. Both Brunell and Kennedy would go on to long, Pro Bowl careers. In the 8th round another Pro Bowl QB was taken, Trent Green.

Al Davis best times are behind him, but i also think the worst since Russell is gone (BTW, where is he now? In Canada or Arena or just living off his monster bonus like Leaf?).
Last year was a big improvement, things seem to settle down after all the chaos... You´ve got a good QB now, Al Davis isn´t Ford or Snyder (which is good), and you have a weak division: KC lacks a passing game, SD´s talent is wasted by the worst Coach in all sports since forever, Denver is re-building. I smell playoffs for the Raiders. Honestly.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
You want a mediocre team? Take the Houston Texans. They are exciting to watch, they just need to find any kind of Defense.

alright i'm on board, for the next 5 months i'll be a dyed-in-the-wool houston texans supporter.

are they the old oilers or something?

warren moon and the run & shoot offence. now there was a team that promised a lot and delivered very little.

background: I took an avatar bet with FoxxyBrown1111 on the number of games the Atlanta Falcons will win... he took 8, I took 11. The loser gets to sport his losing avatar for one cycling season. He took LA, and I took Floyd Landis from 2006 in yellow and w/champagne.

Oh Nooooooooo! Look what Landis has done to me now. I'm so gonna not want to sport that FL avatar. GO FALCONS!!! (Pulease!)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-contadors-coach-was-a-drug-trafficker

Alpe d'Huez said:

While Mirer was a draft bust, at least Seattle got off the hook by trading Mirer to the Bears for a first round draft pick, which Seattle used the following year to draft CB Shawn Springs. Springs made the Pro Bowl in 1999 and had two more good years before being slowed by injuries. But Seattle has repeated making draft blunders too many times. The latest confirmed bust... 2005 first rounder C Chris Spencer, now with the Bears as a backup.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
background: I took an avatar bet with FoxxyBrown1111 on the number of games the Atlanta Falcons will win... he took 8, I took 11. The loser gets to sport his losing avatar for one cycling season. He took LA, and I took Floyd Landis from 2006 in yellow and w/champagne.

Oh Nooooooooo! Look what Landis has done to me now. I'm so gonna not want to sport that FL avatar. GO FALCONS!!! (Pulease!)
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landis-contadors-coach-was-a-drug-trafficker

I'll estimate you have an 80% chance of winning that bet, maybe even a little better. Considering Atlanta has won at least 9 games in the past three years and this is the strongest squad they've had and Ryan is getting better and better.

TRENDING THREADS