• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 251 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Something I don't understand. Why does the NFL fine players for handing the game ball after a TD is scored to a fan? Did anyone watch Carolina beat Seattle, where Cam and other players handed Carolina kids in the stands the game ball and then see their face light up? By dong that the NFL just got a fan for life I'd bet. Those kids will cherish the balls they got forever. Seems like the league has their head screwed on backwards on this one.

The rule is in place to keep players from chucking the ball into the stands, and hurting unsuspecting fans who aren't paying attention. I don't know the details, but I heard rumors that Panther players who give balls to kids either have their fine infinitely delayed, ignored, rescinded on appeal, or are allowed to have the fine go to a charity. Too lazy to google right now. Thought I'd be offline by now, but still around!

Don't really know how to call this Super Bowl and am not invested in either team, I think it'll be close. But I'll give the Panthers an edge. (Won't be upset if Denver wins, it'll give Manning a good send-off. Unless he decides to Favre it and hangs around for another one hundred years and comes out of multiple retirements, of course.)

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Something I don't understand. Why does the NFL fine players for handing the game ball after a TD is scored to a fan? Did anyone watch Carolina beat Seattle, where Cam and other players handed Carolina kids in the stands the game ball and then see their face light up? By dong that the NFL just got a fan for life I'd bet. Those kids will cherish the balls they got forever. Seems like the league has their head screwed on backwards on this one.

Panthers have been giving away balls on TD's all season, mainly to kids of course and I don't see a problem with it. As you said, its something they will remember forever.

My nerves have been pretty good the past few days, but now kick off is almost here im an absolute mess :eek:

I was expecting the reverse result but hats off to Denver their defense was great and they shut down Newton .Terrible first quarter by the Panthers and they never really recovered. Even though they did not lead by much I thought Denver looked comfortable after half time with the Panthers offense. Both Palmer and Newton had their worst games of the season in the playoffs ! Newton looked a bit shell shocked and frustrated throughout the game. Manning showed him how to get the job done. One for the purists not a flashy game at all but still entertaining. I wonder what odds you could have got for Denver when the playoffs started ? Will Manning retire on a high or go again for another season ?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Kept getting 'bad gateway' repeatedly....yeah, I'm glad for the old man. The better of two excellent defenses prevailed. Von Miller played the game of his life and totally deserved his MVP

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Panthers have been giving away balls on TD's all season

I know you didn't mean it that way, but it sure was prophetic.

The Denver defense is being considered by some as one of the best in SB history, along with SE just two years ago and the Steel Curtain teams of 1970s. Probably should also mention the Bears in the mid 80s and the Ravens in the beginning of this century, though the teams they played were not considered especially strong offensively. The Denver team that SE blew out two years ago was higher-scoring than the Panthers this year, but their offense was pretty one-dimensional, whereas the Panthers were a threat both running and passing.

Also, Denver’s defense this year was handicapped by a weak offense. That means the defense spends more time on the field, has generally bad field position, and is always operating in a situation where giving up one score can be devastating. The Seahawks moved the ball well in the SB two years ago, and built up a big lead that forced Denver to change its game plan. Denver’s offense this year set a SB low of less than 200 yards, with only 11 first downs and 51 plays and less than 30 minutes possession. Manning’s performance, honestly, was one of the worst by a QB in SB history. His turnovers cost the team probably six points (one FG they probably would have made, and one FG the Panthers probably wouldn’t have made). In a close, low-scoring game, that put a lot of extra pressure on the defense, but the Broncos were up to it. By the numbers, Newton was no better than Manning.

Newton is a great talent, but has a lot of growing up to do. He wants to celebrate in the EZ when he scores, and thinks everyone should understand it’s all fun and games, but then when he loses, he sulks and walks out of the press conference. Sure looks like a guy who can dish it out but can’t take it.

Patriots are already the betting favorites to win the SB next year, with the Panthers and Seahawks right behind them.

Merckx index said:
Pricey_sky said:
Panthers have been giving away balls on TD's all season

I know you didn't mean it that way, but it sure was prophetic.

