• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 139 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If the Skins did their homework and checked references, this would be no surprise. But if they did not check some kind of references, especially with the circumstances of his release from the Eagles being rather odd, then yes they should be taken back by this. In any business, no matter how talented an employee is, if that person cannot work with others they won't last. Sooner or later they become expendable. If DeSean has those kinds of issues, the best advice for him would be to work hard and keep the mouth shut.

Johnny Manziel paid a visit to Oakland and the Raiders apparently liked what they saw. It's an interesting visit, because they just spent money on Schaub. If the took Manziel it would turn Schaub into a band aid, with Manziel there to learn, and plan on starting either when the team starts to lose behind Schaub later in the season, or in 2015. Either way, it's a draft pick long on hope and short on logic. Then again, that's been Oakland's history for the last decade, hasn't it? Let's look and see how they did in recent drafts, skipping the last few years where they had no real top picks because they traded them all away to get Carson Palmer and Terrell Pryor.

In 2010 the Raiders took Rolando McClain with the 8th pick, leaving on the board Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre Paul, CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Maurice Pouncey, Dez Briant, Devin McCourty, Dexter McCluster, TJ Ward, Rob Gronkowski all to be scooped up in subsequent picks. Who is McClain? He played LB at Alabama, but outside of a good 2011, he never did much. He was cut after his second season (and a lot of off-field problems) and picked up by the Ravens, who cut him. He’s now out of football, at 23.

2009 - Darius Heyward Bey, WR from Maryland, he’s played well. But the Raiders missed out on Michael Crabtree, BJ Raji, Brian Cushing, Percy Harvin, LeSean McCoy, and Clay Matthews.

2008 - Darren McFadden
4th overall. He’s played well, but often hurt. When the Raiders selected him, they passed on Jerod Mayo, Ryan Clady, Branden Albert, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Joe Flacco, Aquib Talib, and a few more running backs, including not one but two 2000 yard rushers, Ray Rice and Chris Johnson.

2007 - JaMarcus Russell
, biggest bust ever. This was a stacked draft and the Raiders took Russell while still looking at (are you ready?) Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, Darrell Revis, Dwayne Bowe. Many other all-pro players. They were all available to the Raiders.

2006 - Raiders take Michael Huff, S from Texas. He was serviceable, but was eventually cut and now out of the NFL. They miss out on Donte Whitner, another S who would play in a few Pro Bowls. Haloti Ngata, Chad Greenway, Antonio Cromaratie, Roman Harper (another pro bowl S). Some terrific defensive players there. But hey, at least they passed on Matt Leinhart.

2005 - Fabien Washington (who?) with the 23rd overall pick. He plays a few years, ends up on other teams, and is out of the league. the Raiders pass on Aaron Rodgers, Heath Miller, Logan Mankins, Frank Gore, Justin Tuck.

2004 - Raiders have the 2nd overall pick in the draft, and select Robert Gallery, T from Iowa, who had a great combine. 8 of the top 9 drafts, and 15 out of the top 18 end up in future Pro Bowls. Not Gallery, who kicks around the league before being considered a bust. That draft was stacked, and the Raiders could have taken Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow II, Roy Williams, DeAngelo Hall, Ben Roethlisberger, Jonathan Vilma, Vince Wolfork, Steven Jackson, Bob Sanders, Matt Schaub even.

It's kind of frightening to think that the Raiders could have had Aaron Rodgers throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, and handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson. Not to mention the stack of defensive all pro players I listed.

So, having said all that, it makes all the sense in the world the Raiders would draft Manziel. Unless of course Cleveland gets to him first.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Johnny Manziel paid a visit to Oakland and the Raiders apparently liked what they saw. It's an interesting visit, because they just spent money on Schaub. If the took Manziel it would turn Schaub into a band aid, with Manziel there to learn, and plan on starting either when the team starts to lose behind Schaub later in the season, or in 2015. Either way, it's a draft pick long on hope and short on logic. Then again, that's been Oakland's history for the last decade, hasn't it? Let's look and see how they did in recent drafts, skipping the last few years where they had no real top picks because they traded them all away to get Carson Palmer and Terrell Pryor.

