• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 407 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lots of talk about the Patriots schedule compared to other teams and also Brady's form and how many losses they are going to have. No doubts about their defense so far. Their injuries are mounting up.

Playing wise I believe Brady hasn't regressed anywhere close to what people are thinking. He's old and has to make it through the whole season. A lot is made of the interception he had but he was clearly expecting Edelman to go right based off the wind. You could see based off the flags on the goal posts the wind was blowing towards the right and he wanted to go with it. Otherwise he has shown he can go deep (with some misses but so does everyone). The Patriots ability is to wear your team out with long drives which I believe is why they always pull away in the fourth quarter (not just this year). Injuries are definitely mounting, especially all over on offense. He hasn't said it but you can see he is frustrated about it. If the offense can get a little healthy they can be a force to reckon with.

On a side note I wonder how much they will trust their kicker. They didn't use him at all really in the Giants game, most likely from the wind but he definitely isn't as consistent as Adam or Stephen.

Reactions: movingtarget
Agree with what you wrote on Brady. It's a long season, and he's not young anymore, saving a lot for December, January, February. A lot is made of their weak schedule, but I'm reminded of the 2009 NY Giants, coming off a 12-4 season in 2008 where they were upset in the playoffs (and 1 year removed from a SB win), they started the season 5-0, but they beat Washington, Dallas, Tampa, KC, and Oakland, only Dallas being good, before losing four straight, and 8 of their last 11 games. So, the season is young. Never the less, my gut tells me that the Pats defense really is superb, and it's only a matter of time before the offense gets into stride.

Thoughts on games coming up.

Or to a lesser extent Chiefs in 17 starting 5-0 and ending 10-6 or the Steelers collapse last year. Anything can happen, season isn't over until February 2.

Pats defense is far superior then last year and you can go back to the playoffs to see that and they only got better.

What I forgot about and saw on a video earlier Brady also went 15 straight on completions in the wind plus qb sneaked 4 or more times. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't willingly give myself a pummeling during a sneak if my form was off.

On track on their injuries I wish they would try to trade Detroit for Amendola. He already knows the system, has a repor with Brady, and potentially another 3rd down threat. They bring out Edelman, Amendola, Gordon, Burkhead, White/Michal on third down who are yoh going to cover.

Of the games I'm interested in I think Sea, Det, Hou, and NO will win. A real slugfest well go down in Miami, could go either way on high or low scoring game but I wouldn't past them to end in tie.

CAR@TB - Presuming Carolina wins again, does Kyle Allen keep the job once Cam is healthy? Curious what Arians can drum up to fluster him.
WAS@MIA - Battle of the unbeatens. Washington is better on paper, but more of a mess.
PHI@MIN - Cousins played fairly well last week, but there are many calls for his head.
HOU@KC - While I like Houston, KC returns to form here.
NO@JAX - Saints maybe the best team in the NFL. Missing star QB, tough schedule, still 4-1.
SEA@CLE - Browns come back, and Hawks fly a little low, after last week.
CIN@BAL - Ravens still probably best in that division.
SF@LAR - Rams show 'Niners who is still best in that division, in a low scoring affair.
ATL@ARI - If the Falcons lose here, their once promising season is over.
DAL@NYJ - Darnold's return helps, but only a little.
PIT@LAC - Steelers down to third string QB, go 1-5. Surprised this is the flex game instead of SF vs. Rams.

DET@GB - Detroit has shown some real grit, but Packers are a very sound team.

For anyone that didn't understand the ruling for the Hou v KC game on the Mahomes INT. It wasn't pass interference since he wasn't the intended target and it wasn't holding because they ruled the ball already in the air and you can hold while the ball is in the air. From what I saw they never showed a side by side of when the ball left Mahomes hands and the hold occurred.

On the game, Texans have the momentum and could be up from more if not for Fuller's first drop they would be firmer in control. I'll let the second one slide as they were able to take more time off the clock and got a touchdown anyaways.

Last edited:
Back home from the Spurs ground after watching a pretty entertaining game between the Bucs and my Panthers. Panthers D were on fire for 2/3rds of the game then slackened off and made it much closer than it really should have been.

Almost feel for the Bucs who lost a home game and were treated like the away team by and vastly superior Panthers support that had travelled from the US, Europe and more locally in the UK to watch the Panthers in London for the first time.

Bucs strong run defence was again very good but we still got to see glimpses of CMC, including one superb play for a touchdown where 3 defenders were no match.

