• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 371 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
Hunt is clearly a chicken sh*t and there is no excuse for his behavior. I wouldn't want him on my team. That being said, would you lose your job for this incident? I don't think that most employers would fire an employee for domestic events away from work. Would other companies avoid one of the best engineers because he was seen on camera assaulting someone?

This will be tough for KC to overcome.

Has the White House bashed your employer? The employees? Has your brand and all associated lost significant positive cultural position in @5 years?
In aerospace and DOD contracting work.. domestic violence,DWI and other offenses can cause the loss of a security clearance all together or a downgrade..and lose of your job..significant changes in your credit rating report..loss of clearance..again you get tossed into file 13....
Any contracting for large public and private school projects often have " standing stable " tests..you have to include at the very least resumes of employees and possible employees to show your companies ability to fulfill the contract..Facebook,Twitter or Instagram inappropriateness can disqualify your bid...red Solo cups, pictured consumption of alcohol or drugs,nudity,ect..you can get you canned or not get the chance initially..
Running HR joke is companies bid for the work and many include the exact same resumes as part of their possible employee pool...in DOD work if you have a current clearance you often get preference..

I really think Merk's post including a little about Redskins Reuben Foster is worth a look..the 49ers tossed him..and Doug Williams..who was a black QB before it was in fashion has gone to bat for Foster..the NFL is trying..
used to be Andy Reid or Tony Dungy were guys to try and rehab past fvck ups..so if there is a way for a coach or front office guy to salvage something I am all for it..if for no other ultra negative reasoning..if there are damaged victims they stand better chance of some kind of financial correction if the offender is employed..and as a professional athlete..probably better overall for everyone..
Anyway what you know about football with that blue astroturf...!!!!
Does your new pup watch the games w you? Does the dog have a favorite team?
Go Broncos!!!! Boise Broncos....

What makes this week's games interesting is many of the better, or favored teams, are on the road.

BAL@ATL - Picked better overall team. Falcons have no defense. Flacco likely out, but that's not a bad thing.
CAR@TB - Better overall team, without question.
CHI@NYG - Better overall team (am I repeating myself?!)
BUF@MIA - Allen may be the Bills best QB, but Miami is better, and at home.
IND@JAX - Jags to start Cody Kessler. Can't play much worse than Bortles.
CLE@HOU - Browns lose yet another close one, but expect a battle.
DEN@CIN - Jeff Driskel starts for Bengals. Maybe they should have kept McCarron.
LAR@DET - Could be a trap, but the Rams are just better.
ARI@GB - As bumpy as it's been for the Packers, relief is here.
KC@OAK - Hunt or no Hunt, Chiefs get easy win for hapless Raiders.
NYJ@TEN - A win for Titans when they need it.
SF@SEA - Seattle is on a roll, and the Niners can't stop that.
MIN@NE - While the Vikings are playing better, they won't win in Foxboro.
LAC@PIT - This should be a close game. The Steelers rarely lose at home though.
WAS@PHI - Philly is at home, and deeper, if not playing consistently well.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
What makes this week's games interesting is many of the better, or favored teams, are on the road.

BAL@ATL - Picked better overall team. Falcons have no defense. Flacco likely out, but that's not a bad thing.
CAR@TB - Better overall team, without question.
CHI@NYG - Better overall team (am I repeating myself?!)
BUF@MIA - Allen may be the Bills best QB, but Miami is better, and at home.
IND@JAX - Jags to start Cody Kessler. Can't play much worse than Bortles.
CLE@HOU - Browns lose yet another close one, but expect a battle.
DEN@CIN - Jeff Driskel starts for Bengals. Maybe they should have kept McCarron.
LAR@DET - Could be a trap, but the Rams are just better.
ARI@GB - As bumpy as it's been for the Packers, relief is here.
KC@OAK - Hunt or no Hunt, Chiefs get easy win for hapless Raiders.
NYJ@TEN - A win for Titans when they need it.
SF@SEA - Seattle is on a roll, and the Niners can't stop that.
MIN@NE - While the Vikings are playing better, they won't win in Foxboro.
LAC@PIT - This should be a close game. The Steelers rarely lose at home though.
WAS@PHI - Philly is at home, and deeper, if not playing consistently well.

I thought that Driskel showed some promise at the 49ers but they cut him anyway. Be interesting to see how he goes.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Rumors swirling around, about Jim Harbaugh for the Packers job.