In 2010 the Raiders took Rolando McClain with the 8th pick, leaving on the board Earl Thomas, Jason Pierre Paul, CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, Maurice Pouncey, Dez Briant, Devin McCourty, Dexter McCluster, TJ Ward, Rob Gronkowski all to be scooped up in subsequent picks. Who is McClain? He played LB at Alabama, but outside of a good 2011, he never did much. He was cut after his second season (and a lot of off-field problems) and picked up by the Ravens, who cut him. He’s now out of football, at 23.

2009 - Darius Heyward Bey, WR from Maryland, he’s played well. But the Raiders missed out on Michael Crabtree, BJ Raji, Brian Cushing, Percy Harvin, LeSean McCoy, and Clay Matthews.

2008 - Darren McFadden
4th overall. He’s played well, but often hurt. When the Raiders selected him, they passed on Jerod Mayo, Ryan Clady, Branden Albert, Dom Rodgers-Cromartie, Joe Flacco, Aquib Talib, and a few more running backs, including not one but two 2000 yard rushers, Ray Rice and Chris Johnson.

2007 - JaMarcus Russell
, biggest bust ever. This was a stacked draft and the Raiders took Russell while still looking at (are you ready?) Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Marshawn Lynch, Darrell Revis, Dwayne Bowe. Many other all-pro players. They were all available to the Raiders.

2006 - Raiders take Michael Huff, S from Texas. He was serviceable, but was eventually cut and now out of the NFL. They miss out on Donte Whitner, another S who would play in a few Pro Bowls. Haloti Ngata, Chad Greenway, Antonio Cromaratie, Roman Harper (another pro bowl S). Some terrific defensive players there. But hey, at least they passed on Matt Leinhart.

2005 - Fabien Washington (who?) with the 23rd overall pick. He plays a few years, ends up on other teams, and is out of the league. the Raiders pass on Aaron Rodgers, Heath Miller, Logan Mankins, Frank Gore, Justin Tuck.

2004 - Raiders have the 2nd overall pick in the draft, and select Robert Gallery, T from Iowa, who had a great combine. 8 of the top 9 drafts, and 15 out of the top 18 end up in future Pro Bowls. Not Gallery, who kicks around the league before being considered a bust. That draft was stacked, and the Raiders could have taken Larry Fitzgerald, Philip Rivers, Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow II, Roy Williams, DeAngelo Hall, Ben Roethlisberger, Jonathan Vilma, Vince Wolfork, Steven Jackson, Bob Sanders, Matt Schaub even.

It's kind of frightening to think that the Raiders could have had Aaron Rodgers throwing to Larry Fitzgerald, and handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson. Not to mention the stack of defensive all pro players I listed.

So, having said all that, it makes all the sense in the world the Raiders would draft Manziel. Unless of course Cleveland gets to him first.

24892-7172.jpg

This year that's Atlanta, so, Watkins or Mack for the H.O.F

During those terrible draft years (2003-2010) look at the Raiders head coach carrosel:
-Norv Turner (2004–2005)
-Art Shell (2006)
-Lane Kiffin (2007–2008)
-Tom Cable (2008–2010)
-Hue Jackson (2011)
With all of those changes comes constant change in... well, everything. Including player personnel.

New Regime:
-Dennis Allen (and GM Reggie McKenzie, 2012 to present)

Longtime owner Al Davis passed (RIP) in 2011, and Mark Davis takes over. He brings in Allen & McKenzie in 2012, so we'll see what happens from here on out. They may not be as misguided as during the 2004-2011 eras. Since 2012 the Raiders have not drafted skill positions in the top 3 rounds; they have focused on OL and defense (CB, LB). LINK. Given the Raiders history over the past 10 years, I understand why some people will be pessimistic. Heck, I was pessimistic of Seattle when Holmgren was in charge based on his poor draft performance. But a change was made in Seattle, actually a couple of HC changes, but we now know how it eventually ended up. So, it is still too early to give up on the new Raiders organization just yet. Hope should be alive in Raider Nation.