Allen continues to get the job done and goes 5-0, what happens if Cam is healthy after the bye week? I hope they keep the faith in Allen.

A final word on the ground, really impressed with the new stadium, acoustics were spot on and it just feels much better for NFL than Wembley.

Nice win for the 49ers based on some great defense. Goff couldn't get the offense going. Jets last, to beat the Cowboys. Both the Rams and Cowboys need a win. Redskins beat Miami in a close one and the Eagles were done over. Some interesting results. Panthers are doing well. Browns and their QB are shooting themselves in the foot. NO had a tougher game than I expected.

Yeah nice win for SF. Browns did kinda shoot themselves in the foot, especially back2back big penalties setting up SEA TD. SEA did fly low though on defense and on ST. ST really sucked. Defense sucked too but did get 4 TOs. To me, surprisingly, strong play was SEA's OL, which did pretty well with 2 starters out due to injury (starting LT Brown, & RG Fluker). Fant (LT) and Jamarco Jones (RG) filled in very well. In fact, last week it was Jones who filled in for Fluker in the first half vs the Rams, played the rest of the game, and pretty much shut down Aaron Donald. Other SEA offensive players played well today too, but it was the OL that surprised me. SEA had some really bad play calls.

For CLE, Mayfield made some nice plays, but some of his passes were off target just enough that the WRs could not make the catch even though they got their hand(s) on the ball. Some of those prolly shoulda not been dropped. Baker did play hurt the last half (looked like maybe a left hip contusion he got being tackled on one of his scramble runs), and that might have affected him some.

Yeah nice win for SF. Browns did kinda shoot themselves in the foot, especially back2back big penalties setting up SEA TD. SEA did fly low though on defense and on ST. ST really sucked. Defense sucked too but did get 4 TOs. To me, surprisingly, strong play was SEA's OL, which did pretty well with 2 starters out due to injury (starting LT Brown, & RG Fluker). Fant (LT) and Jamarco Jones (RG) filled in very well. In fact, last week it was Jones who filled in for Fluker in the first half vs the Rams, played the rest of the game, and pretty much shut down Aaron Donald. Other SEA offensive players played well today too, but it was the OL that surprised me. SEA had some really bad play calls.

For CLE, Mayfield made some nice plays, but some of his passes were off target just enough that the WRs could not make the catch even though they got their hand(s) on the ball. Some of those prolly shoulda not been dropped. Baker did play hurt the last half (looked like maybe a left hip contusion he got being tackled on one of his scramble runs), and that might have affected him some.
Painful that officials feel they need to run the game. What was it like in the Browns/SH final 3 minutes...8 penalty calls?

Same thing happened at the end of the Dallas-Jets game. Something like 6 flags in a row, some of them very nit picky.

Yes, the end of the Browns-Seattle game was a bit ugly. Mayfield is stressful to watch. At 2-4 though the Browns still look like they could take that division. Seattle an impressive 5-1 with Wilson looking like the MVP at this point.

Which team is more of a disappointment, or surprise at this point? Chargers, Falcons, Rams, Browns?

As great of a story Allen is in Carolina, there has to be other reasons they are on a win streak, Christian McCaffery for one. But the question does linger, when Cam is healthy...

After looking like they could take command of the NFC east, the Eagles really folded against the Vikings. Props to them for going 4-2, and two stellar games by Cousins.

49ers starting to look for real behind that defense. Especially the DL. They have real power in Buckner and Jones able to both stuff the run, and apply pressure up the middle. Add Bosa and Armstead coming off the ends, as well as Ford. This front four are so dominant it makes it a lot easier for the linebackers, especially in any kind of coverage scheme like a Tampa 2. It's been said many times games are won and lost in the trenches, and the Niners spending money, and drafting high for their DL is paying huge dividends. Keep in mind that on offense they are still missing Staley, as well as monster McGlinchey out for at least a month. Presuming they, as well as Juszczyk come back later in the season, the Niners could make a serious run, though their remaining schedule may be a real test after next week: @WAS, CAR, @ARI, SEA, ARI, GB, @BAL, @NO, ATL, LAR, @SEA

Reactions: movingtarget
Same thing happened at the end of the Dallas-Jets game. Something like 6 flags in a row, some of them very nit picky.

Yes, the end of the Browns-Seattle game was a bit ugly. Mayfield is stressful to watch. At 2-4 though the Browns still look like they could take that division. Seattle an impressive 5-1 with Wilson looking like the MVP at this point.

