• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 241 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
Here is what Seattle FG kicker had to say about how that kind of cold affects the kicking game:
The climate represented the third-coldest playoff game in NFL history and one that Hauschka said made it feel like he was “kicking a flat ball all day,” noting how in zero-degree weather the air pressure in a football can drop from the standard 12.5 pounds per square inch (PSI) to “8.5-9 PSI."

"They’re not allowed to heat the footballs or anything,” Hauschka said. “It’s just NFL rules, so those footballs basically are flat. So when you’re kicking a flat football it’s on your foot for a long time. It doesn’t go very far. That was the adjustment for me."
I suppose the ball being on the kicker's foot longer could mean a slicing follow through might make the ball hook more, versus more of a straight follow through?
The balls should be aired up, and checked in the climate that they will be used in, not in the 70 degree locker room.

Re:

Billie said:
has there ever been a team that has had such a stretch of continuous luck in the postseason as Seattle? Miss from 27, the Kearse catch, the Onside kick recovery. Ridiculous

189/191. That's 99%. Incredible.

The end to the Bengals game was also incredible. Though I'm not a fan of the Pacman flag.

ALso: Martavis!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

What does that mean?

Re: Re:

BullsFan22 said:
Billie said:
has there ever been a team that has had such a stretch of continuous luck in the postseason as Seattle? Miss from 27, the Kearse catch, the Onside kick recovery. Ridiculous

189/191. That's 99%. Incredible.

The end to the Bengals game was also incredible. Though I'm not a fan of the Pacman flag.

ALso: Martavis!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

What does that mean?

Kickers on 27 yard field goals this season.

Took me a second too.

Never commented on the Joey Porter thing. He definitely should been flagged as well, and maybe ejected. I don't care if he had permission to get on the field, as soon as he started jawing at and egging on the Bengals, I would have immediately tossed a flag if I were a ref. That game was barely in control at that time, if at all, and he had no business doing anything than looking over his player, period. Granted, that absolutely does not make the way the Bengals played excusable. They had a total meltdown, and their own antics cost them the game. However, if I had been a ref, at that point I would have flagged Burfict for going for Brown's head, which they did, and flagged both Porter and Adam Jones to offsetting penalties after the play (and maybe tossed both). That still would have given the Steelers' Chris Boswell about a 49 yard attempt, instead of 34, to win the game. And some 20 seconds on the clock, if the Steelers wanted to risk running another play. Boswell was perfect all night, and missed only 3 kicks all season, including making two from over 50 on grass, thus I doubt he would have missed. So to me the ultimate outcome of the game is not in doubt.

The game was properly officiated. Barely, but it was. However the league absolutely must come down on all players, and coaches, who were involved at every level. This also includes not just Porter, but Mike Munchak, who was earlier penalized for shoving Reggie Nelson and pulling his hair when Nelson went out of bounds. That was just garbage.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Took me a second too.

Never commented on the Joey Porter thing. He definitely should been flagged as well, and maybe ejected. I don't care if he had permission to get on the field, as soon as he started jawing at and egging on the Bengals, I would have immediately tossed a flag if I were a ref. That game was barely in control at that time, if at all, and he had no business doing anything than looking over his player, period. Granted, that absolutely does not make the way the Bengals played excusable. They had a total meltdown, and their own antics cost them the game. However, if I had been a ref, at that point I would have flagged Burfict for going for Brown's head, which they did, and flagged both Porter and Adam Jones to offsetting penalties after the play (and maybe tossed both). That still would have given the Steelers' Chris Boswell about a 49 yard attempt, instead of 34, to win the game. And some 20 seconds on the clock, if the Steelers wanted to risk running another play. Boswell was perfect all night, and missed only 3 kicks all season, including making two from over 50 on grass, thus I doubt he would have missed. So to me the ultimate outcome of the game is not in doubt.

The game was properly officiated. Barely, but it was. However the league absolutely must come down on all players, and coaches, who were involved at every level. This also includes not just Porter, but Mike Munchak, who was earlier penalized for shoving Reggie Nelson and pulling his hair when Nelson went out of bounds. That was just garbage.

There was a lot of garbage in that game. The last quarter was chaotic especially when the Bengals could smell the win. If that was an early season game many coaches would have torn strips off the players after the game especially from the Bengals. Not an easy game for the officials at all. To watch that game and then watch how the Vikings lost was too much ! Some interesting match ups now for next week.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Here is what Seattle FG kicker had to say about how that kind of cold affects the kicking game:
The climate represented the third-coldest playoff game in NFL history and one that Hauschka said made it feel like he was “kicking a flat ball all day,” noting how in zero-degree weather the air pressure in a football can drop from the standard 12.5 pounds per square inch (PSI) to “8.5-9 PSI."

