• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone who complained that most of the games in the first round were boring had to be thrilled by this weekend. Two games for the ages, and one riveting performance by the guy they’re now calling Keepernick. And as Foxxy said, NE is making a statement. Brady passes Montana as winningest QB in the postseason.

The Denver game is a good example of why I don’t bet on NFL games (and also why I don't get too passionate about any team; at my age, I can't afford the stress it puts on one's heart). I picked Denver, and counting the 49ers as a pick I made, on the condition that Smith played and was reasonably healthy, I should be 8-0 for the postseason. That 70 yard pass in the final minute was a classic you gotta be kidding me moment. The main coverage guy just stopped running, and hung 3-4 yards back of the WR, WTF was that all about? The other coverage guy, coming over to help, in effect gambled he could knock the pass down by jumping. Had he not made that gamble, which of course he lost, but just kept running towards the receiver, he could have at least reached him in time to tackle him after he caught the ball.

And while there were some questionable calls affecting both teams, two of Manning’s turnovers probably should not have been. That first pick for a TD came off pretty obvious pass interference. The pass was on target, the ball went up in the air because the WR had a DB all over him before the ball arrived. And Manning’s fumble was EXACTLY the same Tuck rule play that was ruled an incomplete pass for Brady, and allowed the Pats to start their SB dynasty. Look at the film and tell me that if Brady’s fumble was an incomplete pass, Manning’s wasn’t.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Wow,
Kaep the new RG3 (he might never return, as i expected)?

I was thinking if RGIII comes back next year, he might become the new Kaepernick. Problem is, you said QBs shouldn’t rush more than about 200 yards per season, and Keeper just about used up his entire allotment in the GB game.

How to stop him? Didn´t know he throws a 93 mph fastball. Amazing, love it. :)

When he isn’t soft-touching it over the defenders, CK7 throws one of the hardest passes in the NFL. Randy Moss said he almost broke one of his fingers catching one of his passes, said it hurt so much he cried.

Btw, the 49ers said they intentionally abandoned the Pistol offense for the most part in their last two regular games, because they wanted playoff opponents to think they weren’t going to use it. Considering that the 49ers had not yet clinched the division going into those games—and how quickly that Seattle game got out of hand--that was another pretty bold move by Harbaugh. The guy sure looks like a genius now. I was one who thought benching Alex Smith was a bad idea, and the 49ers might have beaten the Packers with him at QB. But Keepernick didn’t just win the game, he had to scare and demoralize the rest of the NFL a little bit.

Two things about the Packers’ play I didn’t understand. One, why they didn’t put more coverage on Crabtree? It’s no secret he’s CK7’s favorite receiver, it’s been that way almost since he took over the QB job. That early pick 6 happened because Crabtree fell down, and CK I think got a little flustered and threw the ball into tough coverage. If Crabtree were better covered, it might open up Vernon Davis, but Keeper has not been able to get in synch much with Davis. You’d think defenses would at least try taking Crabtree out of the game.

Second, why didn’t GB run the ball more in the second half? Harris gained 47 yards in the first half. Very few RBs do that well against the 49er defense, and that capability really opened the passing game up for Rodgers in the first half. But they stopped running in the second half, gave the ball to Harris only twice, and with it, they stopped scoring. The game was close till the fourth quarter, yet the Packers played as though they were far behind. Maybe being scared of Keepernick does that to you.

With J. Smith fairly healthy (I think he was second on the team in tackles), the only concerns I see for the 49ers are the pass rush (Rodgers was sacked only once, and GBs OL isn’t really that good), and Akers. He made the one FG he was called on to kick, but it was under 40 yards. It remains to be seen how he will do on longer ones. His backup is Billy (Bye, Bye Blackbirds) Cuniff.

As a 49er fan, I’m relieved Seattle lost. I like the 49ers chances better on the road in Atlanta than at home against the Seahawks. That team is really scary, Russell Wilson may be every bit as good as CK (does he ever throw an interception? He almost matched CK’s 2 TD/2 TD performance), and they will be back. Don’t know how that defense allowed the Falcons to come back with thirty seconds, but wake up John Fox, who had Manning take a knee in the virtually the identical situation, except that it was a tie game at the time. Guess he figured it was more likely Manning would throw a pick in that situation than move them into FG range. And sad to say, the way the game played out, he might have been right.

Last year I said I thought the best SB matchup would be 49ers vs. Pats. Still think it’s the most intriguing possibility this year. That game has everything. History: two of the NFL’s most successful franchises, a combined eight SB wins. Old vs. new: NE seemingly near the end of a dynasty, SF maybe starting one. Bellichick/Brady one of the longest running coach/QB duos in history, Harbaugh/Keeper the newest. Offense vs. defense, though the 49ers look a lot more dangerous offensively this year than last year.

