• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 225 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I didn't make any picks, but I'm sure mine would have been just as bad. What an upside down week.

The latest NFL news is that Aldon "knucklehead" Smith tested positive for something (his second offense) and is suspended for a year this time. He was 2nd in sacks for the Raiders. The Raiders do need serious DL help (and when Woodson retires, DB help), but he's not the answer. Talent or not. Considering a top scout just said Alabama had three defensive lineman that could go in the first round, I expect Oakland to look there, to play alongside Mario Edwards, and have Kalil Mack behind him.

Cleveland has announced that Johnny Football is their starting QB for the rest of the season. While he did play his best game (in a blowout loss) last week, and McCown has been banged up for some time, I can't help but feel the Browns have given up on the season, and likely will once again roll the dice this year, firing coaches, cutting players, etc.

The Rams named Case Keenum their starter as well. Not sure where this will head, though he did play better than ever before in the pre-season.

With Romo back, the Cowboys cut Brandon Weeden. His numbers were actually impressive in Dallas, but he also didn't seem to move the ball, or get it in the end zone, with consistency, and went 0-3 as a starter.

This week does have some good games. Games with outcomes that could affect the season, though Thursday's game is more of one of hope for the future of both teams. Teams with some potential shining players, but also could continue to stink for some time. TEN@JAX. Oddly, the Jags are just 1 game out of first, and the Titans just two games out.

If you ever thought about getting NFL RedZone (or the NFL ticket) now would be a week to consider it:

Colts play at Atlanta. Both teams are struggling, both teams have talent, a win would boost either, a loss hurt bad.

Denver is at Chicago. One team is maybe heading up, the other down. This is also John Fox getting a chance to stick it to his former team.

Jets at the Texans. Two weeks ago this looked like a Jets win easy. Now, with Fitzpatrick coming off surgery and questionable, and the Texans winning big on Monday over Cincy, and having not given up a TD in a while, this looks interesting.

Washington goes to Carolina. One would think the Panthers would blow them out. But the Skins defense stuffed the Saints high scoring offense, and Kirk Cousins just had a career game.

Cowboys at Miami - Romo is back, and the Cowboys aren't out of it. A win could ignite a big fire under Dallas. Miami back to struggling.

SF goes to Seattle, who won't so much be seeking revenge, but trying to keep their ship headed straight, while the 49ers have nothing to lose.

Cincy plays at Arizona - The Bengals loss to Houston shouldn't hurt them, and Arizona's big win over Seattle was very timely. This looks like an alternate Super Bowl type match-up (as opposed to New England and Carolina).

Buffalo is at New England. The Pats won't have Edleman until week 17, or maybe the playoffs. And other line help may not be arriving for this game either. Can Buffalo take advantage? The game is in New England.

Green Bay goes to Minnesota in what has to be the game of the week. This is an acid test for the Vikings, to show they are for real, not just beating up on weak teams, and they can take out the division's best team. The Packers have a real chance here to show they are still the best in the NFC North.

Real picks later.

I think Vikings and Green Bay should be really good as should the Cardinals and the Bengals. Based on what I have seen of the Seahawks lately I would not surprised if the 49ers won and Seattle only scored one TD in their first game against the 49ers earlier in the season. Seattle's offense is struggling and against the Cardinals so was their defense. I am confident of a Colts victory over the Rams. I think the Rams are on the slide. Bills and Patriots should also be interesting.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
I didn't make any picks, but I'm sure mine would have been just as bad. What an upside down week.

The latest NFL news is that Aldon "knucklehead" Smith tested positive for something (his second offense) and is suspended for a year this time. He was 2nd in sacks for the Raiders. The Raiders do need serious DL help (and when Woodson retires, DB help), but he's not the answer. Talent or not. Considering a top scout just said Alabama had three defensive lineman that could go in the first round, I expect Oakland to look there, to play alongside Mario Edwards, and have Kalil Mack behind him.

Cleveland has announced that Johnny Football is their starting QB for the rest of the season. While he did play his best game (in a blowout loss) last week, and McCown has been banged up for some time, I can't help but feel the Browns have given up on the season, and likely will once again roll the dice this year, firing coaches, cutting players, etc.

The Rams named Case Keenum their starter as well. Not sure where this will head, though he did play better than ever before in the pre-season.

