• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe d'Huez said:
True or False?

1. After starting 6-1, the Cowboys will miss the playoffs (they are currently 8-4).

2. JJ Watt will be the first defensive player since Lawrence Taylor to win MVP.

3. Johnny Manziel will QB Cleveland the rest of the season.

4. RG3 will never take another snap for Washington.

5. Ray Rice will play again this season.

7. Cincinnati will take the AFC North, and again lose, at home, in their first playoff game.

8. Seattle will overtake Arizona to win the NFC West (Seahawks play @PHI, SF, @ARI, STL; Arizona plays KC, @STL, SEA, @SF).

9. New England will run the table to take HFA (@SD, MIA, @NYJ, BUF). (Denver plays BUF, @SD, @CIN, OAK).

10. More than seven coaches will be canned on Black Monday (five were last season, 7 the year before). Top contenders currently include: Rex Ryan, Mark Trestman, Tom Coughlin, Ron Rivera, Ken Wisenhunt, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jay Gruden. Plus Tony Sporano by default.

1. False - I predict the cowboys will storm home, secure a playoff berth and then will get romo'd in the first round of the playoffs.

Jerry Jones will call the season a moral victory and on the back of that raise prices for everything at Cowboyland.

2. True - the amount of media coverage he's getting he could run in the primaries.
3. False - I think he'll get to start a game, but the slightest mistake or cocaine binge photoshoot and they'll swap again. I don't get the rush for him to be thrown in at starter, Steve Young had a few seasons with the clipboard, didn't do him any harm.

4. False - I can see some sort of calamity happening at Washington between now and the end of the year which sees RGIII jump in behind centre for a couple of snaps.

5. True - Money > Morals - one team will need a running back with proven hitting power.
6. Pick 6!!
7. True - Dalton will throw a pick to finish their season.
8. True - Seattle are warming up, Arizona have used up a season's worth of luck already and will finally succumb to their injuries
9. True - Will beat Denver 35-0 in the championship game.
10. False - Some will be gone before then.

Alpe d'Huez said:
True or False?

1. After starting 6-1, the Cowboys will miss the playoffs (they are currently 8-4).

6. No team in the NFC South will win 8 games.

7. Cincinnati will take the AFC North, and again lose, at home, in their first playoff game.

8. Seattle will overtake Arizona to win the NFC West (Seahawks play @PHI, SF, @ARI, STL; Arizona plays KC, @STL, SEA, @SF).

9. New England will run the table to take HFA (@SD, MIA, @NYJ, BUF). (Denver plays BUF, @SD, @CIN, OAK).

10. More than seven coaches will be canned on Black Monday (five were last season, 7 the year before). Top contenders currently include: Rex Ryan, Mark Trestman, Tom Coughlin, Ron Rivera, Ken Wisenhunt, Jim Harbaugh, Mike Smith, Marvin Lewis, Jay Gruden. Plus Tony Sporano by default.

1) True. Romo will find a way to do it. He always has.
2) True. He does everything on both sides of the ball (except for snapping quarterbacks legs)
3) True. The Clevelands need something to look forward to. They're not making the playoffs this year, and who is going to hang their hat on Hoyer?
4) True. RG3 has snapped pretty much every bone and/or ligament in his body. Nothing more to see here.
5) False. He will play again, but not this year. Too soon.
6) False. I'm counting exhibition games.
7) True.
8) True. Never break the cardinal rule in football. Don't bet on the Cardinals.
9) False. They will lose to the Bills, because the Bills are my favourite team in all of sports and the Bills will not be beaten. Period.
10) Abstain. I really hope Trestman hangs on because he comes from the CFL.

Cant see Watt winning MVP even though I want him to. They give it to a qb and Rodgers is playing well enough to take it.

Cant see Denver taking HFA from New England. New England have the tie breaker and the easier schedule. Denver have to essentially win all their games, including 2 away games against 2 of the best teams in the NFL, and hope New England fall to an upset.

I think its unfair on Denver though since 3 years in a row theyve had to go to New England. With the rules in place that essentially gives New England a 1 game headstart over Denver every single year seeing as both are so dominant at home.