Whatever team ends up drafting Manziel, I don't think we will know if it is a boon or bust in his first year. It may take several years. He's smart enough to learn, but he does not appear to have a strong grasp of the NFL game yet. Can he learn it, yes. Is he there now, no. I base that on comparison of Russell Wilson's Gruden Camp vs Manziel's. When Gruden asked each player questions, Wilson's answers were without hesitation, as though he understood some things. Manziel hesitated as if unsure on answers about an offense he RAN in college, a watered down version of what team's do in the NFL. If he is thrust into a starting role his first year, his coach will have to be patient, allowing him to do the things he can do, then build slowly on that. Shoot, with his skillset, could he be the next Rick Mirer (ROY in his first season, to bust)? I think not, as he seems smarter, knows he has a long ways to go, and is willing to put out effort and learn. SUCCESS, right?

Cleveland has a new regime, so we'll see how this pans out too. Maybe they did not do enough homework on the HC selection. At least that is what some critics are saying.
January 23, 2014: Named Mike Pettine coach.
January 27, 2014: Named Jim O'Neil defensive coordinator.
February 3, 2014: Named Kyle Shanahan offensive coordinator.
February 11, 2014: Announced the resignation of general manager Michael Lombardi. Promoted Ray Farmer to general manager. Announced CEO Joe Banner will step down in the next two months.

I still do not like the Browns trade of Trent Richardson. They are getting mixed reviews on offseason moves. Adding utility OLineman Paul McQuistan is a stop-gap move. His plus is he can literally play anywhere on the OL except center. But is just average talent.

First, the Richardson trade is questionable. I won't call him a bust, but he has been a disappointment. Still, the Browns were paying him rookie wages, so it's not like they were hurting having him develop on the team. Besides, RBs aren't what they used to be. And Richardson came into the league with a reputation as someone who could pick up blitzes and help pass block, in addition to run and catch the ball. So the jury is still out.

Manzeil is open minded, and going to give it his all, but I wouldn't compare him to Russell Wilson. No way. I didn't know much about Wilson in college, one good game against Michigan State (and Kirk Cousins), one mediocre game against Oregon. But he was indeed impressive in the Gruden camp. Even more than Andrew Luck I thought. And Wilson has a reputation among teammates as being a leader on and off the field, and a huge student of the game in the mold of Manning, Brady or Montana.

As to the Raiders, I think McKenzie's moves have been fairly questionable. He lost Jared Veldheer, but did patch-up the OL with Donald Penn, Austin Howard and Kevin Boothe, a lot hinges though on Penn. McKenzie probably overspent on LaMarr Woodley, Justin Tuck, and Maurice Jones-Drew. Possibly on Matt Schaub too. But the contract he signed isn't a deal breaker for the future.

I do think that James Jones, Antonio Smith and Tarell Brown look like solid additions without spending much money.

As I look at the team and read up on the personnel, I still think the Raiders need OL help. Having 5 decent guys is just risky. They need some sort of stud. They also could use a monster defensive lineman (like, Clowney). And another receiver for Schaub to throw to. I personally wouldn't blow a 1st round pick on a QB, though they might find someone they can grab in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

Look for the Raiders to dump Terrell Pryor before the draft for a 4th-6th round pick. Pryor thinks he can start in the league, but I'm not sure he'll get a chance this year. Though a solid back-up year could give him that shot in 2015.

Roger Goodell has talked a bit lately about making the game safer, keeping it cleaner on the field. Even getting rid of things like spiking the ball over the goalpost. That's, uh, super. But I'm reminded of politicians that talk about menial things and seem oblivious to everyone's suffering as they ignore obvious issues.

What am I saying? If Goodell doesn't get aggressive, soon, the NFL is going to end up like the NBA, where we end up hearing more about police reports on players than we do about their play. It's already right on the verge. The NFL survived Michael Vick's dog fighting, Ben Roethlisberger's sexual assault plea out. But the hits just keep coming. Aldon Smith won the idiot of the year award for yelling "bomb" in LAX, then instead of being humble and cooperating, became self-rightous and combative. And the shocker will be if Colin Kaepernick is found guilty of anything after a woman woke up in the hospital saying he was one of three football players (Ricardo Lockette, and Quinton Patton the other two) who may have drugged her, and possibly sexually assaulted her. Kaep is completely denying it, but either way it's bad news, especially as Kaep has a reputation as a quiet Christian good guy (is it too late to apologize to Alex Smith?).

