• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 541 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes! Agree with everything.

The year he didn’t was 2002 when they went 9-7 and lost the tie breaker with Jets and Dolphins finishing 9-7 as well but NE put up more points. He and the teams only Super Bowl hangover year.

To add on the list of rings that could have been, 2006 and 2015 are definitely possible. 2006 they were leading and he gave the team the lead with 3 minutes left and they lost. 2015 they came storming back in a game he and the team were absolutely bullied and a missed Gostkowski PAT away from tying that game and most likely winning in overtime with how Manning was deteriorating as the game wore on. I think they’d be guaranteed to beat Bears and Panthers.

Then a crazy thing, he lead a drive in every Super Bowl bar two to take the lead in the fourth quarter or tie it.
2001 driving 53 yards in 1:21 to win set up the game winner.
2003 driving 68 yards in 4:02 for a touchdown to take the lead with 2:51 left in the game and then 37 yards in 1:04 to set up the game winner.
2004 driving 66 yards in 4:51 for a touchdown to take the lead with 13:44 left and then driving 43 yards in 3:49 to make it a 10 point game with 8:40 left.
2007 driving 80 yards in 5:12 for a touchdown to lead with 2:42 and then almost had what most likely would have been the Super Bowl throw and catch on that deep ball to Moss that was maybe a yard short off his fingertips.
2011 the offense last scored in the 3rd quarter to be up 17-9. If the Welker pass is completed they’re in at least field goal territory with 4:00 left.
2014 driving 64 yards in 4:50 for a touchdown and the lead after being down 10 points to the Legion of Boom to start the fourth quarter with 2:02 left.
2016 driving 91 yards in 2:33 for a touchdown and 2 point conversion to tie the game coming back 25 points and then leading the 75 yards in 3:58 to win the game.
2017 driving 75 yards in 4:47 for a touchdown to take the lead after being down 22-12 at the half with 9:22 left.
2018 driving 69 yards in 2:49 for a touchdown to take the lead and 72 yards in 3:05 to make it a 10 point game with 1:12 left.
2020 when he didn’t even have to go out in the fourth quarter because they were winning 31-9 and Gabbert could have got some reps in.

He has played an extra 47 games. Yes, he didn’t play his full rookie year and missed a year in 2008 but his age stayed the same and he made up for it with the extra games. With those two years removed he was in the Super Bowl 50% of his career and in the Championship game 14 times. He had a MVP type year last year, especially with Covid going to a 7-9 team with no offseason or preseason to win with a team that all they knew was losing and how he totally changed their attitude. To then have a MVP season this year and which I believe he should win due to the fact the team relied on him to win the games far more then Rodgers, making him the most valuable player to his team. All at an age no one has done it at.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1488573720776134661?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

He also has the most touchdowns of anyone over 40 win 9.

The haters can say it’s luck and all the defense but someone isn’t lucky and have the defense bail him out for 22 years. They can complain about the dinking and dunking all they want but that is how you help your defense. Football is complementary and if the offense isn’t helping the defense, the defense can’t help the offense. They can bring up about 4-0 but there is also 4-14 vs 7-3 and 10-20 in a time with the NFL wanting parity. Any team or player would rather have the 6 extra trips to the Super Bowl vs being 4-0. He was called the Comeback Kid for a reason in college. There is a reason every NFL team when they played against him it was like their Super Bowl and a huge deal if they won. There is a reason not a single player teammate or otherwise has a bad thing to say about him. There is a reason his teammates say they all play harder for him. That was always there, all that Belichick did was polish his dusty diamond into a shiny one. His stats, wins, and achievements don’t lie. His leadership, dedication, commitment, form, knowledge, decision making, throwing motion, and pocket movement don’t lie. That is everything you would want in your quarterback. And he never took credit, always giving it to his teammates and always took the blame for their losses, no matter how great to terrible he played.

He retired when he could have played for at least another year, maybe even to 50. He beat Father Time when it was undefeated. He is the biggest draft steal in history, maybe the history of all team sports. He is the Comeback Kid. He is Tom Terrific. He is the greatest quarterback of all time and the greatest player for majority. He is football’s Eddy Merckx

Adam didn’t get himself in field goal range and he gave the Patriots the lead with a touchdown drive previously against the Panthers. Seattle is also even extremely, extremely lucky to be even at the goal line. The way the end was played, they played themselves into having to pass the ball either on 2nd or 3rd and they picked the down that it is still 50/50 if it’s a pass and a play that has been a 100% for them. When Lynch had a terrible record needing 2 yards or less that year. Many teams “choked” against them. When someone has a history of comebacks and winning at the last minute, that will scare anyone. Especially when the Patriots had been moving the ball previously, they just had the turnovers. The luck in these wins is no where close to the Giants loses.