The game they played earlier this year would have been a really wild SB. But then again, NE made that monster comeback after J. Smith was out. With him in the game, it could have been a blowout. But I'm thinking SF vs. NE would be a lot like SF vs. GB. Very high scoring.

P.S. - Can you believe? SF has not won a road playoff game since the Montana era? And Montana only won that one road game, he was 1-3 on the road, at least as a 49er. Young never won on the road. So Eli Manning and Ben Rothlisberger have each won more road games in one postseason than Montana and Young combined in their entire careers. Weird.

Merckx index said:
Two things about the Packers’ play I didn’t understand. One, why they didn’t put more coverage on Crabtree? It’s no secret he’s CK7’s favorite receiver, it’s been that way almost since he took over the QB job. That early pick 6 happened because Crabtree fell down, and CK I think got a little flustered and threw the ball into tough coverage. If Crabtree were better covered, it might open up Vernon Davis, but Keeper has not been able to get in synch much with Davis. You’d think defenses would at least try taking Crabtree out of the game.

Defenses could put a safety over the top of Crabtree, but it is possible GB did not have any to commit on some plays considering this:
- Everyone talks about the SF WRs, TE Vernon, Gore, the DLine, LBs, and now CK7 but not many talk about the OLine. Oline is one of SFs strengths. The SF OL just overpowered the front 7 of the GB defense, including the LBs. So on play action plays with OLine blocking schemes made to look like run but are really pass... the GB safeties might have come down in the box leaving the SF WRs in man coverage. Don't recall if that is what happened. But may have gone that way.
- then on some plays if the GB defense puts 8 in the box to stop Gore, then they only have one deep to cover, which is not enough vs SF.
SF is one of those offensive teams that are difficult to counter all the options. Even more so now with KC7 running wild. If defenses take away one thing, SF's offense is diverse enough to hit them at the weak spot.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
two of Manning’s turnovers probably should not have been. That first pick for a TD came off pretty obvious pass interference. The pass was on target, the ball went up in the air because the WR had a DB all over him before the ball arrived. And Manning’s fumble was EXACTLY the same Tuck rule play that was ruled an incomplete pass for Brady, and allowed the Pats to start their SB dynasty. Look at the film and tell me that if Brady’s fumble was an incomplete pass, Manning’s wasn’t.

Maybe, maybe not. The PI was a millisecond judgment. Yes we can say BAL got away with it.
The fumble/Tuck... well, well, we have to live with that BS since the Pats got their SB-Year fixed for in 2001. BTW, Warner vs. PIT in the SB had the EXACT same fumble/Tuck as Brady... and they called it a fumble. Game over. Warner was stolen, again.
Anyway: For the thousand years or so before the Brady-Tuck, those plays were fumbles. As they should be. And even if we take away the 2 turnovers, PM had a lousy pass efficiency of 5.something in Y/PP. Under league avg., lightyears away from his RS efficiency. Yes it was cold, but so it was for Flacco and other great QB-Performances in the playoffs. If you can´t convert TWO return TDS into wins, you are the right loser. Bad D or not...

Merckx index said:
I was thinking if RGIII comes back next year, he might become the new Kaepernick. Problem is, you said QBs shouldn’t rush more than about 200 yards per season, and Keeper just about used up his entire allotment in the GB game.

Yes, true (did i make the line at 200?). Anyway, running QB´s never won a SB. That might be because those QB´s hurt their pass efficiency. They put up gaudy run stats, but the same time those QB´s got sacked a lot; plus they take off too soon, while exp. QB´s wait for the open receiver. Cunningham for example learned to play that way late in his career.
Anyway; those new age QB´s (RG3, Kaep, Wilson) put up gaudy run stats AND have amazing pass efficiency (something unseen ever before). So let´s see if this season goes to a pocket passer or the first "running-QB". I wouldn´t be too sad if SF loses to ATL. Mike Smith earned it, to go to the big game once...

Merckx index said:
When he isn’t soft-touching it over the defenders, CK7 throws one of the hardest passes in the NFL. Randy Moss said he almost broke one of his fingers catching one of his passes, said it hurt so much he cried.

