• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 204 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Excellent posts guys.

From what I can tell, the Eagles are only looking to extend Bradford one season, with options beyond that. Nothing long term.

That article on the Eagles is some of the best spin I have ever read. It's amazing. Basically saying that Kelly somehow thinks deeper and is doing things and no other coach (not even Belicheck) does. And that his risk of doing things like trading solid players for gimpy ones with a poorer history, will somehow pay off. It's as if Kelly is saying it's going to magically work perfectly and they're going to win the SB on his sage wisdom, just you wait and see. But based on here say. But articles like that on the Eagles, despite the depth they go into, still fail to address numerous questions. Such as, now that they've traded their best receiver away, who is Bradford going to throw to? Or, the league has shown that while running well late in the season, or when ahead in games (ie. Seattle) is very beneficial, it's by and far a passing league. Yet, the Eagles basically are going with a mostly unproven QB who has been hobbled by severe injuries, and are heavy at the RB position. I guess we'll soon find out. At the worst case, the Eagles will be entertaining. And I honestly do hope Sam stays healthy.

Regarding Wilson's contract (and extending Bradford, if they do), football, more than any other sport I can think of, is the consummate team sport. The 22 guys on the field (plus special teams) plus the coaching staff, and management, which includes the owners, without question. To heap so much money on one player - the QB, baffles me too. The QB is the most important position. But 5x more important than other players? 10x? I just don't see it. As it's been noted many times, Brady has restructured his contract more than once to help the team, while still making something like $10m a year - which is plenty of cash. And it shows why NE has such a solid team across the board, and 4 SB rings (which easily could be 7 - I'm including that awful playoff loss to the Jets after the 14-2 year on top of the two SB losses).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

From what I can tell, the Eagles are only looking to extend Bradford one season, with options beyond that. Nothing long term.

OK, then one season 30 mil... If he is worth 13 per year, why not 30. I think it would perfectly fit into Kelly masterplan... Oh how I like to make jokes about that joke of a "coach" and wanna-be "GM".

Basically saying that Kelly somehow thinks deeper and is doing things and no other coach (not even Belicheck) does.

And that his risk of doing things like trading solid players for gimpy ones with a poorer history, will somehow pay off.

At the worst case, the Eagles will be entertaining.

Ofc no one else does such imbecile things. Coz it defies logic to release your best players and exchange them with more expensive but less talented ones... Not to mention the over-loading at two positions while forgetting the rest. Kelly is on a suicide mission. But a very well paid one I must admit. And yes it will be entertaining. Looking at 21-74 blow-outs. Like college scores, with the only difference being Kellys team will be on the wrong end of them. Already ROFL.

Such as, now that they've traded their best receiver away, who is Bradford going to throw to? Or, the league has shown that while running well late in the season, or when ahead in games (ie. Seattle) is very beneficial, it's by and far a passing league. Yet, the Eagles basically are going with a mostly unproven QB who has been hobbled by severe injuries, and are heavy at the RB position.

Ofc... in most simple forms it is: Go aggresive (passing efficiently) early, built a good lead, run down the clock... True since at least the 1950s (exception; early 70s)...
So what Kelly tries here is the squaring of the circle: Can´t work. Never did, never will...

The QB is the most important position. But 5x more important than other players? 10x?

I wish I´d find the link in the thousands I have... AFAIR, studies showed a (good) QB is 20% worth of the offense (thus circa twice as much as the 9% would indicate if all offense positions were worth equally). But certainly not 5 times more than everybody else... Look at the Saints for example. A mess they became when the ball thrower in his reaching-all-over-greediness captured basically all the money.

Brady has restructured his contract more than once to help the team, while still making something like $10m a year - which is plenty of cash. And it shows why NE has such a solid team across the board, and 4 SB rings (which easily could be 7 - I'm including that awful playoff loss to the Jets after the 14-2 year on top of the two SB losses).

I guess Brady was forced by Beli: "Hey Tom; Never forget I made you, not the other way around. You see I can win with Cassel, I could with the new guy Garaffalo or whatever his name is. So take a pay-cut or you are gone like I did with the RBs I changed over the years again and again".