With Romo back, the Cowboys cut Brandon Weeden. His numbers were actually impressive in Dallas, but he also didn't seem to move the ball, or get it in the end zone, with consistency, and went 0-3 as a starter.

This week does have some good games. Games with outcomes that could affect the season, though Thursday's game is more of one of hope for the future of both teams. Teams with some potential shining players, but also could continue to stink for some time. TEN@JAX. Oddly, the Jags are just 1 game out of first, and the Titans just two games out.

If you ever thought about getting NFL RedZone (or the NFL ticket) now would be a week to consider it:

Colts play at Atlanta. Both teams are struggling, both teams have talent, a win would boost either, a loss hurt bad.

Denver is at Chicago. One team is maybe heading up, the other down. This is also John Fox getting a chance to stick it to his former team.

Jets at the Texans. Two weeks ago this looked like a Jets win easy. Now, with Fitzpatrick coming off surgery and questionable, and the Texans winning big on Monday over Cincy, and having not given up a TD in a while, this looks interesting.

Washington goes to Carolina. One would think the Panthers would blow them out. But the Skins defense stuffed the Saints high scoring offense, and Kirk Cousins just had a career game.

Cowboys at Miami - Romo is back, and the Cowboys aren't out of it. A win could ignite a big fire under Dallas. Miami back to struggling.

SF goes to Seattle, who won't so much be seeking revenge, but trying to keep their ship headed straight, while the 49ers have nothing to lose.

Cincy plays at Arizona - The Bengals loss to Houston shouldn't hurt them, and Arizona's big win over Seattle was very timely. This looks like an alternate Super Bowl type match-up (as opposed to New England and Carolina).

Buffalo is at New England. The Pats won't have Edleman until week 17, or maybe the playoffs. And other line help may not be arriving for this game either. Can Buffalo take advantage? The game is in New England.

Green Bay goes to Minnesota in what has to be the game of the week. This is an acid test for the Vikings, to show they are for real, not just beating up on weak teams, and they can take out the division's best team. The Packers have a real chance here to show they are still the best in the NFC North.

Real picks later.

I think Vikings and Green Bay should be really good as should the Cardinals and the Bengals. Based on what I have seen of the Seahawks lately I would not surprised if the 49ers won and Seattle only scored one TD in their first game against the 49ers earlier in the season. Seattle's offense is struggling and against the Cardinals so was their defense. I am confident of a Colts victory over the Rams. I think the Rams are on the slide. Bills and Patriots should also be interesting.
Colts at Atlanta, no?
Rams are facing the Ravens... will be interesting to see how Keenum does

I gave some comments earlier, but here are some picks to go with it.

INDY@ATL - I actually like the Colts here. Matt Hassleback has played some (and well) this year, and has had over a week to properly prep. And the Colts have been improving of late. Atlanta is very iffy overall. Ryan inconsistent, and their defense has been motivated, but really nothing to shout about. Being home helps, but not enough.

TB@PHI - This is interesting because the Bucs are playing better, Winston playing with consistency, and Mark Sanchez is starting for the Eagles. IF he can play mistake free, they can still win at home.

DEN@CHI - One team on the up, the other team on the down. Perhaps. It's hard to gauge a season on two games, but with PM hurt, and out, Denver's offense may not be able to move enough on an average Bear defense, while Cutler is really earning his money of late. Potential bitter cold weather helps the Bears.

NYJ@HOU - The Jets have been struggling with a hurt Fitzpatrick, and the Texans defense has really risen up to a force. Since Bryan Hoyer has taken over the offense, the defense hasn't given up a TD. That's 10 straight quarters.

DAL@MIA - Romo is back, and if the Cowboys win this, don't be surprised if they upend Carolina the following week on Thanksgiving, at home. Did I post that?

GB@MIN - Despite three bad games in a row, the Packers still have a lot of tools. Eddie Lacy will play, and you know Aaron Rodgers has to be motivated. But The Vikings are talented, and at home. Here's a big chance to show they are the team of that division.

SF@SEA - The Seahawks are a mess, and the 49ers have nothing to lose. Some people are saying they will win this game, but they are not the Cardinals, and Seattle is still in the hunt.

BUF@NE - Buffalo coming off a big win over the Jets, plus some extra rest, and the Pats still hurting. Still, they won't stop Brady and the Pats from going 10-0.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Real picks later.