I think this could solve most problems in football and baseball..you have a strikeout crisis..slow play is causing problems on TV and putting fans to sleep?
Make a rule that the starting pitcher has to be 50+ years old!!problems solved..it will be a slug fest!!the ball in play by every batter..
Football..Same age rule..Jim Harbaugh as your starter..deeper shotguns..loads of passing!! Plus any rush will cause hurried throws..load of fumbles..interceptions and hail Mary type stuff..loads of defensive points..
Why stop there? NFL.. sick of the ball getting booted over the end line?Has the big run back happened less as kickers get a flatter trajectory,longer distance ball?
Mandate kicker age to 40,45,50..whatever..just old..kickoffs not making it to the 10 big run backs! Extra points..no longer automatic..more blocked kicks..again more defense scoring..

Brady will be monitored..he will be in limbo while they wait for him to get old enough to play again..Farve and others given a second chance at stardom...can't wait to see Our Warner again!!
Old guys rule t-shirts everywhere!!!

Everything surrounding the Hunt situation is disturbing. The attack was disturbing. The lies were disturbing. The police not charging him and withholding the evidence is quite disturbing as well.

Some big games tomorrow. The race for the no 1 seed in both conferences will go down to the wire, IMO. With Hunt out, KC loses a BIG part of their offense. I expect them to do ok for the time being, but not sure what they'll do after that. The Patriots face the Vikings in a big game. The Patriots are almost shoed in for the playoffs, but the top seed and home field is still within their grasp, so no way will they coast, particularly not at home. That spells trouble for a Vikings team that still isn't what most thought they'd be prior to the season. The division isn't lost yet, but the Bears are clearly the best in the NFC north. Trubisky is out for them for now, but their D is good enough to keep them in most games. Quite a few people are saying the Packers are going to call it a season after some lackluster play and some bad luck on top of it. They are not out of it either, but they'll essentially have to win out if they want to make the playoffs. Actually that may be the case for the teams ahead of them as well. The Eagles are not good at the moment, but the NFC east is a toss up, even with the Cowboys winning against the Saints. The Panthers lost three in a row and they have to quickly regroup or this train will leave without them. The Seahawks are, IMO, the most dangerous team that's lurking. They have a favorable schedule (two games vs the 49ers and one against the Cards), 4/5 at home and play improving. It's too early to tell what record gets a team a playoff berth, particularly a wild card, as that's as congested as its ever been, but there could be a case where the NFL will have to use various tie breaking procedures to determine who goes on.

BullsFan22 said:
Everything surrounding the Hunt situation is disturbing. The attack was disturbing. The lies were disturbing. The police not charging him and withholding the evidence is quite disturbing as well.

Some big games tomorrow. The race for the no 1 seed in both conferences will go down to the wire, IMO. With Hunt out, KC loses a BIG part of their offense. I expect them to do ok for the time being, but not sure what they'll do after that. The Patriots face the Vikings in a big game. The Patriots are almost shoed in for the playoffs, but the top seed and home field is still within their grasp, so no way will they coast, particularly not at home. That spells trouble for a Vikings team that still isn't what most thought they'd be prior to the season. The division isn't lost yet, but the Bears are clearly the best in the NFC north. Trubisky is out for them for now, but their D is good enough to keep them in most games. Quite a few people are saying the Packers are going to call it a season after some lackluster play and some bad luck on top of it. They are not out of it either, but they'll essentially have to win out if they want to make the playoffs. Actually that may be the case for the teams ahead of them as well. The Eagles are not good at the moment, but the NFC east is a toss up, even with the Cowboys winning against the Saints. The Panthers lost three in a row and they have to quickly regroup or this train will leave without them. The Seahawks are, IMO, the most dangerous team that's lurking. They have a favorable schedule (two games vs the 49ers and one against the Cards), 4/5 at home and play improving. It's too early to tell what record gets a team a playoff berth, particularly a wild card, as that's as congested as its ever been, but there could be a case where the NFL will have to use various tie breaking procedures to determine who goes on.

The Cowboys seemed to have timed their run nicely but a lot of people still seem to have doubts about Prescott in the playoffs. Seattle seem well positioned at the moment. Wonder if the Texans can keep the momentum going ?

Re: Re:

Unchained said:
jmdirt said:
Hunt is clearly a chicken sh*t and there is no excuse for his behavior. I wouldn't want him on my team. That being said, would you lose your job for this incident? I don't think that most employers would fire an employee for domestic events away from work. Would other companies avoid one of the best engineers because he was seen on camera assaulting someone?

