• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 394 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
This "I told you so" is only aimed at Colin Cowherd, and some in the NYC media and blogosphere who said more than once he saw Russell Wilson heading to NYC, as his wife was from there, and it had all the big lights and all. I called BS on that, pretty loudly if I recall. Wilson himself addressed this recently saying it wasn't likely, and he wanted to play for Seattle. Some still called that a smokescreen.

If you missed it, Wilson just inked a deal with Seattle paying him $140m over four years, $107 of that guaranteed (what he wanted last contract, but didn't really get. This is where the real money is, obviously), and a no-trade clause. He seemed pretty happy about it, as did Ciara.

I'll save you the math, that's $35m a year, or $26.75 guaranteed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001026538/article/russell-wilson-seahawks-agree-to-4year-140m-deal
Where have you been man, I posted that about a week ago! :lol:

You told us so, and I'm glad you were correct! Chalk that one up to "where Colin got it wrong". Really, I was not surprised Seattle was able to resign Russ Wilson, even if it came down to the last hour (deal getting done around 11pm-ish before the real (or fake) midnight "deadline"). They would have been foolish to let him get away.

Been on the bike myself, and it's nice not turning into a popsicle since the weather has really gotten nice. Wifey got me Bar Mits & battery powered heated gloves for XMas, which were great, but I'd rather not have to use them.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
They would have been foolish to let him get away.
This.

I don't have time to crunch the numbers, but if you just think about it, he's been one of the best QBs in the NFL since he came into the league. Top 5 probably. The last couple years he hasn't gotten them too far in the playoffs, but he's still played well - this is with maybe the worst OL in the NFL, a terrible OL coach (now gone), losing the then best RB in the NFL (Lynch), and throwing to a rotating crop of receivers. I know on a flat # the $ is insane, but there's insane $ in sports, it's the way it is. So good for him, and smart for the team to sign him, right when he's heading into what may be his true prime.
Wifey got me Bar Mits & battery powered heated gloves for XMas, which were great, but I'd rather not have to use them.
Wait a minute! Don't you live in the Seattle area? Why on earth would anyone need heated gloves there?! I've been to Seattle at least 100x, and lived in Portland for 40 years. I move to New England and realized now that there is no real winter in the Pacific Northwest. It's just a cloudy, damp few months. Not real winter. (Granted, the winter is severe in the Cascades!). Some guys here have heated gloves, but I've gotten to the point where I can wear high quality regular gloves in the winter here down to about 10 degrees, and my fingers are okay. What gives? Then again, I think you too are, ahem, middle age, and circulation isn't always the way it was when we were young. :)

Nah. Thank God not Seattle with all their traffic congestion, & rain. Tri-Cities in eastern Washington, east of the Cascades in arid desert country. Not the lush green side of the state. Winter temperatures here can get well below 10 degrees F, but lows are typically in the 15 to 35 range, and mostly in the 20s. The coldest I've ridden is 13F in the morning before work, and with cold weather gear from head to toe I was warm enough Except the hands with ski gloves on. My hands got so cold it was damnnear unbearable. Downhill skiing & snowshoeing, which I do, the arms move enough to keep the hands toasty. This winter was one of the worst winters on record where I live in terms of snowfall (about 24"), but mostly upper teens to low 20s for temperatures. Lot of my rides had temps in the 20-25 range. Bar Mits & ski gloves woulda been ok, but the heated gloves are so thin they give me all the finger dexterity for shifting, while toasty warm to sometimes too hot, at which point I'll grip the bar on the tops outside the Bar Mits to cool off. But in Seattle I'd need a diving wetsuit for slogs on the rain-drenched roads, haha. I'll take extreme cold or heat anyday over the wet.

Nice summary of Houdini Wilson's career & what he's had to work with (the rest of the offense) BTW. OL is improving but not quite there yet after 1 season under coach Solari. In December Seattle also jettisoned the old strength & conditioning coach who had been on staff since appx 2009, & who I think was not getting good enough results with some of the young OL guys. If the line gets better, their existing RBs will be good enough, especially Carson who's a stud.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Nah. Thank God not Seattle with all their traffic congestion, & rain. Tri-Cities in eastern Washington, east of the Cascades in arid desert country.
Ahhh, sorry I assumed so poorly! So your winter isn't that different than mine. Though you don't get Nor'easters, it's still damned cold much of the time. So, what are the gloves, if I may ask?!

