• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 426 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The stakes for SE in its game vs. SF may not be that much. Start with GB's win over MN. This means that the loser of SF@SE is the fifth seed, or first WC, and will play at either Dallas or Philly. No worries about possibly being a six seed and going to GB or NO. SE's loss to AZ, though, means that if GB and NO both win their last game--maybe even if they don't--the Seahawks will be just the third seed. Is that much better than being the fifth seed? The third seed still has to play a WC game, they just get to play at home. But that may not be an advantage for SE. If they are third seed, they host MN, rather than going to Dallas or Philly. For all their problems, the Vikings appear to be a much better team than Dallas or Philly, even on the road vs. at home. So while they probably won't look at it that way, you could make a very good argument that SE would be better off losing to SF and going to Dallas or Philly.

What about going deeper in the playoffs? If SE won its game as the third seed, they would play the second seeded team. If they won their game as a fifth seed, who they played next would depend on the outcome of MN vs. the third seed. NO and GB would be the top two seeds in the first scenario, but we don't know at this point in which order. But does it matter? NO is probably the better team,but at least you can play the Saints in a warm dome, whereas a game in GB might be another epic ice bowl. If SEwon its game as a fifthseed, who they played next would depend on who won the 6 vs. 3 WC game. IF MN won, they would play the no. 1 seed, the 49ers, whereasif GB or NO won, SE would play the 49ers. So probably SE would have to play the 49ers, but they know them, of cours.e

If the 49ers win, they're definitely the no. 1 seed, so they do have a lot of stake. But another consequence o SE's loss to AZ is that the 49ers could win the division if they just tie SE. That seems unlikely, but remember when the two teams met earlier in the season, the game almost ended in a tie, and probably would have if the 49ers hadn't passed--literally--on a chance for a tie. But if they do tie this time, and NO and GB win their final game, then the 49ers are a third seed, with the potential disadvantage of hosting MN. It could get really interesting if the game were Sunday night, because then the 49ers would know where they stood if they tied,and that might affect any decisions they made if the game went to OT. If they were looking at a third seed with a tie, I'd think they'be well-advised not to play for a tie, unless they can do it without affecting their chances of winning.

Meanwhile, while the winner of the NFC E may be 8-8--if you think Philly isn't fully capable of losing to the NYG, you haven't been paying attention--the same may also be true in the AFC, where two 8-7 teams and two 7-8 teams all have a shot for the second WC.
Eagles are no certainties to beat the Giants but they have looked better in the past few games. Green Bay should beat Detroit who have collapsed in the second half of the season. I still think the NFC is very open no matter where teams are seeded while the AFC is more fractured. I put the Patriots and Ravens ahead of the rest even though the Bills have improved, their offense is still having issues. The Chiefs are looking better as well. Injuries have affected the Niners and Hawks but I still don't think there is much separating those two teams from the Saints and the Packers. Niners and Saints have more weapons on offense while the two QBs for the other two teams still know how to manufacture wins in close games. I just don't see the Vikings or Eagles being SB material and the Vikings need Cook back to have any hope.

Why the heck is Seattle signing a convicted doper?

There's a couple of decent free agents out there in C.J. Anderson & Doug Martin and they go and sign a doper? Lol.

This is where the NFL is becoming a barrel of Laughs and more of an entertainment organization such as the WWE. In cycling, a rider gets popped for a PED violation and they're thrown off the team for good and pretty much tarred & feathered for the rest of their career. And after serving their ban, their chances of getting back into professional cycling is slim to none.

Seattle wants to give a convicted doper another chance? (So, I guess Carroll will sit down with him and say; "listen son, can you lay off the PEDs while you're playing for us because if you get target tested and come up glowing...I'll have a lot of explaining to do. Lol).
WOW! First, you clearly don't understand the NFL. Second, you bash signing someone who got caught and offer someone who got caught.

*If you are interested, you should talk to someone who played to understand how guys survive in the NFL while dancing with the testing proto.
*A busted guy was the SB MVP last year (because they all know that it could have been them).
*The NFL has some issues, but this is your "barrel of laughs"?!
*The NFL IS an entertainment organization.

WOW! First, you clearly don't understand the NFL. Second, you bash signing someone who got caught and offer someone who got caught.

*If you are interested, you should talk to someone who played to understand how guys survive in the NFL while dancing with the testing proto.
*A busted guy was the SB MVP last year (because they all know that it could have been them).
Bb

Well...if I "clearly don't understand" the NFL and PED use, then please explain it to me. Secondly, I stand corrected on Martin with a previous suspension back in 2016 for Adderall (which is a stimulant and actually now falls under the substance-abuse policy). I didn't follow Martin much so I wasn't aware of his PED suspension. I recall hearing about Turbin's PED suspension and remembering that he runs a youth football program ("Robert Turbin Football Academy") in which the PED violation, IMO, is even more egregious. And I followed Anderson when he played here in Denver - I don't see any dirty laundry on his record.

