• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 736 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Maybe they should just play in small stadiums and fill them, because it will look good to fans like you. Even though it will cost the league money. Or do you think they should just fold now, quit? Glad you're not the commissioner!

Keep in mind, it was Easter Sunday. That didn't help. Yes, the season should have started after the Super Bowl, but the merger paperwork wasn't even done then.

As I said before, way back when. I like the idea of the UFL. If you don't, then don't watch it. But trashing it because you don't like it is just wasting everyone's time, including your own.
Calm down Alpe...take a few deep breaths...maybe go out & get a run or bike in. I'm beginning to wonder if you bought some shares in some UFL teams or something? Lol

I'm not trashing the league but merely critiquing it after the opening weekend. Yes, attendance is down but you bring up a good point about the league opening up on Easter weekend as opposed to after the SB. In fact, here's an article about Easter weekend probably had an effect on attendance:

I don't have anything against the league personally as I have no dog in this fight. If attendance improves over the next couple of weekends...then great. And if the league survives & it can maintain decent ratings...then that's very good. And if the league is employing dozens of players that normally would be out of the sport allowing them to continue to pursue their dream of making an NFL roster some day, then that's probably the best aspect of the league.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
MI think the depth of talent in the NFL is staggering. The difference between the best and worst player on almost any position (aside from QB probably) is razor thin.
Definitely QB without a doubt as the drop off between the starters & backups is pretty profound...no surprises there. With the OL there's also a big drop off between starters & backups

It's hard to find big, huge guys well over 300 lbs that are agile & quick. There's plenty of big monsters on the OL in college ball but many don't have the quickness & agility to play at the level of the NFL.

Take Joe Alt who's projected as the #1 offensive lineman in this draft & probably a top 10 pick OA. A literal monster at 6'8" & 322 lbs with unbelievable quickness & agility. He ran almost a 5 flat 40 & did 4.51 on the 20-yd shuttle! This would have been unheard of 30 yrs ago as coaches would have said a man that size could not be that fast or quick (of course Alt got his great genetics from his dad, John, who was a 1st rd draft pick for KC in 1984 & went on to make the Chief's HOF).

View: https://youtu.be/LGxuTfMqCgE?si=23d133U98ib9o1iS

Very true. Offensive linemen also do the lions share of work in the entire game, and I think the casual fan doesn't have any idea how complex blocking schemes are, especially considering the defense can move wherever they want pre-snap. I'm just a football junkie and even I don't comprehend it all.
Now what would be interesting to see is best college team vs UFL.
I think the Birmingham Stallions would pretty much dominate the Michigan Wolverines, though at times Michigan could put together a few drives, get a few stops. The Houston Roughnecks did not play well this past week in the UFL, but I would still pick them to beat any NCAA team. The pro level, even the UFL, is that much better, with grown men, and would continually push back the college team at the line of scrimmage on almost every play. Keep in mind, most of the players on Michigan will not make the NFL, or the UFL. Most players in the UFL were signed to camp on NFL teams in the past, played in the NFL pre-season, a few played or sat on NFL teams. Several will end up in the NFL next year. Here's another way of looking at it:

Carolina Panthers 45, Michigan Wolverines 3
Carolina Panthers 34, Birmingham Stallions 10
Birmingham Stallions 27, Michigan Wolverines 9
Houston Roughnecks 23, Michigan Wolverines 10

Last year when the DC Defenders were I think 8-1 in the XFL, someone asked the coach or one of the players if they'd like to play the Washington Commanders (then a dumpster fire with Snyder's imminent demise), I think coach responded with a little grin, "Oh, I think we could give them a run for their money." Translation, "Might be a good pay day, but no, we're not that good."
[Edit. Ignore those NFL vs. College games back in the 1970s. As little of effort as the pro bowl]
Carson Wentz to KC...
Oh my! Just a week ago I was telling friends KC might go 16-1 this coming season. Now, one step back after another. Not that I like the team. In fact as a Raider fan I'm hoping they start Wentz all 17 games!

Crazy how salaries are going up for WRs and QBs but the trades have been the opposite. Texans building a nice roster. Diggs for 18-19 million per season is a bargain. Texans finessed that trade. even Ridley is getting 23 per season. 49ers expected to pay Aiyuk at least 25 per season. Plus they get the two later round picks as well as part of the trade ! Sounds like maybe the Bills and Diggs were at loggerheads. He has been doing a lot of complaining in the past two seasons or so.

Last edited:

Crazy how salaries are going up for WRs and QBs but the trades have been the opposite. Texans building a nice roster. Diggs for 18-19 million per season is a bargain. Texans finessed that trade. even Ridley is getting 23 per season. 49ers expected to pay Aiyuk at least 25 per season. Plus they get the two later round picks as well as part of the trade ! Sounds like maybe the Bills and Diggs were at loggerheads. He has been doing a lot of complaining in the past two seasons or so.
That is a good trade for HOU (assuming Diggs keeps playing at his current pace).

Reactions: movingtarget
I think this is one of those win-win trades. Houston gets a very good receiver for their young QB, and Diggs will get new scenery. The Bills shed his salary, and drama. Let's see if the Bills sign Tyler Boyd, or how aggressive they are in the draft. I don't see them signing Odell Beckham, Michael Thomas, or Hunter Renfrow, the other name FA receivers, unless their price drops an awful lot.

I'm still thinking Buffalo will push to sign Stephon Gilmore, once the price drops low enough, now that it looks like the Packers didn't want to pay him. He began his career in Buffalo, and may not be someone to play all downs, in the Bills platoon system his value at CB could contribute a lot. Rumor is he's looking to go to Carolina, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why. Money?

I find this a bizarre move by the Texans. If I had a star young QB on my team the last receiver I'd want anything to do with was Diggs.

Based on last season they already have a #1 WR in Nico Collins who is in the last year of his rookie contract and will need paying. Diggs will presumably be #2. They have Robert Woods who has a cap hit of 10m but might be let go now. Noah Brown was re-signed so he's back in the rotation. They also have John Metchie who was a highly touted rookie in 2022 but then had leukaemia. He could still be smart. Plus they have last year's rookie Tank Dell who looked very promising before his season was cut short through injury.

I doubt therefore we've seen the end of Diggs sulks. Popcorn at the ready

I find this a bizarre move by the Texans. If I had a star young QB on my team the last receiver I'd want anything to do with was Diggs.

Based on last season they already have a #1 WR in Nico Collins who is in the last year of his rookie contract and will need paying. Diggs will presumably be #2. They have Robert Woods who has a cap hit of 10m but might be let go now. Noah Brown was re-signed so he's back in the rotation. They also have John Metchie who was a highly touted rookie in 2022 but then had leukaemia. He could still be smart. Plus they have last year's rookie Tank Dell who looked very promising before his season was cut short through injury.

I doubt therefore we've seen the end of Diggs sulks. Popcorn at the ready
If Diggs becomes a distraction to the young QB, HOU need to pay him to go on vacation. They can ask KC how to use IR for that.

Maurice Jones-Drew created his own mock draft, and it's the most entertaining one yet! He's topped the QB hysteria more than anyone with five QBs taken in the first six picks, with JJ McCarthy - the next Tom Brady (you heard it here first!) - now leapfrogging his way to #3 overall!

1. Caleb Williams - Chi
2. Jayden Daniels - Was
3. JJ McCarthey - NE
4. Marvin Harrison Jr. - Ari
5. Drake Maye - Minn
6. Michael Penix - NYG

MJD doesn't even have Bo Nix going in the first round though to anyone. He has Denver taking CB Terrion Arnold (I guess Jarett Stidham is the guy in Denver!) , and the Raiders taking Rom Odunze, a WR. Very bizarre as the Raiders are loaded at WR. Makes zero sense.

Many other mocks now have JJ up at #3, one had him going #2 overall. Must have been that twirling bomb he threw in the home video. I mean, who else can make a pass like that?! I didn't even see the great Zach Wilson make that throw.

A lot of hysteria driven Raider fans noticed the Raiders interviewed Penix and are now convinced the Raiders will take him at #13 overall, and he will the team's future QB, assuming he'll be able to shred NFL defenses the way he beat NCAA teams, and lead the Raiders to the promise land with his golden arm talent.

"Another serving of Koolaid, sir?"
"Make it a double!"

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
The Broncos also interviewed Penix, so that same hype exists here. The Broncos with the 12th pick would definitely have to trade up some to get Penix. The other QB the Broncos like is NIx. Payton is supposedly really high on this guy - and why wouldn't he be if the scouts are deeming him as the next "Drew Brees." Lol. And he should easily be available at the 12th.

And if MJD is right with five QBs going in the first 6 picks that means these five will more than likely be starting week #1. What a potential disaster that'll be - open season on rookie QBs. Lol

The Broncos also interviewed Penix, so that same hype exists here. The Broncos with the 12th pick would definitely have to trade up some to get Penix.
I think that's going to happen too. While I think it will be a huge overdraft, teams are desperate and drunk on the idea that an NCAA quarterback can save their team. 100% certain the Bears, Commanders, Patriots and Vikings will take a QB. It's 50/50 the Giants take one. But it's more likely another team will trade up with the Chargers, Titans or Falcons to get into the top 10. If a team is foolish and desperate enough, they will make a deal giving up the farm to Arizona to get to #4, though I'm pretty sure the Cards are all set on MH jr. I'm surprised the Vikings didn't move up higher than they did, though I don't see Penix falling past them. Even though I think this is too high to draft him.
Nix...the scouts are deeming him as the next "Drew Brees." Lol. And he should easily be available at the 12th.
Definitely. I mean, he plays QB, and Sean Payton will be his coach. Definitely the next Drew Brees. This will be a great upcoming season. We'll get to see not one, but two next Patrick Mahomes (Williams and Young from last year), the next Peyton Manning (Lawerence), the next Drew Brees (Nix), next Michael Vick (sans baggage) in Penix, and the next Tom Brady (McCarthy). All of those teams will have a great shot at going maybe 14-3, these guys competing for the MVP with Stroud. It's even possible Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen and the actual Mahomes might be good too, unless they are now too old and behind the times.

I'd make a great VP of scouting. "Draft a QB!!! Works every time!"

All stupidity aside, watching all these young guys thrown to the wolves - and I think you are right, all of them will start week 1 unless they look outright terrible in camp through preseason - has to have defensive linemen, and DC's just licking their chops. It's much more likely they will have seasons similar to what Bryce Young went through, than Stroud. Though I give Williams an extra chance as the team he's going to has a decent roster, and draft picks (Chicago), the rest in slightly better shape than the Panthers last year. Good luck, kids.

I'm pretty sure the Cards are all set on MH jr.
I think you're right as the Cards seem very content with Murray as their franchise QB especially waiting to see how he recovered from the ACL surgery. But as a #1 OA - and the guy who was supposed to be the savior & make fans forget about the Josh Rosen disaster - he's grossly underachieved. In 4 1/2 seasons, he's 28-36-1 (one winning season) & 0-1 in one lone postseason appearance. Not what you would expect from the #1 player taken in the 2019 draft. At least Lawrence has one playoff win to his name. Lol.

View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1769092120512479550?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1769092120512479550%7Ctwgr%5E4c2f385ef07c97de2bc6ca4c6ae8dc5e4abb19df%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2Fcardinals%2Fnews%2Farizona-cardinals-qb-kyler-murray-earns-more-guaranteed-money

Last edited:
I think you're right as the Cards seem very content with Murray as their franchise QB especially waiting to see how he recovered from the ACL surgery. But as a #1 OA - and the guy who was supposed to be the savior & make fans forget about the Josh Rosen disaster - he's grossly underachieved. In 4 1/2 seasons, he's 28-36-1 (one winning season) & 0-1 in one lone postseason appearance. Not what you would expect from the #1 player taken in the 2019 draft. At least Lawrence has one playoff win to his name. Lol.

View: https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1769092120512479550?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1769092120512479550%7Ctwgr%5E4c2f385ef07c97de2bc6ca4c6ae8dc5e4abb19df%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.si.com%2Fnfl%2Fcardinals%2Fnews%2Farizona-cardinals-qb-kyler-murray-earns-more-guaranteed-money
Another crazy contract.

At age 27 Rosen has signed on with seven teams and is currently unsigned. Last year he spent a season on the Vikings practice squad !

Murray is probably only topped by Deshaun Watson as far as failing to live up to their pay. These guys didn't just get a really nice contract for their effort, they received, "Win MVP, take this team to the Super Bowl!" type contracts, and have been average ever since. They have zero excuses, none. They should be winning, and carrying their teams to a lot of wins with the pay they are getting. Murray's agent thus did a great job fleecing the org. Though my understanding it was owner Michael Bidwell (fresh from inheriting daddy's money, and team) who agreed to his outlandish contract, Murray's average play managed to get both Kingsbury as well as GM Steve Keim fired. Not that anyone should cry for them, especially Kliff, as Bidwell canned him after paying him an outrageous some of money too.

This goes right into Nomad's criticism of Justin Herbert, who last year received a similar contract, more actually. So I'm going to add him to the "MVP or Super Bowl!" list. I don't think "bust" is the right term for any of these guys, but if Herbert, especially with Harbaugh as their HC, doesn't have an impressive season, and make a deep playoff run for the Chargers by the 2025 season, his contract will be just as big of a debacle as those two. Just to be clear, Herbert is now making more money than Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes.
Not what you would expect from the #1 player taken in the 2019 draft. At least Lawrence has one playoff win to his name. Lol.
Not at all.

Just to give you some numbers on Murray, his QBR and Passer Rating (and most other stats) is about 20th best in the league over his career. Similar to Desmond Riddler, Tommy DeVito, Kenny Pickett, Gardner Minshew, Joshua Dobbs, etc. Maybe those guys should go to their agent and demand to make $45m a year?

I'm curious if Lawerence has another 10-7 year, with no playoffs or an early playoff exit, what kind of new contract they may offer him? His year five (which would be 2025) option is I think $12m, plus a potential bonus of what appears to be over $9m that I don't understand. So, would they offer him $55m a year over five years, like the others are getting? Still based on the hype of him from his sophomore year in college being the next Peyton Manning?! Or do they trade him away to some other team who is as giddy as teams that overdraft in the draft and would give up the farm for him? I don't see them franchising him. But can they afford to let him walk after 2025 as an UFA?

This goes right into Nomad's criticism of Justin Herbert, who last year received a similar contract, more actually. So I'm going to add him to the "MVP or Super Bowl!" list. I don't think "bust" is the right term for any of these guys, but if Herbert, especially with Harbaugh as their HC, doesn't have an impressive season, and make a deep playoff run for the Chargers by the 2025 season, his contract will be just as big of a debacle as those two. Just to be clear, Herbert is now making more money than Lamar Jackson and Patrick Mahomes.
Alright then...not a bust yet, but he's certainly on the watch list. Lol. I think this season is do or die for him. At the very least postseason with a playoff win. This isn't like a rebuilding year for Chargers with a rookie QB. Herbert is a 5th year veteran, and if he's making more $$$ than Jackson & Mahomes, then he better start winning like they do. You have to remember Herbert was the 6th OA pick & 3rd QB selected behind Burrow (1) & Tua (5) in 2020. He also was rookie of the year. He hasn't lived up to anything close to his expectations...anyone not blind can see that. And Staley lost his job because of Herbert's poor performance. No more excuses for him. We'll have to see what kind of miracles Harbaugh can perform with Herbert. Lol

I'm curious if Lawerence has another 10-7 year, with no playoffs or an early playoff exit, what kind of new contract they may offer him? His year five (which would be 2025) option is I think $12m, plus a potential bonus of what appears to be over $9m that I don't understand. So, would they offer him $55m a year over five years, like the others are getting? Still based on the hype of him from his sophomore year in college being the next Peyton Manning?! Or do they trade him away to some other team who is as giddy as teams that overdraft in the draft and would give up the farm for him? I don't see them franchising him. But can they afford to let him walk after 2025 as an UFA?
Jacksonville is completely sold on Lawrence - no trading him away anytime soon. Though he's definitely underperformed considering his #1 OA status & being tagged as the next "Peyton Manning." But he did have that impressive 2nd year showing some potential by winning the division, beating LAC in the WC round & losing in a close one to KC in the divisional round. Last year they started off as gangbusters going 8-3, with wins over Buffalo, Pittsburg & Indy (twice), before the season completely imploded when Lawrence started getting injured. Their record after his injuries: 1-5! So, if Lawrence recovers from his injuries (the AC joint injury to his throwing shoulder is most concerning) and is 100% going into this season, I think they're back in division title contention & playoffs. Whether or not Lawrence can lead the Jaguars to an eventual SB title & live up to the "Payton Manning" tag is whole another discussion. Lol.

