• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 377 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Glad Indy won because I didn't want Texans at New England, 31- 10 blow out over in the 2nd quarter.

Who would be more dangerous for New England? aka who should I cheer for tonight.

My instinct is the Chargers, since they play 16 away games a season, have a good qb and seem more well rounded. Also the Ravens have a rookie qb which Bellichick always exploits. Feels like Ravens always lose at Foxborough too, apart from that one AFC championship game.

But on the other hand the Ravens already beat the Chargers and they beat them good. They are more hot at the moment and most importantly have that number 1 defense that Brady always struggles against. They also are a bigger team meaning there will be more outrage when Brady gets all the usual ref calls.

Guess I will just hope the best team wins and gets no injuries.

The Hitch said:
Glad Indy won because I didn't want Texans at New England, 31- 10 blow out over in the 2nd quarter.

Who would be more dangerous for New England? aka who should I cheer for tonight.

My instinct is the Chargers, since they play 16 away games a season, have a good qb and seem more well rounded. Also the Ravens have a rookie qb which Bellichick always exploits. Feels like Ravens always lose at Foxborough too, apart from that one AFC championship game.

But on the other hand the Ravens already beat the Chargers and they beat them good. They are more hot at the moment and most importantly have that number 1 defense that Brady always struggles against. They also are a bigger team meaning there will be more outrage when Brady gets all the usual ref calls.

Guess I will just hope the best team wins and gets no injuries.

I'm not sure about the Chargers defense. The Ravens have a very good defense which is and has always been a key to taking down the Patriots. The more pressure you put on Brady the more likely he is to make mistakes. As a Steeler fan I just have a hard time rooting for the Ravens.

Agree with everyone. Neither game that interesting. Several bad calls in the Cowboy-Seattle game, most against Seattle, but probably didn't change the outcome, Seattle couldn't stop the run, and Eliot had a superb game.
The Hitch said:
But on the other hand the Ravens already beat the Chargers and they beat them good.
Actually, they didn't. Did you watch the game? It was quite close, only a freak fumble by Antonio Gates at the end that resulted in a 100 yard shift and two TD swing made it seem that way. The one issue was that Rivers simply could not throw the ball down the field in that game. The Ravens got pressure, and the Chargers couldn't compensate, or find match-ups beyond 10 yards downfield. The Chargers defense did a decent job against the run, but Jackson burned them on a few key runs. That was the difference in an otherwise close game.

I think the Chargers have a better shot taking out the Patriots than the Ravens. Belicheck would find a way to key on, confuse, slow or stop Jackson or push him into mistakes, and Brady will find a way to get through the Raven defense just enough. I wouldn't say easy, no, but enough to win? Yes. The Chargers offense on the other hand could put up numbers against the Pats.

If you're hoping for great match-ups next week, cheer for the Bears. If they win they go to LA to face the Rams, and the Cowboys head back to New Orleans, who they beat a few weeks ago on a Thursday, being the first team to actually slow down the Saints offense.

I think the Colts present a real threat to the Chiefs. This is not a good match-up for KC on either side of the ball, and they haven't been as electric since Hunt was cut. It would be a near total tragedy if they lost, once again, early in the playoffs, especially after all the talk, and all the Chiefs fans pouring all the blame on Alex Smith, as if games or seasons are won and lost by one guy, one drive, or one play even.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Agree with everyone. Neither game that interesting. Several bad calls in the Cowboy-Seattle game, most against Seattle, but probably didn't change the outcome, Seattle couldn't stop the run, and Eliot had a superb game.
The Hitch said:
But on the other hand the Ravens already beat the Chargers and they beat them good.
Actually, they didn't. Did you watch the game? It was quite close, only a freak fumble by Antonio Gates at the end that resulted in a 100 yard shift and two TD swing made it seem that way. The one issue was that Rivers simply could not throw the ball down the field in that game. The Ravens got pressure, and the Chargers couldn't compensate, or find match-ups beyond 10 yards downfield. The Chargers defense did a decent job against the run, but Jackson burned them on a few key runs. That was the difference in an otherwise close game.