When it’s that close, you’re talking a play or a bounce, sometimes here, sometimes there, there’s a bit of luck. Just like the Sherman’s play on Crabtree to send the Hawks to the SB, when it looked like Kaepernick was on a roll on the final drive. Then the following season the comeback against the Packers or the Blair Walsh miss in subzero temps in Minneapolis. Every team is going to have some close wins and some close losses that can be attributed to luck, or fortune, if you like.

Reactions: jmdirt
When it’s that close, you’re talking a play or a bounce, sometimes here, sometimes there, there’s a bit of luck. Just like the Sherman’s play on Crabtree to send the Hawks to the SB, when it looked like Kaepernick was on a roll on the final drive. Then the following season the comeback against the Packers or the Blair Walsh miss in subzero temps in Minneapolis. Every team is going to have some close wins and some close losses that can be attributed to luck, or fortune, if you like.
There’s a ball bouncing your way luck and there are a no penalty, escape a sack, and pinned on your helmet with a ball getting deflected and bouncing around your lap before you catch it luck. The only luck the Patriots had like that was Edelman’s catch. There is luck that you make yourself and there is luck that seems by a higher power. That’s what I mean with the difference. We could both invest in stocks; you do your research and invest in one and down the road it hits big while I randomly pick one and hit it big. Two different lucks, maybe even more.

I like Kupp's style of play..I like the fact that the Bears staff is trying to preserve their quarterback..I think that Covid, coaching and injuries have NO Saints in the impossible position of a complete offense do over..and the most disturbing thing..the most myopic of the year is Josh Allen..is he big? Sure,special? Sure..but come on,history says wildcat, designed QB running plays end in disaster..maybe not day of or one season but watching Allen start and Tom Terrific finish,got to know that not being a designated runner kept Brady in the game and will take Josh Allen out of it

Oh boy that 58 page lawsuit was spicy. Doesn’t look good at all, especially if true of Ross trying to bribe him into losing games and to tamper with whoever the “prominent quarterback” (people are already theorizing Watson, Rivers, or Brady) was and Giants with the Rooney Rule but already selecting someone else. Then his statement about the Broncos showing up to his interview hungover or intoxicated just to meet the minority quota.

Reactions: SafeBet and jmdirt
Dirt growing up in Arizona I have listened and witnessed plenty of dumb that involved *** rhetoric
speaking of Redskins..I watched the ESPN 30 for 30 film titled
Year of the Scab..about the replacement players from an NFL labor strike..great documentary in my opinion..
And speaking of ESPN..I watched a @10 minute long story about Dolphins,Giants, Patriots coach and a wrong number text and a lawsuit..this is an absolutely crazy story..in every way

Agree on Cupp for MVP. I think I posted this around week 17.

That Flores story is indeed crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if it's at least 90% true, though may be hard to prove. But at the same time, he's coming across as downright bitter, and I think that's going to make him toxic to other teams, especially when the talk out of Miami was he was very hard for players and other coaches, staff, to deal with. He still has a chance at Houston I suppose, as that team is a train wreck job few people want, and he could, maybe, get Watson to play (unless he ends up suspended, or worse, in jail).

Interesting about Harbaugh (probably) signing with Minnesota. I would think the situation in Vegas would have been more appealing. But maybe Davis made that call and simply chose the Ziegler/McDaniels duo instead. While I liked Bisaccia, a lot. And he alone was better than Gruden and Maycock combined, I can see why the Raiders moved on. It rarely works when a coach, who may or may not be true HC material is kept, and a new GM is hired. My gut tells me with a lot of cap room coming up, especially in 2024, the Raiders may dump Carr and just re-build, re-mold. While Carr is pretty good, and a dedicated Raider, he's also paid a lot, at the point in his contract where he'd be fairly easy to move. There's talk of Jimmy G coming to the Raiders as a stop-gap for 1-3 years. Not sure he's better than Carr, but they would both know he's only the guy for a couple years.

