• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 734 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They want to ban the "hip-drop" tackle? Lol. This is getting ridiculous. They might as well just put flags on these guys & play the game the way we saw it played at the Pro-Bowl. Lol.
Now that you mention it, I don't see the NFL ending up like flag football in order to "keep players safe". However, I do see a time when NFL games are played like the Pro Bowl in recent years (before flag football): quick whistles, no blitzing, etc.
And the proposed changes to the kickoff sounds idiotic.
I'll take this over what the NFL was doing. Did you know not a single KO was returned in the Super Bowl? Not one! This type of "new" kick-off also worked quite well in the XFL last year. Watch a few games, you'll see!
Couldn't disagree more with everyone, the kickoff is a complete novelty, with the majority of balls going out the back line or just kneed because receiver knows kick hang time and him catching it half deep in the end zone is a loser, just down it.
The USFL (and now UFL) have decided to keep the ball in play, by making teams kick-off from the 20 yard line, guaranteeing pretty much every single kick off is returned.
And now regular, standard taught tackling will be a penalty depending on the ref's mood..
Agree completely there. It will be almost impossible to enforce this. What if a defender grabs a RB around the waist and falls to the ground without truly "dropping his hips", but his entire body? What if he does drop his hips, but doesn't land on the offensive players legs, or feet? Is that still a penalty? What if both players are actually moving forward when the play happens and they tumble to the ground?

Really hate the idea of extending the trade deadline. It will do exactly what it does in MLB and the NBA. Teams that are out of it will dump players and tank, and teams that think they have a chance that year will load up on these discards. This will make the last half of the season often ugly, with only a handful of teams still in the league.

Lester Hayes? Hoping to bring back Stickum?!

Now that you mention it, I don't see the NFL ending up like flag football in order to "keep players safe". However, I do see a time when NFL games are played like the Pro Bowl in recent years (before flag football): quick whistles, no blitzing, etc.
You're probably right - the NFL transitioning to flag football wouldn't work. Fans would run away & the fat cats in the luxury boxes would start losing money. Lol.

I agree the NFL will eventually adapt the Pro-Bowl rules on player safety that was implemented in that last game before the year they switched to the current flag football gig.

Looking over those player safety rules, there was no blitzing & only DLs & DEs - in a 3 point stance - could rush the passer. There was no blocking & tackling below the waist & the intentional grounding rule was tossed. This would be a dream come true for QBs & the passing game would look more like 7 on 7 passing drills they conduct during OTAs. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
I'm not sure Jerry Jones, if he's paying attention, knows how loyal he'll be to Dak. I'm not part of the Cowboy fan base so my observations tend to be more pessimistic.
The other shoe drops:
“The #Cowboys and QB Dak Prescott have a mutual understanding of his contract situation, sources say, with no offers from Dallas despite him being in a contract year. Owner Jerry Jones said, ‘We are where we are, locked and loaded for this year.’ No indication a deal is coming,” Rapoport said in a post on X, the social media website that was formerly known as Twitter.

Worst QB Draft
Try looking at 2000. Taken at 15 was Chad Pennington, who could have been good if he wasn't drafted by the Jets, and almost constantly injured. Next? Round 3 went Giovanni Camazzi and Chris Redman. Followed by Tee Martin, Spurgen Wynn. But wait! Tom Brady saves everything.

Then there was 2007. Jamarcus Russell taken #1. Brady Quinn "falls" to 22, then we get the likes of Kevin Kolb, John Beck, Drew Stanton, Isaiah Stanbeck, Jeff Rowe. Jordan Palmer... Ironically, I actually think Quinn could have been a good NFL QB. The talent was there. Good size. Good arm. The problem was he had zero humility entering the NFL, and it took him until he was nearly 30 to realize it, by then injuries had taken their toll.

Then there was 1996. First QB taken? Tony Banks in round 2. Followed by Bobby Hoying, Jeff Lewis and Danny Canell!
The other shoe drops:
“The #Cowboys and QB Dak Prescott have a mutual understanding...
I honestly don't blame Jerry (and Mike M). This is a "prove it" year for Dak. Yes, he's quite good, but not in big games, and if Dallas is going to pay him the $60m he wants, nothing less than an NFC Championship game, with a couple good playoff performances, is going to do it.