Didn´t know all that. Didn´t see Kaep play before. Shouldn´t have boycotted the regular season, maybe. ;)

Merckx index said:
Btw, the 49ers said they intentionally abandoned the Pistol offense for the most part in their last two regular games, because they wanted playoff opponents to think they weren’t going to use it. Considering that the 49ers had not yet clinched the division going into those games—and how quickly that Seattle game got out of hand--that was another pretty bold move by Harbaugh. The guy sure looks like a genius now. I was one who thought benching Alex Smith was a bad idea, and the 49ers might have beaten the Packers with him at QB. But Keepernick didn’t just win the game, he had to scare and demoralize the rest of the NFL a little bit.

Great moves by Harbaugh indeed. Let´s see how his play calling/game managment will be when the going gets tough in the playoffs. I still give the edge to Smith of ATL here.

Merckx index said:
Guess he figured it was more likely Manning would throw a pick in that situation than move them into FG range.

LMAO. That is harder critic on PM than mine, since you put it into a sarcastic sentense (at least i read it like that :)).

Merckx index said:
NE seemingly near the end of a dynasty

Why? I see no signs at all... :confused:

on3m@n@rmy said:
but not many talk about the OLine

Exactly. OL in sync is the most important factor. No doubt about that.

No time to write.

Disappointed Seattle lost. Fully expect SF to take Atlanta out. even if Keep hardly runs at all.

Not surprised by NE, and will likely take them, over Baltimore. But Gronk is out again. Who knows how much magic the Ravens have in the lantern.

ESPN Did a spot this year showing that the tuck rule was called three times this season. Care to guess how many times it was called between Brady and this year? And yes, same exact play with Warner and the Cards in the SB. But that one was ruled a fumble.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I am somehow safe:
Have bet everything on BAL straight (1:3.4), and a little extra on SF for future SB-Odds (1:3.25). As i feel save now, i am not convinced.

So i still have to root hard for ATL & NE for the dream superbowl. :)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Maybe, maybe not. The PI was a millisecond judgment. Yes we can say BAL got away with it.
The fumble/Tuck... well, well, we have to live with that BS since the Pats got their SB-Year fixed for in 2001. BTW, Warner vs. PIT in the SB had the EXACT same fumble/Tuck as Brady... and they called it a fumble. Game over. Warner was stolen, again.
Anyway: For the thousand years or so before the Brady-Tuck, those plays were fumbles. As they should be. And even if we take away the 2 turnovers, PM had a lousy pass efficiency of 5.something in Y/PP. Under league avg., lightyears away from his RS efficiency. Yes it was cold, but so it was for Flacco and other great QB-Performances in the playoffs. If you can´t convert TWO return TDS into wins, you are the right loser. Bad D or not...

Yes, true (did i make the line at 200?). Anyway, running QB´s never won a SB. That might be because those QB´s hurt their pass efficiency. They put up gaudy run stats, but the same time those QB´s got sacked a lot; plus they take off too soon, while exp. QB´s wait for the open receiver. Cunningham for example learned to play that way late in his career.
Anyway; those new age QB´s (RG3, Kaep, Wilson) put up gaudy run stats AND have amazing pass efficiency (something unseen ever before). So let´s see if this season goes to a pocket passer or the first "running-QB". I wouldn´t be too sad if SF loses to ATL. Mike Smith earned it, to go to the big game once...

Didn´t know all that. Didn´t see Kaep play before. Shouldn´t have boycotted the regular season, maybe. ;)

Great moves by Harbaugh indeed. Let´s see how his play calling/game managment will be when the going gets tough in the playoffs. I still give the edge to Smith of ATL here.

LMAO. That is harder critic on PM than mine, since you put it into a sarcastic sentense (at least i read it like that :)).

Why? I see no signs at all... :confused:

Exactly. OL in sync is the most important factor. No doubt about that.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I am somehow safe:
Have bet everything on BAL straight (1:3.4), and a little extra on SF for future SB-Odds (1:3.25). As i feel save now, i am not convinced.

So i still have to root hard for ATL & NE for the dream superbowl. :)

What has Mike Smith done to earn a superbowl? Lose all the previous playoff games?

Atlanta gets no respect because they have never proved it. They got lucky that Wilson did not have more than 6 seconds at the end of the game because he would have made a couple of plays and either scored a TD or a field goal.

I hope the 49ers roll the **** birds.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
All I know is my Rams have to deal with 2 of the most dynamic athletes at quarterback in the league in their division. 4 games in hell every season the next 5 years

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
All I know is my Rams have to deal with 2 of the most dynamic athletes at quarterback in the league in their division. 4 games in hell every season the next 5 years

The Rams have a pretty good young group correct? I thought they might be a team on the move next year. But having those two in your division does not help.