I think the Chargers have a better shot taking out the Patriots than the Ravens. Belicheck would find a way to key on, confuse, slow or stop Jackson or push him into mistakes, and Brady will find a way to get through the Raven defense just enough. I wouldn't say easy, no, but enough to win? Yes. The Chargers offense on the other hand could put up numbers against the Pats.

If you're hoping for great match-ups next week, cheer for the Bears. If they win they go to LA to face the Rams, and the Cowboys head back to New Orleans, who they beat a few weeks ago on a Thursday, being the first team to actually slow down the Saints offense.

Good point on the Chargers offense and the Patriot's defense isn't exactly the best. You're correct that the Patriot's defense won't be able to confuse Rivers like they could Jackson. I just want whoever has the best shot at beating the Patriots and I'd definitely prefer that to be the Chargers.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The Hitch said:

I think the Colts present a real threat to the Chiefs. This is not a good match-up for KC on either side of the ball, and they haven't been as electric since Hunt was cut. It would be a near total tragedy if they lost, once again, early in the playoffs, especially after all the talk, and all the Chiefs fans pouring all the blame on Alex Smith, as if games or seasons are won and lost by one guy, one drive, or one play even.

I didn't see the game. Thanks for the run down.

I agree that the Colts present a threat to the Chiefs.

But in recent years I have seen the trend of the historically poor team, getting that *1 seed, and with the power of HFA and the motivation of knowing this is finally your chance make the SB that year. Eagles last year, Falcons the year before- (2 seed but got the HFA after Dallas lost). Panthers before that. Seattle before that. That 1 year when everything came well together.

Feels like its that for the Chiefs this year. If they can just scrape by the Colts then a home game to make the SB- things will be hot down in Arrowhead.

Saints probably want Eagles to win today. Even though the loss was in Dallas, I can see them struggle against that defense and even though they should beat the Dallas O, if it stays close you never know what happens.

Final play by the Ravens summed up their game. In the third quarter only down by 12 points their defense stepped up and made some big plays but a dumb holding penalty, a missed FG and a stagnant offense couldn't take advantage. All the same, the Chargers looked shaky in the final few minutes.Looks like Flacco will be on the move but the Ravens look a season or two short at the moment of a possible SB appearance.

The Chargers running game was decent..Special teams.excellent and the defense,although it is hard to give them total credit for all the takeaways,they played ok..can't really know if it was defensive desire or a really,really bad day for the Ravens offensive line..both QB's have a really upright position in the pocket..a small difference being Rivers gets rid of the ball faster..Jackson is a very effective runner..

Re:

jmdirt said:
Oh the life of a kicker!!
Yeah...a relatively easy life until the chips are down and they choke! Parkey should be cut from the team immediately! This is a total JOKE that the chump can't make a relatively easy chip shot FG when the chips were down (and a 43 yd FG is chip shot at the NFL level).The snap was good, the hold was good, no strong cross winds, and it wasn't like the kick was blocked which would put the blame on the line. And this chump is the freaking *9th* highest paid kicker in the league at 3.75 million smackers a year!

It amazes me how pathetic some of the kickers are in the NFL nowadays. This is a position with a low injury risk and career longevity but yet pays incredibly well for little time spent on the field. Extra-points, FGs & kick-offs...oh boy what an easy life and yet so many choke when the chips are down! Some people will surely say that the Bears should have played better and not put themselves in that position. But doesn't matter because NFL kickers are paid Big Bucks to make clutch kicks when the game is on the line. And it wasn't like this was a more challenging 55+ yard FG, but a simple 43 yarder! There's hundreds of HS kids that could have easily made that kick!.

Look at these ridiculous salaries for NFL kickers! Yes...the life of a kicker. Lol.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/kicker/null/

Re: Re:

Nomad said:
a 43 yd FG is chip shot at the NFL level.

Not really. During the regular season, kickers made about 75% of FGA from 40-49 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/seasontype/2

Parkey made 9/12 from this distance during the RS, and 3/3 from a shorter distance during the game. The odds were in his favor, but the probability of missing was certainly high enough that there is no basis for saying he choked. He missed by about as little as you can, not like Vanderjagt for Indy when he missed by about 20-30 feet in that playoff game against Pittsburgh in 2005. That might have been an example of a kicker choking.