My point is this, if Goodell wants to put his stamp on the league and make it better, he's going to have to push for some sort of idiot suspension, as are the owners and teams. Aldon Smith has to be on the verge of being out of the league with all of his troubles, and stories like the one with Kaep, Lockett and Patton need to be taken a lot more seriously than things like making sure players all wear the same colored socks, or God forbid dunk the football over the goalpost.

I agree on points made regarding Wilson vs Manziel. No way was I trying to equate the two. I'm not that stupid. Hehe.

Warning: If Roger G turns the NFL into a two hand touch league (THTL instead of NFL does not sound well), he will drive fans away. And I will be first to exit. But I don't think he will go that far.

So much for Jim Harbaugh's comment last summer regarding Seattle player PED use that "players must be above reproach". Someone give Jim a towel so he can wipe the egg of his face.

But Aldon Smith saying at LAX that he's got a bomb should make the Darwin Awards list.

Jadeveon Clowney has stated he will no longer do any private workouts before the draft. I'm thinking:

1. The Houston Texans told him they were taking him #1 in the draft, and promised him that. Having Clowney play on the opposite side of JJ Watt, with Cushing and the Texan LB backing them will give the Texans an extremely formidable front 7.

2. The Houston Texans have hinted to Clowney they are not taking him with the 1st pick. This means that St. Louis will take him, as they would love to have him, and Clowney is fine with this choice.

3. He's burnt out on private workouts and heard all he needs to hear from the top teams in the draft. He knows he'll be taken in the top 5, and because of the CBA and the rookie pay cap, knows his general pay and is okay with any of the top teams taking him.

Some talk now that Jax isn't going to take a QB, as they need defensive help and line help (and Gus is a defensive coach), also that Hoyer is rehabbing well and Cleveland will stick with him and not take a QB at #4. This leaves Oakland and Minnesota following up. You get past that and the next team likely to draft a QB is...maybe Cleveland at 26! Wouldn't it be interesting if all the top QB's dropped this far after all the early hype after the Combine? At the very least, the Texans may even think one of the top 4 QB's (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr) will be there early in the 2nd round.

Some good mock drafts here on CBS.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Warning: If Roger G turns the NFL into a two hand touch league (THTL instead of NFL does not sound well), he will drive fans away. And I will be first to exit. But I don't think he will go that far.

What happened? They wanna make the game safer? I am the first to applaud then... :p ;)

Here's a list of the suggestions made in the rules committee.

1. Moving the PAT to the 25 yard line, making it a 43 yard attempt. This is strange, but would make it 83% likely, instead of 99+% likely good. It may encourage more 2 point conversions, and excitement in bad weather games. We'll see this in the pre-season only this year. (I'm okay with this one).

2. Raise the height of the goal posts another few feet. This way kicks going over the top will be no more. I think this passed and will happen this coming season. (I think they need to move the goal posts closer together).

3. Review Updates:

a. Have all replays taken care of at a central location (MLB is doing this). It means no more refs running to the sidelines and looking under the hood. But all plays will not be reviewed. (I'm 100% for this).

b. The Redskins suggested personal fouls be reviewable, and this has been discussed, but not passed. (I'm for it, may take time to work).

c. The Novarro Bowman rule where a ball in play can be reviewed for fumbles. This passed. (I'm for it).

4. Kickoffs - This is really a hot topic. The league wants to move the kickoff to the 40 yard line (like in the 60's!). But this means most kickoffs will be touchbacks. Why not eliminate it? Because it also eliminates the onsides kick. This is going to take some creative thinking. I suggest a few things:

a. Getting rid of kickoffs to start the 2nd half. The home team gets the ball at the 30.

b. Getting rid of the tee (and no holder either). That would eliminate huge booming kicks were guys come at each other at full speed. We'd see a lot of squib kicks and odd plays. It could be exciting, and likely less injuries.

c. Make all players on each team stand at the line of scrimmage (35 kicking team, 45 receiving team), except 2 return men and the kicker. This would prevent big running head starts (except the returners).

d. Move the ball to the 40, but don't allow the kicking team a head start (like above), and only allow the kicker to take 2 steps before kicking the ball.

c. Get rid of kickoffs in the odd quarters (1st and 3rd).

5. Smaller safety plays like "roll up" tackles to the sides of linemen legs to be implemented, as well as the league calling more chop blocks and illegal crack back blocks. The "Gronk" rule was not completely discussed.