Don't think Smith tested p for anything. Theae are chickens coming home to roost for the dui he has in the summer which prompted the 9ers to release him. Raiders knew when they signed him that it was only for a matter of time.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I gave some comments earlier, but here are some picks to go with it.

INDY@ATL - I actually like the Colts here. Matt Hassleback has played some (and well) this year, and has had over a week to properly prep. And the Colts have been improving of late. Atlanta is very iffy overall. Ryan inconsistent, and their defense has been motivated, but really nothing to shout about. Being home helps, but not enough.

TB@PHI - This is interesting because the Bucs are playing better, Winston playing with consistency, and Mark Sanchez is starting for the Eagles. IF he can play mistake free, they can still win at home.

DEN@CHI - One team on the up, the other team on the down. Perhaps. It's hard to gauge a season on two games, but with PM hurt, and out, Denver's offense may not be able to move enough on an average Bear defense, while Cutler is really earning his money of late. Potential bitter cold weather helps the Bears.

NYJ@HOU - The Jets have been struggling with a hurt Fitzpatrick, and the Texans defense has really risen up to a force. Since Bryan Hoyer has taken over the offense, the defense hasn't given up a TD. That's 10 straight quarters.

DAL@MIA - Romo is back, and if the Cowboys win this, don't be surprised if they upend Carolina the following week on Thanksgiving, at home. Did I post that?

GB@MIN - Despite three bad games in a row, the Packers still have a lot of tools. Eddie Lacy will play, and you know Aaron Rodgers has to be motivated. But The Vikings are talented, and at home. Here's a big chance to show they are the team of that division.

SF@SEA - The Seahawks are a mess, and the 49ers have nothing to lose. Some people are saying they will win this game, but they are not the Cardinals, and Seattle is still in the hunt.

BUF@NE - Buffalo coming off a big win over the Jets, plus some extra rest, and the Pats still hurting. Still, they won't stop Brady and the Pats from going 10-0.

Lynch is in doubt for the Seahawks and they are only one win above the 49ers who I think have just as much to play for. You are right about the Cardinals though, they are traveling much better than the other teams in their conference and I will be interested to see how they go against the Bengals.

Good point on SF-SEA. I'm not going to look back, but I think Foxxy said Seattle would finish last in that division. Though he also said Philly would go 0-16. I still think Seattle could be dangerous in the playoffs, for a game or two. I imagine they, and the Giants, are two teams others will want to avoid come January, regardless of their record.

I'm having a hard time evaluating the Arizona-Cincy game.

So, if the Patriots don't lose to the Bills, or at the Broncos next week,who is going to beat them? Especially as their OL gets back to full strength? They play Philly, @Houston, Tennessee, @NY Jets, @ Miami. I guess they could lose at Houston, or the Jets. But they will certainly be favored in all of those games. Maybe even against Denver, even if Manning is at full strength.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Didn't watch the Thursday game, picked right.
OAK @ DET - I never get the Raiders right.
IND @ ATL - Home banker
NYJ @ HOU - I'll go Jets but a home win wouldn't surprise.
TB @ PHI - Iggles.
DEN @ CHI - I'll take the Bears in Manning's absence.
STL @ BAL - Surely they can win this?
DAL @ MIA - I know Romo's back, but still.
WSH @ CAR - An upset would not astonish, but I can't pick 'em.
KC @ SD - Bolts always disappoint me.
GB @ MIN - Can the old Packers turn up? Can they possibly be that bad again? I don't believe it.
SF @ SEA - Home banker.
CIN @ ARI - Game of the week, I'll take the Cards with home edge.
BUF @ NE -Can't see them losing this one.

Nice win by Green Bay also the Cardinals were impressive again. The Ravens get the win but lose big in injuries including the QB gone for the season. The 49ers were reportedly mediocre against Seattle and are heading for a flogging it seems by the Cardinals next week like their first meeting earlier in the year. Some are saying that the 49ers coach will be next to go. The Panthers run continues.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Nice win by Green Bay also the Cardinals were impressive again. The Ravens get the win but lose big in injuries including the QB gone for the season. The 49ers were reportedly mediocre against Seattle and are heading for a flogging it seems by the Cardinals next week like their first meeting earlier in the year. Some are saying that the 49ers coach will be next to go. The Panthers run continues.
Actually, the 49ers looked better than they have looked in many of their other games, but mediocre is a good word to describe them. They were coming into the season looking like a 8-8 team and then had some early retirements, some injuries, Kaep not playing up to expectations, and questionable coaching so they might be a 5 win team. Gabbert looks good.