And I know about Edelman's PED suspension last year and the 4 games he had to sit. Which brings up a concern of mine as to why does the NFL hand out a ridiculous 4-game suspension for a serious infraction like PED use? MLB suspends a first time offender a whopping 80 games - which is basically half the friggin season! They seem serious about stopping doping in basesball - what's wrong with the NFL? (is it the player's union that's pushing for leniency?).

And what do you mean by "how guys survive in the NFL while dancing with the testing proto." Are you inferring rampant PED use with teams? I know guys "survive" in the NFL with rampant use of Toradol & pain killers - nothing new there (but those aren't performance enhancing and just allow an injured player, who should sit, to get on the field & play - but the players are not 100%, even with the drugs). But what about PEDs? (i.e. steroids, testosterone, HGH, GHRP, SARMs, etc.). Are most teams using PEDs? How about the superstars in the league? What percentage is caught vs actual doping?

I said I thought that Seattle's signing of Turbin was ridiculous given the PED suspension and the fact that he runs a youth football program (what kind of example does that set for the youngsters?). However, if PEDs use is rampant in the league because players are "dancing around the testing protocol" then the NFL is creating an illusion that it's a clean organization and that it comes down to pure talent winning the day. Because if you know anything about androgens & GH and strength/power-related sports, these drugs will unlevel the playing field really fast.

Running backs who bulk up with androgens/GH become bigger & stronger over their natural playing weight & strength capabilities. That means more rushing attempts which means more yardage. It means breaking more tackles. It means more durability and less injuries & better post-game recovery - all this performance enhancing & game changing in a big way. Same with lineman, LBs, DBs, etc - virtually every position could have a decisive advantage with certain PEDs. And if there's rampant PED use, then I would think it would come down to less with the "X's & O's" and more about which teams have the better PED programs.

Last edited:
We already know that Lamar Jackson isn't going to play this weekend. The Ravens have the #1 seed locked up, and he essentially has the MVP locked up as well. But there are two other playoff teams who could rest players, and they are Buffalo and Minnesota. Two wild card teams whose seeds are set. It's not too often WC teams rest players on week 17 due to playoff dynamic, but I expect it to happen in both cases, though I don't expect Josh Allen to sit much for Buffalo.

If Robert Griffin ever were to be in a golden "comeback" opportunity, it's now. His best chance at getting a ring are this year. He didn't have to deal the rigors of an entire season, but definitely got to contribute and feel good about that. He also gets to start this weekend, which is a great chance for him to show he still has a great arm, and can play at an elite level leading an offense. I'm not saying he's going to try to be a starter in the league again next season, but if you look at the FA list of QB's likely free next year, he wouldn't be too far from the top pick, which is either Dak Prescott or Teddy Bridgewater. But there's a good chance both will stay on their perspective teams. This means RG3 will be "competing" against Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Andy Dalton in all likelihood. My gut tells me Tom Brady is staying put in NE, Philip Rivers will retire, as will Eli Manning. I should note RG3 did sign a 2-year deal in the off season with the Ravens, though it's only $2m, and workable for any deal. Griffin is still only just 29.

Reactions: jmdirt
Bb

Well...if I "clearly don't understand" the NFL and PED use, then please explain it to me. Secondly, I stand corrected on Martin with a previous suspension back in 2016 for Adderall (which is a stimulant and actually now falls under the substance-abuse policy). I didn't follow Martin much so I wasn't aware of his PED suspension. I recall hearing about Turbin's PED suspension and remembering that he runs a youth football program ("Robert Turbin Football Academy") in which the PED violation, IMO, is even more egregious. And I followed Anderson when he played here in Denver - I don't see any dirty laundry on his record.

And I know about Edelman's PED suspension last year and the 4 games he had to sit. Which brings up a concern of mine as to why does the NFL hand out a ridiculous 4-game suspension for a serious infraction like PED use? MLB suspends a first time offender a whopping 80 games - which is basically half the friggin season! They seem serious about stopping doping in basesball - what's wrong with the NFL? (is it the player's union that's pushing for leniency?).

And what do you mean by "how guys survive in the NFL while dancing with the testing proto." Are you inferring rampant PED use with teams? I know guys "survive" in the NFL with rampant use of Toradol & pain killers - nothing new there (but those aren't performance enhancing and just allow an injured player, who should sit, to get on the field & play - but the players are not 100%, even with the drugs). But what about PEDs? (i.e. steroids, testosterone, HGH, GHRP, SARMs, etc.). Are most teams using PEDs? How about the superstars in the league? What percentage is caught vs actual doping?