I remember the bad days of when the Saints had you guys and the 49ers in the division together. We never stood a chance. Of course those Saints teams are much different than today's Saints.

Two things about Atlanta’s win over Seattle surprised me. One, the ground game. Michael Turner, pretty much invisible most of the regular season, gained nearly one hundred yards, and Rodgers had another 6O plus. When a team with such a great QB and elite receivers can gain that many yards on the ground, their offense is really going to roll.

The other thing was their rush defense. They held Lynch to less than 5O yards. This is the guy who regularly shreds SF’s vaunted rushing defense for over one hundred yards. OTOH, of course, Wilson torched them through the air.

As noted here before, Seattle and SF are very similar teams, with strong defense, strong running game, and highly mobile QBs. So except for preparing for the Pistol, Atlanta can expect much the same next weekend. One thing that could hurt them is that I believe they lost one of their DEs. Keepernick runs outside a lot on those read-options, and they will need to shut that off.

Here's one take on the game:

In two games against the Carolina Panthers this season, Atlanta's defense game up over 200 rushing yards on 28 read-option plays from Cam Newton. Kaepernick is Newton's equal as a runner ... and right now, he's Newton's better as a pure passer…

That's problem one for the Falcons to solve if they want to advance to the Super Bowl. Problem two is how the Falcons' 20th-ranked run defense, per Football Outsiders' opponent-adjusted metrics, will deal with a San Francisco rushing attack that is the most effective, powerful, and versatile remaining among all playoff contenders. The 49ers have the league's best run-blocking line, at least from this pair of eyes, and they confound opposing front sevens with a Valu-Pak of rushing and blocking schemes. Whams, traps, counters ... whatever you can't defend, they'll figure it out.

So, that's the bad news for the Falcons. The good news is that if Atlanta's offense plays as it did against the Seahawks, San Francisco's pass defense could be in a lot of trouble. Against Seattle's stalwart cornerbacks, offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter called a brilliant set of route combinations that kept receivers Roddy White and Julio Jones away from one-on-one matchups. Instead, White and Jones moved around the formation, and through the intermediate level of the defense, in ways that Seattle couldn't stop.

Alpe a couple of weeks ago on Ray Lewis:

Since someone is going to bring it up, I don't think his blemish from the 2000 Superbowl, being associated with and protecting the wrong people will hurt him. Not only was he acquitted of the most serious charges, he completely turned his life around as a person since then. His charitable work and giving has been huge, especially in the Baltimore area.

I might agree that it won't hurt him, but I don't agree with the implication (I think) that it shouldn't hurt him. This was a double murder for God's sake, and the blood of one of the victims was found in Lewis' car. Plus a witness said Lewis told his pals not to talk about it. The clothes he was wearing that night mysteriously disappeared. I think it stinks, he was acquitted in large part because the NFL didn't want bad publicity for their SB star. I appreciate that Lewis has become a better man, but people are supposed to pay for their crimes, and it's pretty hard to look at the known facts of this case, incomplete as they are, and not conclude that Ray Lewis probably committed a serious crime: accessory to murder. That's a blunter way of putting "protecting the wrong people".

Just to be clear Foxxy. if you want to argue that it was the right call to say that PM fumbled, I don’t have a problem with that. My point was that it was not a mistake on PM’s part, in the way that a ball carrier makes a mistake when he doesn’t take care of the ball, and let’s someone punch it out of his grasp. When a QB has his arm cocked and is bringing it forward to throw, he is vulnerable and it’s not really his fault that he loses the ball if he gets hit at that moment. There’s really nothing he can do in that situation.

PM did not have a great day, and you are certainly right that he plays poorly more often than not in the postseason, particularly in cold weather. But had the Denver secondary not screwed up, and the Broncos won in regulation, people would look at his 3 TD passes and say he had a pretty good game. While it’s true that getting two TDs on special teams is rare, and should be enough to give a team a win, remember that each time a return guy runs back a kick, it means that is one less time the offense gets the ball. So the three TDs Denver’s offense scored was pretty good considering they had two fewer drives than they would have had without those returns. Denver was supposed to have a pretty good defense. Thirty-five points should have been enough to win.

As for NE’s dynasty: Brady is 36, I think. Most QBs are done by their late 3Os. NE has no one to replace him when he retires, and at 6O, it’s not clear how much longer BB will be around, either. They’ve had a really long run, can’t see it lasting too much longer.

I remember the bad days of when the Saints had you guys and the 49ers in the division together. We never stood a chance. Of course those Saints teams are much different than today's Saints.

They were known as the N.O. Aints in those days. As in, Aint ever going to win.