I read that Wilson bought $12k of stock for each of his offensive lineman, and that includes the back-up guys. Smart leadership if you ask me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/be-prepared/russell-wilson-gifts-teammates-with-dollar156000-in-amazon-stock/vp-BBWdWCq

... but did grow up in Seattle area.

Well, this is how you pay your franchise QB $140M (w/$105M in guarantees) over 4 years (Russ Wilson). You trade your prime defenders for multiple picks. Seattle just traded DE Frank Clark to KC for KC's 2019 1st round pick (29th OA) and a latter 2020 2nd round pick (& they swap 3rd rounders in 2020). Seattle drafted Clark in the 2nd round of 2015. KC gets Clark (now age 25) to replace Dee Ford. Clark gets $105.5M ($63.5M guaranteed) over 5 years. By signing Wilson and letting players go, Seattle now has 5 extra draft picks in 2020 (4 of those picks are compensatory), and the extra 1st rounder this year. Seattle will likely draft a DE this year with at least a mid round pick, but have two 2nd year DE's on roster who played well last year and who could break out this year (Rasheem Green, Jacob Martin). Plus they recently signed DE Cassius Marsh to go along with a couple developmental/journeyman DE's. This is a good move for both teams. While paying for Clark, KC can afford it now since Mahomes is on his rookie deal.

Alpe d'Huez said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
Nah. Thank God not Seattle with all their traffic congestion, & rain. Tri-Cities in eastern Washington, east of the Cascades in arid desert country.
Ahhh, sorry I assumed so poorly! So your winter isn't that different than mine. Though you don't get Nor'easters, it's still damned cold much of the time. So, what are the gloves, if I may ask?!

I read that Wilson bought $12k of stock for each of his offensive lineman, and that includes the back-up guys. Smart leadership if you ask me.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/be-prepared/russell-wilson-gifts-teammates-with-dollar156000-in-amazon-stock/vp-BBWdWCq
You snuck in ahead of me last post. ThermoGear Rechargeable Heated Gloves liners (thin so they go inside gloves). I wear mine under my cycling gloves. Here's the website, and I think you can get them on Amazon, which I think is what wifey did (but I was not supposed to know for XMas). She found out about them by word of mouth.
https://www.verseo.com/cold-weather/thermogear-rechargeable-heated-gloves-liners.html

ahhhh. Wilson gave a gift that keeps paying. Smart. If its good stock, it can grow into a much more sizable sum by the time kidos hit college if they go that route.

To toss some fuel on the flames regarding Seattle OL draft picks: I'd just replace "John Schneider & Pete Carroll" with "Tom Cable", who Schneid & Pete were trusting as their OL coach.

D42mkltUwAAtIYh.jpg

:eek:

Rosen is out of there (maybe a trade with Miami?). Remember the Cardinals traded up last year to get Rosen with the 10th OA and he was projected to be their franchise QB. Not for long (NFL) as Murray & Kingsbury are center stage now with the pressure to take the Cardinals to the promised land (Cardinals had their worst record in franchise history last year which cost first year HC Steve Wilks his job). Unless Murray totally stinks up preseason he should be at the helm as the starter. But the expectations to win "now" must be very high.

It's uncertain if Alex Smith will even play this season (according to some reports).The Skins got a steal not having to trade up for Haskins and I think Keenum, who got ran out of Denver after just one season for Flacco, will probably have a short stint with the Skins. I predict Haskins will start sometime during the season, especially if the Skins are losing early on.

The Manning era is just about over (no surprises there) -- Jones is the guy moving foward. They must see something really special in Jones that they didn't see in Haskins. If the Giants are winning, Jones might sit a year similar to the Mahomes/Smith situation 2 yrs ago. But if they're not (and they've been lousy the last 2 seasons with an 8 -24 record) good by Eli and hello Jones. There's no way the owner is going to have a 6 OA pick sit the bench if the team isn't winning and look to be out of playoff contention by the 2nd half of the season. We've seen this show time & time again with veteran QBs being pushed out sooner than later in favor of the high-draft pick projected franchise QBs.