6. Get rid of OT in the pre-season, can't recall if it passed. (I don't care either way on this one).

7. Game clock will continue after QB sack, regardless if the yardsticks are in place, except within 2 minutes in each half.

8. Extend allowable players on the practice squad (I am all for this).

9. Penalize players for spiking the ball over the goalpost discussed (WTF?).

10. Penalize players for celebration that causes the ball to go at high speed into the stands, or players potentially hurting fans by launching themselves into the crowd (Lambeau Leap) discussed (WTF?).

More talk about extending the playoffs by two teams. I'm against it, as I think it will lead to more mediocrity, and will lead to even more teams in the playoffs, and then 18 game, and 20 game seasons, etc. etc.

That's all I can recall.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Here's a list of the suggestions made in the rules committe...

That's all I can recall.

I know you recalled way more than I show here. I'm just saving space. But you actually recalled all that? I'm impressed! So, I actually agree with most of the significant rule changes except kickoffs. I do not agree with penalizing players for dunking the ball over the goal posts and such. I mean, what's wrong with a little fun?

KICKOFFS: one thing about onside kicks is generally everyone knows when one is coming, right? There ARE some maverick coaches out there who will do one unexpectedly, but not much in the NFL. In college football last year I heard there was one Midwest school that always did onside kicks. I would suggest getting rid of kickoffs to start the halves, and just spot the ball. After touchdowns or field goals I would give the team that just scored the option to try an onside kick, but if they elect to not try the onside then just spot the ball for the opponent's offense.

You may recall the Superbowl between the New Orleans and Indy had a surprise onside kick by the Saints that helped turn the tide. Colts fans thought the Colts got robbed on that play and actually had possession before the ball was stolen away in the pile by the Saints. But there's no evidence to that, and that's how the game is played (and the right team won, much due to poor play by Manning in the 4th Q).

Meanwhile, due to be arraigned today, it looks like the 49ers are not going to pick up his option on May 3, and let him go (Smith's court hearing is April 27th). It's what Bill Walsh would have done. We'll soon see.

Brian Cushing said that Clowney would make a great addition to the Texans defense, this cements the thought to me that they will take him with the #1 pick.

Lots of teams impressed by Derek Carr's pro day, as he'd been sick the day before, but threw very well. Talk he's done very well in private workouts and showed poise his older brother lacked. Enough to leap over Bridgewater and Manzeil? Don't know about that one.

If I were a team looking for a future QB in this draft (like, the Raiders), I'd look to pick up AJ McCarron if he falls to the 3rd round, or further. After a Pro Day when not many seemed to watch (all eyes on Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater, some on Carr, ) he was given an A+ rating by those who saw him. He's also smart and used to winning. He did have a bad bowl game, but overall played like a pro and has decent size and a pro mindset. He needs work on his mechanics to get his arm strength up, and a lot to learn, but I'd take a chance on him and see what he can bring me maybe not in 2014, but 2105 and beyond.

Alpe d'Huez said:
You may recall the Superbowl between the New Orleans and Indy had a surprise onside kick by the Saints that helped turn the tide. ...

Meanwhile, due to be arraigned today, it looks like the 49ers are not going to pick up his option on May 3, and let him go (Smith's court hearing is April 27th). It's what Bill Walsh would have done. We'll soon see.

If I were a team looking for a future QB in this draft (like, the Raiders), I'd look to pick up AJ McCarron if he falls to the 3rd round, or further. After a Pro Day when not many seemed to watch (all eyes on Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater, some on Carr, ) he was given an A+ rating by those who saw him. He's also smart and used to winning. He did have a bad bowl game, but overall played like a pro and has decent size and a pro mindset. He needs work on his mechanics to get his arm strength up, and a lot to learn, but I'd take a chance on him and see what he can bring me maybe not in 2014, but 2105 and beyond.

Yes, I recall that. My suggestion would take that element away. But I think if the kickoff spot was moved so all kicks are likely to be out of end zone then means when the kick team lines up with more hands-guys and a few smashers, you know what's coming anyway. Either way, it takes away the element of surprise. But onside attempts would still have to be executed, by both teams, and so that in itself is an element of excitement, though not surprise.