So i still have to root hard for ATL & NE for the dream superbowl.

Doesn’t look good for either Atlanta or Baltimore, each of which has an animal (non-human) mascot. In the 46 year history of the SB, only twice have both teams had animal mascots, Denver-Atlanta in SB 33, and Indy-Chicago in SB 41. In contrast, 19 SBs have been played between two teams with non-animal mascots, and 37 of the 46 SBs have been won by teams with non-animal mascots. There have been 25 SBs in which a team with an animal mascot met a team with a non-animal mascot, and the non-animal team has won 18 times. All the teams that have won more than two SBs – Pittsburgh, Dallas, SF, GB, NYG, Washington, NE (Edit: forgot OAK)—have non-animal mascots. This despite the fact that there are currently almost as many teams with animal mascots, 14, as teams with non-animal mascots, 18.

And while we’re on the subject of statistical oddities, I pointed out a while back that the Redskins always do much better under Republican Presidents, e.g., all five of their SB appearances came under Nixon, Reagan or Bush. So anyone who had been paying attention could have predicted that something bad would happen to RGIII.

Amster’s response to this at the time was:

Amsterhammer said:
Just to be perfectly clear, my allegiance to the Skins is not of such a fanatical nature that I would for a moment consider selling my soul to the Republitard devil for a SB. In fact, if I could know for certain that an 0-16 season would prevent a Republitard being elected President, I'd happily say, 'bring it on'. ;)

If RGIII can’t play next season, and the Skins have a losing record, their fans can only wonder how different it might have been had Romney won.
Amster, you have a lot of blood…er, torn ligaments…on your hands.

Before I get to predictions, just some comments on recent posts.

Here is an article on Ray Lewis and the unsolved 2000 murders in Atlanta. In fairness to Lewis one should really watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on him, where he talks about the murders. He talked about them to ESPN, and has spoken about them many times to at risk youths and schools. Has he told everything he knows? I don't know.

Merckx referenced Atlanta having to stop Kaep and the Pistol with a hurt DE. That player is John Abraham, their best DL, who actually is going to play on a gimpy ankle. How well he does remains to be seen. I don't think it's Kaep's running that's the primary thing to look for, that would be a mistake. He leads SF to a full-on offensive assault. Often with his arm as a priority. And as others have noted SF's OL is maybe the best in the NFL. The Falcons say they are not going to run a lot of man defense, as it puts DB's backs to the ball. But just how deep can you put the safetys if SF has Moss or Crabtree running fly patterns? And if the safetys are playing deep and the SF OL opens holes for Gore... I just don't see Atlanta stopping them very easily.

As to Manning last week, as I said I prefer to give credit to Baltimore for fighting tooth and nail until the last play. But it's true PM (again) didn't have a great playoff game. I just don't think you can fully blame him for the loss. As Merckx said, had Denver won, the talk still would have been on how great of a game it was, but not because of, or in spite of, Manning. He did toss 3 TD's and they put up 35 points. This wasn't Jim Kelly in Superbowl XXVI or Craig Morton in Superbowl XII (0.04 passer rating. A game which Morton probably threw, but that's another story).

As to Tom Brady and Bill Bellichek's future and age, while I am not one who thinks Brady is a "system QB" you can put anyone in there (ie. Matt Cassell), I do think the Pats can and will groom someone to replace him and that person will play well. IF they have a good team overall, and a similar system. That QB might be Ryan Mallett in a couple years, or it may be another QB they draft in the 6th round. :)

I fully expect either if NE wins another SB, or when BB gets too old, Josh McDaniels will step in as NE's next HC. He was too emotional and a loose cannon in Denver, and you're never going to turn him into a Belicheck like Zen master. But Josh is now married and has a family and living in the Boston area. I think in another few years he's going to mature more, and there's no doubt he is a gifted football mind.

Those statistical factoids are for humor only. If Atlanta and Baltimore lose it will be because they are inferior teams, not because they have animal mascots. But hey, for entertainment purposes, it's fun.

Finally, a big salute to Russell Wilson. His comments about how when walking down the tunnel after the loss to Atlanta already thinking about next season, and being on the plane ride back to Seattle and studying game film, shows true leadership. Amazing to see in a rookie. How can you not like the kid? My pick for ROY.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
Doesn’t look good for either Atlanta or Baltimore, each of which has an animal (non-human) mascot. In the 46 year history of the SB, only twice have both teams had animal mascots, Denver-Atlanta in SB 33, and Indy-Chicago in SB 41. In contrast, 19 SBs have been played between two teams with non-animal mascots, and 37 of the 46 SBs have been won by teams with non-animal mascots. There have been 25 SBs in which a team with an animal mascot met a team with a non-animal mascot, and the non-animal team has won 18 times. All the teams that have won more than two SBs – Pittsburgh, Dallas, SF, GB, NYG, Washington, NE—have non-animal mascots. This despite the fact that there are currently almost as many teams with animal mascots, 14, as teams with non-animal mascots, 18.