Commanders. Hmmm. Okay. Better than the old name. I'm living in AZ now too, at least for another couple months. Not my first time here. People aren't going to like me saying this, but I think the loss of a Native American team (brand, livery, call it what you will) is going to maybe disappoint as many people who were upset with the name Redskins. Lots of Natives liked that team, if not the name at all. I wish they would have gone with Red Wolves, which could have still had Native American connotations. But Washington was worried about lawsuits from other brands, teams in other sports (Chattanooga, Arkansas State). As if there are no other teams named Cowboys, Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, etc. Or Commanders for that matter. Too many damned lawyers. Agree that animal names are about as safe and generic as it gets.

I have a new team, ready made, for Aaron Rodgers: Tampa Bay. It needs a QB. It's warm. It has a lot of good players and could win now. Plus it's in the south, where the governor shares his same thoughts on Covid and his politics would fit in well.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
Agree on Cupp for MVP. I think I posted this around week 17.

That Flores story is indeed crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if it's at least 90% true, though may be hard to prove. But at the same time, he's coming across as downright bitter, and I think that's going to make him toxic to other teams, especially when the talk out of Miami was he was very hard for players and other coaches, staff, to deal with. He still has a chance at Houston I suppose, as that team is a train wreck job few people want, and he could, maybe, get Watson to play (unless he ends up suspended, or worse, in jail).

Interesting about Harbaugh (probably) signing with Minnesota. I would think the situation in Vegas would have been more appealing. But maybe Davis made that call and simply chose the Ziegler/McDaniels duo instead. While I liked Bisaccia, a lot. And he alone was better than Gruden and Maycock combined, I can see why the Raiders moved on. It rarely works when a coach, who may or may not be true HC material is kept, and a new GM is hired. My gut tells me with a lot of cap room coming up, especially in 2024, the Raiders may dump Carr and just re-build, re-mold. While Carr is pretty good, and a dedicated Raider, he's also paid a lot, at the point in his contract where he'd be fairly easy to move. There's talk of Jimmy G coming to the Raiders as a stop-gap for 1-3 years. Not sure he's better than Carr, but they would both know he's only the guy for a couple years.

Commanders. Hmmm. Okay. Better than the old name. I'm living in AZ now too, at least for another couple months. Not my first time here. People aren't going to like me saying this, but I think the loss of a Native American team (brand, livery, call it what you will) is going to maybe disappoint as many people who were upset with the name Redskins. Lots of Natives liked that team, if not the name at all. I wish they would have gone with Red Wolves, which could have still had Native American connotations. But Washington was worried about lawsuits from other brands, teams in other sports (Chattanooga, Arkansas State). As if there are no other teams named Cowboys, Eagles, Tigers, Panthers, etc. Or Commanders for that matter. Too many damned lawyers. Agree that animal names are about as safe and generic as it gets.

I have a new team, ready made, for Aaron Rodgers: Tampa Bay. It needs a QB. It's warm. It has a lot of good players and could win now. Plus it's in the south, where the governor shares his same thoughts on Covid and his politics would fit in well.
The NFL must be ripping their hair out after a great season, almost done, on the field. The Gruden and Watson stories gone quiet, the Ruggs tragedy on the fade and now the Flores business which will be enthusiastically embraced by commentators such as Stephen A Smith and will presumably still be contentious all the way up to the next draft. They will be hoping the QB market expected moves will deflect some of the off season controversy I suppose.

Commanders will be too strong for some..........it doesn't take much these days...
My cousin was a commander in the Navy for several years. I just asked him, and after some thought, he's offended by the name. He actually put his life on the line, led men into actual battle where they risked their lives. For a football team to diminish, even degrade, such a prestigious position in our military while playing games is completely insensitive and insulting to all those who served.

(How'd I do?! :nomouth:o_O:laughing::sunglasses:)

Didn't I post a pretty similar thought a few days ago? Wondering why on earth Rodgers would want to play in the same division as Mahomes? Maybe Dan Orlovsky reads this thread. :)

He focuses on QB's, but I also focused on the division and conference. If Rodgers wants to win, GB is his best shot. Sure, Denver has talent. But GB has more, now. Plus in a division with two new opposing HC's, maybe new QB's, and the rebuilding Lions. Compare that to having to play KC, LAC, and LV twice each.

I'll say what I did before, TB is a better fit. Easier division, pretty complete team, great coach, anti-vax governor. https://sportsnaut.com/aaron-rodgers-trade-tampa-bay-buccaneers-evaluation/

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93