Metcalf, projected to be a top 15 pick by the "experts," got passed over. Williams & Lock, both projected to be first rounders, also were ignored. It must be particularly humiliating for Lock who some mock drafts had him as high as the 10th pick and all having him projected to be at least a first rounder. Lock himself even said he'd "rather go 32nd than No. 1 to a bad team." Well...the Patriots ignored him with the "32nd" pick. Lol.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833001-drew-lock-id-rather-go-to-right-team-than-no-1-to-bad-team-in-2019-nfl-draft

Tired of seeing the Raiders reach for players that they could have gotten later. Wonder why they couldn't trade down. Clearly the QB smokescreen was intended to entice someone to take the #4 pick but no takers at the right price, obviously. Didn't fool me so I assume those who are in the know were not going to be fooled either.

I like their picks overall though. 3 hard-nosed football guys who will add leadership and talent to team at positions of desperate need. If they can pick up Greedy with pick #35, I'm stoked, but hard to see him getting by Arizona and SF.

They were never going to be able to replace Mack with the late-round pick, or even and early one in this draft, but I think they did well. Jacobs will help Carr a ton. The safety Abrahams is the kind of player we passed on several times in the McKenzie era. Let's load up on some more edge rushers and CB's as we can.

I too was really surprised with Ferrell going that high. A guy who likely would have been there at 24, or lower. Josh Allen was rated higher by everyone, and a similar player. It's like they were desperately reaching for someone, anyone, who can maybe fill the void left by Mack. Like that's going to happen. I don't like picking a RB high either, though they likely got the best safety in the draft. A hitter who can cover, which is great.

While I’m not surprised with Murray going #1, I keep thinking what a risk this is. All in, on a guy who is short, started 1 year, had five offensive lineman that will make the NFL, All while the team had Josh Rosen and couldn’t unload him. Put another way, the longer they held/hold Rosen, the less they will get in return, especially now, as other teams know the Cards won’t be playing him.

I don’t know about the Giants taking Jones either. I like his potential, and it was pointed out he often played under pressure and was calm and handled it well, which helps in New York City. But like Ferrell it’s quite possible he would have been available at their 2nd pick (17). I’m guessing he sits until they think he’s ready? But how many guys taken this high do that?

I would have thought the Jags would be looking for OL help because of Foles, but to have Allen fall in their lap, and Jax has historically been a defensive team, wow. Steal of the draft so far. Similar good fortune with Ed Oliver falling to the Bills, and Christian Wilkins going to Miami. These teams got players they can really use, and didn't have to pay the price for. The fact this draft was just loaded with what seems like defensive linemen ready to start from week 1.

Cincy taking Johan Willams tells me that the Bengals are going to ride out Dalton, probably finish in last next year as a rebuild, then see what kind of QB they can get in next year’s more QB rich draft class. They easily could have taken Haskins, or Lock here. Maybe they are hoping Lock will fall to them in round 2?

Washington taking Dwayne Haskins tells me if Keenum doesn’t play that well, he’ll start, or he'll start eventually anyway. A perfect scenario for him. At 26 Washington took Montez Sweat who was supposed to go in the top 10 before “heart issues” which may be completely bogus. A risky pick that could really pay off. I'd say they had a very good first round.

Denver takes Noah Fant. Really? Joe Flacco can at least throw short passes is maybe what they are thinking, but I’m surprised they didn’t take Drew Lock. Then again, as I look at Round 2, Lock may very well be available at 41, where Denver picks, one pick ahead of Cincy.

I like Baltimore taking Marquise Brown. He had Murray throwing to him, and I see him coming right into the league and clicking with Jackson.

Chargers taking Jerry Tiller tells me they are loading up on defense for an all-in approach. This is where they got burned, even when Bosa came back.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I too was really surprised with Ferrell going that high. A guy who likely would have been there at 24, or lower. Josh Allen was rated higher by everyone, and a similar player. It's like they were desperately reaching for someone, anyone, who can maybe fill the void left by Mack. Like that's going to happen. I don't like picking a RB high either, though they likely got the best safety in the draft. A hitter who can cover, which is great.

