• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 556 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not too many "terrible" picks by teams. I think the Packers did well, to be honest despite not grabbing a top WR. They got two very good D players, Walker an especially good pick and fit for their needs, and an explosive WR with Watson as an early pick in Rd 2, followed by Sean Rhyan, apparently a physical freak who can play multiple positions on the OL.

Giants and Jets had high picks and got loads of talent. Picking up Thibodeaux, and then getting Neal are great needs fills for the Giants. Rare for a CB to go as high as Sauce did to the Jets, but this fills a glaring need in a division with Josh Allen. Unquestionably the top DB in the whole draft. Also taking Garrett Wilson instead of trading to get Deebo I think is the right thing for the Jets, now. Jermaine Johnson also fell all the way to them at the bottom of the round. The Jets have had so many bad drafts, this one looks hopeful. I like what Detroit did too. All those teams need a lot of help, but I'm most glad Detroit didn't take a QB. Goff may not be the guy that gets them to a SB, but on one on the board is better than he is.

All the talk of Willis going before Pickett, but I think Pittsburgh is the one team Pickett can do well on. Surprised Riddler was taken by Atlanta, before Willis, who ended up in Tennessee. Matt Corrall fell all the way to Carolina, who has to be happy to get a potential starter at QB in the 3rd round. This could be a blessing for all of these guys in that they're not expected to perform quickly.

Surprised Kenneth Walker dropped as far as he did, but good for Seattle. Looks like the Seahawks are going to find another path to their future QB, and I like their draft overall. Two OL's and Mafe an OLB/Edge hybrid. Curious how they'll play him.

Love the overworked writer Nolan Bianchi who wrote about the Oakland Raiders pick.

Speaking of the Raiders, interesting that they chose not to pick up the options for Josh Jacobs, Jonathan Abram, or Clelin Ferrell. Not extending Jacobs is a little surprising. Abram has been hurt much his career, and just average between moments of looking good, and Ferrell, who Gruden and Maycock took with the overall #4 pick, which was a such a head scratcher it took ESPN a few minutes to find film of him (okay, not a few minutes, but they were shocked), even though Gruden and Maycock assured us they were the smartest guys in the room. Well, Ferrell has been pretty much a near total bust. Dave Zigler and Josh McDaniels quickly asserting their new direction here.

Mayfield, and Deebo still in Cleveland and SF...for now. A little surprised Samuel didn't go. Not surprised Mayfield still in Cleveland, at least until the dust appears to settle with Watson. I mean, let's just say Watson's suspended for the season. I'd rather have a lame duck Mayfield as my QB than who's next? Joshua Dobbs?

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Not too many "terrible" picks by teams. I think the Packers did well, to be honest despite not grabbing a top WR. They got two very good D players, Walker an especially good pick and fit for their needs, and an explosive WR with Watson as an early pick in Rd 2, followed by Sean Rhyan, apparently a physical freak who can play multiple positions on the OL.

Giants and Jets had high picks and got loads of talent. Picking up Thibodeaux, and then getting Neal are great needs fills for the Giants. Rare for a CB to go as high as Sauce did to the Jets, but this fills a glaring need in a division with Josh Allen. Unquestionably the top DB in the whole draft. Also taking Garrett Wilson instead of trading to get Deebo I think is the right thing for the Jets, now. Jermaine Johnson also fell all the way to them at the bottom of the round. The Jets have had so many bad drafts, this one looks hopeful. I like what Detroit did too. All those teams need a lot of help, but I'm most glad Detroit didn't take a QB. Goff may not be the guy that gets them to a SB, but on one on the board is better than he is.

All the talk of Willis going before Pickett, but I think Pittsburgh is the one team Pickett can do well on. Surprised Riddler was taken by Atlanta, before Willis, who ended up in Tennessee. Matt Corrall fell all the way to Carolina, who has to be happy to get a potential starter at QB in the 3rd round. This could be a blessing for all of these guys in that they're not expected to perform quickly.

Surprised Kenneth Walker dropped as far as he did, but good for Seattle. Looks like the Seahawks are going to find another path to their future QB, and I like their draft overall. Two OL's and Mafe an OLB/Edge hybrid. Curious how they'll play him.

Love the overworked writer Nolan Bianchi who wrote about the Oakland Raiders pick.

Speaking of the Raiders, interesting that they chose not to pick up the options for Josh Jacobs, Jonathan Abram, or Clelin Ferrell. Not extending Jacobs is a little surprising. Abram has been hurt much his career, and just average between moments of looking good, and Ferrell, who Gruden and Maycock took with the overall #4 pick, which was a such a head scratcher it took ESPN a few minutes to find film of him (okay, not a few minutes, but they were shocked), even though Gruden and Maycock assured us they were the smartest guys in the room. Well, Ferrell has been pretty much a near total bust. Dave Zigler and Josh McDaniels quickly asserting their new direction here.