And while we’re on the subject of statistical oddities, I pointed out a while back that the Redskins always do much better under Republican Presidents, e.g., all five of their SB appearances came under Nixon, Reagan or Bush. So anyone who had been paying attention could have predicted that something bad would happen to RGIII.

Amster’s response to this at the time was:

If RGIII can’t play next season, and the Skins have a losing record, their fans can only wonder how different it might have been had Romney won.
Amster, you have a lot of blood…er, torn ligaments…on your hands.

There are stats nerds, then there are what we in Europe call "anoraks", and then there are NFL stats geeks like you three. Animal mascots, for Christ's sake.....

You have no idea how close I came to slitting my wrists as I contemplated my culpability in RG3's demise...but then I thought, 'no, wait, that's bull'. The only conclusion we could realistically draw from this bizarre historical statistic was that the Skins wouldn't win the SB. To infer that our QB would get crocked was taking things just a little too far in my book.

Nevertheless, I fully expect a rejuvenated and bionic 3Bob to return in time to lead us to further glory next season. My prediction for this season was that we would not finish last in the NFCE, so my expectations were already more than surpassed, and I will always look back on this season as a literal re-birth of the beloved patriot nation.:cool:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Here are the strongest QB´s from the NFL combines (2007-2012). All other numbers i´d highly suspect (as Alpe used to say "urban legends" :D).
So i can only estimate from my trained eyes ;) that RG3, Vick and Davey are the only ones (except two) to have hit the 60 mph range in the past decade. But...

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/tag/2007-scouting-combine/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-says-kaepernick-had-combines-strongest-arm/

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2012/03/12/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

... Still Toby Korrodi is the best of them all, by far. What a miss on the NFL. With enough reps and training (remember that backup QB´s are not far behind starters once they are allowed to gain experience; see my numbers some weeks ago), i am 100% sure he´d have made it big time. But then, NFL scouts shy away b/c he came from a small college like Kurt Warner did. And Warner wouldn´t have made it if there was no NFL europe. Scouts fail big time (remember the scene in the movie about Billy Beane), no doubt about that.

Good that Kaepernick got his chance. May b/c his HC is a former QB, so he knows a thing or two. Otherwise he might have stranded on the bench for some years and then silently disappear like sooo many other talented QB´s.

I am surprised by Cousins (didn´t know he´s that strong), Flacco (expected him stronger, see here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVjmXq9vUk), Newton (expected him stronger) and Flynn. He has a Mirer-like-butter-arm. Now we know one reason why SEA started a rokie QB instead of him. He just can´t make the 3-4 difficult throws a game that are required in the NFL (see Simms quote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/03/phil-simms-andrew-luck_n_1073314.html).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
For those who havn´t read "It´s just a bruise...", this read will be a good starter:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...-batard-jason-taylors-pain.html#storylink=cpy

BTW, i am surprised that the author is "shocked". Like those journalists were shocked about the Armstrong case. I mean if they do their jobs they would know everything right away. They just need some work ethic, then they´d know of these things at least since 1990, respectively 1999.

Interesting how Taylor described the pain & the "body lock" when he had a herniated disc. It´s the same i have when i get a acute occurrence. Only that he played trou it while i had to stop playing baseball completely.

As i discussed w/Alpe in the clinic (the latest baseball thread), the numbing shots are the biggest problem*, next to the relative rare catastrophic injuries (like Byrd, Stingley, Utley). Not the concussions (the side effects of those come later in life).

And then come some idiots around like Schlereth, sitting on a stool in ESPN studios and call it "becoming touch football", when illegal hits are penalized or rules are changed. How can such moronic machos talk football (i don´t care if he is an ex-player, since he is dumb)? He just got lucky to come out of the NFL relatively healthy, while his ex-colleagues suffer silently at home.

* those lead to permanent pain (2/3 of ex-players expierience that, see my link somewhere in this 200+ pages thread :p) after football, b/c serious injuries never have a chance to heal.