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Kaep isn´t in the list, Brady also isn´t (ofc not, Beli knows what he does, the GOAT)...
And SEA will pay dearly. They are already in big cap trouble, which will even rise over Wilsons contracts years. SEA is doomed, simply coz they overpay their running QB. What you think will happen if all the talent around him breaks? When he will be forced to pass 50 times in come from behind tries? It will show you his real worth (actually there is none in "running" QBs)... No "god speaks to him" will help out. And dumb GM will realize it too late.. Coz simply releasing Wilson (once his efficiency drops as realistic side-effects of less talent around him) will not cut costs, the him hefty pushed up the arse dollars are already wasted cap dollars for years to come...

The key is that you need 30 players all playing at or near top level

Absolutely. Beli shows it every year, and other teams still don´t learn. It´s beyond me...
Sorry, you were talking guaranteed money, and I was referring to overall contract.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The advantage of non-guaranteed money is, especially in a brutal sport like true Football, you won´t lose anything if a high priced player gets injured. Release him, he´ll be taken care of (by insurances, and NFL pension plans)...
Otoh, to trade for a injury prone butter arm, guaranteeing him 13 mil is simply insane. And it´s even more so if you had the better and proven option for wayyy less money on your roster.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
“He knows he has to get those guys lighter, but stronger,”

That´s how the title of the link MI posted should be called.
I am trou now, read it all. Really: Sounds like, walks like, quacks like... Sky´s marginal gains. An attempt to give reason to the mish-mash Kelly is doing in Philly. They same was tried in soccer over here: At Bayern Munich with Jürgen Klinsmann. He was out of the job half a year later...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It´s getting more bizarre in Philly. Now the "marginal gains" PR gag MI posted... well... was just a PR gag. Nothing about culture changing but about saving money (Kelly says):
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/chip-kelly-almost-all-the-eagles-moves-were-about-money/
Yet he signed a 13 mil QB, and had one for half a million which he traded away. Logical isn´t it? And the stunner: He tried to trade for Mariota:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/chip-kelly-we-examined-mariota-trade-but-werent-close/
Just shows how much he trusts his newly accquired 13 mil butter arm. This guy is all over the place. And ofc contradictory at its finest.

Great posts everyone. Even the somewhat anti-Wilson/Sea posts. I must say FOXXY, you keep me in stitches (CRACKED UP). That's a good thing. Especially over a Bittburger pilsner. My granny in law was 100 percent German immigrant. So I can fully appreciate your rants in the flavor of a real Deutsche accent.

That first link on Kelly is hilarious. They can tell the story 1,000 ways, but the fact is, their salary is about the same as last year, and I don't really see an upgrade in player personnel. They seem to be about the same team as last year, with deeper talent at RB, and less at WR. Oh, and the Bradford for Foles trade makes no sense using his logic.

These articles on Kelly's genius not being questioned are getting really annoying.

Brady case update:

The NY judge assigned to the case wants the two sides to settle. The problem is, it was reported that the NFL previously offered to reduce the suspension to one or two games if Brady would admit guilt and apologize, and Brady wouldn’t. The judge has already said that if he has to rule, it won’t be on the original evidence, but on the legality of the arbitration process, and Brady will almost certainly lose on this basis. Remember, LA tried to make the same argument vs. USADA, and the judge didn’t buy it.

From this point of view, it seems Brady cares more about his image than helping his team. You’d think if Brady was a team player, he would want to minimize the time his team has to play without him, rather than take the longshot gamble that if he appeals, he can have the entire suspension reduced. Since a one or two game suspension looks just as bad for his image as a four game suspension, if it’s just about his image, he has nothing to lose by rejecting a settlement and trying to get the entire suspension removed.

OTOH, Brady is adamant in denying he ordered or knew about any intentional deflating. He denied this under oath, so if compelling evidence that he did know later comes out—or if he just confesses as part of a settlement--technically he could be prosecuted for perjury. You’d think if he wasn’t telling the truth, he might be worried about that, though the odds of his being pursued for perjury would be pretty small.