I said I thought that Seattle's signing of Turbin was ridiculous given the PED suspension and the fact that he runs a youth football program (what kind of example does that set for the youngsters?). However, if PEDs use is rampant in the league because players are "dancing around the testing protocol" then the NFL is creating an illusion that it's a clean organization and that it comes down to pure talent winning the day. Because if you know anything about androgens & GH and strength/power-related sports, these drugs will unlevel the playing field really fast.

Running backs who bulk up with androgens/GH become bigger & stronger over their natural playing weight & strength capabilities. That means more rushing attempts which means more yardage. It means breaking more tackles. It means more durability and less injuries & better post-game recovery - all this performance enhancing & game changing in a big way. Same with lineman, LBs, DBs, etc - virtually every position could have a decisive advantage with certain PEDs. And if there's rampant PED use, then I would think it would come down to less with the "X's & O's" and more about which teams have the better PED programs.
I would have thought that CJ Anderson would have been a better choice. He did well at the Rams last season when Gurley got hurt.

We already know that Lamar Jackson isn't going to play this weekend. The Ravens have the #1 seed locked up, and he essentially has the MVP locked up as well. But there are two other playoff teams who could rest players, and they are Buffalo and Minnesota. Two wild card teams whose seeds are set. It's not too often WC teams rest players on week 17 due to playoff dynamic, but I expect it to happen in both cases, though I don't expect Josh Allen to sit much for Buffalo.

If Robert Griffin ever were to be in a golden "comeback" opportunity, it's now. His best chance at getting a ring are this year. He didn't have to deal the rigors of an entire season, but definitely got to contribute and feel good about that. He also gets to start this weekend, which is a great chance for him to show he still has a great arm, and can play at an elite level leading an offense. I'm not saying he's going to try to be a starter in the league again next season, but if you look at the FA list of QB's likely free next year, he wouldn't be too far from the top pick, which is either Dak Prescott or Teddy Bridgewater. But there's a good chance both will stay on their perspective teams. This means RG3 will be "competing" against Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and Andy Dalton in all likelihood. My gut tells me Tom Brady is staying put in NE, Philip Rivers will retire, as will Eli Manning. I should note RG3 did sign a 2-year deal in the off season with the Ravens, though it's only $2m, and workable for any deal. Griffin is still only just 29.
Rivers and Eli should retire. Ben may not be far off. Who would want to be coaching Winston at the moment ? Two picks with his first two throws last week, more in the second half but he also does brilliant things during just about every game. Who would sign Cam, Rivers or Winston at the moment ? Bridgewater should be in demand. Can't see the Bears persevering with Trubisky for too much longer. Bills have found their QB but he still needs some polish. SF seem happy with Jimmy. Actually his back up Mullens would be a better starter for some teams out there. I get the feeling that the Cowboys will stick with Dak. Cousins has done well with the Vikings. Tannehill has surprised many people. Be interesting to see how RGIII goes this week.

Just finished watching the Packers Vikings game.Credit where credit is due. They outplayed from start to finish a very good team at their own stadium.

With that out of the way, Packers have Patriots like luck this year. They will get either the number 1 or 2 seed even with the same wins as NO.

I think they had 5 games against winning teams. SF who thrashed them. Eagles who are barely a winning team and also beat them. The two against the VIkings (well done). And they got one of the two KC games without Mahomes (which even then they only squeezed out because of a 4th quarter fumble by the chiefs)
You cant teach that kind of luck.

So if the NFC goes through GB, thats a big advantage for GB but they are also there to be taken. I think the Saints can beat them there. The 9ers can definately beat them there. The Vikings have a punchers chance.

The Seahawks, well despite what Alpe said, I think the Seahawks need to win on Sunday. That team cant win 3 away games to get to the Bowl. Take the home game agains the Vikings (they will still be favourites) and most importantly deny the 49ers the home seed.
They can then still get the NFC championship at home, if it is the 49ers and like 2013 they would need that HFA.

We already know that Lamar Jackson isn't going to play this weekend. The Ravens have the #1 seed locked up, and he essentially has the MVP locked up as well.
Glad to hear. DIdn't expect that at all. 2 games ago Jackson was saying he wanted to to go 4-0 in december and was even saying he wanted snaps on defense. Cooler heads prevailed.

The danger is, he could be rusty in the divisional round. Potential opponents being Texans (probably safe), Titans (dangerous) or Steelers (who they will want).

OR, the RAIDERS. Who are still remarkably in it and all of the things they need to happen, could happen, except that both the Steelers and titans are at teams that will possibly rest.