I'm with you, not surprised, or only surprised that the writer didn't do his homework. Just Google "Jim Otto". Same story, with worse results. Agree it's the numbing shots and painkillers that are the bigger problem. It's also an organizational and coaching issue as much as a rules one. For example, the concussion Vernon Davis got this year did not result from him getting hit in the head, he wasn't. He didn't hit his head on the ground even. It was essentially a clean hit. But his QB (Kaepernick) left him out to dry and Kam Chancellor nailed him. That's a coaching problem. I also think the NFL needs to find a way to expand rosters without breaking the bank, and coaches need to adapt to that, to make use of more players in rotation. The NFL also needs to find a way to budget a cradle to grave insurance policy for all NFL vets who play X years/downs. But that's another story.

As to arm strength, I'm certain that it was a night game where they showed a speed gun on a long pass by Kaepernick and it was 62mph. I agree with Ron Jawarski on the issue of arm. It's great to have an accurate quarterback, but given the option arm strength is definitely desirable and shouldn't be dismissed. Some QB's get along fine without much of it (Tom Brady), others don't. I distinctly recall Colt Brennan coming out of Hawaii and throwing accurate passes all over the place, but he had one of the weaker arms, and never got far in the league. Tony Pike is another example. But monster arms don't mean everything. Look at JaMarcus Russell, or Jim Druckenmiller. Would love to have seen some numbers on that guy. His "goal line to goal line" throw was BS, but he had one of the strongest arms ever. Too bad he was a head case.

I'm sure arm strength came into play when Harbaugh stuck with Kaepernick over Smith. Alex isn't a noodle arm, but he's not Kaep, and I'm sure Alex will start somewhere else next season. My guess is Arizona. Buffalo is possible.

Personally I'd be happy in the league right now with someone like Russell Wilson. Not the strongest arm, but not the weakest either. Pretty accurate. Sees the field well, runs very well, keeps plays alive with scrambling. But maybe most of all he's just so positive and so dedicated. He's like the anti-JaMarcus. :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
There was an "outsider" opinion when the concussion talk started (have no link, but i remember very well):
Get the helmets off. I know it sounds absurd, but it has some merit. Rubgy players don´t fly head forward into opposing players, simply b/c they´d get paralyzed. They also don´t tackle as hard (see sports science), b/c they have no pads.
In the end the NFL has to find a way, by the simple force of the 4.000 ex-players lawsuits.
I would:
a.) introduce max. weight
b.) get rid of the numbing shots
c.) do more rule changes (heavy penalties for any head contact, tackles at knees, piling on after the whistle had blown; get rid of fumbles thus minimizing brutal piling ons; forbid jumps into the EZ by ball carriers; introduce a strictly 1-man-tackle only rule)
d.) Congress has to step in to stop greedy owners from expanding the RS schedule to 18 games

I know that sounds crazy and much. OTOH Roosevelt stepped in when players died on the field literally. So it´s possible to change the game radically...

After all, what´s your opinions? Who has bigger problems? The NFL with the lawsuits of former players and their heavy missuse of drugs and painkillers, or cycling with its ongoing doping problems?
I myself say that cycling has less problems...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Jim Otto was seriously damaged. I want to buy his book since forever, but always there came something in between.
Another Raider comes to mind who is seriously crippled is Curt Marsh. And then some...
Plus there are the dope victims. Alzado, of course, but also the story of PIT OL Steve Courson comes to mind (http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...IpKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GZQMAAAAIBAJ&pg=5147,2426025) and more...
It´s all known since ages, so why in the world do "journalists" always pretend that they didn´t know and/or are shocked?

Would be interesting to know how Brock is doing nowadays (i might have asked you before, so sorry if i repeated). He suffered trou many head-to-head collisions and his spine had to absorb serious impacts.
OTOH, i´d have also played to the end. It´schizophrenic...

Edit: As Walter Payton was hailed, many of my football friends from USA, and me included, are 100% sure he died early b/c of steroid use. Same with White. There is always a dark side behind the jubilant stories. Lance Armstrongs story isn´t the only one of fallen heroes.

I don't know that I'd agree with all of those rules. As I said before, it's not only the rules that will make the sport safer, it's the way it's played and coached by staff to a good extent.

• Fully agree expanding the RS (or playoffs) is a bad, greed laden idea. It's a terrible idea.
• I do agree on banning numbing drugs, definitely.
•*A maximum weight is an interesting idea, but one I don't see happening.
•*Having referees blow whistles a tad sooner, and penalizing players who don't stop once the whistle is blown is an idea.
•*I still like the idea of expanding rosters.
• I don't see them ever eliminating helmets. Ever. I see them making them somewhat safer.

