• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 330 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Irondan said:
BullsFan22 said:
Anyone catch the Seahawks Texans game?? What a back and forth epic! The Seahawks D was shredded by a quite a impressive rookie QB. I knew the Seahawks were going to play better as the game went on, but didn't expect to see them bleeding away so many yards and eventual points!! I also didn't see them scoring that many, even against a suspect Texas D, but this was a sort of a breath of fresh air. Yes the D wasn't good, but it was nice to see Wilson continue his good run of form and the massive yards he had, even against a mediocre at best defense. I was actually ready to think about the next game because I didn't think they'd come back in the last 90 seconds, but some very impressive footwork from Wilson and some fine catches from his receivers did the job. What a job it was! This was almost a carbon copy from two years ago, when the Seahawks beat the Steelers. Same high scoring style of play, lot's of deep passing and whoever had the last possession would win. This sort of game releases pressure from the offense, gives them confidence for the rest of the season and gives the defense a lot of motivation to improve starting next week against a Redskins team that's not played well the last couple games and has some injury problems. I expect the Seahawks to do well from here on out. I don't know how far they'll go, but I don't think they'll multiple games where they struggle. The games against the Rams and Eagles later in the season will be huge, in more ways than one.
I went to the game, which was the wildest NFL game I've ever been to. The last 5 minutes of the game had a playoff feel to it and I feel fortunate to get to see what should be one of the greats in Deshaun Watson. He was spectacular for a rookie to do what the best QB's in the last 15 years could not do to the Seahawks at home in front of that crowd! It was as loud as I've ever heard it during the regular season and the go-ahead touchdown pass to Graham sent the crowd into a frenzy that only the playoffs bring.

Very few people left the building when Houston took the lead late in the fourth quarter which in some degree helped the Hawks get the ball back on a 3rd and 4, a play that the Texans had been converting all day.

Very special day indeed! :)

Lucky you! I am extremely jelly!!

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
IMO top three acquisitions:
SEA got OL help
BUF got a big time target
PHI got some help in the backfield
What did you think of Garoppolo to SF? I thought Garoppolo to SF was a big deal. Even though former Pats backup QBs have not done well on their new teams, I think Garoppolo should do better.

A lot of people think that the Patriots coach will retire when Brady does. Patriots now have to sign at least one back up so maybe Bill B is thinking that Brady lasts for the next season and a half and the deal with the 49ers was going to be the best he could get for Garoppolo. They tried to get a first round pick for him last year and no teams were willing. A second round pick for a QB who has played a handful of games is a good deal especially for the Patriots. The 49ers had nothing to lose, Hoyer was only going to be there short term and the rookie Beathard after two games is still impossible to rate behind a crap O Line. They would have paid much more for Cousins and there must have been doubt that the 49ers would get a deal without paying through the nose for a QB who is unproven at the playoffs. I am in two minds about Cousins, his stats look good but in pressure games he doesn't perform. He is good enough but there are doubts he will get much better.

Garoppolo might be seen as the bigger gamble but the 49ers have so many holes to fill and at least now they don't have to worry about the next draft and a QB unless the wheels fall completely off Garoppolo in the short term. The 49ers already had two second round picks in the next draft and they have plenty of cap space. I think it was worth the gamble but interestingly in the QB ratings after the last draft Garoppolo was rated behind Goff and Wentz, and some of the new QBs this year. Goff and Wentz are starting to live up to the early hype as is Watson. 49ers also traded one of their cornerbacks to the Jets.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
SEA got OL help
What did you think of Garoppolo to SF? I thought Garoppolo to SF was a big deal. Even though former Pats backup QBs have not done well on their new teams, I think Garoppolo should do better.
I based my three picks on moves that will help those teams for the rest of the year, and in the post season. JG is probably a good move for SF if he pans out, but not what I consider a top pick-up for SF to move into playoff contention.

It would be entertaining if SF went 8-8!

jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
SEA got OL help
I based my three picks on moves that will help those teams for the rest of the year, and in the post season. JG is probably a good move for SF if he pans out, but not what I consider a top pick-up for SF to move into playoff contention.

Not going to happen, not even close I don't think. 2-6 at best. Although some are already saying they won't win a game this season. After the past two games I can see why.

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
SEA got OL help

Not going to happen, not even close I don't think. 2-6 at best. Although some are already saying they won't win a game this season. After the past two games I can see why.
I didn't say it would happen, I said that it would be entertaining! :D They actually didn't look too bad until the last few games so maybe they'll get a jolt from the excitement of a new QB, and at least be in games again.

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
SEA got OL help

I didn't say it would happen, I said that it would be entertaining! :D They actually didn't look too bad until the last few games so maybe they'll get a jolt from the excitement of a new QB, and at least be in games again.
That rationale for why you went with those as top 3 makes sense. 8-8 would mean they'd be no pushover and would cause problems for some teams, so yeah, entertaining, which would be better viewing than blowout. Actually I think they could do a bit better than 2-6, maybe 7-9 like Carroll did his first 2 years in Seattle (2010-2011) before going 11-5 in his 3rd year (2012). However in Carroll's first season in Seattle (2010) he made a whopping 284 roster moves (had to look that one up: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ch-other-and-built-a-contender-in-the-process). Shanny probably has a ways to go to match that many roster moves, but maybe SF performance will at least be less frustrating to fans.

