• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 331 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BullsFan22 said:
Anyone see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndj54mHK6OI&t=130s

I feel sorry for the city of Cleveland, that they have to endure the Browns.
No. That's (the video) heinous. :twisted:

If you were an NFL player, an unrestricted free agent, and could choose the team you wanted to play for, what teams teams would you avoid like the plague?
- For me #1 would be the Browns (bad, inept organization),
- #2 Texans (evil owner is a prison warden),
- #3 Redskins (semi-bad organization; sorry Amsterhammer)

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Unbelievable!...it used to be QBs always sustained injuries during games, now they're getting hurt in practice. I wonder if it's the same knee that he tore the ACL back in 2014 as a Fr. QB at Clemson? Btw, he also tore that ACL during practice. :(

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11955126/clemson-tigers-coach-says-qb-deshaun-watson-playing-torn-acl
I knew a college coach, who was also responsible for overseeing conditioning (not actually developing conditioning programs - the guy developing the workout plans had a college degree in the field), whose belief was that certain injuries injuries could be prevented or be less severe if players would do their workout plan. Some players would come in thinking they knew everything and wanted to do their own plan. The coach would say, "The conditioning guy has a degree in the field and knows a helluva lot more than you, so do the plan!" My point is, it is a real possibility the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which I've heard places restrictions on things like how much time NFL players can be at their teams training facilities for weight lifting, is partly responsible for some of these injuries. Not sure exactly how proper conditioning might prevent ACL injuries, but this book I'm reading ATM "The sweet spot in time" (Blutto suggested), that goes into some medical things about the body & how it works, is mind boggling. And the point with saying that is there's some really deep S! out there some really smart folks understand, and players, NFLPA, owners & the league might want to consult before redoing the CBA.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Unbelievable!...it used to be QBs always sustained injuries during games, now they're getting hurt in practice. I wonder if it's the same knee that he tore the ACL back in 2014 as a Fr. QB at Clemson? Btw, he also tore that ACL during practice. :(

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11955126/clemson-tigers-coach-says-qb-deshaun-watson-playing-torn-acl
I knew a college coach, who was also responsible for overseeing conditioning (not actually developing conditioning programs - the guy developing the workout plans had a college degree in the field), whose belief was that certain injuries injuries could be prevented or be less severe if players would do their workout plan. Some players would come in thinking they knew everything and wanted to do their own plan. The coach would say, "The conditioning guy has a degree in the field and knows a helluva lot more than you, so do the plan!" My point is, it is a real possibility the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which I've heard places restrictions on things like how much time NFL players can be at their teams training facilities for weight lifting, is partly responsible for some of these injuries. Not sure exactly how proper conditioning might prevent ACL injuries, but this book I'm reading ATM "The sweet spot in time" (Blutto suggested), that goes into some medical things about the body & how it works, is mind boggling. And the point with saying that is there's some really deep S! out there some really smart folks understand, and players, NFLPA, owners & the league might want to consult before redoing the CBA.

Interesting.

What are you talking about?

Just when I was thinking that the Bills were a team to watch heading into the second half of the season...

Not just conditioning, but correct conditioning can help reduce/prevent injuries. Connective tissue injuries are the toughest to reduce/prevent, but there are certainly things that can be done (or not done) that help. Non contact injuries always make me wonder if some preventative thing could/should have been done.

@ Hitch: TBH, I don't know any of the medical stuff. In the last collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated by the league office and the players union, in exchange for giving Roger Goodell all the power (for discipline etc) the players got a few perks such as [tho I don't know all the details] reduced practices, practice time, limits on hitting in pads, time limits on how much training/conditioning at team facilities were allowed (wt. room work etc), and time off. At that time I do not believe much thought was given to how these restrictions would affect injury. You may know there has been talk that these "perks" could be partly (tho not completely of course) responsible for the increase in player injuries. So what I was suggesting is that more careful thought and medical science be considered when they go about the process of agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement, particularly those items in the agreement that have to do with conditioning.

