• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 644 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seems like the Washington Commanders will be rebranding again ! Not only have 30,000 people signed a petition to revert back to the Redskins name but the new ownership want all ties with the former owner to disappear and are also exploring a name change for the 2024 season. Also seems that few of their fans are happy with the current name.

Here is some of the official statement of the NAGA group from its website:
Redskins / Redmen is a Native American iconic name and is revered by the vast majority of Native Americans and general public alike. Redskins/Redmen represents honor, respect and pride for Native American culture. Redskins / Redmen is and has been a self-identifying term for Natives since the early 1800s.
Context and intent matter. Activists intend to make Redskins / Redmen a pejorative term. NAGA disagrees and chooses to elevate and reclaim the Name Redskins / Redmen.
NAGA is fighting an uphill battle, with the name having already been removed from its history, which dates back to 1933 when the Boston Braves became the Boston Redskins. Moving to Washington for the 1937 season, the team remained “Redskins” through the 2019 season.

Last edited:
Washington is not going to be called the Redskins again. I see zero chance, and a very slim chance they are called the Redmen, though this is more likely than Redskins. Let's not forget, while many tribes didn't mind the Redskins name, and liked the team, there were plenty more that despised it - even if this latter group is a minority, it's still something to not dismiss. I do however agree on a few things: 1) A total rebrand, sans maybe colors to a degree, will happen. 2) Some sort of branding, if not the name, honoring Native Americans is quite possible.

I think Wes Welker may have taken more punishment than Edelman.

My quibble about the Colts is that the team in Indianapolis should be named something else, and the team that plays in Baltimore should be called the Colts. In the same way the team in Cleveland is the Browns. I don't think this needs to be a hard and fast law, just how I see it.

Joe Burrow's calf injury apparently worse than originally thought, out "several weeks". And so, it begins...

Yeah Welker got beat the heck up on his most vital organ, to the point he had that special helmet to try and stop from getting concussions. Edelman was mostly bone or muscle injuries and the only concussion I can remember is Super Bowl 49.

Stinks about Burrow. I wouldn’t be surprised to seeing teams sit their main qb for a half or even game depending on the opponent and seeding situation.

Washington could use the name Tribes with weapons Native Americans used as their emblem. Plus gives a little more unity due to playing in the capital.

Edelman was small, not surprised he got beat up and his PED positive came late in his career which might play into more about frustrations in getting injured often at that point.Beasley was another small receiver that has surprisingly kept coming back for more ! Teams keep signing him.

Yes I think the Redskins name won't get revived but most agree that the Commanders name is terrible.

Already some injuries for the Rams and Seattle with Kupp and Walker. Poor Jalen Hurd retired permanently now. Signed by the 49ers and never played a real game in four seasons. Patriots just picked him up and he got injured again. Long list ACL and back injuries mainly.

Washington is not going to be called the Redskins again. I see zero chance, and a very slim chance they are called the Redmen, though this is more likely than Redskins. Let's not forget, while many tribes didn't mind the Redskins name, and liked the team, there were plenty more that despised it - even if this latter group is a minority, it's still something to not dismiss. I do however agree on a few things: 1) A total rebrand, sans maybe colors to a degree, will happen. 2) Some sort of branding, if not the name, honoring Native Americans is quite possible.

I always thought naming them after a historic local tribe, such as the Potomaks (there are various spellings), would be a good thing.

Joe Burrow's calf injury apparently worse than originally thought, out "several weeks". And so, it begins...
He was very lucky that it wasn't an Achilles like Patrick sustained a few days ago.

And Cinncinati can't afford for him to miss too many games - they open up with two key divisional opponents; Cleveland & Baltimore. They won't win either game without him.

Something interesting I didn't realize was that Josh Allen played half the season last year with a partially torn elbow ligament (UCL) on his throwing arm (I thought it was his off arm). Someone mentioned here that  only 7 QBs started all 17 games last year. Allen was one of those but yet he played through a major injury for half the season - unbelievable!

It may that kind of year where QBs are going to have to suck it up & play through injuries that they would otherwise sit out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Edelman was small, not surprised he got beat up and his PED positive came late in his career which might play into more about frustrations in getting injured often at that point.Beasley was another small receiver that has surprisingly kept coming back for more ! Teams keep signing him.

Yes I think the Redskins name won't get revived but most agree that the Commanders name is terrible.

Already some injuries for the Rams and Seattle with Kupp and Walker. Poor Jalen Hurd retired permanently now. Signed by the 49ers and never played a real game in four seasons. Patriots just picked him up and he got injured again. Long list ACL and back injuries mainly.
Cole Beasley should use your forum name as his avatar. He manages to duck, dodge and dive from hard contact very well. That said he's taken the occasional drilling that comes with catching passes in the kill zone. He's quick at the ball, though.

I personally think the Bengals can beat Cleveland even with Trevor Siemien as their QB, as average as he is. I think the window has closed on the Browns, and they will finish in the cellar of that division. Baltimore, I'm less sure about them. Better organized, better team, better QB, better D than Cleveland. So I agree the Bengals will need Burrow in that game.

I'm glad the contract with Lamar worked out, but I'm worried about him getting hurt. If Nomad is right and half the QBs will be out for the year before season's end, I'd definitely have Lamar on that list.

I can repeat what I said about most teams really are going to need a quality back-up. Also what I said about how I see a future where QBs (and other players) have scheduled "rest" games due to how arduous the season is. I can definitely see that. The problem with both of these, is that there simply aren't enough quality QBs in the league. Here's a quick list of teams back-up QBs. Every one of these teams are one player from having this guy take over. Here are the "best" guys:

Tyler Huntley - Bal
Jacoby Brissett - WAS
Andy Dalton - CAR
Cooper Rush - DAL
Jamis Winston - NO
Gardner Minshew - IND

Not bad. All of them have been starters, and won good games. I'd think any coach would be comfortable with these guys taking over, though obviously not ideal.

There are a slew of guys in the middle I'm not going to list. Some are vets, some haven't played much, some are rookies or young.

And here are the "worst". Not that these guys are bad, but the teams have to be really worried about this guy taking over for much of the season:

Sean Clifford - GB
CJ Beathard - JAX
Easton Stick - LAC
Brian Hoyer - LAR
Kyle Trask - TB
Clayton Tune - ARI

If I'm reading the roster right, Stetson Bennett is the backup on the Rams. This can't be right, it has to be Brett Rypian, but the Rams page says Bennett is #2. If so, he could top this list. He, Levis, Tune, and Hooker are supposed backup rookies. The Chargers also drafted Max Duggan, who might be as good/bad as Stick. I also am assuming Richardson starts week 1 for Indy, and Minshew sits.

When the Raiders signed Hoyer, it was widely believed that the Raiders would draft a QB in the first 2 rounds, and Hoyer would act as a coach in pads. This was especially true when Mac Jones spoke highly of Hoyer as a mentor. But the Raiders waited until the mid rounds to draft Aiden O'Connell, who clearly won't be ready to start, and would likely be below Hooker, Bennett, Duggen and Tune on any list.

Reactions: jmdirt
He was very lucky that it wasn't an Achilles like Patrick sustained a few days ago.

And Cinncinati can't afford for him to miss too many games - they open up with two key divisional opponents; Cleveland & Baltimore. They won't win either game without him.

Something interesting I didn't realize was that Josh Allen played half the season last year with a partially torn elbow ligament (UCL) on his throwing arm (I thought it was his off arm). Someone mentioned here that  only 7 QBs started all 17 games last year. Allen was one of those but yet he played through a major injury for half the season - unbelievable!

It may that kind of year where QBs are going to have to suck it up & play through injuries that they would otherwise sit out.

Think it was initially thought that Allen had had a similar injury to Purdy but he got lucky. Stafford also played with a similar injury but had other problems with his back and neck and then got a high ankle sprain. Rams will be hoping that the rookie they signed is a decent back up for this season. Can't see Stafford lasting much longer.

I personally think the Bengals can beat Cleveland even with Trevor Siemien as their QB, as average as he is. I think the window has closed on the Browns, and they will finish in the cellar of that division. Baltimore, I'm less sure about them. Better organized, better team, better QB, better D than Cleveland. So I agree the Bengals will need Burrow in that game.
Siemian? C'mon now - can he get through pregame warm-ups without getting hurt? Lol.

Recall last year with Chicago: Siemian gets the starting nod in week #12 due to Fields' injury - but tears his oblique muscle during pregame & was placed on IR to undergo season-ending surgery . Naturally, Chicago releases him in the off-season (if your backup can't  even get past pregame uninjured - what does that say about his value to a team?).

Then back in 2019 during week #2 (with the Jets) Siemian gets the starting nod against Cleveland. But he takes off on a run & instead of running out of bounds or falling down - he allows Myles Garrett to tackle him where he ruptures some ankle tendons/ligaments & he's done for the year.

And even when he actually can play some games without getting injured - he loses most of these starts. For example, he started 4 games at NO in 2020 & lost all four.