If he doesn't prove it? I fully expect two things from Dallas - They are going to work hard to get Tre Lance practice time, and snaps. He'll play a LOT in the pre-season, and likely get thrown into games during the season. If it looks like he just won't ever develop, then that leaves Dallas another plan and see who they can draft or sign for their future. This is fairly smart contingency thinking by Dallas.

Jerry seems afraid to move off Dak even though he knows he will probably continue overpaying him.Not everyone is as lucky as the 49ers and the Texans with the QB draft and get a player that didn't need a lot of development to compete. Think the Vikings were like that with Cousins as well. Good QB but done nothing in the playoffs. Cowboys move off Dak they could get even further away from a SB win. Either way is a risk. You waste a good roster with a QB that struggles in the playoffs or you continue to do well in the regular season with a good regular season QB. I don't think many GMs would value Dak at 60 million and once again the Cowboys have done little in free agency to plug their other gaps. Good enough to win their division maybe but only staunch Cowboys fans see them as a SB threat and they have struggled recently against the 49ers in the NFC so getting to the final two games won't be easy for them while the Lions and GB are younger and improving and made more moves in FA. The Rams also showed some improvement but Donald is gone now and Stafford can't be far away from retirement either. The Eagles could also bounce back this season. Made some good signings, have a new DC but they also lost more good players like Cox and Kelce..

Last edited:
I honestly don't blame Jerry (and Mike M). This is a "prove it" year for Dak. Yes, he's quite good, but not in big games, and if Dallas is going to pay him the $60m he wants, nothing less than an NFC Championship game, with a couple good playoff performances, is going to do it.
Great in the regular season (73-41/.640) but not so good in postseason (2-5). And of course, no SBs or confernce championships - not to Jerry's liking I would think. Lol

Last edited:
Jerry seems afraid to move off Dak even though he knows he will probably continue overpaying him.Not everyone is as lucky as the 49ers and the Texans with the QB draft and get a player that didn't need a lot of development to compete...
Keep in mind Dallas was somewhat lucky with Dak. He stepped right in when Romo got hurt, and played quite well from the start. He just hasn't improved a great deal since then. Some, but not in big games at all. One could argue his best chance was the year he broke his ankle. I haven't studied the details, but I'd be curious how mobile and how much of a risk taker he's been since.

Drake Maye threw an almost absurd 70 passes on his pro day. Some QBs throw half that amount. I can't think of another QB who threw this much in my lifetime. I seem to recall people thinking Geno Smith threw too much on his Pro Day (64. Looked it up).

I think Michael Penix pro day running and doing drills, as well as several throws on the run, was a smart move. There's a concern of him being fragile, even I have expressed that. By coming out of the gate like this he's saying he's fully healthy and ready to go.

Mock drafts continue to get more and more pointless and ridiculous. Someone needs to get it over with and have a mock that has Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthey, Nix and Penix going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. :nomouth:

I know this is an NFL thread, but I'm going to post some about the UFL, because I'm a big fan of the league. Here's everything you need to know in a nutshell:

This is a merger between the USFL and XFL, two spring leagues from last season. I personally think this may be the best spring football ever. Rivaling USFL from the 80s even. Week 1 may be sloppy (same with the NFL), but I expect an impressive quality of play.

XFL Division:
Arlington Renegades*​
DC Defenders​
St. Louis Battlehawks​
San Antinio Brahmas​

USFL Division:
Birmingham Stallions*​
Memphis Showboats​
Houston Rougnecks​
Michigan Panthers​
*league champions

Season starts this Saturday, 3/30. The biggest game will be Arlington vs. Birmingham. Champion vs. Champion.

Rules are very similar to the NFL, the pace of the game a little quicker - shorter play clock, thus games don’t drag as much. Officiating is better. You’ll see camera angles you don’t in the NFL - drone replays, guys with cameras on the field, helmet cams, ref cams. Not always, but you’ll see them. Often players, coaches are mic’d up. Sometimes you'll actually hear the offensive play called and the commentator may tell you what play that means, what to look for, which is cool. Ref’s are mic’d up.