"They’re not allowed to heat the footballs or anything,” Hauschka said. “It’s just NFL rules, so those footballs basically are flat. So when you’re kicking a flat football it’s on your foot for a long time. It doesn’t go very far. That was the adjustment for me."
I suppose the ball being on the kicker's foot longer could mean a slicing follow through might make the ball hook more, versus more of a straight follow through?
considering he knows all that regarding pressures and having kicked it flat all day, surely he'd then kick it appropriately for those conditions...

The decisions I was completely mystified by were the 2 different "defenceless receiver" situations - 1 was a penalty to the Steelers, the other a non-penalty to the Bengals (even with the helmet-to-helmet contact).

I just can't understand that rule, I can only think that (consciously or otherwise) WRs get a different sort of standard to RBs coming out of the backfield.

Shame that such a hard fought game has the taint of officialdom tarnishing it.

All set up for another absorbing weekend of football this weekend.

Of the teams I think the Chiefs, Seahawks and the Steelers are in with a chance to upset the home teams - I can't see the Packers doing it.

Archibald said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

considering he knows all that regarding pressures and having kicked it flat all day, surely he'd then kick it appropriately for those conditions...

Perhaps it's easier said then done...I'd imagine they don't get to practice in these conditions very often.

Re:

leftover pie said:
The decisions I was completely mystified by were the 2 different "defenceless receiver" situations - 1 was a penalty to the Steelers, the other a non-penalty to the Bengals (even with the helmet-to-helmet contact).

I just can't understand that rule, I can only think that (consciously or otherwise) WRs get a different sort of standard to RBs coming out of the backfield.

Shame that such a hard fought game has the taint of officialdom tarnishing it.

All set up for another absorbing weekend of football this weekend.

Of the teams I think the Chiefs, Seahawks and the Steelers are in with a chance to upset the home teams - I can't see the Packers doing it.

The rule is different when player with the ball has established himself as a runner, which Bernard was deemed to have on that play, and thus wasn't, according to the rule, a defenseless receiver.
It could still have been flagged though, as Shazier used the crown of his helmet, which the rules disallow;

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

So yes, in that regard, it probably should have been called as unnecessary roughness, though not due to Bernard being defenseless.

infeXio said:
The rule is different when player with the ball has established himself as a runner, which Bernard was deemed to have on that play, and thus wasn't, according to the rule, a defenseless receiver..

That I understand, but each player caught the ball and then took 2 steps, if that, how has one established themselves as a runner while the other hasn't?

leftover pie said:
infeXio said:
The rule is different when player with the ball has established himself as a runner, which Bernard was deemed to have on that play, and thus wasn't, according to the rule, a defenseless receiver..

That I understand, but each player caught the ball and then took 2 steps, if that, how has one established themselves as a runner while the other hasn't?

You mean Burfict's hit on Antonio Brown that was flagged, right? - or have I misunderstood something?
If it's the hit on Brown; he didn't catch the ball

What I didn't like about shaziers tackle was 1) leading with head as you said, but 2) also dropping the head so the angle oh his neck was dangerously low which could have caused more serious injury to him than the dude he was tackling. Shaziers hit was a good example what coaches teach grade schoolers not to tackle like. Shaz is da!! Lucky he didn't break his own neck.

News on Burfict getting uglier. Steelers OL DeCastro tweeted that Burfict spat in his face during the game. Rumors floating that Burfict is not mentally right, to put it nicely.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Took me a second too.

You could have saved yourself some typing and just agreed with my post RE: Porter. Great minds... :D

Good interview with Carson Palmer this morning on the local sports radio broadcast. Two BSU/NFL alum, Ian Johnson, and Daryn Colledge have a new morning show here in Boise. Colledge protected Palmer for a few years so that gave the interview a good feel. The best question wasn't from the interviewers, but from Palmer who asked Colledge who he was pulling for. Daryn played five years for GB, and three for AZ. His reply: "they both fired me so whoever gets me sideline passes." Palmer said that he would get it done. :)

As soon as they have the replay on their site, I'll post it.