Which team is more of a disappointment, or surprise at this point? Chargers, Falcons, Rams, Browns?

As great of a story Allen is in Carolina, there has to be other reasons they are on a win streak, Christian McCaffery for one. But the question does linger, when Cam is healthy...

After looking like they could take command of the NFC east, the Eagles really folded against the Vikings. Props to them for going 4-2, and two stellar games by Cousins.

49ers starting to look for real behind that defense. Especially the DL. They have real power in Buckner and Jones able to both stuff the run, and apply pressure up the middle. Add Bosa and Armstead coming off the ends, as well as Ford. This front four are so dominant it makes it a lot easier for the linebackers, especially in any kind of coverage scheme like a Tampa 2. It's been said many times games are won and lost in the trenches, and the Niners spending money, and drafting high for their DL is paying huge dividends. Keep in mind that on offense they are still missing Staley, as well as monster McGlinchey out for at least a month. Presuming they, as well as Juszczyk come back later in the season, the Niners could make a serious run, though their remaining schedule may be a real test after next week: @WAS, CAR, @ARI, SEA, ARI, GB, @BAL, @NO, ATL, LAR, @SEA

Yes the Niners are in a good place. They even have Solomon Thomas coming off the bench as a top draft pick as well even though he hasn't lived up to the college hype. What a shame Reuben Foster, also a top draft pick didn't also show up. Juice and Staley are due back in about 4-6weeks. Their running game is also strong with Breida, Mostert and Coleman, and Jeff Wilson in reserve. Oddly Robbie Gould's kicking has gone off suddenly. 49ers meet the Panthers in two weeks which should be an interesting game but the back end of the season is tough for the Niners. Their new red zone WR Jalen Hurd is injured which has cost them. The lack of a seasoned WR is apparent at the moment. Goodwin just doesn't get open enough even though he is a speedster and Jimmy has to stop turning the ball over at QB. Kittle as usual is a handful for any team.

The Browns, Rams and Cowboys are not doing themselves any favors at the moment. Kansas is also not looking that good. NO and NE keep rolling along.

The officials have been flag happy in all the games I've watched. It is coming to the point I'm expecting a flag every play.
So Detroit was playing a very opportunistic, lucky and dynamic game. Then the officials called two very consequential "hand to the face" penalties on Detroit's Foster that changed the game. This, after they called a personal foul on Detroit's DB when going for the same pass as GB's receiver. That call was an easy NO CALL and yet there was no conferring among officials. Detroit's game was effectively given to GB and still the Lions played to the end. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Ever and that includes the "touchdown" that the Steelers won a Super Bowl over the Seahawks way back when.
Even Aaron Rodgers seemed a little embarrassed that he came away with the win.

There were several PI calls that were equally STOOPID. Bad MNF.

So Detroit was playing a very opportunistic, lucky and dynamic game. Then the officials called two very consequential "hand to the face" penalties on Detroit's Foster that changed the game. This, after they called a personal foul on Detroit's DB when going for the same pass as GB's receiver. That call was an easy NO CALL and yet there was no conferring among officials. Detroit's game was effectively given to GB and still the Lions played to the end. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Ever and that includes the "touchdown" that the Steelers won a Super Bowl over the Seahawks way back when.
Even Aaron Rodgers seemed a little embarrassed that he came away with the win.

There were several PI calls that were equally STOOPID. Bad MNF.

Not to mention a packer TD that the receiver had his knee down while touched before passing the endzone line. Crazy year so far and will only get worse if not accounted for.

Edit: I stand corrected, the packers receiver didn't have control of the ball until in the endzone thus making it a touchdown. I had missed that part and was going off social media.

Last edited:
Next in installment of coaches making the wrong decisions, late in the 4th, we have Dallas, 8 points behind, with 50 seconds left, and 3 timeouts get the first and goal.

Jason Garret takes the TO.

But why?

50 seconds is more than enough to try the end zone.
You dont need to use it.

On the other hand, if you do get the TD you still need the 2 pointer.

In which case:
If you get the 2 pointer, your opponents, have more time on the clock for the FG.
If you don't get the 2 pointer, you can no longer use your TO's to force them to run the ball, and get an albeit improbable shot at the end zone.

Next in installment of coaches making the wrong decisions, late in the 4th, we have Dallas, 8 points behind, with 50 seconds left, and 3 timeouts get the first and goal.