So the "best defenses" in the NFL gave up 31 first half points (DEN), and let a team easily dance 70 yards in the closing minutes for the game (SEA). Actually DEN is #2 and SEA is #12 in YPG, and SEA #5 and DEN #25 in PPG. So maybe 'we' should stop talking about how great they are until they play great again. And what's with SEA play calling?! "Hey we found something that really works so let's not do that"! WTH!

PHI looks good. DAL looks good. LA might look good, but they were playing a team giving about 70%.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Kansas City's last play before the half was a beautiful thing.

Dallas played far too softly, and they took advantage of one of the strengths, in a elusive open field runner.

I agree. It was a very nicely worked play, but Dallas were too passive, even in prevent mode.

The Cowboys worked hard to pull out a lead, had a brainfart in the middle of the game, but in the end it was a solid win. The defense has become more solid over the past few weeks after the return of some key players in the front seven.

I don't know who I should be more impressed with, the Eagles or Rams. Both teams playing really well. The Rams crushed the Giants. Yes the Giants have fallen apart this season, but still, the Rams are looking mighty tough at the moment. Their offense is booming. The Eagles as well.

It was refreshing to see the the Lions beat the Packers, even without Rodgers.

What a disappointing game for the Seahawks. This loss could haunt them later on, whether it's for the wild card or for home field advantage. Walsh misses three field goals, 138 yards worth of penalties, one too many drops (ok, it was wet, so they have a bit of an excuse there...), they moved the ball better than the Redskins (almost 200 yards more in total offense and more possession-naturally...) and they lost. That last score for the Skins was so unlike the Seattle D that everyone has admired the last 6 seasons. Long drive that hardly took much time. They have a short turnaround now with the Cards (on the road) this Thursday. Could be two losses in a row if they aren't careful. I think they need to win this next game. It's crucial, because if they lose again and the Rams win, that's two games to the good for the Rams and despite the Seahawks having an easier schedule, it's more pressure on them.

BullsFan22 said:
I don't know who I should be more impressed with, the Eagles or Rams. Both teams playing really well. The Rams crushed the Giants. Yes the Giants have fallen apart this season, but still, the Rams are looking mighty tough at the moment. Their offense is booming. The Eagles as well.

What a disappointing game for the Seahawks. This loss could haunt them later on, whether it's for the wild card or for home field advantage. Walsh misses three field goals, 138 yards worth of penalties, one too many drops (ok, it was wet, so they have a bit of an excuse there...), they moved the ball better than the Redskins (almost 200 yards more in total offense and more possession-naturally...) and they lost. That last score for the Skins was so unlike the Seattle D that everyone has admired the last 6 seasons. Long drive that hardly took much time. They have a short turnaround now with the Cards (on the road) this Thursday. Could be two losses in a row if they aren't careful. I think they need to win this next game. It's crucial, because if they lose again and the Rams win, that's two games to the good for the Rams and despite the Seahawks having an easier schedule, it's more pressure on them.

Has Walsh still got a job ? He didn't just miss, he missed by miles. He seemed to be rattled after missing the first one. Redskins got away with one. I can't see the Cardinals beating the Hawks at all. The Cardinals are probably a season away from doing what the 49ers are currently doing with the rebuild. McVay certainly has the Rams offense firing, I was actually hoping the 49ers signed him instead of Shanahan, he has certainly turned Goff around this year and Gurley is back to his best as well after a mediocre season last year.

movingtarget said:
BullsFan22 said:

Has Walsh still got a job ? He didn't just miss, he missed by miles. He seemed to be rattled after missing the first one. Redskins got away with one. I can't see the Cardinals beating the Hawks at all. The Cardinals are probably a season away from doing what the 49ers are currently doing with the rebuild. McVay certainly has the Rams offense firing, I was actually hoping the 49ers signed him instead of Shanahan, he has certainly turned Goff around this year and Gurley is back to his best as well after a mediocre season last year.
Definately the Eagles and Wentz are a team to be impressed with, but I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey).