The Denver defense is being considered by some as one of the best in SB history, along with SE just two years ago and the Steel Curtain teams of 1970s. Probably should also mention the Bears in the mid 80s and the Ravens in the beginning of this century, though the teams they played were not considered especially strong offensively. The Denver team that SE blew out two years ago was higher-scoring than the Panthers this year, but their offense was pretty one-dimensional, whereas the Panthers were a threat both running and passing.

Also, Denver’s defense this year was handicapped by a weak offense. That means the defense spends more time on the field, has generally bad field position, and is always operating in a situation where giving up one score can be devastating. The Seahawks moved the ball well in the SB two years ago, and built up a big lead that forced Denver to change its game plan. Denver’s offense this year set a SB low of less than 200 yards, with only 11 first downs and 51 plays and less than 30 minutes possession. Manning’s performance, honestly, was one of the worst by a QB in SB history. His turnovers cost the team probably six points (one FG they probably would have made, and one FG the Panthers probably wouldn’t have made). In a close, low-scoring game, that put a lot of extra pressure on the defense, but the Broncos were up to it. By the numbers, Newton was no better than Manning.

Newton is a great talent, but has a lot of growing up to do. He wants to celebrate in the EZ when he scores, and thinks everyone should understand it’s all fun and games, but then when he loses, he sulks and walks out of the press conference. Sure looks like a guy who can dish it out but can’t take it.

Patriots are already the betting favorites to win the SB next year, with the Panthers and Seahawks right behind them.

Yeah I think you are right about Newton. In no fashion does he lack self belief ! He just hasn't learned how to lose yet and has some growing up to do. When things are going wrong he does not seem to be able to let the ego go and look at things as a problem solver but he's not the only one I'm sure and the camera is always in his face looking for reactions. The Panthers were getting nowhere with their running game while Denver did make some good inroads at crucial parts of the game. Manning was not great but coped better under pressure than Newton which may not be saying much. It looked to me like Newton folded early in the game and was tired of getting off the ground. Not sure if he was injured but he took some good hits. Panthers looked shocked that they did not get their usual good start and their offense just could not get going.

Merckx index said:

I've not been an NFL fan for long (2003 Superbowl my first game watched), however the Denver defence was by far the best I've seen and I have nothing but credit for them. I said to friends over the past couple of weeks for the Panthers to have any chance we had to get off to another great start, go 2 scores in front and let the Denver offense make mistakes chasing the game, The Panthers D has been superb all year forcing mistakes from their opponents when they have scored early on.
I honestly didn't think Peyton could hurt us and he didn't, his stats were almost as bad as Cam's. The fact was that had Cam not fumbled near the end of the game, Denver would have been the first winning side in Suprbowl history to not score an offensive touchdown.

Unfortunately the opposite of what I wanted to happen then happened and Denver went 10-0 up thanks to a crazy couple of minutes when somehow an official ruled a good catch as incomplete then Cam fumbled for them to score a TD. No excuses from me though, the Denver D deserved to be on the winning side.

Without comparing stats & looking at opponents I don't know if I'd say the Denver D is Much better than the SEA D of 2 years ago, but I would agree this set of Denver edge rushers is better than that SEA D had. I might give the edge to the secondary to Denver also. After Denver's SB loss to SEA 2 years ago Denver made it a point of emphasis to build their defense, and they did a stellar job of it. Their defensive play yesterday was stellar as well. And you know what I say about defenses and championships. But this Carolina O-Line is not as good as the SEA O-Line of 2 years ago. So that makes it more difficult to compare defenses.

In spite of the pressure Denver put on Cam, Carolina was still in the game until late when Cam turned the ball over, which lead to a Denver TD that put the game away. Did anyone besides me think Cam played a bit like a puss by pulling up and not diving on the loose ball? I guess Cam met kryptonite yesterday.

How surprising is it that just days ago people were talking about how Carolina would fit into history of the all-time greats?