Still, if you want to believe Brady has been railroaded, why did the Pats suspend Jastremski? I think we can all agree that if he did deflate the balls, Brady had to know about it and approve it. Either both were in on it, or neither was. If Jastremski didn’t deflate the balls—and he testified that he didn’t—on what grounds was he suspended? Maybe the Pats thought it would be best to do that until the matter was resolved, but as far as Jastremski goes, it is resolved now. The NFL did not suspend him or AFAIK make any recommendations about him in its decision on Brady. So why is he still suspended? And why isn’t he suing the team, the NFL, or someone, to get his job and rep back?

Finally, though I’ve been unsympathetic to Brady all along, I did feel sorry for him when the contents of his personal emails emerged. WTF? How did this happen? It seems a judge ordered they had to be made public—though the NFL itself did not want them to. And of course the media aren’t going to show any restraint in going through them and publishing any titillating tidbits they can find. It certainly makes Brady look more reasonable in destroying that cell phone, though I still think a professional in any area ought to use separate phones or other devices for business and personal affairs. Hello, Hillary Clinton.

P.S. – The most interesting tidbit that came out in Brady’s communications was a claim that he would destroy Manning in his final legacy, because Manning would be retiring within a couple of years, while he, Brady, expects to play seven or eight more years. This is in keeping with an earlier story I linked in which Brady says he intends to play until he’s 45. After all, if Chris (Why Are They All Afraid of Me) Horner can win stage races at that age, why not Brady?

Why stop at 45? Surely Brady can afford better...doctors than Horner, right?

There is a lot of scuttlebutt around this part of the country (recall I'm sandwiched between NY and Boston) about details that aren't often mentioned, or are being spun, or misinterpreted about it all. Everything from the number of balls, to how they were tested, to Wells actually telling Brady at one point he didn't need his cell phone. Jim Kelly wrote a note the other day about hoping Tom tells the truth. But as you read Jim's words, it is as if he's really not that familiar with the situation, didn't read the Wells report, and is referring to sound bytes from the blogosphere.

Antonio Cromartie has come to Brady's defense, saying a fine would have been sufficient, and he doesn't trust Goodell.

But I do agree this amounts to hubris, and ego. Tom's versus Goodell. I wrote about it a week or so ago. Two kids in the playground trying to yell over each other. The bigger wrong somehow making a right.

If someone wants to further spin the Eagles story about "holistic preparation" Desean Jackson hurt his shoulder in practice today for Washington. Out a few weeks. Now, Kelly's jock riders can talk about how had he stayed in Philly, that wouldn't have happened. Ooops, except Kiko Alonso actually suffered a concussion in practice.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Great posts everyone. Even the somewhat anti-Wilson/Sea posts. I must say FOXXY, you keep me in stitches (CRACKED UP). That's a good thing. Especially over a Bittburger pilsner. My granny in law was 100 percent German immigrant. So I can fully appreciate your rants in the flavor of a real Deutsche accent.

Nice to have entertained you. I try my best. Sorry, couldn´t resist with Wilson. ;)
I would say: "Noch ein Bier" (one more beer) :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMaLwdt0On4

Alpe d'Huez said:
Why stop at 45? Surely Brady can afford better...doctors than Horner, right?

Ofc NFL players take all kind of drugs & PEDs, and numbing shots on top of it... but as Brian Burke found out (linked & talked about it last year too); There is no decline in passing efficiency with age. Zilch. Zero. Nada. The only thing that stops QBs are injuries or the coaching fallacy to release old QBs after a bad season, thinking it´s an age case, while it´s normal variance (also explained in Burkes article).
Reasons are:
1) It seems the more you play, the more reps you get, the more D schemes you see in all those years, the more the game really slows down for such QBs. So much so, that declining athletism is more than made up with experience.
2) It may be that athletism by a QB is not that much needed as thought. Think about Mark the Rypper (did he ever move? ;) ), or Bradys non existing (running) speed at the combine, or my personal all-time favourite BigMac in his book "We had to run four stadiums rounds, I was lapped, after that Ditka skipped the event for the coming years".