Re:

infeXio said:
So Burfict suspended for the first 3 games of the 2016 season
Two things from that: 1) they know he will appeal, and get reduced so they needed it long enough to actually have a suspension after the reduction, 2) that hit was strike six this year, if its only that hit there wouldn't be a suspension just a fine.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Billie said:
Shazier's hit was dirtier than Burfict's imo. Shazier had options and could have easily made a less-dangerous tackle but chose to lead with his helmet. ALso him dancing while Bernard is laying there for dead doesn't help.
His dancing was what made me mad. I would have knocked the crap out of him if I was his teammate.

I agree, he easily could have been flagged for either helmet to helmet, or unsportsmanlike conduct after the play. I'm sure if the refs knew what kind of ugliness was to follow, they would have flagged him for the latter.

Despite Cincy being done, I have a strong feeling the referees for this coming Denver-Pittsburgh game are going to be very assertive and throw personal foul and unsportsmanlike flags early and often, being well aware of what just happened. Rivalry or not, they shouldn't be intimidated by any BS. Keep in mind, the Pitt-Cincy crew tried to get ahead of things by being on the 50 yard line before kick off, and did throw flags, and it still wasn't enough.

Apparently Big Ben suffered partially torn ligaments on that sack from Burfect. Despite talk he might not, I'm sure he'll suit up and be out there for the first snap. I just don't know how well he can throw the ball. This will make for an interesting game, in that both teams defenses are likely to play a lot of press coverage, challenging them to throw deep, and blitz to disrupt the QB. Tomlin showed some class saying the Bengals were a tough team that badly wanted to win which is what caused all this, and refuted words that Porter was given a game ball. Still, while I am no Broncos fan, I will definitely be cheering for Denver this weekend.

Adams is now likely out at WR for the Packers.

Julian Edelman says he is 100% "full throttle" ready, and actually could have played in the last game of the regular season. They could have used him actually.

Tom Coughlin interviewing at SF, and Philly. I don't care if he's 69, if he wants to coach, and your team needed a little old school discipline, I'd hire him. There have to be several teams who aren't going to be able to hire their first choice, and Tom has to be the best 2nd choice for them all.

I still think the best place to coach, if I were looking, would be Tennessee. They do have owner and GM issues, but they have Mariota, lots of cap room, and the top pick in the draft.

So, does Nick Saban toss his hat in the ring? He's already immortalized in Alabama. But Jeffrey Gorman says if a team hires Saban, they do an overhaul. They don't just get Saban, they hire a full new staff of his selection, and get ready for heavy overturn of players (Carroll in Seattle).

Are all four Clemson defensive lineman going to play on Sunday next year? They really kept their team in the game against a monster Alabama team. As athletic as Deshaun Watson is, I have no idea how well he could play in the NFL. Though he's only a (redshirt) sophomore.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I think Watson is a good player but he is going to have to bulk up a bit at the next level and like most runners who aren't Cam Newton, he is going to have to be smart about running the ball to avoid any big hits. I think Watson has a good shot at doing well in the pros though.

Hue Jackson is expected to take up the Browns head coach job but nothing has been decided. He also interviewed at the 49ers and will be interviewing with the Giants. He has plenty of leverage and was the 49ers top pick after Payton stayed with the Saints. The 49ers have not offered the job to Jackson so far and have decided to interview Coughlin. Chip Kelly has been seen in Tennessee and was not offered the 49ers job so it seems the 49ers have not liked any of the candidates so far otherwise they would have locked in Jackson who they knew was going to interview elsewhere. It seems that there are not many proven quality coaches on the market at the moment so it would not surprise if Coughlin was offered the job and he brought some talented coordinators with him re the future.

Big Ben has an ACL injury as well as the shoulder injury. The ACL is the least severe of the two injuries.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Hue Jackson is expected to take up the Browns head coach job but nothing has been decided. He also interviewed at the 49ers and will be interviewing with the Giants. He has plenty of leverage and was the 49ers top pick after Payton stayed with the Saints. The 49ers have not offered the job to Jackson so far and have decided to interview Coughlin. Chip Kelly has been seen in Tennessee and was not offered the 49ers job so it seems the 49ers have not liked any of the candidates so far otherwise they would have locked in Jackson who they knew was going to interview elsewhere. It seems that there are not many proven quality coaches on the market at the moment so it would not surprise if Coughlin was offered the job and he brought some talented coordinators with him re the future.

Big Ben has an ACL injury as well as the shoulder injury. The ACL is the least severe of the two injuries.

Not quite ACL (knee); torn ligaments in the shoulder as well as the AC joint sprain.