You’ll recognize some names. AJ McCarron, Case Cookus, Matt Corral, others. One name you may not recognize is Luis Perez, who is QB for Arlington and quite good in the clutch, "the King of Spring".

Players make a base salary of about $60k. Ticket prices to games are very reasonable, as low as $15 in some places. Games will be on a combination of Fox, ABC, ESPN. If you have ESPN+ you can watch the games. Highlights always on YouTube.

Despite Arlington being XFL champion, I think the best teams will be Birmingham, St. Louis and DC. St. Louis has by far the best crowds, could top 40,000 in a few games.

Here's a very entertaining football guy from Denver talking about the league.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfm6fF5rR00&ab_channel=ThatsGoodSports

Here's a good article on the UFL - the last great hope for spring football:

IMO, the two main problems are the lack of talent (never heard of most of these players) and the fact of football being played in the  spring. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hung over from the long NFL season. And with the exception of the draft that I'll watch, I've starting watching more of the NBA & cycling. And the way time flies these days, it won't be long until August is here & we're talking NFL again. Lol.

If you look at the  NBA G league - which is basically the NBA minor-league farm system that is financially supported by the NBA franchises - it runs parallel to the NBA season. And many players are on a two-way contracts who go back & forth between the G league team they're playing on & the team's NBA affiliate. And of course, there's the NBA summer league for the rookies, but again that's part of the NBA & financed by the league.

If I was a betting man, I don't see the UFL surviving & I think the idea of spring football will be shelved forever. It's all about TV ratings these days & I don't think the UFL will have the ratings high enough to justify it's existence.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty hung over from the long NFL season.
I'd much rather watch the UFL than all the nonsense going on with the NFL right now with free agency, contract negotiations, let alone the painfully slow draft. In fact, having watched the last two years, I'd often rather watch the now UFL than even the NFL. Yes, I'm being honest, and I'm not the only one. Having said that, I'm well aware the NFL draft ratings will dwarf even the biggest UFL game.

You may not know many players, but just like in the NFL every year, fans start to learn names of players and their styles and personalities as they watch games. Will that happen with the UFL? With dedicated fans, yes. With casual fans? I agree there that they may not perceive such a thing in the same way as they do the NFL.

Ideally I think the UFL needs to start the week after the Super Bowl. That's when the XFL started last season, and I think future seasons will start (presuming they get there), but the merger took longer than expected.
If you look at the  NBA G league - which is basically the NBA minor-league farm system that is financially supported by the NBA franchises...
There are issues with this. For one, the NFL doesn't own the UFL. The NFL doesn't seem to want to own it. It already has it's feeder system (for now) - the NCAA. So there's little partnership. I'm not sure the UFL wants to be owned or managed by the NFL, a league with mostly short tempered, impatient owners of teams.

As to ratings, I think it needs to be not compared to the NFL, at all, or NCAA, at all, none, zero. But instead compared to what it's costs are, and compared to other sports and their ratings and support. Put another way, ratings in the XFL and USFL the last few years were similar to MLS, the USTA, Indycar, and some NHL, MLB and even a few NBA games. Not just mid-week games, but even a couple playoff games the ratings were not far off. The crowds in some XFL games were about that of an average MLB mid-week game between two non-contending teams (say, the Pirates at the Padres), but UFL players make much less money, and charge much less for ticket prices. Sustaining this with consistency however will be key, as the UFL only has a 10 week season, and two weeks of playoffs. There's not a lot of wiggle room to have a weak month.

I also think the NCAA is going to turn into a jumbled house of cards, mostly football and basketball. The sports and games will find a way to still exist, but in a myriad of semi-professional games, leagues, conferences, between lawsuits, union negotiations, protests, legal hearings, and investigations. The lid has come off the bottle, and the genie of money and greed is now out. Not just players, NIL, and of course coaches, staff, chancellors and trustees, but predators who see this as a golden goose and are ready with their knives ready to take advantage of it all.

While I agree the marketing is going to have to be way better than the XFL did, and the USFL did what I'd call a so-so job in 2023. But I call total BS on this being "the last hope" for another football league. That's just negative naysaying from a presumptive, negative perspective of pessimism. It might be if it fails the last...for a few years, until someone else with some deep pockets comes along and tries again, maybe in early winter. Also, the USFL actually made money in 2022, about $16m, and an undisclosed slight profit in 2023. The XFL lost a chunk in 2023, but it was their stated intention all along to have 2023 to be a loss leader of sorts. They were still planning on a 2024 season when the merger just made more sense for both leagues. But the XFL paid players, coaches, and others better than the USFL, especially bonuses. The UFL has tightened that belt quite a bit. The mean earnings will be about what the USFL was, but they greatly curbed a lot of the bonuses both the USFL and XFL had. The UFL is well aware there cannot be just a bunch of hype, and the league must be financially viable, and are running a tight ship. Will it work? I guess we'll find out!

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Keep in mind Dallas was somewhat lucky with Dak. He stepped right in when Romo got hurt, and played quite well from the start. He just hasn't improved a great deal since then. Some, but not in big games at all. One could argue his best chance was the year he broke his ankle. I haven't studied the details, but I'd be curious how mobile and how much of a risk taker he's been since.

Drake Maye threw an almost absurd 70 passes on his pro day. Some QBs throw half that amount. I can't think of another QB who threw this much in my lifetime. I seem to recall people thinking Geno Smith threw too much on his Pro Day (64. Looked it up).

I think Michael Penix pro day running and doing drills, as well as several throws on the run, was a smart move. There's a concern of him being fragile, even I have expressed that. By coming out of the gate like this he's saying he's fully healthy and ready to go.

Mock drafts continue to get more and more pointless and ridiculous. Someone needs to get it over with and have a mock that has Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthey, Nix and Penix going 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. :nomouth:
Yeah the irony is that Dak was a 4th round pick himself. So from that point of view they have done well. I still think that the redhead seemed to get the best out of Dak and maybe the injuries have also had an effect especially the bad ankle injury. Cowboys better hope that Lamb doesn't get injured.............still don't get why the Cowboys didn't get a quality RB, surely it would help. Sounds like it's about the money as they have Dak's contract then a few more high profile contracts to worry about soon such as Parsons and Lamb.

Last edited:
I know this is an NFL thread, but I'm going to post some about the UFL, because I'm a big fan of the league. Here's everything you need to know in a nutshell:

This is a merger between the USFL and XFL, two spring leagues from last season. I personally think this may be the best spring football ever. Rivaling USFL from the 80s even. Week 1 may be sloppy (same with the NFL), but I expect an impressive quality of play.

XFL Division:
Arlington Renegades*​
DC Defenders​
St. Louis Battlehawks​
San Antinio Brahmas​

USFL Division:
Birmingham Stallions*​
Memphis Showboats​
Houston Rougnecks​
Michigan Panthers​
*league champions

Season starts this Saturday, 3/30. The biggest game will be Arlington vs. Birmingham. Champion vs. Champion.

Rules are very similar to the NFL, the pace of the game a little quicker - shorter play clock, thus games don’t drag as much. Officiating is better. You’ll see camera angles you don’t in the NFL - drone replays, guys with cameras on the field, helmet cams, ref cams. Not always, but you’ll see them. Often players, coaches are mic’d up. Sometimes you'll actually hear the offensive play called and the commentator may tell you what play that means, what to look for, which is cool. Ref’s are mic’d up.

You’ll recognize some names. AJ McCarron, Case Cookus, Matt Corral, others. One name you may not recognize is Luis Perez, who is QB for Arlington and quite good in the clutch, "the King of Spring".

Players make a base salary of about $60k. Ticket prices to games are very reasonable, as low as $15 in some places. Games will be on a combination of Fox, ABC, ESPN. If you have ESPN+ you can watch the games. Highlights always on YouTube.

Despite Arlington being XFL champion, I think the best teams will be Birmingham, St. Louis and DC. St. Louis has by far the best crowds, could top 40,000 in a few games.

Here's a very entertaining football guy from Denver talking about the league.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfm6fF5rR00&ab_channel=ThatsGoodSports
While I know that scheduling/TV, etc. are crazy, having their opening weekend be during the NCAA tournaments isn't the best way to pull in old and new fans.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I'd much rather watch the UFL than all the nonsense going on with the NFL right now with free agency, contract negotiations, let alone the painfully slow draft. In fact, having watched the last two years, I'd often rather watch the now UFL than even the NFL. Yes, I'm being honest, and I'm not the only one. Having said that, I'm well aware the NFL draft ratings will dwarf even the biggest UFL game.

You may not know many players, but just like in the NFL every year, fans start to learn names of players and their styles and personalities as they watch games. Will that happen with the UFL? With dedicated fans, yes. With casual fans? I agree there that they may not perceive such a thing in the same way as they do the NFL.

Ideally I think the UFL needs to start the week after the Super Bowl. That's when the XFL started last season, and I think future seasons will start (presuming they get there), but the merger took longer than expected.

There are issues with this. For one, the NFL doesn't own the UFL. The NFL doesn't seem to want to own it. It already has it's feeder system (for now) - the NCAA. So there's little partnership. I'm not sure the UFL wants to be owned or managed by the NFL, a league with mostly short tempered, impatient owners of teams.

As to ratings, I think it needs to be not compared to the NFL, at all, or NCAA, at all, none, zero. But instead compared to what it's costs are, and compared to other sports and their ratings and support. Put another way, ratings in the XFL and USFL the last few years were similar to MLS, the USTA, Indycar, and some NHL, MLB and even a few NBA games. Not just mid-week games, but even a couple playoff games the ratings were not far off. The crowds in some XFL games were about that of an average MLB mid-week game between two non-contending teams (say, the Pirates at the Padres), but UFL players make much less money, and charge much less for ticket prices. Sustaining this with consistency however will be key, as the UFL only has a 10 week season, and two weeks of playoffs. There's not a lot of wiggle room to have a weak month.

I also think the NCAA is going to turn into a jumbled house of cards, mostly football and basketball. The sports and games will find a way to still exist, but in a myriad of semi-professional games, leagues, conferences, between lawsuits, union negotiations, protests, legal hearings, and investigations. The lid has come off the bottle, and the genie of money and greed is now out. Not just players, NIL, and of course coaches, staff, chancellors and trustees, but predators who see this as a golden goose and are ready with their knives ready to take advantage of it all.

While I agree the marketing is going to have to be way better than the XFL did, and the USFL did what I'd call a so-so job in 2023. But I call total BS on this being "the last hope" for another football league. That's just negative naysaying from a presumptive, negative perspective of pessimism. It might be if it fails the last...for a few years, until someone else with some deep pockets comes along and tries again, maybe in early winter. Also, the USFL actually made money in 2022, about $16m, and an undisclosed slight profit in 2023. The XFL lost a chunk in 2023, but it was their stated intention all along to have 2023 to be a loss leader of sorts. They were still planning on a 2024 season when the merger just made more sense for both leagues. But the XFL paid players, coaches, and others better than the USFL, especially bonuses. The UFL has tightened that belt quite a bit. The mean earnings will be about what the USFL was, but they greatly curbed a lot of the bonuses both the USFL and XFL had. The UFL is well aware there cannot be just a bunch of hype, and the league must be financially viable, and are running a tight ship. Will it work? I guess we'll find out!
I can't speak for others obviously, but name recognition isn't really that important for me when I'm watching a game between two teams that aren't my 'favorites'. For example, I hardly know any of the names in the NCAA (men's/woman's) tournament, but its entertaining because its the highest level of college basketball. I only watched one regular season game (BSU), and four (3 men, 1 women) league championship games, but now I've watched 10 (?) games in the post season.

Circling that around to the UFL, if the game is entertaining, I'll watch even though I will only recognize a few names.

Last edited:
I watch football for the quality of play and often during NFL games I don't know many players. I like college football and am certainly giving other pro football a look, watched some today as it's poooooouring rain and the teams were both sub standard and play calling was better than high school but only by a little, first quarter QB had four attempts, an interception and 3 total yards.. Turned to a cooking show about no bake cheesecake