Jason Garret takes the TO.

But why?

50 seconds is more than enough to try the end zone.
You dont need to use it.

On the other hand, if you do get the TD you still need the 2 pointer.

In which case:
If you get the 2 pointer, your opponents, have more time on the clock for the FG.
If you don't get the 2 pointer, you can no longer use your TO's to force them to run the ball, and get an albeit improbable shot at the end zone.
Yeah, I agree. That was bad clock management. The only reason I can think why Garrett called the TO after getting the first down is to have a few specific words with Dak. Recall, one play before Dallas got the first down on 2nd and 1 Dak made a poor, risky throw to Austin that was almost picked by the Jets' Maye. Maybe Garrett wanted to tell Dak not to make anymore bad decisions down there. Maybe Dak needed to be settled down, tho I think not. Dallas still needed the TD, so maybe Garrett asked Dak what play he'd like to run. Most likely though, Dallas was in the part of the field where, as Tony Romo put it, "where you are going to have to run your best 2-point conversion plays" just to get the TD. So Dallas had to be a bit creative with their play calling to get the TD, knowing they'd have to run one of their better 2-point conversion plays right after scoring the TD. That is probably why Garrett called the TO. But if that's the reason for calling the TO, why wasn't Dallas better prepared for that situation (down by 8 inside a minute to play and inside the 5-yard line)? Any team should be prepared for that situation and know before game vs that team what they will do. Unless the way the game played out they don't have confidence in the plan for that situation. What adjustments during the game might have been made that could have rocked Dallas' confidence to run their plan in that situation. Also recall who the Jets DC is. Greg Williams, who has a way of being unique and aggressive. As Romo said, "Greg Williams is going to come at you with everybody".

So the play Dallas called was a QB draw to get the TD. So on the 2-point conversion, Greg Williams brings pressure via safety blitz up the middle (Jamal Adams). Just too many hats for Dallas to block everyone, and up the middle is the shortest path to the QB on a dropback pass.

Yeah, I agree. That was bad clock management. The only reason I can think why Garrett called the TO after getting the first down is to have a few specific words with Dak. Recall, one play before Dallas got the first down on 2nd and 1 Dak made a poor, risky throw to Austin that was almost picked by the Jets' Maye. Maybe Garrett wanted to tell Dak not to make anymore bad decisions down there. Maybe Dak needed to be settled down, tho I think not. Dallas still needed the TD, so maybe Garrett asked Dak what play he'd like to run. Most likely though, Dallas was in the part of the field where, as Tony Romo put it, "where you are going to have to run your best 2-point conversion plays" just to get the TD. So Dallas had to be a bit creative with their play calling to get the TD, knowing they'd have to run one of their better 2-point conversion plays right after scoring the TD. That is probably why Garrett called the TO. But if that's the reason for calling the TO, why wasn't Dallas better prepared for that situation (down by 8 inside a minute to play and inside the 5-yard line)? Any team should be prepared for that situation and know before game vs that team what they will do. Unless the way the game played out they don't have confidence in the plan for that situation. What adjustments during the game might have been made that could have rocked Dallas' confidence to run their plan in that situation. Also recall who the Jets DC is. Greg Williams, who has a way of being unique and aggressive. As Romo said, "Greg Williams is going to come at you with everybody".

So the play Dallas called was a QB draw to get the TD. So on the 2-point conversion, Greg Williams brings pressure via safety blitz up the middle (Jamal Adams). Just too many hats for Dallas to block everyone, and up the middle is the shortest path to the QB on a dropback pass.
Agreed. Thats probably why JG did it. But, i dont think the benefits outweighed the cost.

You have 3 TO's but if you use even 1 on offense you have as good as 0.

Dak made dangerous throws but he has to at that part of the game. If you were going to win the game clean you wouldn't be 8 pts down with a minute left. 8 pts down with a minute left is - throw caution to the wind a bit. I would say the TD at that stage is less important than what happens after. You have 4 downs so take risks, hope for the TD and make sure you are in a position to take advantage once that happens.

Sorry if I just ruined your watching experience, and you're going to now forever analyze broadcasts of games. :oops:

Thanks, good insight. My issue is that I only have access to highlights, usually on the NFL Yutube channel, so the production and camera work can be very different. Watching the Browns/Seahawks highlights, they did a pretty good job of showing the everyone at the start of the play and keeping the receivers in view if they were below or around the secondary. Any further and you had to guess what the route was. It did seem that the positions of the cameras meant that it depended which direction a team was playing as to whether you would get a good view of the play or not. Left to right was good, right to left was occasionally poor.