All you need as a QB is a quick wrist (+ natural, fluid, highly effective, throwing technique) > ball speed & accuracy... The rest comes with experience (see 1). Baseball coach told me you can "bulk up" ball-speed. Either you have it, or you don´t. (Later found out that the latest hi-tech dope indeed increased ball-speed for pitchers > see MLB steroid era; so it certainly helps aging QBs too, but not the Mirers of this world ofc ;) )

If someone wants to further spin the Eagles story about "holistic preparation" Desean Jackson hurt his shoulder in practice today for Washington. Out a few weeks. Now, Kelly's jock riders can talk about how had he stayed in Philly, that wouldn't have happened. Ooops, except Kiko Alonso actually suffered a concussion in practice.

ROFL. "Marginal gains" at work. May Kelly should introduce motorhomes, for even better sleep at night.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hitch posted this in the clinic, hidden... so I feel free to link it here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIZvpHbmkDk

Not that we don´t know about it, and ofc I agree with Wiley, but not this sentence:

"They (NFL) have the capapility to fix this"... No, they would have the capability, if the players wouldn´t be too greedy and take 50% of gross revenue (before taxes), and thus some guys earn more than the total team profits.
But as long guys like Brees cash in big time no matter what, and even defend his colleges who were involved in the Bounty scandal, no one will care. Say thanks to crooks like Brees... I only feel sorry for the underpaid back-up meat...

That one is rather touching. A guy from before the big greed set in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HsXEpfNZuc

His career earnings: 4.6 millions as a round one draft pick (4th overall);
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/28/sports/football/nfl-draft-class-1990.html?_r=0

That first link was excellent. All of them, really.

I can't say though that if the owners got 60% of the keep, this wouldn't be an issue. You don't really believe that, do you? I do agree though that greed is like poison gas, it goes all directions, indiscriminately, especially in such a stark capitalist system as the US. And the players are anything but immune. I think it's the stupidity of the owners (and the lack of oversight in the NFLPA) that allows players like Brees or Manning, or Wilson to take such a lion's share of the pie, and leave others, many who give everything and are "this much" (two fingers, an inch apart) not as good, get so little.

I think a better solution really needs to happen in the next CBA (8 years away) in that both the owners and the players need to come to some sort of health & wellness agreement, and put aside large amounts of insurance money and savings accounts for just that. Greater profit sharing among players wouldn't hurt either. And also create some sort of buffer so that players who decide to take a few weeks off to recover, doesn't mean they'll be cut and are expendable. I don't know how that would work, but what currently exists is nothing like that. It's triage, disguised as merit.

There could also be some sort of "life after the NFL" fund that isn't just a player's savings, and pension. This could be anything from financial management, to health care savings accounts, or even job training. Look at it more like the US military, or civil service, than a 4 year lifetime career. A good example of this is MLB pitcher Randy Johnson. He left baseball, and went back to what he studied in college, photography. He now takes photos "for a living", mostly of musicians. But he notes on his website he thought about this all along, knowing some day his baseball career would end long before he was ready to retire from working, and he would fall back on photography. But Randy has to be in the 2 percentile. Most athletes aren't that prepared.

NFL and Steeler fans may remember Barry Foster. He played through numerous injuries, before retiring at 26, saying he felt like he was 60. He also said he saved his money well, so good for him. But fans may also recall the criticism he faced for not playing through (even more) pain, and how that helped lead to him losing his job to Bam Morris. This seems to be the norm. And for every Barry Foster who did save his money, there are many more who did not, and didn't even know how.

Aldon Smith of the 49ers has been busted yet again, this time for DUI and hit and run, and this time the Niners finally cut him. I can't help but think at this point, GM Trent Baalke's run has turned into a disaster.

Hall of Fame game on Sunday. Curious what Tim Brown has to say after waiting so long (like many other Raiders IMO. Shame Ken Stabler and Todd Christensen didn't get in while alive).

Yeah, I only saw Tim Brown and Junior Seau's induction. Tim took a long time but I like hearing the personal side that we do not often get to hear, which included little insights into others, like that short funny sounding ND coach Lou Holz. Seau's was well done and his daughter spoke very well. But it was really bittersweet. Too bad he is not around.

In other news, showing themselves to be the most inept team in the NFL, Geno Smith was sucker punched by IK Enemkpali right in the locker room, breaking Geno's jaw, putting their starting QB out 6-10 weeks, his jaw apparently needing surgery. Todd Bowles was asked what the argument was about and alluded that it was very childish, akin to what you hear from 6th graders, at one point Smith pointed his finger in Enemkpali's face, and so Enemkpali hauled off and slugged him. The Jets promptly released Enemkpali. With Smith's injury, Ryan Fitzpatrick now inherits the starting job. And you thought the team was a mess under Rex Ryan.

In other wacky news, Eagles fans are so worried about Sam Bradford's ailing knees, they have started a petition to get Pope Francis to bless them when he comes to Philly. I sure hope the Pope doesn't go through with it, and doubt he will. One because there are so many other people who need help beyond Sam - and I'm sure Francis knows this. But also because he would need to bless more than Sam's knees, lest fans forget all of his other injuries. :eek:

In one has to be one of the coolest stories, Seattle has signed Nate Boyer. Who? You don't know him from college? Well, he didn't go to college. He's a 34 year old rookie who spent nearly a decade as a Special Forces green beret with tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan. While he did play at Texas, the real story is that he started watching videos on YouTube about the art of long snappers when overseas, and put his mind to it. He's still a bit undersized, and Seattle already has Clint Gresham as their long snapper, but it's a great story .

Similar to this, for anyone who saw the Hall of Fame game, is the Steelers signing Alejandro Villanueva to camp, who played well on the OL. He's a captain in the army, and was awarded a Bronze Star from a tour in Iraq. Shades of Rocky Bleier anyone?

It's only a few weeks to the beginning of the season, so I'd thought I catch up on what has been going on having missed out on everything bar deflationgate.

I really enjoyed Foxxy's demolition of the "defence wins superbowl" line (yeah, I know that is going way back). Although I've always been a Cowboys fan, my ideal offence has always the Montana lead "hit them fast and from all angles" style.

I'm interested to see how the Eagles will run their offence. It will be strange to see Murray playing against the Cowboys, but the last time they got a high profile RB off of us, we did OK. I don't think it will be too different now. The OL is young, strong and has even been strengthened. Randle is explosive, rather than the wear them down type, but the Cowboys have backup. If MacFadden stays healthy, he could turn out to be a great choice, but as Foxxy says, pretty much anyone could run behind that line The secondary remains as an eternal problem and I'm pretty sure will prove our downfall (after a pretty good season).

Thanks for posting. The Cowboys look like a 10-6 team to me.

Meanwhile, Cris Carter is saying its Geno Smith's fault eh got sucker pinched, because he's not enough of a leader. Maybe he's not, but that's a terrible thing to say, blaming the victim. I could write a paragraph of examples why, but won't waste my breath.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
In other news, showing themselves to be the most inept team in the NFL, Geno Smith was sucker punched by IK Enemkpali right in the locker room, breaking Geno's jaw, putting their starting QB out 6-10 weeks, his jaw apparently needing surgery. Todd Bowles was asked what the argument was about and alluded that it was very childish, akin to what you hear from 6th graders, at one point Smith pointed his finger in Enemkpali's face, and so Enemkpali hauled off and slugged him. The Jets promptly released Enemkpali. With Smith's injury, Ryan Fitzpatrick now inherits the starting job. And you thought the team was a mess under Rex Ryan.

what a basket case, rumours are it was over $600 that geno owed Enemkpali.

"The problem between Smith and Enemkpali stemmed from expenses for a charity event Enemkpali hosted in July, according to a source.

Smith was scheduled to appear, but was forced to back out at the last minute following the death of someone close to him. Enemkpali was upset over Smith’s absence, and asked Smith to reimburse him for the travel expenses — a flight and limo adding up to $600. Smith, who pulls in approximately $1.25 million annually, agreed, but he still had not payed up when the two exchanged words this morning."

http://nypost.com/2015/08/11/jets-qb-geno-smith-breaks-jaw-on-sucker-punch-by-teammate/

I wonder how much of that 1.25 is guaranteed, that $600 could really end up costing him.

He was already on the edge, say he spends his 10 weeks on the sidelines then can't get the job as the starter, what other team would take him?

We could be talking about this in years to come as the moment Geno's career progressed from "on shaky ground" to "downward slide" to "over".

$600 is a lot of money to a marginal, second-string linebacker hanging on to his job for grim death. Smith should have paid the debt and not ridiculed Enemkpali. Both players lose here.

Enemkpali will more than likely never play professional footbsall again, and Smith just lost precious pre-season preparation time that could have done the Jets some good knowing that Tom Brady will more than likely sit out the first four games of the season.

IN-em-PALL-ee! But not surprised if Smith is partly to blame.

Some team might take a chance on him after what could be a league (not team) suspension (is there a precedent for a league suspension?), based on his strengths that appear in college player scouting reports.

The Jets, though, should have seen this coming after scouting reports on him. Here's one:
His name is pronounced "EYE-KAY IN-em-PALL-ee." His full name is Ikemefuna Chinedum Enemkpali. His parents were born in Nigeria. The Texas prep helped lead his school to the state playoffs during his two years as a starter. Enrolled at Louisiana Tech and redshirted in 2009; was part of the same freshman class as defensive line mate Justin Ellis. Saw action in 11 games (10 starts) at defensive end in '10 and had 36 tackles, six tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. Missed one game with a sprained ankle. In April '11, he was arrested following an off-campus incident and was subsequently charged with disturbing the peace and battery of a police officer. Was initially suspended by the team, but was reinstated before the season began.

Strengths: Very thickly built. Flashes shock and violence in his punch. Highly competitive, plays hard and motor runs hot. Keeps battling to the quarterback.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/ik-enemkpali?id=2543598

I find it kind of disturbing how this is being reported by a lot of the NFL talking heads/former professionals etc. Boomer Esiasons comments the other day on the NFL network were particularly disturbing and to me revealed animosity towards Smith. The only way I can explain this is that the New York media and talking heads have spun Smiths sometimes less than stellar qb play into something totally out of proportion. Questioning his work ethic, leadership qualities etc as perhaps the reason for his poor play. The narrative has gone completely out of whack.

Some people seem more than willing to jump on any rumor that can paint Smith in a negative light. It feels like this is a Narrative that people are trying to reinforce with more outlandish arguments.

From my understanding of QB play and development, Geno has done as well as can be expected in his situation over the years he has been in the league. People have just expected too much of him.

As for this incident. Back in 2012 Titus Young of the Lions sucker punched Louis Delmas, who was one of the leaders on the team and who was the guy that would help people. Young was released. Half a year later he had spiraled totally out of control, being arrested 3 times in a day or something like that. Last thing I think he did was knock out his Lawyer when he was visiting him in some psychiatric hospital or something. My take is that he had started to show signs of mental illness, and the Punch Delmas received came out of the blue, but added up to erratic behavior he had started to show off and on the field(purposely ran the wrong routes).

From the description Josina Anderson of ESPN gathered, the sucker punch seems similar. But in this case the guy has a history of violence against people with which huge consequences could emerge(striking Police officer). It would not surprise me if this situation spun out of something more relating to IKs problems of perception as much as anything Smith did or didn't do.

In short, the Jets and Rex took a chance on a 6th round pick with upside. Likely Rex thought he could control him. Had Rex still been there it would not surprise me if he had headed this off. Rex seems to handle misfits well. The problem was when Bowles came in. He likely didn't know the team/players well enough to be able to spot what was going on.

Long rant over. I hate idiocy, and the media spin on this reeks of it.

Here is an article describing some of this idiocy:
http://thebiglead.com/2015/08/12/geno-smith-isnt-a-true-leader-true-leaders-dont-exist/

And if I were a GM I would think very carefully before signing Ryan Fitzpatrick with the intention to use him in any other capacity than an unquestioned number one. Bad things tends to happen to those that come between him and the starters position:
https://twitter.com/josephakroush/status/631517590209306624
:eek:

TRENDING THREADS