Anyway, I'm actually happy for SF they got what so far looks like a legit prospect in Garoppolo for QB. Really happy he does not have to sit another 4-5 year behind Brady. Drafted in 2014, this is now his 4th season in the NFL, all with the Pats.

For the Pats, if Brady gets a season ending injury their house of cards likely come crashing down (since they just signed Hoyer as their backup QB). They could still make playoffs, but going deep in the playoffs would be questionable.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I was hoping that Craft and Belichick would bring CK in just to thumb their nose at things! :eek: :rolleyes: Wouldn't it be crazy...TB goes down, and CK lead them to a SB appearance?! :lol:
Crazy, yes. Wonder what Roger G would say? CK could tell RG 'up your uterus', or something like that. But that grievance filed by CK appears to have sunk his chances of a return this year, or ever, as evidenced by him not getting a contract after all the QB injuries to date.

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
SEA got OL help

Well the 49ers fans would love to be entertained.........soon ! The injuries are partly to blame for the last two results plus the rookie QB was just dropped into a difficult situation. Obviously they were frustrated with Hoyer who is like four seasons in one day in every game ! The rookie Beathard will go back to sitting for the rest of the season which is what should have happened anyway. Jimmy is expected to start in a few weeks after their bye.

Nomad said:

I wonder if Osweiler will be on the move again next year ? Simien was supposed to be terrible last week. Maybe Lynch will get a turn before they draft someone ? I heard that many of the veteran QBs are coming off contract at the end of this season so Denver will have some options. I think there is a good chance that Denver releases all of these QBs before next season.

jmdirt said:
I also am okay with Osweiller getting the start. To an extent I am also in agreement with Adam Shefter they need to find out more about Paxton Lynch, but only if they are out of playoff contention. Going into playoffs it would be unwise to hand the starting job to Lynch unless Brock and Trevor are dead.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
I also am okay with Osweiller getting the start. To an extent I am also in agreement with Adam Shefter they need to find out more about Paxton Lynch, but only if they are out of playoff contention. Going into playoffs it would be unwise to hand the starting job to Lynch unless Brock and Trevor are dead.
I agree with you on Osweiler, and he did do remarkably well in relief of Manning for that 7 game stretch back in 2015, though it's a much different O-line now (4 out of the 5 starters from that SB O-line are gone).

What do you think about the situation with Lynch? Let's assume it's Osweiler the rest of the way, playoffs or not, and Lynch sees no playing time this season. Does he get traded next year as he's going into his 3rd season as a 1st rd QB that has sat the bench his first 2 yrs? And if he stays around next year and is given a chance to compete for the starting job but doesn't win it (was beat out fair & square by Seimein the last 2 seasons), does Elway keep a 1st rd QB hanging around on the bench for a 3rd consecutive season?

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
I agree with you on Osweiler, and he did do remarkably well in relief of Manning for that 7 game stretch back in 2015, though it's a much different O-line now (4 out of the 5 starters from that SB O-line are gone).

What do you think about the situation with Lynch? Let's assume it's Osweiler the rest of the way, playoffs or not, and Lynch sees no playing time this season. Does he get traded next year as he's going into his 3rd season as a 1st rd QB that has sat the bench his first 2 yrs? And if he stays around next year and is given a chance to compete for the starting job but doesn't win it (was beat out fair & square by Seimein the last 2 seasons), does Elway keep a 1st rd QB hanging around on the bench for a 3rd consecutive season?
Tough question. Not an easy answer & there will be lots of opinions. A lot will depend on what the coaches see that we don't see, and the most important thing is whether or not Lynch is showing steady improvement & increasing understanding & command of the offense. The dagger in any player's career is for their development to plateau before they have become developed enough.

The other factor is just how much patience will Denver's coaches, front office including Elway show? Elway SHOULD have a grip on that. But we have seen just how impatient NFL teams can be in recent years, when there's so much pressure to produce now. So let me set up my take with a few examples from the past.

Seattle (cuz I know that history) 1988-1992. Kelly Stouffer, 1st round pick by Arizona in 1987 but held out the entire year in contract dispute. Seattle to his rescue picks him up in 1988. He started out as the #3 QB, but found himself in starting role due to injuries to the other QBs. Underperformed 4 years ending in his release by Seattle in 1992. Bust.

Again Seattle, 1993-1996, enter 1st round, 2nd overall pick Rick Mirer. Won ROY honors, then fell apart. Lasted nearly 10 years in the league, underperforming as a starter, but lasting as journeyman backup.

Both QBs were given about 4 years by Seattle to prove their worth. Keep in mind that was an era when college programs ran pro-style offenses. Spread offenses, RPO, & the current college no-huddle offenses did not exist. By comparison, many of today's college prospects played college under those new offensive schemes, therefore the learning curve for many of today's college QBs is much, much steeper than it was back in the day.

Considering today's learning curve and how much patience teams like Seattle used to show back in the 80's-90's, you would think teams today would show the same amount of patience. I don't know, but teams should. But again, it depends on how much improvement the player is showing, day in day out. What's the work ethic like, etc.

Now lets assume Lynch is really underperforming but showing steady improvement. Does that mean Denver should put total trust in him to become their franchise guy, and not look to other players? Not in my opinion. I say always be looking for that franchise guy, keep looking until you know you've got him, and always compete. But also keep Lynch on the roster another year or two as long as he's improving.

On the flip side, Not Improving == Gone. Done. See ya.

TRENDING THREADS