If this website is correct (SPORTRAC FREE AGENT TOOL), then Aldon Smith is a free agent in 2015 anyway. He could get a year in jail, so why not cut him now? SF is a little lean on cap space (~$10M, LINK), and cutting Smith would get rid of ~$4.5M. BTW, the tool seems to work... pretty cool.

Lots of teams may take that approach in the draft... get the sure fire first rounder that's not a QB in round one. Take some decent QB in rounds 2 or 3, like AJM.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
What is Roller Derby? Is it like Rollerball from the movie?
Anyway, yeah I would like the NFL become a THTBWNFL... :D

A little like rollerball, but no ball, no motorcycles, no speed, no men. Well, there use to be a men's league. Not sure about now. I just hear about girls leagues. Even local amateur women's leagues. It is a contact sport, not a collision sport.

What THTBWNFL stand for?

FoxxyBrown1111 said:

In me best Aussie, Noice!

Another Krebs production.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I know you recalled way more than I show here. I'm just saving space. But you actually recalled all that? I'm impressed! So, I actually agree with most of the significant rule changes except kickoffs. I do not agree with penalizing players for dunking the ball over the goal posts and such. I mean, what's wrong with a little fun?

KICKOFFS: one thing about onside kicks is generally everyone knows when one is coming, right? There ARE some maverick coaches out there who will do one unexpectedly, but not much in the NFL. In college football last year I heard there was one Midwest school that always did onside kicks. I would suggest getting rid of kickoffs to start the halves, and just spot the ball. After touchdowns or field goals I would give the team that just scored the option to try an onside kick, but if they elect to not try the onside then just spot the ball for the opponent's offense.

But then we'd miss the Broncos getting Harvin'd!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
A little like rollerball, but no ball, no motorcycles, no speed, no men. Well, there use to be a men's league. Not sure about now. I just hear about girls leagues. Even local amateur women's leagues. It is a contact sport, not a collision sport.

Sounds boring... I mean not even a ball.

on3m@n@rmy said:
What THTBWNFL stand for?

Two-hands-tackle-below-waist-National-Football-League... Sounds great, no more cheap shots by brute but less talented defense rednecks. :D

on3m@n@rmy said:
In me best Aussie, Noice!

Another Krebs production.

Great summary that says it all, isn´t it? If we had it here before, we all could have saved much time discussing. ;)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Sounds boring... I mean not even a ball.
Very boring.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Two-hands-tackle-below-waist-National-Football-League... Sounds great, no more cheap shots by brute but less talented defense rednecks. :D
Now how does one tackle below waist only using two hands? Shoe-string tackles maybe?

Also Boring.

"Defense rednecks" sounds familiar... I resemble that. :cool:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Great summary that says it all, isn´t it? If we had it here before, we all could have saved much time discussing. ;)
Props to Krebs!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Very boring.

Now how does one tackle below waist only using two hands? Shoe-string tackles maybe?

Also Boring.

"Defense rednecks" sounds familiar... I resemble that. :cool:

Props to Krebs!

I meant no head first missle attacks at knees like from this CLE S who destroyed Gronk. A proper tackle should always be allowed, and it isn´t dangerous to both players.
I love to tease with you D-guys. You know it heals my wounds after yet another defense championship I had to suffer trou. :p
Anyway, don´t take it too serious. You know that I know that there are many great D players around. OLers are no better humans...

This draft coming up in 10 days is going to be interesting. It could be a real crap shoot where a lot of moves could happen depending on how the first few teams pick. By moves, I mean teams trading up or down, and teams having to adjust depending on those initial picks.

For starters, there is not one clear cut player for the #1 overall pick that does not have some issues. WR Sammy Watkins, OLB Khalil Mack, or maybe OT Greg Robinson do not have issues, but with all of the needs for a QB, and with all the talent Jadaveon Clowney possesses, I have not seen much attention being given to Watkins, Mack, or some other talented LOT like Robinson for #1overall. So what are the issues for some of the players who have the best shot at being taken #1 overall?

- Clowney: did not have a great junior year compared to last year, got manhandled at times or was not a factor, appeared to take plays off that has caused some reason for concern, and even played lazy with slow motor at times. Is that the kind of player a team is going to want to draft #1 overall? That is the rub with Clowney. Teams will have to reconcile talent vs determination and how much they are willing to risk. So what that means for Houston is they may trade out of #1 and take another player and pick up extra picks. If they did that they could still land a good QB.

