• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 555 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well, the rule does say "tackle" the receiver. So I presume that involves using one's arms to wrap their arms around a receiver and bringing him to the ground, or just hammering him with a body block without ever looking at the ball. It seems to me this can't be any more difficult to call than PI is now.

Wonder why he waited so darned long to make this claim, or what precipitated it?

I don't know KC has the $ to grab him without losing someone, making some sort of lower paying, heavy back-loaded deal, or some sort of deal giving up someone they may not want to. They do have two first round picks, but they are at the bottom of R1. But boy, that would sure be ideal for Deebo!

I'm trying to look at other teams, their cap space, what they could give up. Carolina, Houston, Miami and Indy seem to have the most wiggle and cap room. Out of those four teams, I imagine Indy may be the best option, but the Colts have next to nothing left to give up in return. Miami? I'd have to look closer at the situation. The Chargers may have a path too, but the look like a fairly deep team already. It looks like in a few years to come Baltimore may be able to make a big deal work as well. But I don't see them giving up that mid R1 pick when they need OL help more than a top WR right now.

The Jets and Giants both have two high R1 picks, but both are not only rebuilding, but the Giants have no cash right now.
Deebo has been very active on social media, reportedly singing his own praises with help from others like his brother. I think this is more than just about the money but it seems the Niners initial offer wasn't what he hoped for whatever that was. Seems to be a little similar to the Kyler Murray situation : team social media removed from his profile and so on. Whether he's part of a package deal with Jimmy who knows. A little unusual for the Niners as Williams, Kittle, Jimmy and Warner got the deal they wanted and Bosa will be next. Could be like the Buckner situation where Buckner valued himself higher than the Niners best offer and eventually was traded and the 49ers chose to extend Armstead as a cheaper option. Seems Deebo feels he is being undervalued. Whether the 49ers can rectify the situation sounds doubtful and they will have plenty of interest in a trade but the 49ers will want a premium deal for someone like Deebo. if they have to trade him. Miami have already loaded up on offense. Mostert, Hill and so on but Mike McDaniels obviously knows Deebo well and what he can do. Have a feeling that Miami will use the draft instead of taking on another big trade. Carolina needs a QB as well so whether Jimmy is an option ? After Baker and Jimmy are placed its back ups and the draft for teams that want a QB.

I could see him wanting to be paid more then other receivers because he plays two positions in Niners offense and will be run into the ground. I think Chiefs and Packers have to go in hard for him, imagine the versatility with their offensive schemes.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1516106862743203841?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Whoever is in charge of Brady’s media is not getting paid enough. Not even counting his TB Times pictures after each win while he was a Patriot.

Here's some news that should merit as much play as which retread QB goes where and which highly-prized WR gets paid as much as a QB:

If the LA Rams play the Denver Broncos in the SB; who wins? It could be settled over dinner between Stan and Dan (Stan's Bro-in law).
That is an NFL balance of power shift that'll get the other ego-driven, lesser-billionaires' panties in a twist. Dallas who?

Reactions: jmdirt
TB is obviously going all in, for this coming season. And my early pick has them going to the SB.
If the defender has to tackle the receiver to get a spot foul, then they’ll just continue doing the hand grabbing etc.
I don't know they will be as aggressive as you think. I mean, it's still a 15 yard penalty plus an automatic first down. That is the most stiff penalty in the entire sport, outside of spot fouls like the NFL's PI.
Deebo has been very active.... Carolina needs a QB as well so whether Jimmy is an option ? After Baker and Jimmy are placed its back ups and the draft for teams that want a QB.
Aren't we all assuming Carolina is going to take either Kenny Pickett or Malick Willis with the 6th pick in the draft? 1st QB off the board. No?

TB is obviously going all in, for this coming season. And my early pick has them going to the SB.

I don't know they will be as aggressive as you think. I mean, it's still a 15 yard penalty plus an automatic first down. That is the most stiff penalty in the entire sport, outside of spot fouls like the NFL's PI.

Aren't we all assuming Carolina is going to take either Kenny Pickett or Malick Willis with the 6th pick in the draft? 1st QB off the board. No?
Have to admit I haven't paid much attention to the draft yet. All I know is that it is supposed to be QB lite but good for other positions like safety and WR.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Why? They already do that with the spot foul penalty now to prevent a touchdown if they’re beat. Now if it’s to prevent a huge gain or touchdown they have no incentive not to do it with only 15 yards.

Now if it’s to prevent a huge gain or touchdown they have no incentive not to do it with only 15 yards.
You left out the "automatic first down".

The rules are completely askew in the NFL. The rule automatically assumes that every PI would have resulted in a completed pass. Every single time. Situations where 40, 50 yards are gained on judgement alone from a referee. Or it automatically assumes every player afraid of getting burned will commit a PI, as if a 15 penalty plus an automatic first down, isn't enough of a deterrent. But the rule in college is not the same as the NFL, and players don't commit flagrant PI fouls like this hardly at all, if ever. Doing a search, it's almost impossible to find one (that isn't maybe a hail mary). I just don't see a play where a DB is chasing a WR down the field, because he got burned, and when the WR looks back, leaps out and tackles the guy. It would be very rare. And this is what the USFL addresses. That's the exception. That's the situation that's a spot foul. It seems to me, the USFL has this covered.