If Denver would have lost the week 16 game to Cincinnati, they may not have even made the playoffs, think about that.

A lot of pundits, including myself, said the great teams were in the NFC. Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, Green Bay, maybe in that order. Denver eeked out wins over injured Steeler and Patriot teams. I guess those teams were better than we gave credit for.

I was wrong about the Broncos in a lot of ways. I said PM didn't have it anymore and the team would fizzle late in the season. I said Gary Kubiak wasn't as good of a coach as John Fox, and Wade Wilson was riding long coats of nepotism. I also said Carolina was too explosive and Denver couldn't stop Cam, and keep Greg Olson at bay. They did both, perfectly. The better team won this game, no doubt.

I don't like comparing teams of the past to teams of the present. But I do indeed think it's fair to say this Bronco defense is one of the best ever.
Merckx index said:
...and the Ravens in the beginning of this century, though the teams they played were not considered especially strong offensively.
Maybe, maybe not. The Ravens took on the Giants who were 12-4 and the #1 seed in the NFC, coming off blowing out the Vikings out 41-0 in the most lopsided game in NFC Championship history. A lot of experts thought the Giants had the ability to at least move the ball and put some points up on Baltimore's vaunted defense. They could not. They were unable to do anything offensively, and had it not been for a kickoff return, they would have been shut out. They were completely demolished by the Ravens defense, a team that had a poor offense.

Re:

King Boonen said:
I watched the first half. Even as someone who hardly knows anything about American Football it seemed obvious that neither quarterback was really playing well, it was just the Denver defense that was much better.

Yup, both offenses shut down..panthers more than Denver. Cam showed what a punk he is at the press conference. He played like crap, he is embarrassing. Didn't want to jump on his own fumble..didn't want to get hurt I guess.

Talib ought to be suspended..he's an enforcer..too much 'roid rage.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Cam will be fine. There are many worse things than losing in the Super Bowl to one of the all time great NFL defenses and that team is talented enough that they could be back next year even.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Without comparing stats & looking at opponents I don't know if I'd say the Denver D is Much better than the SEA D of 2 years ago, but I would agree this set of Denver edge rushers is better than that SEA D had. I might give the edge to the secondary to Denver also. After Denver's SB loss to SEA 2 years ago Denver made it a point of emphasis to build their defense, and they did a stellar job of it. Their defensive play yesterday was stellar as well. And you know what I say about defenses and championships. But this Carolina O-Line is not as good as the SEA O-Line of 2 years ago. So that makes it more difficult to compare defenses.

In spite of the pressure Denver put on Cam, Carolina was still in the game until late when Cam turned the ball over, which lead to a Denver TD that put the game away. Did anyone besides me think Cam played a bit like a puss by pulling up and not diving on the loose ball? I guess Cam met kryptonite yesterday.

I agree, I lost a lot of respect for him on that one. it's the freakin super bowl and you can dive for it?

The three "dramas" I keep hearing this morning: the catch/no catch call- that's not a catch because the ball never stopped moving, the tip touched the ground, and then moved more. Cam not diving on the fumble late in the game- his lineman had it so I think that he pulled off http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/Cam_Newton_Fumble_Super_Bowl_50_Dive_On_It.jpg
How many times have you seen a guy knock a loose ball away from his teammate or knock his teammate off of the loose ball? Too many. Someone said that he was afraid to get hurt...really?!...of the 32 starting QBs he is the last one to worry about that. His behavior at the post game press conference- he should have handled himself better, but he is an emotional guy who just lost the biggest football game on the planet.

I'm a happy camper this morning! :)

EDIT: Football withdrawals coming soon! :(

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

patricknd said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

I agree, I lost a lot of respect for him on that one. it's the freakin super bowl and you can dive for it?
Hmmmm do you remember his act back about 4 years ago or 5 can't be exact. Anyhow he basically laid his head down as if to take a nap during one press conference after a game. That and putting the towel on his head and sitting alone during those games says a good deal about his team play. Why would he need to dive for that fumble when he is not a team player.