Has the White House bashed your employer? The employees? Has your brand and all associated lost significant positive cultural position in @5 years?
In aerospace and DOD contracting work.. domestic violence,DWI and other offenses can cause the loss of a security clearance all together or a downgrade..and lose of your job..significant changes in your credit rating report..loss of clearance..again you get tossed into file 13....
Any contracting for large public and private school projects often have " standing stable " tests..you have to include at the very least resumes of employees and possible employees to show your companies ability to fulfill the contract..Facebook,Twitter or Instagram inappropriateness can disqualify your bid...red Solo cups, pictured consumption of alcohol or drugs,nudity,ect..you can get you canned or not get the chance initially..
Running HR joke is companies bid for the work and many include the exact same resumes as part of their possible employee pool...in DOD work if you have a current clearance you often get preference..

I really think Merk's post including a little about Redskins Reuben Foster is worth a look..the 49ers tossed him..and Doug Williams..who was a black QB before it was in fashion has gone to bat for Foster..the NFL is trying..
used to be Andy Reid or Tony Dungy were guys to try and rehab past fvck ups..so if there is a way for a coach or front office guy to salvage something I am all for it..if for no other ultra negative reasoning..if there are damaged victims they stand better chance of some kind of financial correction if the offender is employed..and as a professional athlete..probably better overall for everyone..
IF you are convicted. I'm going to stop there though because I don't want to sound like I'm defending a dude who I would like to see get kicked in the testis daily for the next few years.
The new dog is a Seahawks fan of course!
OT: the blue fieldturf was white last night and BSU lost the conference title for FRESU.

jmdirt said:
Unchained said:
jmdirt said:

IF you are convicted. I'm going to stop there though because I don't want to sound like I'm defending a dude who I would like to see get kicked in the testis daily for the next few years.
The new dog is a Seahawks fan of course!
OT: the blue fieldturf was white last night and BSU lost the conference title for FRESU.

The Foster situation was a weird one but not uncommon I would think. Came out of college with a rap for weed and a dodgy shoulder and big reputation for his football. His ex girlfriend accused him of domestic violence then retracted the statement in court and accused another previous boyfriend unnamed of causing her injuries, oddly she named Foster as the abuser from the start and the member of the public that originally helped her stated she was in a blind panic. She also accused him of cruelty to her dog, he also had trouble with gun permits whereby Californian laws were different to Alabama.

Now the not so ex girlfriend has accused him again. He showed flashes of brilliance in between the ongoing injuries and the 49ers still believed in him and could not have done more for him short of having a chaperone sleeping in his room every night. He was getting regular visits from the team's pastor and a social worker and the 49ers organization were doing everything possible to help him. In hindsight it's obvious that the shoulder issue was much worse than expected as were the behavioral issues. The 49ers ultimately made the right decision. Washington are welcome to him. His former team showed a lot more patience and faith than many other teams would have. Just another flawed talent.

Dirt because of my sloppy style let me be clear..I am prepared to defend Hunt and Foster..if they have problems..flaws in current or past behaviors..I believe our breed..our species is capable of correction..a stolen TV or car DWI or pot or blow bust shouldn't be a life sentence..in my narrow opinion of course..
These young men( a factor in my opinion) have fvcked.up..there should be a multi faceted correction..
These young men..whoever should not be human trash until death because of stupidity and criminal trip ups that may..just guessing..all they have known..but there are schools for driving,cooking,hair cutting,software..ice sculpture..medicine..including cutting people apart and putting them back w repaired or different parts..so being dumb and angry and acting out..can be changed..in my opinion..
So maybe..and never in my wildest dreams..could the NFL be where America goes for a start on police violence..justice reform..domestic violence prevention and breast cancer awareness and cure..
Seau was my favorite..in my lifetime..so if pro football is a pathway to knowledge about depression..head injury..spousal abuse..anything about kids..the awesome work from groups like United Way..I will keep watching..it may be the long way around..but if young men..or anybody can come to realize a life were beating women..or anybody else is wrong..sign me up..
I will watch the slow motion Adrian Peterson ...Gatorade video...I think he is healed..

SHAD0W93 said:
Koronin said:
3 consecutive off-sides on a field goal attempt at the end of the game. Really? Obviously they need to work on that.

I feel like that was their attempt to ice the kicker because he is a rookie.

Yeah it was deliberate I think. The last one jumped so early he almost was past the kicker. Good to see the Chargers win a close one cause they have lost a lot of close games in recent times. Good victory for them.

Packers coach is gone as was rumored. Probably only the first.