That is ridiculous. At least one of these years Denver should have been given HFA for the match.

For Elimination Football® this week:

Two teams playing each other:

Kansas City - just making up the numbers.

Arizona - they've used up all their luck for the year.

To add to my list:

NYG / Washington / NYJ / Dallas /Jacksonville / Minnesota / St Louis / Oakland / Miami / Tampa Bay / Atlanta / Pittsburgh / Cleveland / Cincinnati / Carolina / Indianapolis / Tennessee / Chicago / Houston / Detroit / Buffalo / San Francisco / New Orleans / Philadelphia

For Reverse Survival Football™ (Loser Bowl):

Bills

I think the regular season bullies will beat up on the Bills at home at Mile High.

My current score: 2

Previous highest score: 8

Teams used: Titans*, Chargers*, Washington, Jacksonville, Jets(0), Raiders, 49ers, Rams, Buccaneers, Bears, Texans*, Lions, Panthers

First things first:
:D
Elimination Football.
Torebear - Oak, Jax, Tenn, KC, Hou, TB, Stl, Wash, NYJ, Min, Cle, Chi, Atl, NYG, Car, SF, Cin, SD, BUF, SEA, NO, MIA New picks: IND, PIT

For Survival Football™.
Torebear - NY Giants, Chicago*, Pitt*, Tenn, Ari, Dal*, NYJ, SD, Stl*, SF*, Cin*, JAX, WAS New pick: BUF

Alpe d'Huez said:
True or False?

1. True. They will miss the Playoffs.
2. True. Yes Watt will be the MVP.
3. False. As of this moment. JM is not starting so no.
4. False. I think RG3 will take another snap for Washington.
5. False. Ray Rice is not good enough for a team this year.
6. True. No team in the NFC south will have 8 wins.
7. False. If Cinci wins the AFC north, they will win their first playoff game.
8. False. Arizona will win the NFC west.
9. False. I think the AFC will go through Denver.
10.False. I'll take the under on that one. I don't see so many being canned.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
As much as it pains me, I think the Bears are just too poor this season

DAL @ CHI

Elimination Football:

Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers, Bengals, Saints, Seattle!, Iggles, Colts, Lions, Steelers, KC

That leaves me with - Ravens, Cards, Packers, Pats. edit - Broncos and Bills (God knows how I missed ditching them).

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, JAX, BUF, DET, WSH, ATL

PIT @ CIN - Benglas to sneak it.
STL @ WSH - the horror, all those draft picks we gave them coming to beat up on us.
NYG @ TEN - Giants may squeak it, but I won't pick them.
CAR @ NO - Saints cannot lose this, shirley?
NYJ @ MIN - Home edge.
BAL @ MIA - On a knife's edge, I'll stick with the Ravens.
IND @ CLE - Colts on a roll.
TB @ DET - Home banker.
HOU @ JAX - Texans should be good enough.
BUF @ DEN - Peyton at home, pfft.
KC @ ARI - Cards should take this at home.
SEA @ PHI - Game of the round. Iggles to keep perfect home record.
SF @ OAK - Must be an away banker.
NE @ SD - The Bolts always fcuk me up.
ATL @ GB - Home banker of the round.

Elimination Football®.

NYG, Cle, Jax, StL, TB, Mia, NYJ, Min, Ten, Buf, Chi, Wash, Atl, Hou, Car, Cin, SD, SF, Balt, Oak, Sea, NO. This week: Kansas City, Detroit.

Survival Football™.

Indy, KC, Minn, Tenn, NYJ, Dal*, NYG, Wash*, St.L, Chi, Cin*, Det, Phi*. This week: Buffalo.

Tonight's Game:DAL@CHI

My Elimination may be screwed up, I'm going to have to go back and evaluate.

Alpe d'Huez said:
True or False?

1. False. I'm still sticking with what I said after week 7 (although the probability of Dallas making the playoffs has gone down since then). Dallas will make the playoffs and simply lose to a better team (so by the second round at the latest).

2. FALSE. I'll go with the traditional bias towards QBs. At the moment, the favourite is Rogers. Otherwise, if Murray gets to 2,000 yards and the Cowboys make the playoffs, he could be in with a shout. That's a long shot, even from my point of view (although last night's game made those two events more likely).