As for Seattle's kicker, he still has a job if only by a thread. The short week (3 days, M-Tu-W) may have been the only thing keeping that thread intact though. If he struggles Thursday night vs the Cards then with the longer week ahead I won't be surprised if they cut him.

As for Seattle in general, they might still be fine depending on the next 3 games. I was more interested in what Pete Carroll had to say about the offensive line play, in particular about the penalties (5 total in the last game that particularly troubled Pete). Pete was positive when discussing LT (Brown- very consistent) and LG (Posic- worked well with Brown), but harsh on the right side (knowing when to release from blocks when Russ starts running around). Pete said he's surprised this group is not farther along in that respect. That comment is aimed at the players but also line coach Tom Cable.

on3m@n@rmy said:
...I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey)...
so either the new coaching set up is awesome, OR the side had the talent and wasn't that far off doing well, but was completely mismanaged under Fisher...
They've made quite a few acquisitions, and for it to gel so well so soon suggests that McVay really did his homework in what holes needed to be plugged. Watkins and Kupp as a prime examples, although he made some good pick ups in the backroom too... That said, it also seems fairly clear that the rest really weren't being led properly by Fisher, and just needed pushing in the right direction/way to really preform well together

Archibald said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
...I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey)...
so either the new coaching set up is awesome, OR the side had the talent and wasn't that far off doing well, but was completely mismanaged under Fisher...
They've made quite a few acquisitions, and for it to gel so well so soon suggests that McVay really did his homework in what holes needed to be plugged. Watkins and Kupp as a prime examples, although he made some good pick ups in the backroom too... That said, it also seems fairly clear that the rest really weren't being led properly by Fisher, and just needed pushing in the right direction/way to really preform well together
Well said. I see it as both acquisitions and new coaching as reasons for the turnaround. Kupp was perhaps the steal of the draft. Upgrades to the OL were important to both the running and passing games. So offensive talent has improved since Fisher. Now, would the defensive-minded Fisher made the same upgrades to offensive players? Meh, it's just speculation but probably not. But even if Fisher had recognized and gone after those offensive upgrades I do not think he would have gotten the most out of Goff as the offensive-minded McVey has.

And as for Fisher, the way the Rams offense and Goff are performing at the moment, if I was a GM I would not touch Fisher for a HC job. But I can see Fisher as a defensive coordinator.

Re:

jmdirt said:
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21342623/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-threatens-sue-nfl-roger-goodell
Not that I like Goodell, but is Jones simply off his rocker? Wouldn't he essentially be suing the owners? Per the article:
Jones is exploring whether a requirement that two-thirds of owners must approve a commissioner's contract could be increased to three-fourths of owners.
This implies Jones would try to buck the owners if they approved Goodell's contract. The backlash to Jones is that Jones ends up on the bad side of the majority of team owners. I don't see that as a healthy situation for Jerry to be in.

Listened to a very interesting situation discussed on Cowherd today. It starts with a list of NFL head coaches who may be on the bubble. Such as Browns HC Hue Jackson, who has about 30 years coaching experience, 16 of which has been since 2001 in the NFL. Now keep in mind, the Browns organization once fired Bill Belichick who was their head coach from 1991-95. Browns and wise organizational decision making is a good oxymoron. The point Colin Cowherd made was: "BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU FIRE AN NFL HEAD COACH, BECAUSE WHO ARE YOU GOING TO REPLACE HIM WITH". The interesting part is why be careful. Over the past 10 years, college head coaches are getting paid as equal or better than many NFL head coaches, and for less stress and headache. Alabama HC Sabin: $9M/year, Washington Huskies Chris Petersen: ~$5M. So, less incentive for coaches to jump from college to NFL, and more incentive for NFL coordinators to jump to college HC positions. The result, a decrease in the talent pool for NFL HC positions.