There's hundreds of HS kids that could have easily made that kick!.

There are tens of thousands of HS kids who can make three point shots, too. That doesn't make Curry trash when he misses.

Parker should be cut from the team immediately!

I'm surprised you aren't ranting against Gostkowski. His missed extra point--which pretty much is a chip shot--might have cost his team the AFC championship in 2016, and another missed XP could have cost his team the SB the following year.

Merckx index said:
Nomad said:
a 43 yd FG is chip shot at the NFL level.

Not really. During the regular season, kickers made about 75% of FGA from 40-49 yards.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/kicking/seasontype/2

Parkey made 9/12 from this distance during the RS, and 3/3 from a shorter distance during the game. The odds were in his favor, but the probability of missing was certainly high enough that there is no basis for saying he choked. He missed by about as little as you can, not like Vanderjagt for Indy when he missed by about 20-30 feet in that playoff game against Pittsburgh in 2005. That might have been an example of a kicker choking.

There's hundreds of HS kids that could have easily made that kick!.

There are tens of thousands of HS kids who can make three point shots, too. That doesn't make Curry trash when he misses.

Parker should be cut from the team immediately!

I'm surprised you aren't ranting against Gostkowski. His missed extra point--which pretty much is a chip shot--might have cost his team the AFC championship in 2016, and another missed XP could have cost his team the SB the following year.
C'mon man...what's up with your post? Are you personal friends with Parkey or something? Lol.

Parkey is a NFL player PAID BIG BUCKS to make these kind of kicks when the chips are down! Now do you want to convince me that when he was signed by the Bears he was told something like: "Just try your best Cody...and if you happen to miss a game winning FG in a playoff game it'll be just fine...no worries" Rainbows & marshmallows Lol

Parkey should be cut and the Bears need to find someone who can get the job done. A 12-4 season and NFC Central Champs all down the drain because of a highly paid professional kicker couldn't get the job done! 12-4 seasons are hard to come by these days, especially for the Bears of late. There's no guarantee that Chicago can duplicate this season or anything close to it next season. MT could go down like so many QBs are getting injured these days and they could be lousy next year (see the Skins when Smith went down).

And your analogy with HS kids and 3 pt shots and Curry is rather stupid. HS kids aren't paid ZILLIONS of dollars to make 3 pt shots, catch flyballs, kick FGs, etc. These pro players who make zillions of dollars want to be treated like Gods, worshiped like Gods, cuddled like Gods, etc. - then they better perform like Gods or be subjected to criticism.

Most of us have to work, or if retired, have worked hard for a living. None of us have had the luxury of being a professional kicker with a very easy job, making huge bucks, while basically sitting on the sideline doing nothing until it's time to kick an extra-pt or FG. He simply CHOKED under pressure and should be cut. Unacceptable at that level of football, IMO.

And you make think 43 yds isn't chip shot but these are NFL kickers - tbe best of best. If it was a 55+ yarder or there was some serious wind/weather conditions going on - that's one thing. And FFS, he nailed the first attempt as the TO was called. And on that stat you linked - how many of those kicks were blocked or affected by inclement weather? If the kick is attempted indoors or the weather/wind is not a factor outdoors, and the kick isn't blocked - a 43 yarder should be a "chip shot" at the NFL level. And keep in mind NFL kickers just have to kick - they don't play any other positions. 3.7 mil a year for just kicking a football. Wow.....I think in my ln my next life I'll ask to be a NFL kicker.

Many people in the real world are fired for choking or not producing at their job - jobs that pay a fraction of what this chump is making. Maybe you live in some fantasy world or something and worship these pro athletes but I don't! Professional athletes are just entertainers in my book and subject to a lot of criticism. And many of them could give a sh*t about the fans anyway.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/unsurprisingly-cody-parkey-getting-hammered-social-media

Seven misses from 30 attempts for Parkey is not great. Quite a few kicks are missed after a time out. The kicker has to reset and repeat and it's enough to throw some off their game. The coach's face said it all. I'd be surprised if he wasn't cut. Keep in mind the Bears had a kicker by the name of Robbie Gould........I was disappointed in the performances of the Bears and Ravens. I thought the Seahawks game could have gone either way but I never thought either of those teams would win the Super Bowl. if there is going to be a knockout team outside the top seeds I think the Colts look the best. And they were impressive in shutting out the Cowboys two weeks ago.The Colts are not a flashy team like the Rams or Kansas but they are good at the basics and are playing disciplined football.