3. FALSE.

4. TRUE. He'll be traded.

5. TRUE. He's back in the squad and the Ravens need everyone they have at this stage.

6. SO TRUE it's been deleted.

7. That Cincinnati will win the division seems very likely. They won't get one of the first two seeds and are quite likely to lose to any of their possible rivals, so TRUE.

8. TRUE (as I previously agreed).

9. TRUE. Another Brady-Manning match-up in the AFC championship with the same result.

10. FALSE. Just guessing (as in most of the above)

I don't see any way that Rice ends up back with the Ravens this season. They already have Forsett who is doing as good if not better than Rice did.

I was wrong on Manziel. It looks like Hoyer still gets the call.

Nice win for Cowboys last night. They are currently the #5 seed, though only by a half-game right now. I'm sure they are thinking they need to get to 11 wins, or win the division to make it.

I saw a stat on Aaron Rodgers that was sick. In the last 24 months, in Lambeau he has thrown 30 TDs, and 0 interceptions. His passer rating was off the chart. And he sure looks like the MVP right now. Watt can have DPOY.

My gut tells me either New England or Denver will lose before the AFC Championship game, maybe both. I can't pinpoint why, I just feel that way right now. I think one or the other will run out of gas, have one too many injuries, or have some bounces go against them, and a team like Miami, SD or Baltimore will upset them. We'll see...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't see any way that Rice ends up back with the Ravens this season. They already have Forsett who is doing as good if not better than Rice did.

I was wrong on Manziel. It looks like Hoyer still gets the call.

Nice win for Cowboys last night. They are currently the #5 seed, though only by a half-game right now. I'm sure they are thinking they need to get to 11 wins, or win the division to make it.

I saw a stat on Aaron Rodgers that was sick. In the last 24 months, in Lambeau he has thrown 30 TDs, and 0 interceptions. His passer rating was off the chart. And he sure looks like the MVP right now. Watt can have DPOY.

My gut tells me either New England or Denver will lose before the AFC Championship game, maybe both. I can't pinpoint why, I just feel that way right now. I think one or the other will run out of gas, have one too many injuries, or have some bounces go against them, and a team like Miami, SD or Baltimore will upset them. We'll see...

Denver looks pretty solid although it only takes a defense that aggressively disrupts their rhythm to beat them. San Diego seems adaptable with a more mobile QB than either NE or Den. GB still looks like the best team in the NFC statistically and strategically. I think the Cowboys were lucky Chicago's execution was so poor until the last quarter...they are thinner than they appear except at the receiver position. Don't think they'll make it past first playoff round at best.

Some good games, and some crummy games for Sunday.

PIT@CIN - Cincy good enough at home to winhere.
STL@WAS - Crummy game of the week.
NYG@TEN - Even more crummy game of the week.
CAR@NO - Almost as bad.
NYJ@MIN - Jets can't clean house quick enough.
BAL@MIA - Intriguing match-up.
IND@CLE - Browns loss cements season, Hoyer's last game as starter.
TB@DET - Lions defense way too solid.
HOU@JAX - Now that Clowney is done for the season.
BUF@DEN - Buffalo not bad, but won't win in Den.
KC@ARI - Chiefs awful last two weeks. Arizona still has hope.
SEA@PHI - Seahawk defense too much for Sanchez.
SF@OAK - Raiders rebuild just what 49ers need.
NE@SD - Almost went with Chargers, but don't trust their D.
ATL@GB - Battle of two first place teams! Ha!

I think this is the most away teams I've picked all season.

What just might be more interesting than most of these games is if there are any upsets on Saturday in college, and the following announcement of the first ever final four of NCAA football.

Alpe d'Huez said:
True or False?