While I’m not surprised with Murray going #1, I keep thinking what a risk this is. All in, on a guy who is short, started 1 year, had five offensive lineman that will make the NFL, All while the team had Josh Rosen and couldn’t unload him. Put another way, the longer they held/hold Rosen, the less they will get in return, especially now, as other teams know the Cards won’t be playing him.

I don’t know about the Giants taking Jones either. I like his potential, and it was pointed out he often played under pressure and was calm and handled it well, which helps in New York City. But like Ferrell it’s quite possible he would have been available at their 2nd pick (17). I’m guessing he sits until they think he’s ready? But how many guys taken this high do that?

I would have thought the Jags would be looking for OL help because of Foles, but to have Allen fall in their lap, and Jax has historically been a defensive team, wow. Steal of the draft so far. Similar good fortune with Ed Oliver falling to the Bills, and Christian Wilkins going to Miami. These teams got players they can really use, and didn't have to pay the price for. The fact this draft was just loaded with what seems like defensive linemen ready to start from week 1.

Cincy taking Johan Willams tells me that the Bengals are going to ride out Dalton, probably finish in last next year as a rebuild, then see what kind of QB they can get in next year’s more QB rich draft class. They easily could have taken Haskins, or Lock here. Maybe they are hoping Lock will fall to them in round 2?

Washington taking Dwayne Haskins tells me if Keenum doesn’t play that well, he’ll start, or he'll start eventually anyway. A perfect scenario for him. At 26 Washington took Montez Sweat who was supposed to go in the top 10 before “heart issues” which may be completely bogus. A risky pick that could really pay off. I'd say they had a very good first round.

Denver takes Noah Fant. Really? Joe Flacco can at least throw short passes is maybe what they are thinking, but I’m surprised they didn’t take Drew Lock. Then again, as I look at Round 2, Lock may very well be available at 41, where Denver picks, one pick ahead of Cincy.

I like Baltimore taking Marquise Brown. He had Murray throwing to him, and I see him coming right into the league and clicking with Jackson.

Chargers taking Jerry Tiller tells me they are loading up on defense for an all-in approach. This is where they got burned, even when Bosa came back.

The talking heads are piling on re the Giants pick of Jones. Hardly anyone thinks it was a good pick. Haskins didn't think so either judging by his reaction when he dropped to 15. Seems like Jones was always going to be the pick according to the Giants which no one understands. Rosen traded to Miami as expected. Seemed to be the obvious landing spot for him after the QB selections. Denver were not interested. I agree that Murray is a risky pick and the fact that Skip Bayliss loves him is even more reason to worry.

I would like to see Rosen kill it in Miami just to show that a number one pick is only as good as the team they play with (MI sucked on the road last year but they were better than AZ was). With that said, Josh needs to improve inside his helmet more than anything.

I want Jones to be great when he gets his chance with NYG (yep because all of the talking heads and knownothings who have already called him a bad pick but have never even seen him play). Is Haskins better? Really who knows, but...

Alpe, DEN did get Lock at 42 (from CIN). I think that Fant was a good pick for DEN because JF will need a solid receiving TE to be successful.

Bad news for SEA fans: Baldwin may be done. I hope not but... Hopefully DK can fill his numbers! DK for his interview with SEA (PC goes shirtless too!):
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26615854/seattle-pick-went-shirtless-combine-meeting

Bayliss (and Mel Kiper) are dinosaurs. ESPN still operating like it's Y2K and people like them are relevant, and the two of them do all they can to act the part, like many others on the four-letter network.

Good for Josh Rosen to get out of Arizona, agree with what you said.

The Cards had a cheesecloth OL last year (ask Rosen, or Bradford), yet they have drafted no offensive linemen so far to help Murray.

Good patience on Denver to wait for Lock. Out of all the QB's taken, he may be in the best position. Not expected to start right away, on a team in transition.