Or holding the Eagles in the 4th quarter. Or how about just crediting the Eagles for stepping up and playing great when it mattered most. Nick Foles started the game fairly poorly, but when it got to the 2nd half and 4Q, and the game was on the line, he looked like Joe Montana, or, Nick Foles circa 2017 out there. Play after play they gutted it out in the game of inches. That's really why the Eagles won when you think about it, not one kick that barely missed.

Another thing about Parkey's kick, it was on grass, outside, which also lowers the odds. Then add the fact that Hester tipped it. Granted, one could then blame Parkey for not getting enough elevation on the kick, or you could blame the OL on that play for letting Hester get enough height. Plenty of blame to go around if that's the way one wants to think.

I believe it was Troy Aikman who once said kickers face more pressure and anxiety than any other player in football, and that includes quarterbacks in what you may think of as serious crunch time. I'd believe it, because kickers are isolated.

Merckx index said:
He missed by about as little as you can, not like Vanderjagt for Indy when he missed by about 20-30 feet in that playoff game against Pittsburgh in 2005. That might have been an example of a kicker choking.
That kick was so bad I wouldn't be shocked if on his deathbed he revealed he missed on purpose, or was paid to miss, especially considering at that time Vanderjagt was the most accurate kicker in NFL history, and rarely if ever missed any kick from any distance playing in Indy. Setting that aside, you're right. Parkey's kick barely missed, was probably tipped, and had the ball simply been rotated 90 degrees when it hit back down on the crossbar may have gone through. It's hard to call that a choke. Having said that, I recall Jimmy Johnson saying once he liked accurate kickers much more than guys with big legs. He wanted someone he could rely on under 45 yards. And if the team couldn't get there? He'd punt, or just plan accordingly. Less stress on everyone. And the Bears may take that direction next year.

Speaking of Foles, his player-friendly restructured contract stated that if he took at least 33% of the snaps in a playoff game they'd pay him $500,000. And if he won that game? Another $500,000. Put another way, Nick made a cool $1m last night. Talk about getting paid to perform!

Nomad said:
Parkey is a NFL player PAID BIG BUCKS to make these kind of kicks when the chips are down! Now do you want to convince me that when he was signed by the Bears he was told something like: "Just try your best Cody...and if you happen to miss a game winning FG in a playoff game it'll be just fine...no worries" Rainbows & marshmallows Lol

The stats are very clear: no one is perfect from that distance. Parkey made three shorter FGs earlier in the game. Assuming kickers make those 90% of the time, the odds that he would miss at least one of his four attempts were almost 50%. IOW, he had an average day at the office. Not a very good day, not a very bad day. The Bears needed a very good day from him, but only because other players on the team also didn't do better than average.

How about Trubisky? His QB rating for the game was below league average, and below his season average, despite playing a below average defense.

Again, why aren't you calling for Gostkowski to be cut? He screwed up worse than Parkey did, but his team bailed him out. In the 1983 NFC championship game, Mark Moseley, who the year before set a record by not missing a single FG in the regular season (though strike-shortened), missed 4 FG. That could have easily cost Washington the game, but he made the final one, so all was forgiven. If Parkey had missed even one of those three earlier ones, his team wouldn't have been in position to win with a FG at the end. Would you or anyone else have called for him to be cut? Probably not.

I could go on and on and on with examples. In a Raider-Steeler AFC championship game in the mid 70s, both teams had a 35-40 FG attempt in the first half. The Steelers made theirs, the Raiders missed theirs. That missed FG was crucial late in the game, when the Raiders trailed by 9 points instead of 6. Did anyone blame George Blanda, the Raiders kicker? No. The 49ers missed a perfect season in 1984 because their kicker missed a 37 yard FG. Anyone blame him for the loss? Nope.