So, if he starts against Cleveland, I'm not so sure he'll be able to finish the game uninjured - assuming he gets through the pregame warm-ups unscathed (Siemian seems to be really fragile for a big guy).

On Bennett, I'll repost this article that came out last April after the McVay selected Bennett in the 4th round. McVay talks about how impressed he is of Bennett & believes that after 2-3 yrs, he can start in this league. So, it looks like McVay will invest in the development of Bennett for the long-term goal of being a starting QB (you're right - all the depth charts I've seen except the ESPN chart - have him as the backup behind Stafford).

https://www.outkick.com/stetson-ben...-after-nfl-draft-proves-doubters-wrong-again/

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
So, if he starts against Cleveland, I'm not so sure he'll be able to finish the game uninjured - assuming he gets through the pregame warm-ups unscathed...
:tearsofjoy:

Since I can't deny this likely possibility, what I'm really saying then is Cleveland will suck so bad, Jake Browning or Reid Sinnett (who?) will step up for the Bengals and lead them to the win. :sweatsmile:

This really does prove the theory that you need a good back-up QB. Why did the Bengals sign Sinnett instead of Teddy Bridgewater? Actually, a better question may be why didn't the Bengals sign Andy Dalton when free agency started? This would have been much more than a feel-good story. Or does Cincy really expect Burrow to play all 17 games? Maybe they do.

Other teams injuries already piling up and we're only days into camp. I mean, look at this link. This is current! This reads like week 11 in the season or something!

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Allen was the back up to Burrow at the Bengals, currently seen as the 4th option at the 49ers. Will probably get poached off the practice squad the way things are going. Or maybe he gets cut.anyway. Darnold and Lance seem to be doing pretty well so far and Darnold's one year contract is fully guaranteed.

Reactions: jmdirt
Don't forget Drew Lock in Denver. All the potential he had that they (purportedly) wasted. Brock Osweiller had some good games, and came home with a ring. Granted, he was on that team that had a superb defense.

Anyone watch the Hall of Fame game? Only watched the highlights. Ho-hum. I could barely sit through them though as I cannot stand Cris Collinsworth announcing. Without question the most annoying commentary expert in sports. I usually watch NBC games in Spanish when he's on (no, not fluent, barely understand it, I speak "gringo spanglish", but it's better than listening to Collinsworth).

The 49ers are in an interesting situation at QB. I think they are throwing up some smoke and mirrors about Purdy "feeling great!!!" when he's only throwing 2-3 days a week, not in practice, and nothing we can see. This doesn't seem like a guy to me who will be ready to play in a month. OR, since supposedly Trey Lance has looked "bad" throwing in practice, the 49ers just don't want to start him, or Darnold, and will toss Purdy out there, figuring his final healing will happen as he plays. To me it's only a matter of time before the 49ers unload Lance. I can't quite figure it out. Unless they are concerned about what some pundits are: With a (slightly) weaker OL, and having to play a full season - after teams have gotten a really good look at him - will Purdy turn out to be just average? And if that's the case, then what? They see if Lance is really any good, finally, or see if Darnold was a bust, or actually has enough talent to start in this league? Or are they assuming, maybe rightly, that since last year every QB they had ended up with season ending injuries, it's good to have three guys on staff, no matter what? Maybe that's it. Better strategy that Cincinnati is doing at QB I think.

Don't forget Drew Lock in Denver. All the potential he had that they (purportedly) wasted. Brock Osweiller had some good games, and came home with a ring. Granted, he was on that team that had a superb defense.

Anyone watch the Hall of Fame game? Only watched the highlights. Ho-hum. I could barely sit through them though as I cannot stand Cris Collinsworth announcing. Without question the most annoying commentary expert in sports. I usually watch NBC games in Spanish when he's on (no, not fluent, barely understand it, I speak "gringo spanglish", but it's better than listening to Collinsworth).