Of course I know it hurts you and Chris to watch Coach Kubiak win the Superbowl. He brought most of Houston with him including Bum's son the Buffet boy to win a super bowl. Good for them in my opinion. I never thought they could get it done but it was fun to watch.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

Pricey_sky said:
52520Andrew said:
Cam will be fine. There are many worse things than losing in the Super Bowl to one of the all time great NFL defenses and that team is talented enough that they could be back next year even.

Kelvin Benjamin will be a big boost to the offence when he returns from injury next season.

Yeah you can ask Auburn fans all about Kelvin Benjamin(and he had a good rookie year as well). That team is still extremely scary. If there is anything they need to improve on, OT and CB. It is easy to look bad against Ware and Miller but it has been a problem for longer than that on the line and they need someone across from Norman(I think they lock him up). Maybe Benewickere can be that guy as he is coming back from injury as well but they could use that extra depth.

One of the "other" knocks on Cam was that when things weren't going his way, he would get all pouty and petulant. He seemed to have outgrown that during this season, but that may just because the team was winning, because he sure acted like that after losing this game.

Alpe d'Huez said:
How surprising is it that just days ago people were talking about how Carolina would fit into history of the all-time greats?

If Denver would have lost the week 16 game to Cincinnati, they may not have even made the playoffs, think about that.

A lot of pundits, including myself, said the great teams were in the NFC. Carolina, Arizona, Seattle, Green Bay, maybe in that order. Denver eeked out wins over injured Steeler and Patriot teams. I guess those teams were better than we gave credit for.

I was wrong about the Broncos in a lot of ways. I said PM didn't have it anymore and the team would fizzle late in the season. I said Gary Kubiak wasn't as good of a coach as John Fox, and Wade Wilson was riding long coats of nepotism. I also said Carolina was too explosive and Denver couldn't stop Cam, and keep Greg Olson at bay. They did both, perfectly. The better team won this game, no doubt.

I don't like comparing teams of the past to teams of the present. But I do indeed think it's fair to say this Bronco defense is one of the best ever.
Merckx index said:
...and the Ravens in the beginning of this century, though the teams they played were not considered especially strong offensively.
Maybe, maybe not. The Ravens took on the Giants who were 12-4 and the #1 seed in the NFC, coming off blowing out the Vikings out 41-0 in the most lopsided game in NFC Championship history. A lot of experts thought the Giants had the ability to at least move the ball and put some points up on Baltimore's vaunted defense. They could not. They were unable to do anything offensively, and had it not been for a kickoff return, they would have been shut out. They were completely demolished by the Ravens defense, a team that had a poor offense.

Excellent point. That race for the playoffs/division/home field advantage was big. Not that Denver couldn't win on the road, but Andy Dalton (of all people) going down and not playing really hurt the Bengals going forward. The Steelers were injured too, but I felt like a healthy Bengals team would be more of a threat to teams like the Broncos and Patriots. I kept saying at the time, how close Denver would be to not making the playoffs, and they were pretty close to not making it. It's all history now, of course, but I guess you need a bit of fortune sometimes to win the SB, early in the season, late in the season or even during the game itself. It's funny how Peyton couldn't win the big games for much of his career, even with a high powered offense and solid defense, but now he won with a superb D and a not so superb offense (including himself). Having said that, they deserved it, because the Panthers were manhandled and Cam Newton caved it big time.

Being a Hawks fan, I was wary of the Broncos leading up the SB two years ago, but I had a good feeling that a really good Defense would prevail over a really good Offense. Same thing last night. The game last night though (no bias here, honestly) wasn't as good as the one two years ago. Yes, the score was 43-8, but there were plays all around by the Seahawks. From offense to defense and back to defense to offense. The Seahawks were relentless on everything. Von Miller is the man, but the Seahawks D had more versatility and was a little more athletic. They got on top of Manning early and often. The Broncos offense that year was more dangerous than the Panthers offense this year. Manning is a much better QB than Newton.

TRENDING THREADS