There are lots of playoff games decided by a FG or less, and quite frequently a kicker misses a makeable FG at some point during the game. But because it doesn't happen to be at the end of the game, he gets a pass. Many fans seem to think that missed FGs earlier in the game don't count as much as those late in the game. They do.

And your analogy with HS kids and 3 pt shots and Curry is rather stupid. HS kids aren't paid ZILLIONS of dollars to make 3 pt shots, catch flyballs, kick FGs, etc.

You were the one who said any HS kid could kick that FG, remember? Your point seemed to be that Parkey couldn't do what any HS kid could do. My point was that by your logic, any HS kid could do what Curry does.

These pro players who make zillions of dollars want to be treated like Gods, worshiped like Gods, cuddled like Gods, etc. - then they better perform like Gods or be subjected to criticism.

Can you provide a link that indicates Parkey has ever been treated like a God, or is averse to criticism?

Most of us have to work, or if retired, have worked hard for a living. None of us have had the luxury of being a professional kicker with a very easy job, making huge bucks, while basically sitting on the sideline doing nothing until it's time to kick an extra-pt or FG. He simply CHOKED under pressure and should be cut. Unacceptable at that level of football, IMO.

If it's so easy, why don't you do it? I saw some pre-game festivity once when a young, athletic guy was given multiple chances to kick a long FG, allowed to take as long a run to the ball as he wanted, no defensive line to worry about, he still couldn't make any of them. If kickers were a dime a dozen, they would be paid a dime a dozen.

And you make think 43 yds isn't chip shot but these are NFL kickers - tbe best of best.

The difference between you and me is I don't just think something is or isn't. I post stats that address the issue. The stats show very clearly that kickers miss from that range a substantial amount of time.

And FFS, he nailed the first attempt as the TO was called.

Which supports my point--usually they make them from this distance. Just not always. There was a playoff game between Pittsburgh and Tennessee in which the Titan kicker had three chances to make the game winning FG. The first time he made it, but his team was offside. The second time he missed, but Pitt was offside. The third time he finally made it with no penalties. Stuff like that happens.

And on that stat you linked - how many of those kicks were blocked or affected by inclement weather?

Since you're the one making an unsupported assertion, why don't you find out the answer to that yourself? And while you're at it, how about looking up all the plays Trubisky didn't make that a QB could make, which might have affected the outcome of the game?

For the record, though, the NFL has now officially given an Eagles player credit for blocking the kick. And even after being deflected, the ball still almost made it through. So it sounds as though the ball was kicked pretty accurately.

Every pro athlete plays on a knife's edge, where little things can affect the outcome of the game. No pro athlete does what is possible to do at his best on every single play. Every one can see when a kicker misses. Most people don't see when a QB or WR or lineman or DB misses a play he usually would make, and which could cost his team the game. The Patriots might have beaten the Giants in the SB on their second try if a Brady pass hadn't been just a little bit off. Did anyone blame Brady for losing the SB? Of course not.

It's easy to yell and scream when kickers miss. Other players are more insulated from their mistakes. You think being a kicker is so easy, but this is one of the really difficult things about it. Your misplays aren't covered up by your teammates.

Wow.....I think in my ln my next life I'll ask to be a NFL kicker.

Since you're dreaming, why not wish to do something important?

Many people in the real world are fired for choking or not producing at their job - jobs that pay a fraction of what this chump is making.

Not based on one single performance. Based on a pattern of poor performance.

Maybe you live in some fantasy world or something and worship these pro athletes but I don't! Professional athletes are just entertainers in my book and subject to a lot of criticism. And many of them could give a sh*t about the fans anyway.

I don't worship any pro athletes. You sound as though you do, otherwise, why would you get so worked up about a missed FG? All I'm pointing out is that Parkey's missed FG is not that unusual. I'm not saying he's a God or a hero or deserves to be paid millions of dollars. I'm only saying that players can do what they're paid to do, and still lose games.

Merckx index said:
These pro players who make zillions of dollars want to be treated like Gods, worshiped like Gods, cuddled like Gods, etc. - then they better perform like Gods or be subjected to criticism.