Osweiler has Montana (and Bronco) fans going nuts! I think that he can be an elite NFL QB (I said that when he was at ASU).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I thought that the curse of King Tut had well and truly struck me after the early games. The three later ones saved me from another debacle. Kudos to Alpe for getting the Colts, Texans and Cowgirls right.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah Flacco going down dooms any chance the Ravens had of salvaging the season(as bad as they have been, only 2 games out of it which tells you just how bad the rest of the AFC is, I'd be shocked if NE doesn't go to the Super Bowl and it is very possible that they end up going there 18-0).

Packers got the big win against Minnesota, Arizona played a good game, Kansas City rolling and could be a team guys don't want to face come January, Indy also getting a big win in Atlanta.

Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
Actually, the 49ers looked better than they have looked in many of their other games, but mediocre is a good word to describe them. They were coming into the season looking like a 8-8 team and then had some early retirements, some injuries, Kaep not playing up to expectations, and questionable coaching so they might be a 5 win team. Gabbert looks good.

Osweiler has Montana (and Bronco) fans going nuts! I think that he can be an elite NFL QB (I said that when he was at ASU).

Have not watched the 49ers game yet but I heard that defensive lapses cost them badly while Gabbert went well. It's the story of the year for the 49ers. When the defense turns up the offense doesn't and vice versa. It seems that a rookie RB who replaced Lynch was too much to handle for the 49ers ! I have a feeling that there will be a clean out at the 49ers as the coaching and performances are not up to standard. Tomsula will probably survive till the end of the season and Kaep will be traded. It seems other teams are already showing interest in him since he went on the IR.

I have to agree with Merckx who speculated he ends up in Philly, playing for Chip Kelly.

The Patriots went to 10-0, but I have to wonder how long they can keep winning as the injuries pile up, with Amondola's MRI due today, and Edelman out until likely the playoffs, and Aaron Dobson hobbled again last night, they could actually be down to two healthy receivers, Brandon LaFell and undrafted rookie Chris Harper. Plus they still have a patchwork OL. But credit the Bills who pressured Brady all night, and shut down Gronk. This may serve as a blueprint for other teams looking to stop them.

Speaking of 10-0 teams. There have been only 16 of them since the merger. Only two went unbeaten. None finished with more than 3 losses (some of those teams "rested & coasted"). 9 out of 14 (64%) made it to the Super Bowl, six of them winning it all. In 1990 the Giants and 49ers were both 10-0 and ran head first into each other in the regular season. The 49ers came out on top, but the Giants returned the favor in the playoffs. In 2009 the Colts and Saints both started 10-0, and played in the Super Bowl. The latest to go 10-0 was the 2011 Packers, who looked unstoppable mid-season, went on to go 15-1, limped into the playoffs, and lost in the divisional round at home to the Giants in a stunner. This has to be in the back of the Patriots mind one would think.

I am one who thinks it would help the Patriots to lose to the Broncos next week. It would take some pressure off, and allow some focus. I think the same thing about the Panthers against the Cowboys. Rarely if ever is losing good. However...

In other news Johnny Manziel, right after being named likely starter showed up at a party and was videotaped holding a bottle of champagne. Despite McCown being hurt (and not playing well) Mike Pettine was so upset he benched Manzeil all the way to third string.

Sam Bradford cleared concussion protocol, and his shoulder is okay, but will he play? I think so. The Eagles just about collapsed since he left. But Sanchez played okay on Sunday, their defense and running games fell apart.

What a disastrous year for Baltimore. First Suggs, then Flacco and Forsett in the same game gone for the year. Is now the time to call Ray Rice? He wouldn't start, but play behind rookie Javorius Allen. But Rice was on Boomer Esiason's radio program this week and seemed pretty contrite, and hinted that he had talked to several teams this season, including Baltimore. Boomer also found quotes where Ravens owner Steve Biscioti had praise for Rice as a person, and great presence in the locker room. Well, if Greg Hardy can play...

