• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 328 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Merckx index said:
HWMNBN has filed a grievance against NFL owners, claiming collusion that violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This could be really interesting. It will be very hard to prove, unless some secret emails emerge...?

Two more starting QBs have gone down with injuries, Rodgers and Winston, so there could be some more backup openings.

In other NFL news, halftime stats at Arrowhead:

Total Yards: Pitt 232, KC 6
First Downs: Pitt 16, KC 1

They look like typos, but really aren't.

And are the 49ers the best 0-6 team in history? They've lost five games in a row by 3 points or less. They really could be 5-1 with some reasonable breaks, certainly 3-3.

Yeah the 49ers can't find a break at the moment and of course their kicker Robbie Gould decided to make his first miss of the year today. A team that is deeply in rebuild mode. Benched their QB Hoyer today, Bowman walked during the week, they have a few injuries and they are making mistakes at vital times of the games. At least the penalties dropped off today. Maybe the Cowboys are ripe for an upset next week without Prescott or Elliott ? Youngest team in the NFL but there are positive signs there for the future.

Merckx index said:
HWMNBN has filed a grievance against NFL owners, claiming collusion that violates the Collective Bargaining Agreement. This could be really interesting. It will be very hard to prove, unless some secret emails emerge...?
Indeed, that will be very hard to prove unless there's some written or recorded evidence. We'll see how far this goes.

Re:

Unchained said:
Rogers out for the year with a broken collar bone..ouch

Unless collarbones mend more slowly in football players than in cyclists, it seems to me that Rodgers could return before the end of the regular season. He had the same injury a few years ago, and missed just seven games (though that was on his left, non-throwing side, this apparently is on his right side). The problem is that without him, the team will struggle to make the postseason. But they did it a few years ago, and certainly have a shot again.

Kaepernick's career as a football player is definitely over now, according to this author. No owner will touch him after he's sued them:

https://sports.yahoo.com/colin-kaepernicks-grievance-ends-shot-qb-playing-nfl-065652122.html

In other NFL news, Aaron Hernandez's family is dropping the CTE lawsuit they filed against the NFL, at least for now.

Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
Unchained said:
Rogers out for the year with a broken collar bone..ouch

Unless collarbones mend more slowly in football players than in cyclists, it seems to me that Rodgers could return before the end of the regular season. He had the same injury a few years ago, and missed just seven games (though that was on his left, non-throwing side, this apparently is on his right side). The problem is that without him, the team will struggle to make the postseason. But they did it a few years ago, and certainly have a shot again.

Kaepernick's career as a football player is definitely over now, according to this author. No owner will touch him after he's sued them:

https://sports.yahoo.com/colin-kaepernicks-grievance-ends-shot-qb-playing-nfl-065652122.html

In other NFL news, Aaron Hernandez's family is dropping the CTE lawsuit they filed against the NFL, at least for now.

Kaepernick may have jumped too fast as the QB injuries are starting to rack up but the odds are the result would have been the same and he realizes that so he has acted now. This gives me the impression that the phone is not ringing at all. On the bright side I hear that Vikings QB Teddy Bridgewater is on the mend and may be back sooner than expected.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I just posted my thoughts about MB's statement in the politics thread since the mods want this part of the topic over there. Should we make an NFL Politic thread?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21069553/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-says-job-colin-kaepernick-first-step-moving-ahead-owners
I think that would be a good idea, to make an "NFL Politics" or "The Politics in Sports" thread, that way we're not clogging threads that otherwise would be strictly sport, or strictly politics.

I'll move your post to a new thread that covers all of sports politics, not just the NFL.

"Politics in Sports"

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
jmdirt said:
I just posted my thoughts about MB's statement in the politics thread since the mods want this part of the topic over there. Should we make an NFL Politic thread?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21069553/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-says-job-colin-kaepernick-first-step-moving-ahead-owners
I think that would be a good idea, to make an "NFL Politics" or "The Politics in Sports" thread, that way we're not clogging threads that otherwise would be strictly sport, or strictly politics.

I'll move your post to a new thread that covers all of sports politics, not just the NFL.

"Politics in Sports"
Good idea, thanks!

In refence to the KC - Oakland TNF game, what uniforms are those that the Raiders were wearing? Is it a throwback uniform or an alternate away jersey...and why were the Raiders wearing white at home? (initially I thought the Chiefs were at home and my cable remote guide was wrong, Lol).

Chiefs are cursed worse than the browns. At least you know the browns will suck. For the chiefs to lose that game. They had about 15 chances to win it. I wanted the chiefs to win it ( need someone other than pats and pitsburgh in the super bowl now and again). This felt almost as bad as the falcons in February. Don't even feel like watching football for a month lol

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Colour Rush uniforms

mandatory for all Thursday night games

Only color rush uniforms I've ever liked are the Rainders'. Probably 'cause they do look like their early away jerseys.

jim_otto_1970_12_06.jpg

Alex Smith played well enough (something like 25c/36att, >340 yards passing, 3TD, 0 Int, 127 rating). But KC's defense, one of the worst in the NFL, couldn't stop didly squat. KC wants to blame officiating, but after KC's defense allowed Raiders offense to rack up 32 first downs, KC has no room to blame anyone but themselves. Plus, KC got away with PI in the endzone late in the game.

With bad defense and bad weather coming, things could get ugly for Chiefs in the last half of season. Saw some interesting W/L stats for Alex Smith in good & bad weather over his career, and its not very good in bad weather. We'll see if Smith can break that trend of his.

As for Oakland, props to that comeback even if vs crappy defense. Been a while since I've seen a game decided with no time left in regulation due to (multiple!#) penalties by KC's defense, which invoked the ol rule a game can't end on a penalty.

The mindless Lynch suspended one game for roughing up an official after coming off the bench when KC's Peters was flagged for PF on hit to Carr.

Speculation is growing that Andrew Luck will sit out the entire season, with possible intent to improve their draft position.

Re:

movingtarget said:
I prefer the flow of a game with less huddles.

Roger was the reason I became a *Cowboys fan:
“As players in the huddle, you’re all alone in the middle of the field but together at the same time,” Staubach said. “You see who is hurt, who’s tired or who’s spitting mad. You can take that all in, which can be powerful.”

Jenkins:
“Do you know how much energy I would waste if I had to run back to a huddle after every sprint down the field?” Jenkins said. “That’s why I don’t even try.”

*I'm a Seahawks fan because they are my regional team, and as a kid I used to go to games at the Kingdome with my dad and grandpa, but the Cowboys were my 'other' team.;) We used to watch the Sounders and Mariners there too.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Interesting read. The quote I most liked from a former player, and there were several good ones, about the positive aspects of the huddle:
“There was bonding and a kind of sharing of intensity,” said Oriard, a professor emeritus at Oregon State. “Late in a game, you look around at the faces of your teammates and it’s unspoken, or sometimes spoken: ‘This is our last chance before time runs out.’ It’s a communal experience that will be lost.” (Michael Oriard, a former center with the Kansas City Chiefs, an all-American at Notre Dame and the author of books on football culture, called the huddle a sacred place, because it belonged to the players and not the coaches.)
I'd have added that in the huddle you sometimes get energy from your teammates, which at times can be a positive element contributing to performance. [edit: Like how JMDIRT quoted above from Staubach.]

Last week we talked about Romo being a good talking head. One of my other favorite talking heads is Aikman. Ex-Dallas QBs...

Vic is doing OK on the pregame show too. Part of what I like about him is his voice/tone, and mannerisms are very similar to a SSG from my Army days.

TRENDING THREADS