Mayfield, and Deebo still in Cleveland and SF...for now. A little surprised Samuel didn't go. Not surprised Mayfield still in Cleveland, at least until the dust appears to settle with Watson. I mean, let's just say Watson's suspended for the season. I'd rather have a lame duck Mayfield as my QB than who's next? Joshua Dobbs?
Yes to all of your points.

Walker looks like a great pick for SEA. He has the potential to be a really solid NFL RB (like EE was for DAL in his first few years). I watched their last three games and he is SOLID! Like I posted at the end of the season, Penny looks good when he is healthy. Walker and penny could eat up some yards to take pressure of of Lock (it hurts to type his name as QB1). Mafe could be really good. Cross and Lucas (from SEA, WSU grad) can be solid. Lucas had a good combine, but he had 'heavy' feet in the two WSU games that I watched last year.

Like you said, CLE has to keep Baker JIC.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Yes to all of your points.

Walker looks like a great pick for SEA. He has the potential to be a really solid NFL RB (like EE was for DAL in his first few years). I watched their last three games and he is SOLID! Like I posted at the end of the season, Penny looks good when he is healthy. Walker and penny could eat up some yards to take pressure of of Lock (it hurts to type his name as QB1). Mafe could be really good. Cross and Lucas (from SEA, WSU grad) can be solid. Lucas had a good combine, but he had 'heavy' feet in the two WSU games that I watched last year.

Like you said, CLE has to keep Baker JIC.
Having a good O-line could help Carson if recovery goes well. Having some reliable gaps makes everyones life easier and the short passing game might be the Lock option. I confess I've never seen him play and don't know if he could reach Metcalf if blocking was good enough for him to get waaaay downfield. Russel could but he's long gone.
They'll labor-broker Baker out when someone goes down.

Reactions: jmdirt
I'm glad if the Steelers were going to take a QB it was Pickett. I think he fits the Steelers better than the other QBs do. I'm not convinced he'll start at the beginning of the season. I do think that will be Trubiski. The question is more when do they switch to Pickett.

I was a little surprised that a second QB wasn't taken until the 3rd round. That rarely happens. Then just to add to this being not the greatest QB class in the world, the final pick of the draft, Mr Irrelevant, is a QB.

Not surprised about Deebo, thought the social media antics were not going to bluff the 49ers into an earlier deal and Kyle is a huge fan of Deebo. Don't think he was ever going to be traded unless the 49ers got an other worldly offer. Kyle has since said he was disappointed by the social media antics, but in the 49ers system he obviously knows the value of Deebo.

Thought the Ravens had a good draft but the Jets and Giants loaded up. Some predicted that Watson was going to the 49ers but GB snatched him. Not so sure about that as there are plenty of variable opinions of Watson. Seattle made some good picks as did the 49ers but some might question why the 49ers took an RB so early when the O line needed to be addressed but they got two O line players later on that look promising. and they also got a speedster to stretch the field for Lance. Something they haven't had since Goodwin left.
Baker and Jimmy G will eventually get grabbed, just a matter of time and the right offer and the Browns need to know what is happening with Watson's availability.

Last edited:
Having a good O-line could help Carson if recovery goes well. Having some reliable gaps makes everyones life easier and the short passing game might be the Lock option. I confess I've never seen him play and don't know if he could reach Metcalf if blocking was good enough for him to get waaaay downfield. Russel could but he's long gone.
They'll labor-broker Baker out when someone goes down.
I hope that Carson is able to play again, but neck surgery for an RB? I think that Walker is going to take over the RB room in SEA and hopefully Penny can be healthy for 8-10 games, with Dallas, Homer, and Collins (injury prone too) picking up the other games (assuming they are all still on the roster).

I'll say this about Seattle, they are built to run. They were before adding Walker. If all those guys stay healthy, shifting them in and out of a line-up, cumulative 30+ carries per game, that would be hard for a defense to deal with in a close, tough game. You've got a nice mix of power, inside and outside guys, guys who run over people versus between, guys who pass catch. I just don't know if Seattle's OL is up to the task. And if the "run most, if not first" strategy ends up with the team falling more than two scores behind, can Drew Lock bring them back if he has to pass a lot?

SI has a good article on every team's draft picks. Nice and succinct.