Can you provide a link that indicates Parkey has ever been treated like a God, or is averse to criticism?
It actually seems quite the opposite. He made himself available to the media in the locker room after the game, saying he felt terrible about it.

There's another irony in all this, the one guy who really outperformed everyone else, arguably won the game, and was paid a crazy amount of money to do so, Nick Foles, is quite possibly the most humble and modest player in the entire league.

As to missed FGs in crunch time, there are a slew of videos on YouTube about missed kicks, most of the far closer and "easier" than the one Parkey attempted.

Yeah, while lack of execution can eventually catch up with players and coaches, right (especially if there is a pattern of consistent lack of performance, or inconsistency), to which MerckxI stated:
Not based on one single performance. Based on a pattern of poor performance.
, overall I agree with MerckxI and Alpe. The Bears only needed one point to tie, two to win, and a FG would have been enough, so there are a number of plays particularly on offense and a few on defense the Bears could look at and say they could have done better to change the outcome. Frustrating as it might be, it was a team loss IMO.

I was never a big fan of Bill Parcells, but I respected how he managed players emotions. Take Phil Sims. If Phil had a bad game, Parcells publicly supported Phil to take the heat of his QB. If Phil had a great game, Parcells found something about Phil's play to criticize publicly to keep him humble.

Or more recently, Seattle's loss to Dallas last weekend. Seattle gained 73 rushing yards on 24 attempts, and were 2 of 13 on third down conversions. So Seattle OC Brian Shottenheimer is taking some heat. To that, Pete Carroll said this week:
"First off, for somebody to look at this game and say somebody didn't do this or didn't do that, and try to hold that against them or whatever, is really unfair," Carroll said Monday at his end-of-season news conference. "Hold it against me; I'm the guy that's in charge of this thing."
That kind of grace (given by Parcells, Carroll, or others) is probably what the Chicago kicker Parkey deserves at this point.

Upon further review the ball was tipped (as noted several times above), so we should be talking about great special team play by the Eagles.

As much as I wanted to blame Jani for the SEA loss, there was too much to go around: the O couldn't move the ball, and the D couldn't stop EE.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Upon further review the ball was tipped (as noted several times above), so we should be talking about great special team play by the Eagles.

As much as I wanted to blame Jani for the SEA loss, there was too much to go around: the O couldn't move the ball, and the D couldn't stop EE.
I can't blame Seabass (Jani) either. Total team loss.

As to the tipped ball, I heard that talked about, watched some video, but my own eyes could not clearly see the tip as it happened so fast at game speed, although I admit the tipping hand & ball were in close proximity to each other. I take the word of others who say it was tipped as truth. A low kick still could be put partly on the kicker (the placement & hold looked good), but the tip could also be partly on the blocking and partly on a great defending play. Who knows, maybe the outdoor turf in that spot did not provide the best footing for the kicker's plant foot, though nobody appears to have mentioned that.

Parkey may go down the road of Blair Walsh. Walsh was terrific his rookie season, he hit all of the FG attempts that were 50+ yards. He was money that season (2012) and made the pro bowl. He was also good the following year, and decent in 2014, but in 2015 the wheels started falling off. He missed more often and the climax was when he shanked the game winning attempt. Granted it was subzero temperatures and the laces were in, but still. That said, he was the only one to score points for the Vikings that day. Of course, even if you are 10/10 in a game and you hit a 60 yarder, you are still going to get criticized and attacked if you miss a game winning attempt, that's the way it's been and that's the way it's going to be in the future. After another season, he was cut and then choked three games away, that cost Seattle a 12-4 record and a playoff berth. Scott Norwood was very reliable for the Bills, he was consistent (though he did struggle wit long FG's) and he had the Bills record for most points, but...wide right...He's known for that and seemingly only for that. Gary Anderson literally didn't miss anything in 1998, but missed the most important attempt in his career and the Vikings lost in the NFC championship...

There is an unfortunate pattern of guys that are on the money, either choking during the playoffs and/or sharply declining. Anderson was closing in on 40, so that plays a role, but again, he hadn't missed a kick all season.

TRENDING THREADS