Here are the records of active 2014 NFL Head Coaches (bold are the top 10 contenders you named):

TEAM....HEAD COACH.....HIRE......W…..L…....PCT
OAK......Tony Sparano......2014.......1......6......0.143
BUX......Lovie Smith…......2014.......2.......9......0.182
TEN......Whisenhunt........2014.......2.......9......0.182
JAX......Gus Bradley..........2013.......5.....22......0.185
WAS.....Jay Gruden.........2014.......3…....8......0.273
MIN......Mike Zimmer........2014.......4…....7......0.364
BUF......Doug Marrone......2013.....11....15......0.423
STL......Jeff Fisher............2012......18.....24......0.430
HOU.....Bill O'Brien.........2014........5.......6......0.455
CHI......Trestman............2013......13......14......0.481

CAR......Ron Rivera.........2011......28......30......0.483
MIA......Joe Philbin..........2012......21......22......0.488 (renewed life, for now)
NYJ......Rex Ryan............2009......44......46......0.489
CIN.......Marvin Lewis.....2003......97......88......0.524
NYG....Tom Coughlin.....2004.....93......78......0.544
DAL.....Jason Garrett......2010.....37......30......0.552 (really renewed life)
SD.......Mike McCoy.......2013......16......11......0.593 (2014 start was hot. Injury issues now?)
ATL......Mike Smith........2008......64......43......0.598
SEA......Pete Carroll.......2010......45......30......0.600
PIT......Mike Tomlin.......2007......77......45......0.631
NO......Sean Payton.......2006......78......45......0.634
CLE......Mike Pettine......2014........7........4......0.636
DET......Jim Caldwell......2014........7........4......0.636
BAL.....John Harbaugh....2008......68......39......0.636
GB.......Mike McCarthy...2006......90......48......0.651
KC.......Andy Reid...........2013......18........9......0.667
PHI......Chip Kelly...........2013......18........9......0.667
IND......Chuck Pagano....2012......29......14......0.674
ARI......Bruce Arians.......2013......19….....8......0.704
DEN.....John Fox............2011.......42......17......0.712
NE…....Bill Belichick.......2000......171.....63......0.731
SF.......Jim Harbaugh….2011.......43......15......0.737

With exception of Fisher, the HCs with the 10 worst winning percentages are first or 2nd year HCs with that team. Should they therefore get more time?
Sparano - well no HC is going to get a long shot there, given history
Wisenhunt - I can see that
Trestman - I get that also, given this year's backslide

But Gruden - I don't get that one being a major contender yet. I mean give the guy a chance. Most of what he's got talent wise was messed up by the previous regime and the trade for the rights to draft RGIII. AND as talented as RG was coming out, I said back then he was a project because he, a bit like Manziel, relied too much on talent in college and did not need to develop pro quality skills in college.

Then if you put Gruden on the hot seat, you almost have to put Gus Bradley there too based on record. I would not put Bradley on the bubble yet though because he's still building his talent base, and moves he's made seem pretty sound. For now.

Rivera - too much backslide and talent loss there for his own good. Especially for a team that was on the cusp of being a good playoff team. I heard one analyst today say that with the loss of WR talent, that Cam has been using his legs more (like Wilson or Kaep) but in the process this has messed up his footwork in the pocket. So who would you blame for that if he was asked to use his legs more (e.g. in game plan)? The HC, or Cam? I would put that more on Cam.

Ryan, Lewis, Coughlin, and Smith - those on the bubble goes without saying. Coughlin will likely be given slack through the end of the season with his record overall.

Not just Ryan though in NYJ land. There is talk that GM Idzik is also on the bubble. What makes it triple worse for Ryan and Idz is how well Marc Sanchez is doing at QB in Philly!!! That just has to frost the Jets owner.

HEAD SCRATCHER - You said it earlier... any team making plans to fire their HC better have a plan or good idea who they want to hire afterwards, or it can just get worse. Look who's got the best winning percentage as a career HC. The guy in SF that reportedly may be gone after the season ends. I agree, that if SF fires Harbaugh, and I was OAK, I'd make a big push to get him. He will be a highly sought after HC if let go by SF.

Sometimes when working relationships are not good, it's best if the GM or owner just backs off, realize what they've got in a HC, and put up with it as long as the HC keeps winning. NOT LIKE Jerry Jones and Jimmy Johnson did. Fools stir up trouble, wise people bring calm.