The fact is, and will always be, that it's a rough sport, no matter what rules they put into place, and there's no doubt the game has many more safety rules than in the past. Boxing and MMA are even rougher with less safety rules. Hockey arguably rougher. Where do you start and stop?

At least cycling is (probably) on it's way to a fairly clean era. We can hope anyway.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
As Benotti, Hog and others would disagree, but i also think that cycling is better off (only that mainstream media doesn´t realize). I trust the numbers (less W/KG, less abnormal blood values). I enjoy it more than ever, b/c since 2008 things improved. I enjoy it while i can, b/c i know one (soon) day gene doping will be so "good", that riders take the risk. Then it´s game over forever...

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
NFL is big business, and whatever sanction/rule stands to make the best return on investment or limit their potential future liability will win the day, month, year, etc. Thankfully the players have some unionized protection.

I was in the NFL 'peloton' for several years and witnessed firsthand the chattel mentality of NFL management towards the players and staff. Disposable, plug-and-play chess pieces. There is also a significant disparity in treatment between minority and majority players, but I'll leave that discussion for another time and place.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Would be interesting to know how Brock is doing nowadays (i might have asked you before, so sorry if i repeated).
From what I could tell, he had all of his mental faculties, but moved a little slow on his knees. He once said he worried about getting hit in the head too much when he'd forget something, like doing a chore his wife asked, but she would often joke with him that he was like that before he played football. :D He honestly did seem grateful that he didn't have any adverse affects to his brain, and his body for the most part was in tact. After knowing him a bit I concluded he was naturally gifted. He just was. We think that about players like wide receivers, but it's the same for linemen. God gave him a huge body that was able to take a pounding. He was a very large man (recall, he was 2-3 inches taller, and 30 pounds heavier than Tony Siragusa), with the biggest hands I have ever seen. Shaking his hand was like a child to an adult, and I'm 5'11". For being in his mid-50's, he also still looked pretty good. A bit overweight, like most guys that size and age, but he still looked very strong. I'm sure in his playing day he was one of the most difficult lineman to move around because of his size, strength, and XXXXXL hands. He was known as a good, durable player, mostly at strong side tackle, but some weak side as well. He played in a few pro bowls, but never made the HOF. He probably never will. He says there are a lot more players that aren't in that deserve it. Fellow tackle Jerry Kramer is the name he often referenced.

I should also note that he seemed to favor all the new rules put into place protecting players. He questioned some of the rules protecting the QB maybe being a bit much, but all the other safety rules he seemed to be in favor of without question.

NFL.com reporting Chip Kellly did an about face and has agreed to leave the Oregon Ducks to coach the Philadelphia Eagles. I have to wonder what Chip's plan with Nick Foles is though. He has to know Nick personally, having coached against him and seeing him in the Pac-12 several times. But Nick is a classic pocket passer. Did Chip like what he seeks in Nick and is going to run an NFL offense with him? Or is he going to try to work with Nick to turn him into a hurry-up QB, Duck style? Or is he going to look to ditch Nick, and find a QB elsewhere? Vick? He is owed $14m next year by the Eagles, and says he won't take a pay cut. But would he if it meant he could play in a Chip Kelly system.

Mike McCoy, DC of Denver has accepted the SD Chargers HC job. The Chargers seem to be happy with him, and despite some of their players getting a little long in the tooth, they are still a talented team.

I still think Bruce Arians is going to end up at Arizona (maybe Seattle OC Darrell Bevell) and Alex Smith will be their QB. We'll see...

Brandon Marshall apparently happy with Marc Trestman being hired as the Bears HC. The team had to hire a player-friendly HC after dumping Lovie Smith. The players would have revolted otherwise.

In NFL news this week, the Falcons seem to think they can run the ball against the 49ers, because they ran well against the Seahawks. But it's as if they forgot that Seattle's best DL, Chris Clemons, was out. They also seem to think they have an advantage with DC Mike Nolan the former coach of the 49ers. But that's wishful thinking as I see it. This isn't Jon Gruden coaching against Bill Callahan.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Great news. Just that: Perfect fit for Vick. I do expect nothing short of magic. :) ... It´s my team for next season (if Vick stays, of what i think will be)
More later...

Oddly enough, despite my dislike for Vick, and thinking (with statistical backing) that he's overrated, I do agree he just might be able to make some magic in a Chip Kelly system. It would certainly be interesting to see. But Vick will also be 33 next season, and is due a lot of cash. The Eagles say they won't pay it, and Vick says he won't take a pay cut. Also, do you allow Nick Foles, who showed decent potential, and is a decade younger than Vick, to leave (when you're paying him little) to keep the aging and expensive Vick?