Has anyone noticed that after starting 1-5, the Chiefs have won 4 in a row, including some blowout wins? And this includes wins over Denver and Pittsburgh. At 5-5 their schedule is also somewhat favorable. Buffalo, @OAK, SD, @BAL, CLE, OAK. I'm not saying they'll go 11-5. But they actually could.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
But Rice was on Boomer Esiason's radio program this week and seemed pretty contrite, and hinted that he had talked to several teams this season, including Baltimore. Boomer also found quotes where Ravens owner Steve Biscioti had praise for Rice as a person, and great presence in the locker room. Well, if Greg Hardy can play....

To be frank, I see this about as likely to happen as Lance Armstrong racing in another Tour de France. As a Ravens fan, wish Rice the best on another team and hope he gets an opportunity but that ship has sailed. If he came back to the Ravens as a player, I'll eat my hat or something equivalent to that.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I have to agree with Merckx who speculated he ends up in Philly, playing for Chip Kelly.

The Patriots went to 10-0, but I have to wonder how long they can keep winning as the injuries pile up, with Amondola's MRI due today, and Edelman out until likely the playoffs, and Aaron Dobson hobbled again last night, they could actually be down to two healthy receivers, Brandon LaFell and undrafted rookie Chris Harper. Plus they still have a patchwork OL. But credit the Bills who pressured Brady all night, and shut down Gronk. This may serve as a blueprint for other teams looking to stop them.

Speaking of 10-0 teams. There have been only 16 of them since the merger. Only two went unbeaten. None finished with more than 3 losses (some of those teams "rested & coasted"). 9 out of 14 (64%) made it to the Super Bowl, six of them winning it all. In 1990 the Giants and 49ers were both 10-0 and ran head first into each other in the regular season. The 49ers came out on top, but the Giants returned the favor in the playoffs. In 2009 the Colts and Saints both started 10-0, and played in the Super Bowl. The latest to go 10-0 was the 2011 Packers, who looked unstoppable mid-season, went on to go 15-1, limped into the playoffs, and lost in the divisional round at home to the Giants in a stunner. This has to be in the back of the Patriots mind one would think.

I am one who thinks it would help the Patriots to lose to the Broncos next week. It would take some pressure off, and allow some focus. I think the same thing about the Panthers against the Cowboys. Rarely if ever is losing good. However...

In other news Johnny Manziel, right after being named likely starter showed up at a party and was videotaped holding a bottle of champagne. Despite McCown being hurt (and not playing well) Mike Pettine was so upset he benched Manzeil all the way to third string.

Sam Bradford cleared concussion protocol, and his shoulder is okay, but will he play? I think so. The Eagles just about collapsed since he left. But Sanchez played okay on Sunday, their defense and running games fell apart.

What a disastrous year for Baltimore. First Suggs, then Flacco and Forsett in the same game gone for the year. Is now the time to call Ray Rice? He wouldn't start, but play behind rookie Javorius Allen. But Rice was on Boomer Esiason's radio program this week and seemed pretty contrite, and hinted that he had talked to several teams this season, including Baltimore. Boomer also found quotes where Ravens owner Steve Biscioti had praise for Rice as a person, and great presence in the locker room. Well, if Greg Hardy can play...

Has anyone noticed that after starting 1-5, the Chiefs have won 4 in a row, including some blowout wins? And this includes wins over Denver and Pittsburgh. At 5-5 their schedule is also somewhat favorable. Buffalo, @OAK, SD, @BAL, CLE, OAK. I'm not saying they'll go 11-5. But they actually could.
Kaep would be perfect for Chip.

The Pats need to bring in some receivers. That would also help get Gronk open.

Its never good to lose when you are trying to win (if you lose when you are resting players that is different).

Manziel is an idiot!

Rice could help many teams. I despise chicken sh*ts who beat on other people, but that rarely costs people their career. And yah, Hardy, who is a beater and an idiot, is playing.

KC looks good for a run into the play offs, and who knows what can happen then...

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Desperate situations create desperate results.

But I too will be very surprised.

I wouldn't even say the Ravens are desperate at this point as their season is now basically over with Flacco down. If we had a healthy Flacco and were closer to being in contention then I could see us being desperate enough to sign someone(although I still highly doubt it would be Rice in that situation). At this point though, they are probably more into evaluating the younger talent. They did recently sign Terrance West to the Practice Squad and brought him up to the 53 man roster so I would imagine he gets a look along with other young guys who they could sign.