Let's go back to the assuming the receiver would have caught the ball. If we flip this around, then offensive PI should result in an automatic turnover at the spot of the foul, assuming the defensive back would have intercepted the ball. But it's only 10 yards, that's it. How is that fair?

Good article on this, and thoughts from Mike Perierra, who agrees with me on this call.

You left out the "automatic first down".

The rules are completely askew in the NFL. The rule automatically assumes that every PI would have resulted in a completed pass. Every single time. Situations where 40, 50 yards are gained on judgement alone from a referee. Or it automatically assumes every player afraid of getting burned will commit a PI, as if a 15 penalty plus an automatic first down, isn't enough of a deterrent. But the rule in college is not the same as the NFL, and players don't commit flagrant PI fouls like this hardly at all, if ever. Doing a search, it's almost impossible to find one (that isn't maybe a hail mary). I just don't see a play where a DB is chasing a WR down the field, because he got burned, and when the WR looks back, leaps out and tackles the guy. It would be very rare. And this is what the USFL addresses. That's the exception. That's the situation that's a spot foul. It seems to me, the USFL has this covered.

Let's go back to the assuming the receiver would have caught the ball. If we flip this around, then offensive PI should result in an automatic turnover at the spot of the foul, assuming the defensive back would have intercepted the ball. But it's only 10 yards, that's it. How is that fair?

Good article on this, and thoughts from Mike Perierra, who agrees with me on this call.
True, I was implying automatic first down but of course there is the down and 16 to go.

Im not talking about the tackling, I’m talking about the hands. The tackling is good, as that’s clear and precise. Hands are what defenders already do when they’re beat, at least once a week we see it vs the college level. There is a huge difference of play and skill between NFL and college/USFL. If a player is beat, they’re not catching up vs the NFL. Automatic first down and spot of the foul is the biggest penalty and it is still committed when the player is beat. Now imagine that threat is no longer there.

Offensive and defensive penalties have been askew, just look at holding. Now for PI if they decide 15 yards then it should be 15 yards for offense and defense. For OPI it is a lot harder to say the defender will catch the ball but if they get hands on it and there is OPI, there can be 15 or 20 yard penalty plus loss of down. Then let’s say for DPI the 15 yards, first down, and if they have their hands on the ball it is a spot foul.

I was pretty sure that Car was going to grab Mayfield until I read the story that movingtarget posted. They still might after the draft I guess.

“Unless you got one of the top few guys .... I would be expecting people to be interested,” Brady said on teams during his free agency. “In my mind I’m thinking, ‘If you’re another team and you’re not interested in having me as you’re quarterback, like, what the f--- is wrong with you?’”

Haven’t watched the new episode yet but others have said Brady gets pretty emotional and talks about his father and personal life.

So Brady Sr. and Gronk are the guests making Gronk the only repeat. Brady Sr. talks about how he wanted the best for his kids and Brady how much his dad helped him throughout his life. Then that the way his career ended in NE was expected and that they probably weren’t going to make it far into the playoffs, even though it is Super Bowl win or bust for NE and Brady. He then talked about what team he wanted to go with, making a list, and talking to Gronk about potentially coming back which he said he would if he liked the situation. So that’s one of the many reasons Brady picked because Gronk’s mom lives close by, when Brady told Gronk which team he had forgotten there was a team in Tampa Bay. Then the struggles of the off-season and season, highlighting the loses to Saints and Bears. That they kept working and changing what they did to find that continuity and what worked. Brady Sr. only game besides the Super Bowl was the Bucs beat down in Tampa so that was a bad game all around. Then each playoff game and highlighted Brees and Rodgers career with how good they are with them joining Big Ben and Peyton as the quarterbacks he’s talked up. Brown was only shown of his touchdown and celebration without any mention of his name besides the in game commentary and maybe was there for 3 seconds. Then with the game winding down it was different feeling in that every other game was close throughout vs this one.

The series ends with Brady laminating about his children and he wishes they find something to love like he has with football though not to go to the extreme he has done. Then that he is sad because he doesn’t believe he has been the best of fathers to them or like his father was to him, though hopes they understand he is doing what he loves. And he will keep doing it until he stops enjoying winning, because that is the best feeling in the world and all that matters in the arena.

Walker #1!
Hutchinson to DET is good stuff!
SEA gets an OT!
First QB at #20...can Picket be QB1 for PIT?
Wonder what Russ thought of the OT pick for Seattle ? Not many surprises. Deebo stayed with the 49ers, couple of QB picks but none near the top. Lots of defense and WRs. Three centres went in the first round. The Steelers pick was a good one. Trubisky isn't a model of consistency.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93