Other than that, the Browns would be fools to axe Hue Jackson at this point. So, I won't be surprised if that happens next off-season.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Listened to a very interesting situation discussed on Cowherd today. It starts with a list of NFL head coaches who may be on the bubble. Such as Browns HC Hue Jackson, who has about 30 years coaching experience, 16 of which has been since 2001 in the NFL. Now keep in mind, the Browns organization once fired Bill Belichick who was their head coach from 1991-95. Browns and wise organizational decision making is a good oxymoron. The point Colin Cowherd made was: "BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU FIRE AN NFL HEAD COACH, BECAUSE WHO ARE YOU GOING TO REPLACE HIM WITH". The interesting part is why be careful. Over the past 10 years, college head coaches are getting paid as equal or better than many NFL head coaches, and for less stress and headache. Alabama HC Sabin: $9M/year, Washington Huskies Chris Petersen: ~$5M. So, less incentive for coaches to jump from college to NFL, and more incentive for NFL coordinators to jump to college HC positions. The result, a decrease in the talent pool for NFL HC positions.

Other than that, the Browns would be fools to axe Hue Jackson at this point. So, I won't be surprised if that happens next off-season.

Someone will pay for the recent transfer charade but not the coach. I think Jackson will get another season. Shanahan will get another season to at least show some improvement while the Giants coach could be in serious trouble as that was unexpected unlike the Browns and 49ers. A few others are probably on the borderline such as the coaches from the Bengals and the Colts.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Archibald said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well said. I see it as both acquisitions and new coaching as reasons for the turnaround. Kupp was perhaps the steal of the draft. Upgrades to the OL were important to both the running and passing games. So offensive talent has improved since Fisher. Now, would the defensive-minded Fisher made the same upgrades to offensive players? Meh, it's just speculation but probably not. But even if Fisher had recognized and gone after those offensive upgrades I do not think he would have gotten the most out of Goff as the offensive-minded McVey has.

And as for Fisher, the way the Rams offense and Goff are performing at the moment, if I was a GM I would not touch Fisher for a HC job. But I can see Fisher as a defensive coordinator.
I doubt Fisher would have picked up Greg Olson - QB coach - who's got to be a big part of helping Goff. And Olson's not new to getting QB's to shine - Bortles and Carr being two of them.
Likely that Lafleur's had a hand in Goff's rise too, and not someone that Fisher may have brought in either.

Can see Fisher heading in that direction too. He's definitely not a HC, but agree with you on the defensive coordinator.
On the topic of defensive coordinators, McVay bringing in Wade Phillips wasn't exactly a bad move. Suggests he (McVay) isn't purely about offense?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...7cd204-c57b-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html
Aaron Hernandez suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age, damage that would have significantly affected his decision-making, judgment and cognition, researchers at Boston University revealed at a medical conference Thursday.

Ann McKee, the head of BU’s CTE Center, which has studied the disease caused by repetitive brain trauma for more than a decade, called Hernandez’s brain “one of the most significant contributions to our work” because of the brain’s pristine condition and the rare opportunity to study the disease in a 27-year-old.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, hanged himself with a bedsheet in April in a Massachusetts prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd in 2013.
There were abnormal, large holes in parts of Hernandez’s brain.

Sherman out for the season after rupturing the Achilles tendon that has been bothering him all season. That is such a loss for the Seahawks and first and foremost devastating for Sherman. I hope he has a successful surgery and comes back strong next season! The team will miss his presence, though I think it's not the end of the world for them. However, the injuries are adding up. It seems like half of the team is carrying some sort of injury and the other half is battered and bruised. A lot has been said about axing TNF. I think it should have been axed a while ago. Whether you have injuries or not, that is simply not enough time to recover and get ready. I never played a competitive American football game in my life, so I have no idea how it feels with all the banging, tackling, pulling, but to me, Sherman should have sat this game out. It's a short week, you have an Achilles problem that's been bothering you all season, was it really worth it to get out there against the Cards? Yes he played well all things considered, but I'd rather him miss one game than the entire season.

TRENDING THREADS