The 49ers are in an interesting situation at QB. I think they are throwing up some smoke and mirrors about Purdy "feeling great!!!" when he's only throwing 2-3 days a week, not in practice, and nothing we can see. This doesn't seem like a guy to me who will be ready to play in a month. OR, since supposedly Trey Lance has looked "bad" throwing in practice, the 49ers just don't want to start him, or Darnold, and will toss Purdy out there, figuring his final healing will happen as he plays. To me it's only a matter of time before the 49ers unload Lance. I can't quite figure it out. Unless they are concerned about what some pundits are: With a (slightly) weaker OL, and having to play a full season - after teams have gotten a really good look at him - will Purdy turn out to be just average? And if that's the case, then what? They see if Lance is really any good, finally, or see if Darnold was a bust, or actually has enough talent to start in this league? Or are they assuming, maybe rightly, that since last year every QB they had ended up with season ending injuries, it's good to have three guys on staff, no matter what? Maybe that's it. Better strategy that Cincinnati is doing at QB I think.
It was always the plan to have Purdy missing every third practice. He had a bad day today but some receiver drops as well. Lance has reportedly changed his throwing motion which used to be a bit of a wind up and was working with a QB coach as well as Mahomes coach for a while. So far it seems they are happy with Purdy and he is ahead of schedule and had no arm pain according to the GM and coach and Purdy himself. I think he's in the same category as Geno at Seattle. Was the one season a one off or can it be regular ? I worry about the O line depth, they have shored up the defense somewhat after losing some nice back up pieces to free agency like Omenihu, Willis and others but they need Kinlaw and Drake Jackson to step up. Bosa contract still not finalized...........Purdy not practicing in the joint practice with the Raiders later in the week but will have to play in the preseason games at least. Don't think the QB situation will look any clearer until those preseason games especially with Lance and Darnold. Allen has supposed to be doing well as the 4th QB option as well. Some people think that he could be the third option with Lance or Darnold getting moved but that would surprise me and the 49ers have already said they don't envisage any QB trades at least in the short term.

Taco Charlton a first round so called bust who played with the Cowboys is also supposed to be practicing well so far on defense. But at the moment unless Purdy looks really bad in the preseason it seems he will start. The bigger question is who his back up will be ? If practice is anything to go by it seems Steve Wilks will be dialling up the blitzes on defense. Something that Demeco Ryans and Saleh didn't do a lot of when they were the DC at the 49ers.

Good point on Lock & since you brought him up, it's a mystery as to why he didn't pan out given all the pre-draft hype surrounding him. Recall when Elway drafted him, he made the comment that Lock looked & played a lot like he did. Elway had  never made a remark like that about any other QB that he ever drafted or signed.

Lock certainly has the physical skills having Mahomes type size & arm strength. His skillset at the combine looked really good. And he was sensational at Missouri where he threw for a school record 12,000 yds & 99 TDs against SEC competition (All-SEC in 2017).

Where this seemed to all unravel for Lock was his 2nd yr in the league where he was named the starter for 2020. He started 13 games (missed 3 due to injury) & performed so poorly it wasn't even funny.

He threw almost as many pics as TDs passes (16/15) & ended up tying Carson Wentz for the most interceptions that year despite playing only 13 games. His passer rating was a pathetic 75.4. He looked confused out there & missed a lot of his reads. He had a tough time with blitzes & didn't audible enough. And worst of all he was 4-9 losing some games to weak teams they should have easily beaten.

But the nail in coffin was the 2021 when the Broncos signed Teddy B who beat out Lock in the preseason for the starting job. This was a no confidence vote against Lock. Placed on a pedestal by Elway as the franchise QB - Lock was now regulated to a backup role only starting a couple games due to injury to Teddy B. Consequently, Lock was traded away in the off-season & another one of Elway's top drafted QBs crashed & burned (imagine that).

Lock certainly had his chance to shine in 2020 & show he was worthy of that high 2nd round pick & prove the high accolades that Elway had for him. However, as bad as he is, he's at least still in the league backing up Gino. And who knows - the way QBs go down in this league - he might get a second chance to prove himself.

On the Hall of Fame game: Watched the first half to get the feel of football back on the big screen. Otherwise, boring because it's preseason & no body really cares. Lol. I did enjoy the interview with Joe Thomas.

Last edited:

Collinsworth used to be good IMO, but something changed.

My son sent me this video. This is what a 5'5" 170 lb running back looks like fighting for a spot on the 53. If you didn't know better, you would have thought that this was one of the coach's HS kid participating in some of the non-contact drills for fun. Lol. In all seriousness, I hope he doesn't get hurt when mixes it up with the big boys in a full-contact game/scrimmage.

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=6_ZEvn2VlmM&feature=share9

Last edited:
Only slightly smaller than Bryce Young. :innocent:

Need an ESPN+ subscription to see that QB article.

Speaking of Drew Lock, he's playing as I type this. Looks as good as he ever did in Denver. Granted, this is early preseason, but as I said before, he's one guy that seemed to have a lot of talent and the wheels fell off in Denver. But he's only 26. Maybe sitting behind Geno, learning under Pete, is the best thing that could have happened to him?

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad

TRENDING THREADS