Manziel has to be done in Cleveland. I'm all but certain they'll just cut him after the season is over. The only question is if they'll shop him in garbage time as trade bait.

With Kaep now on IR in SF, I'm also all but certain that's the last we'll see of him in a SF uniform, unless management cleans house after the season, and some coach comes in that fits him perfect. I'm not sure who that would even be though. As noted here, it seems the coach he'd be best suited to play for is Chip Kelly, and he says he's not going anywhere. But who knows?

If Denver beats New England, I can't imagine the Broncos benching Osweiller, no matter how healthy Payton Manning is. Which also may mean we've seen the last play from Manning. In fact, even if Denver loses to New England, and Osweiller plays okay, he may still keep the job, especially heading into winter weather. Osweiller also fits Gary Kubiak's game plan better than Manning.

Toss in RG3, and you have four franchise QBs (though Manning old) who likely won't play again for the team they are on now.

Marshawn Lynch out for a few weeks at least, with hernia surgery.

PHI@DET - While Bradford is probable, Detroit seems on a roll, at home.
CAR@DAL - The Panthers are excellent, but I think Dallas comes alive here.
CHI@GB - Green Bay has just about righted the ship.

will chip be in philly next year to give kaep a job though?

I've been reading rumours (which have been doused) that everyone's getting fed up with the situation there.

now I know rumours are rumours, but once talk like this starts it can gather a momentum of its own (I've seen it here in our footy many times).

Wins can stop that momentum, but where are they going to come from with Sanchez under center?

And I see you mention manning, did I hear right that he wants to play on next year? Even if it's not at the Broncos?

COME ON BUDDY. . . Give it a rest.

Re:

leftover pie said:
will chip be in philly next year to give kaep a job though?

I've been reading rumours (which have been doused) that everyone's getting fed up with the situation there.

now I know rumours are rumours, but once talk like this starts it can gather a momentum of its own (I've seen it here in our footy many times).

Wins can stop that momentum, but where are they going to come from with Sanchez under center?

And I see you mention manning, did I hear right that he wants to play on next year? Even if it's not at the Broncos?

COME ON BUDDY. . . Give it a rest.
Chip will be in Phi next year. Even if the natives are restless, he has at least one more year of "give it time" especially if he talks (rumors) about getting a QB who can run the O. If Kaep comes in and plays like he played when he took over at SF, and the O line tightens up, they are 14-2.

Never understood this whole Kaep will play for Chip Kelly next season. It's superficiel analysis that doesn't go further than Kaep is a running QB, Chip once had a running QB.

Look at the QB's Chip brought in: Barkley, Sanchize, Bradford. Not running QB's at all.

And looking at it from Kaepernicks perspective: he was succesfull in San Fran in a slow grind it out power running scheme that lined up and ran it down the opponents throat. Exactly the opposite of what the Eagles do.

The interesting thing about that is that McFadden is more of a run between the tackles RB, but they don't really use him that way. Also, Bradford is anything but a running QB. He's a quick read QB. One of the knocks on Kaep is that he doesn't go through progressions well. The anti-Brady (or anti-Bradford) if you will. So both he, and somewhat Chip would have to adapt if he went there. Plus, Chip has said he likes to have two QBs capable of starting. Presuming he keeps Bradford, and Sam had finally been playing well until hurt, Kaep isn't the same kind of QB, even if he's a better athlete than Sanchez.

I have to say I've never really bought into the running QB in the NFL. They all seem to have electric moments, but never last playing that way. The best "running" QBs in recent times have been Newton, who has done far more damage with his arm, and Wilson, who doesn't run as much as he keep plays alive. The whole idea that the read-option was nearly impossible to defend has been mostly proven wrong, and the QBs that tried it most the last few years (and used the QB run as part of the option), RG3 and Kaep have fallen quite far. I always thought RG3 could make it big in the NFL though because he does have a strong arm and did show deep field and outside accuracy, but once his knee blew out, and he needed to adapt into a Romo-like QB who could use his legs to not run but just keep plays alive, he never seemed to adapt, and I think ego has something to do with that. As to Kaep, it's hard to say what he thinks, if he thinks he can still run, or because he has a very strong arm he can throw anywhere. But obviously both are untrue, at least for right now. Is Chip Kelly the guy who can change that? Turn him into the next Big Ben, who uses his size and feet to keep plays alive? I honestly don't know.

TRENDING THREADS