- Bortles: He's my #1 QB in this draft. Some experts, like Mike Mayock, who's opinions I respect, have Manziel over Bortles. The rub on Bortles is he did not play in the most competitive league. But he has the athletic talent and looked good on film.

- Johnny F: I think his stock has risen a bit since Gruden's Camp, mostly to alleviate fears about questionable work ethic or not being a team player. I think he is smart enough, but he is going to need every bit of that when he goes to work because he did not utilize all his reads in the college passing game and kind of let his legs run free. No questioning his creativity, but he will have to tone that down and learn to restrain temptations to run when he can toss the check down. So from that standpoint I think he is less refined and less disciplined than Bortles and needs more work out of the gate. But all the QBS, especially in this crop compared to others, need work. So are any of the QBs worth a #1 overall?... That is the question teams get to struggle with.

- Bridgewater: To me, he has become an enigma based on that pro day where accuracy went out the window. I do not see him having a legit shot at #1 overall, but some team may not see it that way.

All these negatives leave me wondering: Will Houston trade down? Will the Rams trade down? Atlanta has expressed interest in moving up, to either #1 or #2 overall saying they like Clowney, and they have a need at DE. I always get suspicious when teams name players they are interested in. Will the Browns, who have a lot of picks, move up? But the Browns have so many needs I don't think they can afford to give picks away just to move up a couple slots when they can get someone good where they are at. Heck, they may even trade down.

All that to say I have not filled out my top 10 predicted picks yet. Just glad I'm not a GM for some teams this year.

Here are some thoughts:

Jadeveon Clowney - I think playing for the Texans he could shine and fit in well. Why? Because he would not be the focus of all the attention. Playing across from Watt he would get a lot of opportunities, and few double teams. Some people say he's a follower, and eager to please, and when not given instruction or attention gets lazy. That shouldn't happen on Houston. The team has a sold veteran defense. He would be pushed and nurtured. If he goes to Atlanta, Jax or St. Louis, not quite so much. Atlanta is the worst fit I think.

Robinson & Mack look like solid players. There are a lot of teams with high picks that could use either.

As to the WR's, I've always been iffy on drafting WR's unless you know they are really special (Megatron). Why? Because it's a position that requires teaching into a system, but is less complicated to learn than QB. Hence, you're likely to get someone decent in most any draft, but it's up to you to teach them, and up to them to be motivated. So my gut tells me if the Raiders don't find the bust of the draft, they'll take Watkins, and he'll end up a serviceable player, but no star.

As to the QB's, it looks like if Bortles isn't taken by Houston, then Manziel will be the top QB taken, probably by Jax, though they are on the fence, saying they have a lot of other needs than just QB. He could fall all the way to Minnesota. Though I think the Vikings would be more apt to pick Bortles, looking at their system. I don't see Cleveland or Oakland taking a QB with their first pick. But I question whether the Browns should take a QB with their 2nd pick. One of the top 4 QB's will drop to at least Cleveland, and to the 2nd round. I think Bridgewater and Carr may drop that far. Can the Texans or Raiders get one of them there? I think so (but the Texans will not draft Carr, simply because of his name). It's surprising how far Bridgewater has dropped, when late in the season he was the consensus #1 pick and a sure pro prospect. But skipping the Combine and an average Pro day of all things hurt him. AJ McCarron is also somewhat moving up. Could be an intriguing pick, and do well down the line on the right team. There's talk that Jimmy Garoppolo is moving up the draft. A small school kid with a pile of stats. Hmmm, could be the next Giovanni Carmazzi. Also talk the Patriots are interested in Tom Savage of Pitt.

Mosley, Clinton-Dix, Gilbert and Barr are four more solid defensive players. Though again, the draft is anything but a certainty. It's often a crap shoot. You're rolling the dice.

I hope texans don't announce earlier who their pick is so its suspense until the moment.

I think they take Clowney. They gamble that one of the four big names falls to 20's when they can trade up. Or they take Bridgewater.

If not, Jacksonville takes Bridgewater. I think he's first qb off the board though. Texans will regret it for years, though Clowney with Watt will still be good.

Manziel goes to Browns or or he falls to late first.

TRENDING THREADS