• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 177 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I dunno why you've got six teams left, Hitch. I've only got four.

Apologies, some sad old guys can't count to six, apparently.

Thanks for pointing it out, Alpe. I have added the two missing teams to my last pick post.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Also there was lots of big plays that involved officials. Some of those calls going the other way would have had New England up by another touchdown...or two. Overall good game.
The Saints need a drug test from the owner to the water boy. They are not mentally in the game at kick off and the fights and dozens of mistakes throughout the game make me really wonder. The NFC South is a total mess.

Cam Newton doing the Superman with his record is a treat as well. Weird things can happen in the playoffs, though. Can you see one of those teams winning a SB?

No. But I can see them winning a game, maybe 2. Both New Orleans and Carolina are dangerous at times. I'd even say that with Atlanta. Imagine them getting a home game against Dallas, or a struggling Arizona, playing mistake free, having a few balls bounce their way... I can definitely see that, can't you? Going to Green Bay or Seattle and winning? Highly unlikely.

I can't see how Manziel doesn't start next week for the Browns. I guess NFL films, or someone else, caught him saying, after Hoyer overthrew a wide open receiver "I would have made that throw."

Some very good news for Chiefs DB Eric Berry in that he has a very treatable type of Hodgkin lymphoma, which is less severe than initially feared.

With the 49ers off to Seattle next week, these are hilarious:

B3gtoOaCcAEMPWW.jpg

B3gMB_fCcAAEahK.jpg

Alpe d'Huez said:
Both New Orleans and Carolina are dangerous at times. I'd even say that with Atlanta. Imagine them getting a home game against Dallas, or a struggling Arizona, playing mistake free, having a few balls bounce their way... I can definitely see that, can't you? Going to Green Bay or Seattle and winning? Highly unlikely.
Scratch that. It could happen. It almost happened last night. Granted, the Packers were the superior team, but if there had been a few bounced balls the Falcons direction, they could have stole that game.

In fact, this is how the Giants won not 1, but 2 Super Bowls. They were mediocre all season, played well enough in the playoffs, got the match-up's that suited them, and had a few balls bounce their way. So yes, I can see Atlanta winning the Super Bowl. Not likely, but it's possible.

I also want to nominate Russell Wilson for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award. He's also carrying his team, for those who haven't noticed.

Alpe d'Huez said:
. Where was this Panther team all year?

Just waiting for me to pick them in Survival, where did you think? Boy, have I developed a talent for picking teams that by all measures should lose, and don't.

So who do I pick to lose this week? Definitely SF. Even my kiss of life can't save this team. I honestly think they will lose by something like 41-0 to SE, and will lose their remaining two games to finish 7-9. It has little to do with talent now, something is deeply wrong with this team, the players may deny it, but they aren't giving 100%. It really annoys me when teams stop trying, and you can't tell me when a team with this much talent loses to the Raiders that they were trying.

I'm sure Harbaugh will be highly sought by teams looking for a new HC, but they ought to ask themselves, if he couldn't apparently get along with 49er management, will he get along any better somewhere else? And doesn't he bear some responsibility for the way the team has collapsed?

And not to belittle the way he turned SF around, and before that Stanford, but he had a lot of talent to work with when he took over the job in SF. Singletary, his predecessor, might not have been a good HC, but he did draft some excellent defensive talent, which Harbaugh knew how to put to best use. A team like the Raiders could be a very different challenge.

And assuming Harbaugh goes, what happens to Kaepernick? Already, he seems to be going the way of RGIII, unable to read progressions, unable to adapt as a pocket passer. Derek Carr, playing against a much better defense, completely outshone him. Harbaugh has been his main believer, if not for him, Kaepernick would probably have been drafted much lower, very likely he wouldn't have become a starter so soon. If a new coach takes over at SF, Kaepernick might fall out of favor quickly.

Elimination. The following teams are left: NE, DEN, SD, GB, PHI, DAL.

Well, this is pretty easy. Have to eliminate SD, leaving NE and DEN. Have to leave GB, it's between PHI and DAL, I'll eliminate DAL. But the NFC East will probably be settled by DAL at PHI, and while the Eagles won in Texas, keep in mind the Cowboys are undefeated on the road this year, the only team in the NFL to do that.

I wish, of course, I hadn't eliminated SE, the way their defense is playing, I would favor them over anyone, including NE. Let's not forget that when they played GB in the season opener, Rodgers, the hottest QB in the NFL now, whom many are anointing as better than Brady or Manning, didn't even throw to one half of the field. A lot has happened since then, but I think it's mostly just a matter of good games and bad games, not a sustained change. At their best, SE looks to me to be better than GB at its best.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Scratch that. It could happen. It almost happened last night. Granted, the Packers were the superior team, but if there had been a few bounced balls the Falcons direction, they could have stole that game.

In fact, this is how the Giants won not 1, but 2 Super Bowls. They were mediocre all season, played well enough in the playoffs, got the match-up's that suited them, and had a few balls bounce their way. So yes, I can see Atlanta winning the Super Bowl. Not likely, but it's possible.

I also want to nominate Russell Wilson for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award. He's also carrying his team, for those who haven't noticed.

While I've enjoyed watching the team progress, I'm not prepared to nominate Mr. Wilson for sainthood singularly. One particular joy has been watching he and Marshawn Lynch play sandlot football with the NFL.

Marshawn is not publicly demonstrative but he has shown he is good with a tough role: battering the defense into submission. He has not complained about weak O line play and set about hammering the defenses with 1,2,3 yard gains until they yield a bigger play. Russell without Marshawn=more carpet time for the QB.
CNN/SI's article on his possible retirement makes perfect sense and we may be witnessing the last few games of a truly great team player. We'll miss him if he decides to give it up but personally I'd rather see him go out on top.

For Elimination Football® this week:

Not many to choose from now ..so I piiiiiick. . .

Baltimore - Can't see them beating the Pats in January

San Diego - Can't see them beating the Pats in January

To add to my list:

NYG / Washington / NYJ / Dallas /Jacksonville / Minnesota / St Louis / Oakland / Miami / Tampa Bay / Atlanta / Pittsburgh / Cleveland / Cincinnati / Carolina / Indianapolis / Tennessee / Chicago / Houston / Detroit / Buffalo / San Francisco / New Orleans / Philadelphia / Kansas City / Arizona

That leaves me with:

Packers / Seahawks / Patriots / Broncos

For Reverse Survival Football™ (Loser Bowl):

Dolphins - playing away against New England this one is "as safe as houses"

My current score: 3

Previous highest score: 8

Teams used: Titans*, Chargers*, Washington, Jacksonville, Jets(0), Raiders, 49ers, Rams, Buccaneers, Bears, Texans*, Lions, Panthers, Bills

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
News from Houston is that Clowney is out for this season and quite possibly the next one too:eek:

And the injury he has is one which many failed to return from, and those that did came back a lot weaker.

As ya all know I dont care about the games themselves anymore, I am still interested about the facts around the business.

So what happened to him? Total knee destruction like it happened to T.D. and Jaamal Anderson? Or devastating hip injury like to "Bo knows" Jackson? Or worse, something short of the Stingley assasination?

Microfracture surgery on his knee. Some players recover from them, others do not. The recovery time is anywhere from 8-12 months.

The person who maybe was most famous for the surgery was Greg Oden, who had multiple bad injuries when with the Portland Trailblazers, including microfracture surgery on both knees. Greg played again, but was never the same. I believe Bob Sanders is another who had the surgery and never quite got back to his old form. Google it, you'll find a list of players who have had it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ARI @ STL - Could certainly go the other way, but I thought the Rams were less than impressive against an awful Skins team, so I'm going with the Cards.

Elimination Football:

Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers, Bengals, Saints, Seattle!, Iggles, Colts, Lions, Steelers, KC, Bills, Ravens

That leaves me with - Ravens, Cards, Packers, Pats. edit - Broncos and Bills (God knows how I missed ditching them).

Bills, and also the Ravens sadly added to the eliminated.

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, JAX, BUF, DET, WSH, ATL, MIA

Rest to follow...

Elimination Football.
Torebear - Oak, Jax, Tenn, KC, Hou, TB, Stl, Wash, NYJ, Min, Cle, Chi, Atl, NYG, Car, SF, Cin, SD, BUF, SEA, NO, MIA, IND, PIT New picks: DAL, Bal

I have six teams yet to be eliminated. I understood that to be 2 teams to eliminate for week 16 and 2 for week 17 while the 2 remaining will meet in the super bowl.

Is this correct or is there something I don't quite understand?

FYI I have: Philadelphia Eagles, Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Detroit lions, Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots remaining in the un picked pool.

Edit: If I have 2 kill off two more it would be Philly and Arizona. But why must they go now and not next week?

For Survival Football™.
Torebear - NY Giants, Chicago*, Pitt*, Tenn, Ari, Dal*, NYJ, SD, Stl*, SF*, Cin*, JAX, WAS, BUF New pick: Hou

Elimination Football®.[/B] I now have left:

NE, Indy, Denver, Phi, GB, Dal, Arizona.

I am now eliminating Dallas and Arizona. I too wish I had not eliminated Seattle. In the NFC I'm riding everything on Green Bay. In the AFC, I haven't made up my mind just yet.

For Survival Football™.

Indy, KC, Minn, Tenn, NYJ, Dal*, NYG, Wash*, St.L, Chi, Cin*, Det, Phi*, Buffalo, This week: San Francisco.

Tonight's Game:ARI@STL

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Elimination Football®.[/B] I now have left:

NE, Indy, Denver, Phi, GB, Dal, Arizona.

I am now eliminating Dallas and Arizona. I too wish I had not eliminated Seattle. In the NFC I'm riding everything on Green Bay. In the AFC, I haven't made up my mind just yet.

For Survival Football™.

Indy, KC, Minn, Tenn, NYJ, Dal*, NYG, Wash*, St.L, Chi, Cin*, Det, Phi*, Buffalo, This week: San Francisco.

Tonight's Game:ARI@STL

Um, Alpe - how can you have seven teams left?

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks like my Cardinals are going to pull off another win tonight, in spite of the injuries.

This will make the game next weekend with the Seahawks at home, a big old party.

I will be in that stadium and expect to leave much closer to deaf than I am tonight.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ARI @ STL - Could certainly go the other way, but I thought the Rams were less than impressive against an awful Skins team, so I'm going with the Cards.

Elimination Football:

Amsterhammer - Washington, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Sandy Eggo, Oakland, Jax, Tampa Bay, Houston, Atlanta, Minnesoda, Titans, Rams, Miami, NYJ, Bears, Browns, Niners, Panthers, Bengals, Saints, Seattle!, Iggles, Colts, Lions, Steelers, KC, Bills, Ravens

That leaves me with - Ravens, Cards, Packers, Pats. edit - Broncos and Bills (God knows how I missed ditching them).

Bills, and also the Ravens sadly added to the eliminated.

For Survival Football, you must pick a team you think will lose this weekend. You cannot select them again for the rest of the season. Here are last week's picks. Please help fill in the blank if you picked and I missed it.

Amsterhammer - (missed pick) Sandy Eggo, (one strike), Oakland, Tampa Bay, Cowgirls (strike 2) Rams (and that was strike 3) Titans, NYJ, JAX, BUF, DET, WSH, ATL, MIA

Rest to follow...

PIT @ ATL - A must win game for both. I'll give Ben the edge.
WSH @ NYG - Awful, awful, awful.
MIA @ NE - Home banker.
OAK @ KC - Should be another one.
HOU @ IND - And another.
JAX @ BAL - One more banker.
GB @ BUF - Away banker, surely.
TB @ CAR - A real meh game. No idea what to think about Newton's replacement
CIN @ CLE - Division is so tight, a must win for both
NYJ @ TEN - An even bigger meh game. Jets to suck slightly less. Maybe.
DEN @ SD - Peyton should enjoy the sun. Oh, and I hate the Bolts.
MIN @ DET - Pretty much of a home banker.
SF @ SEA - Anything other than a clear cut Hawks win would be a surprise.
DAL @ PHI - Iggles to keep rolling at home, Cowboys away streak should end.
NO @ CHI - Sadly, this won't be half the game it should be. NO to suck slightly less.

I will also eliminate Philly, getting me down to 4 teams after this week.

PIT@ATL - I don't trust either of these teams.
WAS@NYG - I trust these two even less.
MIA@NE - May actually be close.
OAK@KC - Chiefs get revenge, but barely.
HOU@IND - Texans fighting, but I think this is a lock.
CIN@CLE - Johnny Football time!
JAX@BAL - Ravens should be best team in AFC North
GB@BUF - Tough outing for GB, but get win.
TB@CAR - Can Panthers keep what they had last week? Without Cam?
NYJ@TEN - Both teams bad, but I think Titans will step up.
DEN@SD - Very close, but went with more desperate team, at home.
MIN@DET - Home team, Lions fight into playoffs.
SF@SEA - Lock of the week. Merckx may be right, this could be a blowout.
DAL@PHI - I've given up guessing on the Cowboys.

NO@CHI - Bears come to life against schitzo Saints.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Dear Mr. Spanos,
Please don't be a tool by moving the team to LA.
You dished Drew Brees, John Carney and Mr. Sproles all mistakes. You made an error that will cost all of us forever by letting Junior Seau leave and become a Patriot.
They had a enough respect for him to call him out of retirement to play because they thought he could contribute and was still an effective ball player. Now he is dead.
If you make the San Diego Chargers into the LA Chargers I hope that you have to share a box seat with another sports idiot like Donald Sterling or maybe take a clue from Frank McCourt and sell the team to anybody, just a person who cares.

Go Chargers!!
**better not be the last home game**

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Seahawks defense showed some flexibility until 3rd quarter. Locked down after that.
Bad but inconsequential "roughing" call against SF. They're QBs, not bike racers fer FS!

I actually think it's the Rams that will be moving back to LA, not the Chargers.

Good win for Denver, right when I was thinking they are on the down slide, they showed they are still one of the best.

The 49ers started out okay, but after that, a total shutdown by Seattle. At least the Niners weren't blown out.

What a total waxing of Johnny Football by Cincy! One can only wonder if Hoyer would have done better?

New England made some impressive adjustments to flatten Miami in the second half of that game.

With the Packers loss, they now drop to the 6th seed in the NFC! For now.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Seattle winning today was not good for family harmony in my home.

My wife and one of my daughters are Seahawks fans. I am a Cardinals fan and we have tickets to the game next weekend.

It will lead to much trash talking, and inevitable "I told you so'" next week.

It would have been much better for family peace if the Seahawks had had the good grace to lose today.

TRENDING THREADS