I again am disappointed to see the Raiders reach and get Trayon Mullen, when both Joejuan Willams and Greedy Williams were still on the board. It's like the only scouting film Gruden and Maycock watched was the Clemson-Alabama game.

There was talk on some boards that Jacksonville was going to use their pick at 7 on Jawaan Taylor, as they rally need an OT to protect Foles, and Taylor was the best OL prospect in the draft. Well, as luck would have it, he fell all the way to the 2nd round, and the Jags made a swap with Oakland to grab him.

Somehow, some way, DK Metcalf fell all the way to Seattle, where he'll certainly be welcome. But with Baldwin maybe retiring, Metcalf doesn't look like that kind of receiver. Hmmm.

Recall the Jets trade last year with the Colts? In exchange for Sam Darnold (jury still out, probably good), the Colts got:

OL Quenton Nelson
OL Braden Smith
DE Kemoko Turay
RB Jordan Wilkins
CB Rock Ya-Sin

Nelson alone has already proved more valuable. Made the Pro Bowl, first team NFL All-Pro (meaning the best in the league at his position), and got rookie of the year votes... AS A GUARD!!!

Smith has also been a versatile OL, playing both strong side guard, before settling on at RT and playing very well the last 12 games, and both playoff games.

Re:

jmdirt said:
I would like to see Rosen kill it in Miami just to show that a number one pick is only as good as the team they play with (MI sucked on the road last year but they were better than AZ was). With that said, Josh needs to improve inside his helmet more than anything.

I want Jones to be great when he gets his chance with NYG (yep because all of the talking heads and knownothings who have already called him a bad pick but have never even seen him play). Is Haskins better? Really who knows, but...

Alpe, DEN did get Lock at 42 (from CIN). I think that Fant was a good pick for DEN because JF will need a solid receiving TE to be successful.

Bad news for SEA fans: Baldwin may be done. I hope not but... Hopefully DK can fill his numbers! DK for his interview with SEA (PC goes shirtless too!):
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26615854/seattle-pick-went-shirtless-combine-meeting
It looks like Haskins is going to get a chance to compete for the starting job with Keenum & McCoy. This sounds like Smith won't play this season and ownership doesn't sound confident in naming Keenum the starter while Haskins sits a year:

http://kcmsports.com/2019/04/26/jay-gruden-says-dwayne-haskins-will-have-opportunity-to-start-at-qb-right-away/

Jones would have to be a good pick or the Giants wouldn't have taken him with the 6th OA (they could have waited to take him with the 17th but they must have been afraid that another team would grab him before then).

My take: The Manning era is just about over (no surprises there) -- Jones is the guy moving foward. If the Giants are winning, Jones might sit a year similar to the Mahomes/Smith situation 2 yrs ago. But if they're not (and they've been lousy the last 2 seasons with an 8 -24 record) good by Eli and hello Jones. There's no way the owner is going to have a *6th* OA pick sit the bench if the team isn't winning and look to be out of playoff contention by the 2nd half of the season. We've seen this show time & time again with veteran QBs being pushed out sooner than later in favor of the high-drafted projected franchise QBs.

And Elway got a good deal on Lock. He didn't have to burn up his 10th OA pick on him once he was assured that the Skins would take Haskins and Miami was interested in Rosen. This is Elway's guy for the future (though that was supposed to be case with Lynch. Lol). Elway scouted Lock at Missouri's bowl game last year and became sold on him. Looks like Elway wants to sit him for awhile and let him learn under Flacco. This gives Denver 4 QBs going into preseason (Flacco, Lock, Hogan & Grayson). We shall see -- the pressure is all on Flacco to get the Broncos competitive again...and now.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/4/27/18519447/elway-says-drew-lock-is-here-to-learn

My husband is a Seahawk fan and has said he's happy with their picks. He said he thinks the DK pick is insurance if Baldwin doesn't come back (which is very possible).

I'm happy with all the Steeler picks so far. I think Snell is a good fit for running back with the team.

I'm with the rest of you. I really hope Rosen goes to Miami and lights it up.

One more interesting thing. The Patriots took a kid from Denmark. How does a kid from Denmark end up in college in the US playing football in the first place?