Koronin said:
SHAD0W93 said:
Koronin said:
3 consecutive off-sides on a field goal attempt at the end of the game. Really? Obviously they need to work on that.

I feel like that was their attempt to ice the kicker because he is a rookie.

You may be right, but obviously not a smart idea.

Agree because you don't know when to stop going offsides and let him kick.

I read an article about it being a strategy in madden that is used when field goals are a gimmie so they believed the Steelers used it here.

Stinks for McCarthy being fired as I believe the Packers are dysfunctional on many levels including quarterback. Ironic if he does a Farve and goes to a team in the division. As a dolphins fan, I am surprised the Packers named Philbin as their interim head coach.

Well it was basically a choice of Philbin or Pettine, (the two co-coordinators) for the interim spot.

Both have a few years of head coaching, neither really were excellent at it (hence they both came back to the co-coordinator role).

I would be amazed if he does anything other than see out the season.

Not shocked by McCarthy's dismissal. It's been rumored for some time. I read where one player said the whole team has issues though, and a lot of people have the attitude that Aaron Rodgers will just bail them out of every problem. Nobody is that good.

I saw the full Hunt video, and I don't care what she said to him, both women, he was completely wrong. Just ugly. Should he get another shot? Maybe. Michael Vick did, and look at what he did.

Really nice win for the Chargers.

Biggest surprise to me this weekend was the Colts inability to score a single point against the Jaguars.

Anyone hear about the Cowboy support staff roaming the Saints sidelines this past week? Interesting? No?

Here's the story. Apparently the mystery man was part of the Cowboys entertainment staff to help coordinate time outs. But Saints fans wonder why he often stood close or right behind Sean Payton. Saints aren't commenting.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5192327/mystery-solved-cowboys-address-staffer-on-new-orleans-saints-sideline-during-thursday-night-football/

So, Washington loses Alex Smith and Colt McCoy steps in. Needing a backup, and unafraid of controversy (after all, they signed Reuben Foster), they then talk to Colin Kaeper... I mean Mark Sanchez, who hadn't thrown a pass in a couple of years, and hadn't won a game in four seasons. In fact, most fans would agree that aside from playing a couple decent seasons for the Jets when they had a stellar defense, and playing a few okay games for the Eagles, he's pretty much sucked since about 2010. But they sign him anyway. Now, Colt McCoy gets hurt and the Redskins come to their senses and at least bring in Kaeperni... wait, they don't. They sign...Josh Johnson? Johnson, who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in seven years. When he did play, he was 0-5 with a 54% completion rating, and a 57% passer rating. He threw 5 TD's and 10 Ints.

I think Richard Sherman said it well, it's not like Colin is out there beating women, he didn't try to kill anyone, he's not a drug user, he never even broke the law, nothing of the sort. He sat down during the national anthem as a personal protest (and didn't say anything, others just noticed), and answered social-political questions when asked. Granted, a fair amount of his statements were sharp and pointed, some out of left field. But NFL teams are so upset with that, so worried about that, they'll hire guys who give them almost zero chance to win? Or guys who abuse women, use guns, do drugs, kill dogs, etc. but won't even talk to Kaepernick?

At this point I can only conclude that NFL owners are accepting that they will lose their collusion case that Kaepernick filed, and are ready to eat the money on it, even though it's likely to collectively cost them upwards of $100m.

JAX@TEN - Ignore Jacksonville's win over the Colts. Indy had won a few games of late, but against weak competition, the Jags still have no offense, but at least Bortles has been benched. Tennessee is a balanced team who beat the Jags in Jacksonville earlier in the season and should win handily. In fact, Jacksonville hasn't beaten Tennessee in over 700 days now.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
...Now, Colt McCoy gets hurt and the Redskins come to their senses and at least bring in Kaeperni... wait, they don't. They sign...Josh Johnson? Johnson, who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in seven years. When he did play, he was 0-5 with a 54% completion rating, and a 57% passer rating. He threw 5 TD's and 10 Ints. ...

So I'm guessing this doesn't tie in very well with these statements?

Gruden insisted it was purely a sporting decision, adding: "Just football, strictly football. When you're talking about a back-up quarterback this late in the game, you want someone with a similar skill-set to the quarterback you have.