What makes me really wonder though, is I still remember the absurd ref decision in Oakland 2 weeks ago. Without which Oakland would have won, and so they actually could have been going into the week with a very good shot at the playoffs.

They wouldn't go anywhere in the playoffs, and might be better off with the higher draft pick, but still

Reactions: jmdirt

I just hope RGIII doesn't get hurt. The last time he started a game was back in 2016 with Cleveland where he hurt his shoulder early in the season and went on IR. Now he's going to run the RPO offense where he's going to get hit more often than a conventional pro offense (unless Baltimore is going to change the scheme and throw out the option run portion). And since Pittsburgh is still in the hunt for a WC, they'll nail him at any chance they get.

And Pittsburgh is now down to two QBs; Hodges & believe it or not Paxton Lynch - pulled from the practice squad to active roster this week when Rudolph was put on IR (shoulder surgery). All hopes for Pittsburgh falls on Hodges; win & a Tennessee loss and they're in:

Last edited:
Glad to hear. Didn't expect that at all. 2 games ago Jackson was saying he wanted to to go 4-0 in December and was even saying he wanted snaps on defense. Cooler heads prevailed.

The danger is, he could be rusty in the divisional round.
I'm again reminded of the 2011 Packers whom I mentioned a few posts ago. 15-1, rested Rodgers (and a few others) in week 17, then fell completely flat in the divisional game, losing to the Giants. Other teams however have rested players with success. We'll see.

Only week of the year where every team plays on the same Sunday. Some teams have little to play for except pride, a few are resting some players. Desperation, as well as both injuries and weather come into play again as well.

CLE@CIN - Browns have a little more to prove I think. Weather could be wet, nasty.
MIA@NE - Pats need to win in an effort to lock up #2 seed, and will.
CHI@MIN - Vikings reportedly resting several players, including Cousins and Cook.
LAC@KC - Chiefs hoping for #2 seed, are also on a serious roll.
NYJ@BUF - Bills aren't resting anyone other than WR Roberts, mostly because he's been hurt, and are a young team that needs the motivation.
GB
@DET - Packers aiming for a bye will put effort enough into winning here.
NO@CAR - Saints playing for the top seed. Wet weather could equalize matters.
ATL@TB - Falcons close out the season with a big "what if?"
PHI@NYG - Eagles must win, this game will not be easy as the Giants are playing better, but I think Philly has just enough to win.
TEN@HOU - Texans aren't really playing for much, but they are only resting fuller, who has been banged up. This is a hard game to pick because of that.
WAS@DAL - Dallas must win here, and they are playing at the same time as PHI vs. NYG. I think they will win, but they could also botch this game big time, play tense, while Washington is relaxed, knowing they are going to rebuild some, I can easily see that.
PIT@BAL - The Ravens are resting a heap of players, but guess what? I think the game will still be close. Connor and Pouncy are both out for Pitt. Could be wet throughout the game.
OAK
@DEN - Denver is actually playing better, but Raiders are hanging by a shoestring and must win to have any chance. Could be quite cold in Denver.
ARI@LAR - Rams playing for pride.
SF
@SEA - Here's the game to watch, obviously. A playoff game before the playoffs. Despite the motivation that Lynch brings, I think SF is a more complete team, I think their defense will step up, and Wilson won't be able to pull enough rabbits out of his hat to win.

If the Dolphins/Patriots game had been in Miami I wouldn't have been as surprised.

As for resting players, it depends on the players. To an extent it also depends on the type of offense. Offenses and QB's that heavily rely on timing seem to be impacted more by longer time off than ones that don't rely as much on timing.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Wow! The Patriots backing into the playoffs, to play a WC game next week.

I'm not sure about you guys, but I would love to see KC head to Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.

If any team needed a bye, it's Green Bay. I'm not so sure they can get to the Superbowl, but having a rest with time to heal and prep, then a game at home, is going to do them a great deal of good.

Anyone have a list for Black Monday? I'll start: Jason Garrett...

I'm not sure about you guys, but I would love to see KC head to Baltimore in the AFC Championship game.

If any team needed a bye, it's Green Bay. I'm not so sure they can get to the Superbowl, but having a rest with time to heal and prep, then a game at home, is going to do them a great deal of good.

I would say Kitchens but he was fired today.

Garrett, Mariota, Gase (even though he probably won't).

49ers continue to give me chest pains. They looked well in control of the game at halftime and then the defense started to slip again and let Wilson back into the game. 49ers are paying for ignoring their secondary issues for too long. At least Tartt should be back for the playoffs. Who would have bet against Wilson on the final drive ? I thought the Niners had lost it with a bit of help from the refs who were as good as usual.........with some bizarre calls.

Titans and Patriots should be an interesting game. Patriots will have to stop the number one RB in the league at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS