• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 224 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
52520Andrew said:
Bengals and Patriots play each other so there won't be two undefeated teams in the AFC Championship game

No they don't, not in the regular season. One of those teams could go undefeated and have to play the championship game on the road. I'd guess it would be Cincy, because if both teams are undefeated, all the tie-breakers are even until you get to points differential, which currently favors the Pats.

Yeah my bad, you are right. I am thinking Cincy won the AFC North last year meaning they would play all the first place teams. Guess they are winning the AFC North by enough that it is clouding my memory

Nice win for the Bears, and Jay Cutler. So many people want to throw him under the bus, but he still has a great arm, and a nice touch on the ball.

Count me in as someone who would love to see two unbeaten teams play in the Super Bowl. That would be amazing. I'm not so sure Carolina will do it though. Don't get me wrong, they're playing great and winning tough games. But they easily could have lost to both a struggling Seattle, and Green Bay if the Packer defense were the same it was the first 5 weeks of the season.

My gut tells me Cincy will lose a game or two as well. Though I won't count the Patriots out of going 16-0, they could lose to Denver, the Jets, or at Miami. The only thing stopping them is if they are wound too tight, or if someone finds a way to exploit their injuries, or run up a lot of points on what should be an average defense. I can however see Cincy and Denver both going 14-2, or one of them going 15-1.

I think there are only three teams in history that went 15-1 and didn't make the Super Bowl. The Packers 2011 started 14-0, but botched a game against the 9-7 Giants in the playoffs (after beating them in the regular season), the 2004 Steelers lost to the 14-2 Patriots (after beating them in the regular season), and the 1998 Vikings should have gone to the big game against the Broncos, but lost a tough one to the 14-2 Falcons.

As to peaking early, that's happened many times. In fact, the 2011 Packers looked invincible through about 10 weeks. Even after that they still were a big favorite going into the playoffs. But three costly fumbles, a blown tackle on a bomb to Nicks, and the Giants converting a hail mary at the half, sank them in the playoffs. Just two seasons ago the Chiefs were 9-0 heading into the bye, and then closed out the season 2-5, and lost a shootout to the Colts in the wild card game.

And how many great seasons did we see Payton Manning play, only to get to the playoffs and...

On the inverse of peaking early, I wrote the Cowboys off last week, but I'm not writing Seattle off who, if they keep their egos in check, could easily finish 11-5 and win that division. They play Arizona, SF, Pitt, then @ Minn, @Bal, Cle, StL, and @ Arizona.

Can't see the Panthers going undefeated, far too many close calls for us so far and one game we will throw it away. I think im right in saying Panthers have the toughest run-in of the undefeated teams too, in terms of win records of all sides left to play.

Of the 3 I would back the Patriots to go 16-0.

BUF@NYJ - Rex has his team up, and I'm sure he's motivated to stick it to the Jets, but New York has been a more consistent team, Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing (though he said he will likely undergo minor surgery on his non-throwing thumb on Friday), Todd Bowles has them focused and playing fairly mistake free, and better prepared teams tend to win on Thursday night games. And the Jets are at home.

Re:

jmdirt said:
All in all a pretty good Sunday of NFL games. I knew that Denver wouldn't go undefeated, but I didn't expect Indy to be the one to stop them. If Indy can get rolling... The Panthers are for real, but there are still so many doubters. Super Newton has the second lowest completion percent in the NFL, low QB rating, and is low in other stats...but he is leading an 8-0 team (I love it when the numbers don't tell the entire story!). Joyner's hit on Bridgewater should draw at least a one game suspension and $25K. Joyner is saying that he had already launched when Teddy started to slide, but the video is clear that he launched after the slide. He could have easy gone over him instead of lowering his arm/shoulder into him.
Well he got the fine I suggested, but no suspension.

Taking the Bills tonite. Was doing some research and found that the Bills have played three games already against teams coming off a TNF game who had 3 extra days to prepare and one against a team coming off the bye. Can't find another team that has more than 2 of those.

Bills with the win. Rex has to be happy for the win, and it makes it a little sweeter being over the Jets.

I was talking with a friend last night, and his theory is that there are a lot of near .500 because so many teams are pretty even (Bills v Jets). Certainly there are some poor teams, and some really good teams, but maybe there is quite a bit of parity in the middle. Maybe that is better football than I have been giving it credit for, but I still see it as a lot of sloppy football. That's not to say that I haven't been entertained most Sundays.

Good call Billie. Great win for the Bills and Rex. On paper they seemed to have more talent, but have been underwhelming this year, the Jets the opposite, but the Bills gritted this one out.

Nice to see a great game on Thursday, instead of the usual blow out or slop fest.

Some bad news for the Eagles, rookie linebacker Jordan Hicks is out for the season with a torn pectoral muscle. He had been their leading tackler.

Lots of talk and hype here in the Northeast about this Sunday's Giants-Patriots game. It's like the Super Bowl is being relived to many people, and there are people who think this could be a Super Bowl preview (the Giants can win that division, but beat the Panthers, or Seahawks even?)

SI.com had some silly fun, picking the best NFL player per jersey number. #1 was easy to me, Cam Newton. When you get to obscure numbers, not so much. #12. Who would you go with? I'll take Tom Brady. They went with Aaron Rogers.

http://www.sportingnews.com/photos/4655262-best-current-nfl-players-at-each-jersey-number-1-99-russell-wilson-jj-watt-aaron-rodgers-odell-beckham-jr

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Agree, and am also going for the Jets.

BUF @ NYJ

Hate starting with a Thur. night loss.

DET @ GB - A home banker, surely?
DAL @ TB - God knows. I'll go home for the hell of it.
CAR @ TEN - Titans should not be able to stop the roll.
CHI @ STL - Looks another home banker.
NO @ WSH - No, I can't do it. We'll find a way to lose.
MIA @ PHI - Iggles, surely?
CLE @ PIT - Looks another home banker.
JAX @ BAL - In a normal season, this would be a home banker - now, it's iffy.
MIN @ OAK - Raiders should take this at home.
NE @ NYG - Away banker.
KC @ DEN - They keep winning...
ARI @ SEA - This could be very close, Hawks could lose but I just give them the edge.
HOU @ CIN - Monday night home banker.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Peyton benched

Ravens doing what they do best by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Lions get first win in GB in forever

Patriots and Giants have another showdown with the Pats coming out on top at the end with a long FG.

Seattle's offense is average with flashes of good. I frequently find myself questioning the play calling, and/or RW's decision making. Everyone talks about how great the defense is, but they gave up 39 points. Granted they accounted for 12 points. As a Seahawks fan I have suffered through some dry years so I'm thrilled with recent years, but they need to figure out how to regain what the rise to the top took away. They could still end up a nine win team which might get them a into the play offs, and then you never know what can happen.

The Vikings are looking good.

Osweiler can be the future for the Broncos (that's to answer the big question swirling on the www). Manning may not be completely cooked though.

Big Ben is a good back up.

Packers...WTH?!

Pats, Panthers, Bengals!

Look at all of the 4 and 5 win teams.

I'll take the Bengals tonight.

Good post there Mr. Dirt.

Amster's picks may have set a record for futility. However, I'm sure he's happy today as the Skins ran it up, and Kirk Cousins had a career day. He might, actually be the future there, though the Saints defense is awful.

That New England - New York game was something. Best game of the year, and that's the best the Giants have looked all season, especially their OL, and on blitzes (where games are often won and lost). They really came to play. And they made Brady look bad at times, no question. But the Pats losing Edleman hurt, not having Lewis hurt, and both starting tackles, and one back-up tackle out, hurt. This just isn't the same Pats team that started the season. Never the less they are 9-0, and as the team heals they could get back in stride right into the playoffs, and a tough win like this gives teams a huge boost, especially younger and less experienced players.

If the season ended today, the Giants would host Green Bay for the wildcard game, then travel to either Arizona or Carolina. I wouldn't write them off in any of those games, though I imagine they'd like to avoid going to Carolina.

All the talk of 16-0 Patriots, they're a lot more banged up than either Carolina, or Cincy.

I'm not sure what to make of the Packers, but they are now out of first place. At times Rogers looked great, and other times, their offense looked really empty. Is is the play calling? Jordy Nelson gone? Pass protection? Poor run blocking? I don't get it.

Meanwhile, I thought the Vikings were beating up on weak competition, but they do keep on winning, and a great win over Oakland in Oakland, and they are in first place.

Arizona's win over Seattle is a game they really needed. Cris Collinsworth said sometimes to be on top, you have to beat up the bully of the division, and the Cardinals finally did that. They really toughed out a gritty win when they could have caved. Yes, they've had a soft schedule, but this shows they are deep. Seattle just isn't quite the same team they were. And all those highly paid players looked only above average last night, or even just average.

Are the Bears for real? Cutler finally for real? Who thought they'd take out the Rams like that. St. Louis on the other hand is just maddening to follow.

I like the Steelers chances this year. I doubt they'll catch Cincy, but they have a lot of experience, a venerable coaching staff, and that counts for a lot. Can Ben stay healthy? If the season ended today, they'd go to Indy for a wildcard game, and I'd like their chances there.

I'm glad Sam Bradford isn't too hurt, and may not even miss a game. He was probably playing his best game all season until he went down, and Sanchez quickly lost the game for them. Hard to watch. But their loss, along with the Giants losing again, really helps the Cowboys, who should be dead, but aren't, just in time for Romo to come back. Can he go 6-1 with them, and is that enough to win that division? 5-2 might do it.

Denver's loss to KC was ugly. Especially Manning's performance. I realize he's playing hurt, but a 0.00 passer rating, with four interceptions and only 5 completions, it was one of the worst performances ever for any QB. And their defense seemed on their back heels against an average KC team missing their best player (arguably).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
By some distance my worst picks ever, and it's not like they were crazy picks either. Yes Alpe, as I suggested by my note next to the Skins game, this was in theory, on paper as we say, a winnable game. But, I've seen them throw so many other winnable games away in the most imaginative ways, that my pessimism meter always hits the roof. Indeed, I couldn't believe my eyes. It was like someone had kidnapped the entire squad, and replaced them with football players.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Seattle's offense is average with flashes of good. I frequently find myself questioning the play calling, and/or RW's decision making. Everyone talks about how great the defense is, but they gave up 39 points. Granted they accounted for 12 points. As a Seahawks fan I have suffered through some dry years so I'm thrilled with recent years, but they need to figure out how to regain what the rise to the top took away. They could still end up a nine win team which might get them a into the play offs, and then you never know what can happen.

The Vikings are looking good.

Osweiler can be the future for the Broncos (that's to answer the big question swirling on the www). Manning may not be completely cooked though.

Big Ben is a good back up.

Packers...WTH?!

Pats, Panthers, Bengals!

Look at all of the 4 and 5 win teams.

I'll take the Bengals tonight.

Yes Seattle looks a bit one dimensional at the moment. Their defense picked it up in the second half with some sacks and strong play but the Cardinals were too versatile with superior wide receivers and a good display from the QB.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Only got 3 picks right this week with a potential 4th if Cincy can get a win(although I wouldn't mind if they lose). Picked Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Washington to get wins. Just a pretty crazy week for upsets though

I didn't make any picks, but I'm sure mine would have been just as bad. What an upside down week.

The latest NFL news is that Aldon "knucklehead" Smith tested positive for something (his second offense) and is suspended for a year this time. He was 2nd in sacks for the Raiders. The Raiders do need serious DL help (and when Woodson retires, DB help), but he's not the answer. Talent or not. Considering a top scout just said Alabama had three defensive lineman that could go in the first round, I expect Oakland to look there, to play alongside Mario Edwards, and have Kalil Mack behind him.

Cleveland has announced that Johnny Football is their starting QB for the rest of the season. While he did play his best game (in a blowout loss) last week, and McCown has been banged up for some time, I can't help but feel the Browns have given up on the season, and likely will once again roll the dice this year, firing coaches, cutting players, etc.

The Rams named Case Keenum their starter as well. Not sure where this will head, though he did play better than ever before in the pre-season.

With Romo back, the Cowboys cut Brandon Weeden. His numbers were actually impressive in Dallas, but he also didn't seem to move the ball, or get it in the end zone, with consistency, and went 0-3 as a starter.

This week does have some good games. Games with outcomes that could affect the season, though Thursday's game is more of one of hope for the future of both teams. Teams with some potential shining players, but also could continue to stink for some time. TEN@JAX. Oddly, the Jags are just 1 game out of first, and the Titans just two games out.

If you ever thought about getting NFL RedZone (or the NFL ticket) now would be a week to consider it:

Colts play at Atlanta. Both teams are struggling, both teams have talent, a win would boost either, a loss hurt bad.

Denver is at Chicago. One team is maybe heading up, the other down. This is also John Fox getting a chance to stick it to his former team.

Jets at the Texans. Two weeks ago this looked like a Jets win easy. Now, with Fitzpatrick coming off surgery and questionable, and the Texans winning big on Monday over Cincy, and having not given up a TD in a while, this looks interesting.

Washington goes to Carolina. One would think the Panthers would blow them out. But the Skins defense stuffed the Saints high scoring offense, and Kirk Cousins just had a career game.

Cowboys at Miami - Romo is back, and the Cowboys aren't out of it. A win could ignite a big fire under Dallas. Miami back to struggling.

SF goes to Seattle, who won't so much be seeking revenge, but trying to keep their ship headed straight, while the 49ers have nothing to lose.

Cincy plays at Arizona - The Bengals loss to Houston shouldn't hurt them, and Arizona's big win over Seattle was very timely. This looks like an alternate Super Bowl type match-up (as opposed to New England and Carolina).

Buffalo is at New England. The Pats won't have Edleman until week 17, or maybe the playoffs. And other line help may not be arriving for this game either. Can Buffalo take advantage? The game is in New England.

Green Bay goes to Minnesota in what has to be the game of the week. This is an acid test for the Vikings, to show they are for real, not just beating up on weak teams, and they can take out the division's best team. The Packers have a real chance here to show they are still the best in the NFC North.

Real picks later.

TRENDING THREADS