"Not that Colin can't do some of the things we've talked about, but we want someone with a little more familiarity."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/46453066

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Here's the story. Apparently the mystery man was part of the Cowboys entertainment staff to help coordinate time outs. But Saints fans wonder why he often stood close or right behind Sean Payton. Saints aren't commenting.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5192327/mystery-solved-cowboys-address-staffer-on-new-orleans-saints-sideline-during-thursday-night-football/

So, Washington loses Alex Smith and Colt McCoy steps in. Needing a backup, and unafraid of controversy (after all, they signed Reuben Foster), they then talk to Colin Kaeper... I mean Mark Sanchez, who hadn't thrown a pass in a couple of years, and hadn't won a game in four seasons. In fact, most fans would agree that aside from playing a couple decent seasons for the Jets when they had a stellar defense, and playing a few okay games for the Eagles, he's pretty much sucked since about 2010. But they sign him anyway. Now, Colt McCoy gets hurt and the Redskins come to their senses and at least bring in Kaeperni... wait, they don't. They sign...Josh Johnson? Johnson, who hasn't thrown a pass in the NFL in seven years. When he did play, he was 0-5 with a 54% completion rating, and a 57% passer rating. He threw 5 TD's and 10 Ints.

I think Richard Sherman said it well, it's not like Colin is out there beating women, he didn't try to kill anyone, he's not a drug user, he never even broke the law, nothing of the sort. He sat down during the national anthem as a personal protest (and didn't say anything, others just noticed), and answered social-political questions when asked. Granted, a fair amount of his statements were sharp and pointed, some out of left field. But NFL teams are so upset with that, so worried about that, they'll hire guys who give them almost zero chance to win? Or guys who abuse women, use guns, do drugs, kill dogs, etc. but won't even talk to Kaepernick?

At this point I can only conclude that NFL owners are accepting that they will lose their collusion case that Kaepernick filed, and are ready to eat the money on it, even though it's likely to collectively cost them upwards of $100m.

JAX@TEN - Ignore Jacksonville's win over the Colts. Indy had won a few games of late, but against weak competition, the Jags still have no offense, but at least Bortles has been benched. Tennessee is a balanced team who beat the Jags in Jacksonville earlier in the season and should win handily. In fact, Jacksonville hasn't beaten Tennessee in over 700 days now.

The email records should be enough to get Kaepernick over the line in his case. No doubt there was plenty of chatter going one. The Washington coach was taken to task for not signing Kaep at least in one article I read, after Alex Smith went down. Presumably Reid got signed because he was the milder of the two and wasn't going to cost much while Kaep just kept talking to the press.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Why sign Johnson over TJ Yates whom they were also talking to? At least Yates has thrown a pass in the NFL more recently.

I don't buy that Kaepernick doesn't fit a system. Well, I buy it a little, ideally you do want your backups to be similar to your starters, but that wasn't really the case last year with Wentz and Foles in Philly. And when Carson went down, the Eagles staff re-worked their playbook to fit how Foles played best, mostly RPO's and quick strike passes. We all know how well that turned out (as in Super Bowl win, and a Super Bowl MVP for Foles, just in case you forgot). So the argument only holds water for so far.

I've also heard the argument that it's hard to gameplan around Kaepernick's style. That I also believe in, he isn't the best at progressions, and when anything breaks down, he's not great at moving within the pocket, often just running. He's done this since college. Never the less, he's also been fairly successful anyway. Certainly more successful than Johnson, Sanchez, etc. etc.

I have to wonder if a) At this point people even remember much of anything he actually said or, or even pays attention to what he says. The Nike ad got attention, but it's not like he's quoted very often by much of anyone. They talk about what he did, far more than what he's doing.

I recall him wearing the pig socks at one press conference. I also recall him wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt, I think in Miami, which confused and upset a lot of people, but it mostly traces back to one statement.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

That created a firestorm that went beyond the NFL. In fact, it was criticized by some, lauded by a few. Alejandro Villanueva was somewhat upset by it, saying what he fought for gave Colin the right to say that, reminding people he too was a minority.

But I looked at his Twitter account, and he's mostly just retweeting things about social justice, supporting Eric Reid of late, and encouraging people, often to get educated. I'd venture to say what he's been tweeting, or re-tweeting has been pretty tame. In fact, some of it's been fairly positive. Thanking Tommy Smith & John Carlos for their stance in the 1968 Olympics. Thanking Harvard for giving him the W.E.B DuBois medal (DuBois was one of the founders of the NAACP and a labor rights activist in the early and mid 20th century). Talk about supporting poor people, etc.

