• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 642 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Somewhat surprised by this. Who does Vikings think on their current depth chart is better than Cook?

Cook: 4th highest yards from scrimmage per game in the last 5 years & 4xPro-Bowler.
Seems like they intend to rely on their number 2 younger RB plus the rookie they signed. There should be interested parties especially the Saints, Miami and maybe the Bills. Maybe also they needed to free up some money. Still a bit of an odd decision.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Seems like they intend to rely on their number 2 younger RB plus the rookie they signed. There should be interested parties especially the Saints, Miami and maybe the Bills. Maybe also they needed to free up some money. Still a bit of an odd decision.
RB2 is Mattison. He was a cool cat here at BSU so I hope that he can fill DC's RB1 role.

Why get rid of DC though?! Money and age I guess. He also had surgery in Feb/March so maybe there is some question about that?

Crazy stat: he lead the NFL with 62 carries that were zero or minus yards.

As for landing spots, how about adding DEN to the list?

RB2 is Mattison. He was a cool cat here at BSU so I hope that he can fill DC's RB1 role.

Why get rid of DC though?! Money and age I guess. He also had surgery in Feb/March so maybe there is some question about that?

Crazy stat: he lead the NFL with 62 carries that were zero or minus yards.

As for landing spots, how about adding DEN to the list?
Still only 27 and he had 13 TD's but his stats dropped ! Yards per carry dropped to a measly 4.5 yards ! I think its money and they thinlk his best days are over. Yes Denver could use him and they have loaded up in the off season especially on defense. The owners will be expecting a good season. Bears could also use him maybe.

It has to be money. That and it's often surmised the OL does more work than a RB, and RBs are a plug-n-play with plenty deep pool of them coming out of college. This is not entirely true, but it also explains why Eckler and Barkley ended up signing team-friendly contracts, and Jacobs is still franchised...

I'm not sure Denver or Buffalo can afford Cook. At least cap wise. Bears however still have plenty of wiggle room.

Reactions: Lui98 and SHAD0W93
Here's the terms of his contract:

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1680640491224805376

He'll probably fit in real good if Tannehill can get him the ball. If not, it could be long season for the Titans & Tannehill would be benched in favor of Levis.

And with Hopkins gone, the Cardinals are left with Hollywood Brown, Rondale Moore & Greg Dortch as the starters. Hollywood is 5-9, both Moore & Dortch are 5-7 - all under 180 lbs.
Dortch is small but he's pretty good. The bigger problem for the Cardinals is their defense, new inexperienced head coach and Murray. Watt retired and their roster doesn't have much depth. Be surprised if they didn't finish on the bottom of the NFC West. Looks like rebuild mode for them.

Haven't posted in months.

Washington Commanders now officially sold. Woohoo! Wonder if they'll change the name? Expect a new stadium there in 2025 or so.

Camp opens in days for most teams. Hall of Fame Game just two weeks away. Not even sure Aaron Rodgers will play for the Jets. Maybe one series. Maybe.

As to USFL (and XFL) players, several will continue to fill holes in NFL squads, but as 2nd and 3rd stringers both in camp, and as the season goes on. Basically in the same pool of some 100-200 cut guys, where a handful of them actually play or sign to teams this season. ESPN has a tracker of XFL players signed to NFL teams (for now). In case anyone didn't hear, Alex McGough has signed with the Packers. It's really hard to tell how well some of these guys will do in the NFL. His TE, Jace Sternberger used to play for the Packers and had a great USFL season, but remains unsigned. Many players from the USFL made the NFL in some form last year's camp. Most were are cast-offs from previous NFL careers. In fact, Ben DiNucci, Luis Perez from this year's XFL, and quite a few others have had actual playing time in the NFL regular season in the past. MVP AJ McCarron too, obviously.

Both Saquon Barkley and Josh Jacobs have hinted they are ready to pull a Le'Veon Bell and refuse to play under the franchise tag "on principle". I'm not sure what that principle is, because $10m a year guaranteed isn't a ripoff to me, especially in the NFL today, and doing so killed Bell's career (which he has all but admitted). In fact, there's rumors in Raider Nation that if Jacobs doesn't sign the tag, the Raiders will release him after the last cut on August 29th, making it very difficult for other teams to just up and sign him. I personally think this can happen because Josh McDaniels offensive coaching style, with exception to last season, has always been RB by committee, which many teams have adopted as well. The days of Adrien Peterson, Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, even someone like Ladanian Tomlinson or Edgerin James - who were excellent receivers in a pass-heavy offense, being THE running back on a team, are a quaint, rapidly vanishing fantasy. Especially as the NCAA pumps out RBs in large quantities, RBs last 2-4 years on average, and the OL does most of the work.

It's hard in the NFL to truly tank, but I'm expecting Arizona to finish 2-15, maybe 4-13 at best, and win the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

More thoughts as the season gets closer.