Great post there On3@rmy.
on3m@n@rmy said:
But Gruden - I don't get that one being a major contender yet. I mean give the guy a chance.
Two reasons he may be on the hot seat: 1) Impatient, megalomaniac owner. 2) Gruden was brought in as much as any other reason as the guy who could work with and develop RG3.

Not just Ryan though in NYJ land. There is talk that GM Idzik is also on the bubble.
Idzik might, maybe get a pass. Here's why: Rex was not his guy. He had ideas of bringing in his own coaches. Instead, after the Jets kept making late season runs, they kept Rex, and even gave him an extension. But Idzik also got rid of Cromaratie, Holmes, Sanchez, and failed to sign Revis, leaving the team a mess.
...if SF fires Harbaugh, and I was OAK, I'd make a big push to get him. He will be a highly sought after HC if let go by SF.
Like, new job with big pay the same day he's fired, announced the next day. Yet, everything I can dig up from all the rumors says he's lost the team enough and the York's don't like him and he'll be fired as soon as the season ends. Maybe they will hire Norv Turner to replace him?
Sometimes when working relationships are not good, it's best if the GM or owner just backs off, realize what they've got in a HC, and put up with it as long as the HC keeps winning.
Some teams do that even if the coach doesn't win, or is just average much of the time, because that can often lead to winning. It's really just to make damned sure you've hired the right guy in the first place. I've said it before, the Steelers have just 3 head coaches over the last 45 years. An owner like Dan Snyder may look at that and see those coaches "failed" to win the Superbowl in 39 of those seasons. But the it would take years of dismal performance for the Rooney family to even consider firing Mike Tomlin.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Great post there On3@rmy.

Two reasons he may be on the hot seat: 1) Impatient, megalomaniac owner. 2) Gruden was brought in as much as any other reason as the guy who could work with and develop RG3.

This. Nail on head, Alpe.

My English team, West Ham United, had only five managers between 1902-1989. In that time they never won the highest division title, but did win three FA Cups and the Europa Cup 2 (cup winners cup). We're now on only the 14th manager in 112 years, by far the lowest number of any top level team. Once you have decided on 'your man', you need to give him time.

For survival ill take Tampa Bay

For elimination So long Arizona and Cowboys.
AFC East
New England
NYJ
Miami
Buffalo

AFC North
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Cleveland
Baltimore

AFC South
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Houston

AFC West
Denver
Kansas City
San Diego
Oakland

NFC East
Philadelphia

Dallas
NY Giants
Washington

NFC North

Green Bay
Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota

NFC South
New Orleans
Carolina
Atlanta
Tampa Bay

NFC West

Arizona
Seattle
San Francisco
St. Louis

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Go Raiders! Woohoo!

Got to admit, Hawks looked very impressive dismantling the Eagles high powered offense.

They beat up the Eagles defense pretty well, too.
The Chargers got off track and Brady took advantage of it...they looked to have a chance for three quarters. Didn't see any other games.

Amsterhammer - You should have six teams left in Elimination. After this week you'll have four. The following week (and week after) you eliminate only 1 team, until you have only two teams left. Make sense?

Nobody eliminated New England yet, right?!

The surprising thing is that the Pats were missing several starters or solid contributors, mostly on defense, sitting out due to injury. Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Chris White, Cameron Fleming, Alfonzo Dennard, and James White all sat the game out. Yet, the Pats defense still looked impressively solid.

Is Chewy still a Panthers fan? What a game against the Saints. Where was this Panther team all year? Granted, Cam's been playing hurt, but between this, and the game against the Bengals, this was the Carolina team we expected to see. Meanwhile, Rob Ryan has taken a sketchy Saints defense into the toilet. Even the fight couldn't seem to inspire them to play better.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
They beat up the Eagles defense pretty well, too.
The Chargers got off track and Brady took advantage of it...they looked to have a chance for three quarters. Didn't see any other games.

Also there was lots of big plays that involved officials. Some of those calls going the other way would have had New England up by another touchdown...or two. Overall good game.
The Saints need a drug test from the owner to the water boy. They are not mentally in the game at kick off and the fights and dozens of mistakes throughout the game make me really wonder. The NFC South is a total mess.

TRENDING THREADS