So, if a team signed Kaepernick, the fear must be that he'd be such a distraction, it would take away from management's ability to function well. He's more well known than any team owner, GM or coach, and more outspoken than just about any except maybe Jerry Jones. But I wonder just exactly why no team could come to an amicable deal with Colin where when he's wearing team colors, he tries his best to talk about football, while saying that he can talk about, Tweet about anything he wants on his own time. Has anyone even approached him about this or something similar? Would that really be impossible? And if he said something in a press conference, wearing a jersey, what could he say that would be so disastrous?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't buy that Kaepernick doesn't fit a system. Well, I buy it a little, ideally you do want your backups to be similar to your starters, but that wasn't really the case last year with Wentz and Foles in Philly. And when Carson went down, the Eagles staff re-worked their playbook to fit how Foles played best, mostly RPO's and quick strike passes. We all know how well that turned out (as in Super Bowl win, and a Super Bowl MVP for Foles, just in case you forgot). So the argument only holds water for so far.

I've also heard the argument that it's hard to gameplan around Kaepernick's style. That I also believe in, he isn't the best at progressions, and when anything breaks down, he's not great at moving within the pocket, often just running. He's done this since college. Never the less, he's also been fairly successful anyway. Certainly more successful than Johnson, Sanchez, etc. etc.

I have to wonder if a) At this point people even remember much of anything he actually said or, or even pays attention to what he says. The Nike ad got attention, but it's not like he's quoted very often by much of anyone. They talk about what he did, far more than what he's doing.

I recall him wearing the pig socks at one press conference. I also recall him wearing a Fidel Castro t-shirt, I think in Miami, which confused and upset a lot of people, but it mostly traces back to one statement.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

That created a firestorm that went beyond the NFL. In fact, it was criticized by some, lauded by a few. Alejandro Villanueva was somewhat upset by it, saying what he fought for gave Colin the right to say that, reminding people he too was a minority.

But I looked at his Twitter account, and he's mostly just retweeting things about social justice, supporting Eric Reid of late, and encouraging people, often to get educated. I'd venture to say what he's been tweeting, or re-tweeting has been pretty tame. In fact, some of it's been fairly positive. Thanking Tommy Smith & John Carlos for their stance in the 1968 Olympics. Thanking Harvard for giving him the W.E.B DuBois medal (DuBois was one of the founders of the NAACP and a labor rights activist in the early and mid 20th century). Talk about supporting poor people, etc.

So, if a team signed Kaepernick, the fear must be that he'd be such a distraction, it would take away from management's ability to function well. He's more well known than any team owner, GM or coach, and more outspoken than just about any except maybe Jerry Jones. But I wonder just exactly why no team could come to an amicable deal with Colin where when he's wearing team colors, he tries his best to talk about football, while saying that he can talk about, Tweet about anything he wants on his own time. Has anyone even approached him about this or something similar? Would that really be impossible? And if he said something in a press conference, wearing a jersey, what could he say that would be so disastrous?

Yeah pretty much agree. Kaep stopped making statements to the press long ago and was smart enough to know it wasn't helping him. The T shirt killed his chances in Florida where I thought he did have a chance of being signed, as for the socks well the cops wouldn't have liked it much but they are used to such things anyway albeit not from sporting stars maybe, but it was probably another nail in the coffin as far as the flag wavers were concerned. The kneeling will be remembered long after the silly statements of course and the fact that others took it up in the same form or otherwise made the owners pay attention and the media kept hammering at it.

His final season at the 49ers, a 2-14 season for a dead man walking coach and an owner desperate for results wasn't as bad as many make out. The team had no receivers, awful defense, injury riddled, a new head coach and DC who were both let go, a long term GM who was doing his best to ruin the organization and also let go, and who's best WR isn't even on a roster at the moment. Kaep's numbers were passable and he had a few really good games on a losing team. More than enough for a back up QB role. Gabbert started the season but just proved what everyone already knew, that he's not a starter in the NFL, Kaep was also coming from an off season of medical procedures so not starting was probably sensible. Chip Kelly never criticized Kaep nor did his team mates, Kaep himself talked of how supportive everyone was at the 49ers and Kelly made no sign that he didn't want him back the following year. When Jed York gave long term contracts to Shanahan and John Lynch untried in their roles as they were it was an immediate reaction to the shambles of the two year period with Tomsula and Kelly which the GM had a lot to do with. Shanahan's signing was the end for Kaep and it was made clear that he wasn't a fit for the new system. The Hoyer signing and then Jimmy showed that Kaep wasn't the type of QB that Shanahan wanted or needed as Kaep has little in common with them style wise. The Kelly firing was the signal for Kaep to opt out and that Jed York was looking elsewhere for a new coach and new QB. Not that it helped Kaep much.

TRENDING THREADS