I'll say this about Seattle, they are built to run. They were before adding Walker. If all those guys stay healthy, shifting them in and out of a line-up, cumulative 30+ carries per game, that would be hard for a defense to deal with in a close, tough game. You've got a nice mix of power, inside and outside guys, guys who run over people versus between, guys who pass catch. I just don't know if Seattle's OL is up to the task. And if the "run most, if not first" strategy ends up with the team falling more than two scores behind, can Drew Lock bring them back if he has to pass a lot?

SI has a good article on every team's draft picks. Nice and succinct.

I wonder if a run heavy team can do well because defenses have made the adjustment to the pass heavy style that the NFL has moved to. IMO, Henry is so good because, well, he's a beast, but also because teams aren't built to stop that style of offense.

Nothing that Lock has done so far in the NFL indicates that he can bring a team back, but in his defense, DEN didn't build the offense around him, they plugged him into their offense. If SEA can be run heavy with a lot of <10 yard, quick passes, Lock might be able to be a top 20 QB in the league (he was 47 last year, but 20 in 2020). Beyond 10 yards Lock's accuracy gets poor quickly, and he hits the DB too often. Metcalf will need to run mostly different routs this year for Lock and SEA to be successful, but I think that DK can thrive playing like a turbo TE. One thing that may help lock is that SEA also signed Noah Fant. Fant is really good when he is healthy, and a familiar target for Lock.

One thing that I'm overlooking in this whole Lock conversation is that it is possible that Smith will out compete Lock in camp. Smith hasn't played in an offense built around him yet either so maybe he can be better (top 20 like Lock). Even WAY back when, when he was the NYJ top pick, they didn't build to his strengths, but then that's the Jets.

EDIT: can Woolen is a genetic freak, but can he become a great DB for SEA?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
I wonder if a run heavy team can do well because defenses have made the adjustment to the pass heavy style that the NFL has moved to. IMO, Henry is so good because, well, he's a beast, but also because teams aren't built to stop that style of offense.

Nothing that Lock has done so far in the NFL indicates that he can bring a team back, but in his defense, DEN didn't build the offense around him, they plugged him into their offense. If SEA can be run heavy with a lot of <10 yard, quick passes, Lock might be able to be a top 20 QB in the league (he was 47 last year, but 20 in 2020). Beyond 10 yards Lock's accuracy gets poor quickly, and he hits the DB too often. Metcalf will need to run mostly different routs this year for Lock and SEA to be successful, but I think that DK can thrive playing like a turbo TE. One thing that may help lock is that SEA also signed Noah Fant. Fant is really good when he is healthy, and a familiar target for Lock.

One thing that I'm overlooking in this whole Lock conversation is that it is possible that Smith will out compete Lock in camp. Smith hasn't played in an offense built around him yet either so maybe he can be better (top 20 like Lock). Even WAY back when, when he was the NYJ top pick, they didn't build to his strengths, but then that's the Jets.

minshew, minshew, Minshew, MInshew, MINshew, MINShew, MINSHew, MINSHEw, MINSHEW!!!!
It may as well be fun!

If the Steelers have their offense line in good shape, we may find out. They should be a run first team. We do have a good running back.

Saints defense still looking to be the kryptonite for the elite offenses.
Now they can work on giving their offense a makeover. Biggest issue for them is probably QB and more depth on offense.

Minshew?! LOL! Capable of generating excitement, that's for sure. Confident even in the worst situations? You bet! Capable of winning games? Pulling games out late? Throwing the ball down the field with authority? Well, those may not matter if the team is okay going 7-10, but wants to fill seats by fans who want to see him play in amazing spurts. Kind of like a poor man's Ryan Fitzpatrick perhaps.

I'm not sure Geno Smith is going to compete for a starting job anywhere. Granted, he played on a rotten Jets team, and has decent size and an okay arm, but he's not quick enough pulling the trigger, and throughout his entire career made too many mistakes when it hurt his teams.

Then again, someone could ask me if I think Drew Lock is capable of being a starting QB and my initial reaction isn't much greater than Minshew or Smith! To be honest, I'd roll the dice with Colin Kaepernick if they are going to make another QB move at this point.

I have to admit I think in the long run it may prove wise to let Russ go to Denver. He wasn't cheap, and the Broncos gave up too much to get him. NFL.com grade on NFC West teams draft picks (hint: Seattle comes out on top).

With DB retiring and Jameis on IR, they really didn't have a QB right? Jameis is back and Dalton is his backup so 2022 should be better.
I thought Jameis was back this year?

That’s a rough trip for Seahawks already being 3 hours behind TB.

I thought Jameis was back this year?

That’s a rough trip for Seahawks already being 3 hours behind TB.
Jameis got hurt in game 7 and was out for the rest of the season (100+ QBR through 7).