Last edited:
Alpe, I figured that you would really like the way that th game was won yesterday with the use of the 'creative' rules!
Very entertaining! Raiders should have never let Chase Garbers go. Should have kept him and Aiden O'Connell, never signed Jimmy Garappolo or Brian Hoyer. Granted I just posted the Carolina Panthers would beat the best UFL team without much of a struggle, but still, Garbers is playing very clutch!

Terrific crowds in St. Louis (over 40k!) and DC too. Fairly weak crowd in Detroit (Tigers playing across the street almost at the same time), and abysmal crowd in Memphis, who doesn't seem to realize they have a team. Nice, gritty win for DC today. Jordan Ta'amu really stepped up late.

After kicking a 64 yard FG last week, Jake Bates of the Michigan Panthers drilled a 62 yarder today!
I wouldn't be surprised at #2. Harbaugh is really promoting his star pupil like crazy - "the best QB I've ever seen at a Pro day."
Let's see Harbaugh put his draft picks and money where his big mouth is then. Why not dump Herbert to a team like Washington, and draft JJ himself? Maybe use the rest of his picks to draft the rest of his Michigan team.

Very entertaining! Raiders should have never let Chase Garbers go. Should have kept him and Aiden O'Connell, never signed Jimmy Garappolo or Brian Hoyer. Granted I just posted the Carolina Panthers would beat the best UFL team without much of a struggle, but still, Garbers is playing very clutch!

Terrific crowds in St. Louis (over 40k!) and DC too. Fairly weak crowd in Detroit (Tigers playing across the street almost at the same time), and abysmal crowd in Memphis, who doesn't seem to realize they have a team. Nice, gritty win for DC today. Jordan Ta'amu really stepped up late.

After kicking a 64 yard FG last week, Jake Bates of the Michigan Panthers drilled a 62 yarder today!

Let's see Harbaugh put his draft picks and money where his big mouth is then. Why not dump Herbert to a team like Washington, and draft JJ himself? Maybe use the rest of his picks to draft the rest of his Michigan team.
That kicker won't be around long. NFL will scoop him up.

Exactly...if McCarthy is the "best" QB he's ever seen at a Pro day (and Harbaugh said he has been to many Pro days in his coaching career), FFS why not draft the kid?

Harbaugh recruited McCarthy right out of HS, was able to keep him at Michigan his freshman year as a backup (very rare these days involving top recruits with the transfer portal), won a National title together, so why not draft him & continue the good times at LA?

The Chargers have the 5th pick - McCarthy could conceivably be available at that slot & they wouldn't have to trade up (Arizona has the 4th & I'm pretty sure like you've stated they're taking MHJ while Chi, Wash & NE - not sold on McCarthy like Harbaugh is - would take Williams, Maye & Daniels).

IMO, if Harbaugh doesn't convince ownership that they need to draft McCarthy then he's a fool with all this rhetoric about McCarthy that he's been spreading. Lol

Last edited:
IMO, if Harbaugh doesn't convince ownership that they need to draft McCarthy then he's a fool with all this rhetoric about McCarthy that he's been spreading. Lol
Or a liar, and has just been trying to help a young guy he knows and is now friends with, to cash in on a bigger paycheck. But yes, if he's convinced McCarthey is the best ever, let's see him draft him at #5 overall.

All the talk about teams trading up to "get their guy", why not grab him without moving up? If McCarthy is not gone by then.

Of course as I've said until I'm blue in the face, the whole "getting their QB for the future" has been proven to be a mistake time and again. Reporters, mock drafts, they repeat this line over and over and over. Recall how Chicago moved up to get their guy in Mitch Trubisky. Well, that didn't work out, so they soon got their guy in Fields. I'm not going to bother listing the rest there are so many. Let's not forget, last year's Super Bowl had a guy drafted at #10 overall, and a guy who was Mr. Irrelevant. The year before it was against a guy drafted in the 2nd round (Hurts). All of these teams had good defenses, and were well coached, mind you. But nope, McCarthy had the best Pro Day ever. He's the next Tom Brady. Don't need a defense, just draft him, let him play, and guaranteed fistful of Super Bowl rings will come our team's way, just like he did at Michigan.