• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 737 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In two weeks the UFL is averaging over 900,000 views across all networks. The DC-Houston game hit 1.4m viewers. This is not a huge number, but it's almost 40% better than either the XFL or USFL last year so far. Week 2 also only saw a minor drop in numbers, despite facing heavy competition from other sports and shows when it was on, and there was an expected drop away from curiosity viewers. These numbers do not include streaming. So far, so good overall here.

Making great progress according to his trainers. This was a bad Grade 3 AC joint tear/dislocation on his throwing shoulder requiring surgery (in the 5th game of the season against TEN, he took off toward the sidelines on a designed running play getting tackled & falling hard on his shoulder). You always have to wonder what the functionality & durability of the shoulder will be with this type of injury.

One of the biggest & strongest QBs I've seen since Tebow, he made a name for himself at the Combine showcasing his surprisingly strong arm strength & throwing talent. A week #1 started last season, he's essentially starting all over again this year.

Last edited:
Good, he needs to be arrested. His lawyer is crazy saying we need to judge him on his past and not just this one incident. If I donate all of my paycheck to charity and volunteer every week but finally kill someone, I’m a murderer. No one gives a crap about the last. Just like people will know he was racing his car, caused an accident, and fled the scene.

Browns re-work Chubb's contract.
That was and still remains one of the more gruesome injuries I have ever seen. Full tear of both the ACL and MCL, and who knows what other damage. Worse looking than Navorro Bowman's injury, and he was never the same player. Most players who tear their ACL really aren't, especially those who cut hard and run hard. I'm hoping he comes back, but wow, maybe some snaps late in this season? Waiting for 2025? Maybe?

Here is the injury. Don't say I didn't warn you:

View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JvrYNV825Gk

Call me a skeptic, but he's one of many examples why I don't think Michael Penix will make it through one full 17 game NFL season (unless on the bench, obviously).
Aren't you referring more to someone like Rodgers? Lol. I'd take MPJ over a lot of guys. Sure, he's had a couple of ACL tears in college, but those types of injuries aren't a big deal anymore with the surgical advances made & the improved rehab protocol.

MPJ has good size, and with the exception of Maye (who's the big kid with this year's prospects), he's as big as the other top QBs. He's also pound for pound one of the strongest QBs out there, and he's shown he can play hurt.

Rodgers is the one that can't make it through a 17 game season. He couldn't even get out of the blocks last year. Lol. And he looks so gimpy out on the field - one hard hit away from being carted off. It's beyond me why the guy doesn't call it a career & retire. He could then make all the rounds on the talking head shows & become a full time member of McAfee's gig. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Aren't you referring more to someone like Rodgers? Lol.
You left out Penix two shoulder surgeries.

Of course many QBs are overdrafted and teams will reach. But to me, Penix is too much of a risk to reach for. The other issue I have about Penix is that game against Michigan where he looked very average, sub average really. Contrast this to footage I watched of him hitting receivers in very soft zones with deep coverage in Pac-12 games. Even in the Oregon game they gave him a lot of leeway. I think those teams were just worried their CBs couldn't cover deep, and he would burn them. Similar against Texas, though Penix did look terrific in that game. I wish him well, I just wouldn't blow a first round pick on him, like I'm sure someone will. I actually think he'll fall no further than Denver. But we'll see.

Rodgers isn't a rookie. But yes, I don't think he'll make it through the season either! A new bet for Vegas, who will last longer in 2024, Aaron Rodgers, or Michael Penix? As to the Jets, I think this could be a very bad year for them. Rodgers doesn't start well, doesn't play that good, despite making some impressive throws, and in week 3-5 he goes down with another injury. This leaves them with Zach Wilson, Tyrod Taylor to lead them to yet another 6-11 season. Plus, with the cash they gave Rodgers, and picks they gave up, the Jets are headed for another decade of futility. It's their destiny.

That was a very exciting game with DC & Arlington. I actually watched the 2nd half as the game was on ESPN before the Bama spring game.

I like the UFL's point-after attempt system where a team can go for 1, 2 or 3 points after a TD. But the onside-kick alternative where a team will have a 4th & 12 opportunity from their 28 is very exciting to watch.

The NFL should definitely adapt this onside-kick alternative as it would add a whole new dimension of excitement late in games.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed the game! That was the most exciting game this weekend. Crazy ending. Felt bad for Arlington QB Luis Perez. Week in and out he plays quite well, is the true leader of his team, and between dropped balls, defensive collapses, or special teams seem to let him down. Except Perez actually did win the XFL championship last year, and MVP in the game, so I don't feel that bad for the guy.

The St. Louis-Alrington game was back and forth until it got late. Decent crowds at both of these games.

We're 11 days from the NFL draft. Will be wonderful, as all the endless mocks, and speculation, some of it absurdly wild, will be over.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
You left out Penix two shoulder surgeries.

Of course many QBs are overdrafted and teams will reach. But to me, Penix is too much of a risk to reach for. The other issue I have about Penix is that game against Michigan where he looked very average, sub average really. Contrast this to footage I watched of him hitting receivers in very soft zones with deep coverage in Pac-12 games. Even in the Oregon game they gave him a lot of leeway. I think those teams were just worried their CBs couldn't cover deep, and he would burn them. Similar against Texas, though Penix did look terrific in that game. I wish him well, I just wouldn't blow a first round pick on him, like I'm sure someone will. I actually think he'll fall no further than Denver. But we'll see.

Rodgers isn't a rookie. But yes, I don't think he'll make it through the season either! A new bet for Vegas, who will last longer in 2024, Aaron Rodgers, or Michael Penix? As to the Jets, I think this could be a very bad year for them. Rodgers doesn't start well, doesn't play that good, despite making some impressive throws, and in week 3-5 he goes down with another injury. This leaves them with Zach Wilson, Tyrod Taylor to lead them to yet another 6-11 season. Plus, with the cash they gave Rodgers, and picks they gave up, the Jets are headed for another decade of futility. It's their destiny.
I'll say it again about the CFP championship game: the offense was completely hampered by an injured running back. The D could key on Penix all day and he got a rib shot that made it tough to pass at all. Watch his motion after the half and you'll see any pass was pretty much an arm-toss. He played tough the balance of the game but UW had no options at that point. When they beat Texas they still had about 50% of their running game to work with. Having watched him, Bo Nix and the other Pac12 teams that he beat (Bo/Ducks twice) the judgement based on injuries season's ago and the last CFP game aren't an adequate review.

That said; he should go 2nd round and hopefully to Vegas with some good receivers.

Reactions: jmdirt
I could be wrong, but I think he, and Nix, will both go in the first round. Maybe early. Teams almost always overdraft QBs. They see someone like Penix and the Huskies going 14-1, look at player stats (skewed, as they play plenty of weak NCAA teams) and think "maybe he can do that to our team!" As to the championship game, plenty of QBs have faced that much adversity, or more, and played better, even won.

But I can only repeat what I said before. I'll be surprised if Penix can get through an entire 17 game NFL season with his history of injuries in college. Look at how many healthy, professional QBs went down last year, many of them with little or no injury history. And this is assuming his game play translates well to the NFL. A very risky pick to me, but I think he'll be taken in the 1st round anyway. Maybe even as soon as Denver at 12.

Raiders badly need a right tackle. They also need a guard, and a CB. They could also use a LB who can cover. I'm not convinced Penix will be better than either O'Connell, or Minshew for that matter.