I can't imagine Carolina would buck the trend and start Newton when Allen has the hot hand and the team is on a winning streak. And Allen is impressive completing almost 67% of his passes with 5 TDs and no picks. He hasn't done anything to hurt the team and is 3-0 as a starter.

This team was bad last year at 7-9. I think Rivera's job is on the line to make the playoffs this year. They have one of the best all-purpose backs in the league and a decent defense so they shoukd be expected to be in contention for the playoffs. And at 4-2 they're right behind NO in the division standings . Besides if they play Newton and start losing again - do they then switch back to Allen and play musical QBs like that nonsense at Miami?

I don't think top drafted veteran QBs have it made in the shade anymore. If they're not winning bench them in favor of the backup. Coaches are under tremendous pressure to win and win now...nothing new there. Look last week with the Titans vs the Broncos. Mariota stunk up the joint so bad and played like an undrafted rookie (under & over throwing receivers who were wide open). He was eventually benched in the 2nd half in favor of Tannehill. Now Tannehill gets the start this week and Mariota holds a clipboard. Mariota was the 2nd OA pick in 2015 and the team had a winning record last year (but missed the playoffs) and Mariota is benched before the halfway point of the season! And at 2-4 this year, you can see the stress on Vrabel's face. Win now and win often is what most owners want.

Last edited:
Or to a lesser extent Chiefs in 17 starting 5-0 and ending 10-6 or the Steelers collapse last year. Anything can happen, season isn't over until February 2.

Pats defense is far superior then last year and you can go back to the playoffs to see that and they only got better.
Speaking of the Chiefs -I think they face a must win tonight here in the Mile High City. There coming off a 2 game losing streak at home and now face a Bronco team that has developed a little momentum with a 2 game winning streak pitching a shutout against the Titans last week (though Tennessee's offense was pathetic).

The Chiefs will be without Watkins and their best DL Chris Jones. And just how bad is Mahomes' ankle? He looked somewhat immobile last week and seems to have some difficulty on making certain throws off that ankle. And a quick turnaround playing on the road on TNF isn't good.

I still think KC is the better team here, but it's TNF and the pressure is all on KC. They lose this game and Oakland wins, Oakland leads the division and the Broncos are just a game behind, and the AFC West is flipped upside down (wasn't it supposed to be the Chiefs & Chargers running away with this division?).

If the Broncos offense can score some points and control the clock they can win. Especially if the Chiefs keep trying to go for huge gains instead of short passes or runs. I forget who said it, but it was a running back on the Eagles when Reid was the head coach and he said Reid's biggest fault is not running enough because he only believes in the big gains and thinks if he got 5 yard son a run, he could have got 20 plus on a pass.

I'm hoping Mahomes doesn't injury himself more with the short week. But if they lose, and it gets tight later on with Patriots and Texans the Chiefs could end up with the 3rd seed at best.

I only just watched the MNF game, lions at packers.

Jesus christ did the refs just straight up give the game to the packers.

I didn't personally have any horse in the race there, but to see the refs home cook for the overwhelming favourite when the historically bad underdog actually brings it, is very disapointing.

I only just watched the MNF game, lions at packers.

Jesus christ did the refs just straight up give the game to the packers.

I didn't personally have any horse in the race there, but to see the refs home cook for the overwhelming favourite when the historically bad underdog actually brings it, is very disapointing.

The lions didn't do themselves any good with all the field goals but the defense did enough twice on both the hands to the face to stop the packers and give their offense a chance. The helmet to helmet was ticky tacky on a call by the letter of the rules but the defender was clearly going for the ball the whole way.

Chiefs doing good so far. Broncos have had some bad choices, case in point the fake punt play. Chiefs pulled an even worse play on 4th and short in field goal range. While they got the first like down they end up with a field goal and Mahomes injuring his leg more and Moore in so far at QB. I'm down for going for it but bad play call with an already injured quarterback and your franchise.

Good game overall for the Chiefs while Broncos had many glaring issues. The offense couldn't move the ball, protect Flacco, and Flacco played bad. Thought it would have been closer because of divisional, short week, the defense, and they're at home. Hoping Mahomes recovers as soon as he can.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS