• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 433 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cut him some slack. He's old and his vision must be going. (An absolutely total joke! Love ya' Merckx, as you may be the only person on here older than me! Oh, I am wearing reading glasses while typing this, yes.) :relaxed:

I was also wrong on my Ray Guy comment. Guy actually broke 45 yards per punt in his rookie season. Oddly, that was one season he didn't win the punting title, Jerrell Wilson of the Chiefs did. Never the less, as Merckx says, punters consistently punt farther than before as a whole. Tres Wey of Washington nearly broke the 50 yard average this season, a number that's been attained a few years (Lee, Lechler, the aforementioned Baugh, who also played some defense!).

Just an edit for clarity. While I've been biased about Guy, and felt it was obvious he'd be the first punter to into the Hall, I also feel as though a few others could, maybe should be there. Wilson being one of them. Jeff Feagles and Reggie Roby also come to mind. Roby had a huge leg and quick step, and there must be a highlight reel of Feagles having balls bounce inside the 5 yard line and go out of bounds, pinning teams deep, he did it so many times for so many years. I'd have to do some research, but a few other guys could get there as well, Lechler evevtually.
Personally, I think kicking is one of the most unappreciated aspects of the game.
Here's what I will say, it is indeed an underappreciated skill. I believe it was Phil Simms who said kickers face more pressure than any other player, including the QB, and I don't disagree with him. There are already numerous factors to deal with and take into consideration before the ball is even snapped, then the kicker has to make on the fly timing adjustments as well, on top of kicking the ball extremely hard, and straight. Numerous times the entire game, season even, rides on their shoulders.

Never the less, I find games decided by FG's a lot less interesting that games decided by plays featuring the offense vs. the defense when it comes down to the last plays. This is why I advocate removing the flags from the poles at the very least (yes, I realize this does nothing in domes), and would even be good with them moving the uprights closer together, like they tested in one of the Pro Bowls a few years back. Some years ago Joe Gibbs advocated eliminating the FG in football entirely. I wouldn't go that far, but it's food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
And for kickers if the field goal is for the win or tie if they miss it is all on them from fans for why they lost. They could be perfect all night and something in the kicking process is off from any of the three and causes a miss and it's all on the kicker. Plus if the snapper or holder screws up, the kicker still receives majority of the blame.

Reactions: jmdirt
Cut him some slack. He's old and his vision must be going. (An absolutely total joke! Love ya' Merckx, as you may be the only person on here older than me! Oh, I am wearing reading glasses while typing this, yes.) :relaxed:

I was also wrong on my Ray Guy comment. Guy actually broke 45 yards per punt in his rookie season. Oddly, that was one season he didn't win the punting title, Jerrell Wilson of the Chiefs did. Never the less, as Merckx says, punters consistently punt farther than before as a whole. Tres Wey of Washington nearly broke the 50 yard average this season, a number that's been attained a few years (Lee, Lechler, the aforementioned Baugh, who also played some defense!).

Just an edit for clarity. While I've been biased about Guy, and felt it was obvious he'd be the first punter to into the Hall, I also feel as though a few others could, maybe should be there. Wilson being one of them. Jeff Feagles and Reggie Roby also come to mind. Roby had a huge leg and quick step, and there must be a highlight reel of Feagles having balls bounce inside the 5 yard line and go out of bounds, pinning teams deep, he did it so many times for so many years. I'd have to do some research, but a few other guys could get there as well, Lechler evevtually.

Here's what I will say, it is indeed an underappreciated skill. I believe it was Phil Simms who said kickers face more pressure than any other player, including the QB, and I don't disagree with him. There are already numerous factors to deal with and take into consideration before the ball is even snapped, then the kicker has to make on the fly timing adjustments as well, on top of kicking the ball extremely hard, and straight. Numerous times the entire game, season even, rides on their shoulders.

Never the less, I find games decided by FG's a lot less interesting that games decided by plays featuring the offense vs. the defense when it comes down to the last plays. This is why I advocate removing the flags from the poles at the very least (yes, I realize this does nothing in domes), and would even be good with them moving the uprights closer together, like they tested in one of the Pro Bowls a few years back. Some years ago Joe Gibbs advocated eliminating the FG in football entirely. I wouldn't go that far, but it's food for thought.
Several things:
-All games should be inside.
-FGs should only be one point (if we want to get into changing rules).
-Underappreciated, yes. Because of that and other factors though, you don't get the best guys kicking FGs.
-BUT, my OP about this was that it seems like there were more misses, and maybe more specifically, more misses in crucial situations this year than in past years (this century I think I said).
-Punters weren't part of my OP because I feel like punters are better than they used to be as a whole. Coverage guys probably help this.
-Average yards isn't as important as the number of punts pining a team deep. If your O sucks, you get to punt from your own 20 a lot and kick the crap out of it every time, but if your O is better, you kick from the other side of the field more often (reducing your average).

And for kickers if the field goal is for the win or tie if they miss it is all on them from fans for why they lost. They could be perfect all night and something in the kicking process is off from any of the three and causes a miss and it's all on the kicker. Plus if the snapper or holder screws up, the kicker still receives majority of the blame.
That would depend on the definition of 'fan'. :)

-FGs should only be one point (if we want to get into changing rules).

I think I said before on here that field goals would be interesting if you got points based on how far the kick is:
1 point- 0-19 yards
2 point- 20-29 yards
3 point- 30-39 yards
Etc.

As 40 plus it starts getting harder for the kicker to make while the closer you are do you really want to settle for 1 or 2 points.

Skip Bayless picked the Titans to beat the Patriots and the Ravens and he is now picking them to beat the Chiefs. Kudos for that because most of the ESPN and Fox so called experts never mentioned the Titans pre playoffs or just as an afterthought. It seems most of them are tipping the 49ers to win the other game as well. Some people are expecting something miraculous from Rodgers. I still think most of the pressure is on Andy Reid and Rodgers with their playoff records. For me the only way that Green Bay can win is to not let the 49ers defense settle and mix up their play calls and tempo and hope that the 49ers have some turnovers and flags. If the 49ers run game works as well as it did against the Vikings then GB will struggle. I still tend to think that the 49ers will find a way to win and for once I will agree with Bayless and take the Titans who look out gunned on paper but I think they have the style of play to bother the Chiefs who don't have a great run defense usually. Expect the Titans to stick to the script that has served them well so far in the playoffs.

While I was out to eat tonight I spied a TV with a 'classic 1998' NFL playoff game: GB vs. SF. I saw Favre duking it out with a SF lineman! And Mariuci having an absolute meltdown at the refs about something. It would have been fun to watch more but those two peaks almost got me in trouble! :)

EDIT: in other news...Garrett does end up at NYG. It just feels wrong to me.

Last edited:
While I was out to eat tonight I spied a TV with a 'classic 1998' NFL playoff game: GB vs. SF. I saw Favre duking it out with a SF lineman! And Mariuci having an absolute meltdown at the refs about something. It would have been fun to watch more but those two peaks almost got me in trouble! :)

EDIT: in other news...Garrett does end up at NYG. It just feels wrong to me.
Yeah Garrett at the Giants is an odd one but not the oddest so far ! Yet he wasn't calling the plays at the Cowboys anyway and McCarthy has agreed that he won't be calling the plays either.......for the moment ! Sounds like another Jerry decision but one that might end up being overturned later if the Cowboys are not looking playoff bound.

Yeah...I was watching some of that game last night on the NFL Network. I remember watching it live on my old Panasonic tube TV back when I was a young(er) man. Lol. Did you happen to notice a young Andy Reid there on the sidelines? He was quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach under Holmgren.

Another interesting tidbit: That was Steve Young's last full season - the following year he played in only the first 3 games before a season-ending concussion and ultimately his retirement. If they had the helmets they have now, he might have been able to play a few more years.

Last edited:
Skip Bayless picked the Titans to beat the Patriots and the Ravens and he is now picking them to beat the Chiefs. Kudos for that because most of the ESPN and Fox so called experts never mentioned the Titans pre playoffs or just as an afterthought. It seems most of them are tipping the 49ers to win the other game as well. Some people are expecting something miraculous from Rodgers. I still think most of the pressure is on Andy Reid and Rodgers with their playoff records. For me the only way that Green Bay can win is to not let the 49ers defense settle and mix up their play calls and tempo and hope that the 49ers have some turnovers and flags. If the 49ers run game works as well as it did against the Vikings then GB will struggle. I still tend to think that the 49ers will find a way to win and for once I will agree with Bayless and take the Titans who look out gunned on paper but I think they have the style of play to bother the Chiefs who don't have a great run defense usually. Expect the Titans to stick to the script that has served them well so far in the playoffs.
I think there's a lot of pressure on Reid. This is their best chance to get to the SB as NE was their stumbling block last year (no surprises there). NE was one & done and Baltimore, who I thought would have the inside track to the SB, was upset. I think KC is the better team and they're at Arrowhead with a 100% Mahomes. So, as much as KC has to stop (or slow) Henry, Tennessee has the monumental task of stopping Mahomes. And since KC lost to them earlier in the season, they won't be taking them lightly and the revenge factor will be in full mode.

IMO, absolutely no pressure on Tennessee - they've exceeded expectations. Though Vrabel was on the hot seat this year after going 9-7 in his first season and no playoffs, I can't imagine ownership would have expected them in the championship game via beating NE & #1 seed Baltimore. I think a playoff win was the expectation given the fact that Varbel's predecessor, Mularkey, who also went 9-7 (his third season) and was one & one in his only playoff appearance that year that ultimately got him fired in 2017.

Credit Vrabel in making that QB change way back against the Broncos in week #6. They were 2-4 with Mariota and 7-3 after the switch to Tannehill. Some coaches would have continued to ride the storm with Mariota a few weeks more before making any changes.

Last edited:
Yeah...I was watching some of that game last night on the NFL Network. I remember watching it live on my old Panasonic tube TV back when I was a young(er) man. Lol. Did you happen to notice a young Andy Reid there on the sidelines? He was quarterbacks coach & assistant head coach under Holmgren.

Another interesting tidbit: That was Steve Young's last full season - the following year he played in only the first 3 games before a season-ending concussion and ultimately his retirement. If they had the helmets they have now, he might have been able to play a few more years.
I could listen to Steve Young talk football all day. Definitely one of the better NFL media experts out there.

Reactions: Nomad
I get the most improved but also comeback player? Would have been better to give it to someone else. He came back from being ***, others came back from serious injuries and played more than 10 games.
Jimmy Garappolo comes to mind. Earl Thomas as well.

A little off the radar, but very significant is Darren Waller, TE for the Raiders. He's had so many problems, substance abuse, suspended a few times, once for an entire season. His best year was 2016 with 10 catches before missing all of 2017 due to suspension. Last year he "survived" the season and sat the bench, with just 6 catches all year. This year? Played all 16 games, a whopping 90 receptions for 1,145 yards and a 12.7 average. These are pro-bowl numbers, Just astounding for a guy who hardly played last year, and two years was essentially out of the league.

I agree Nomad, the pressure has to really be on Reid now. If there is one thing that will benefit them, it's the way they almost botched last week's game. That game will help them focus a little when they get on the field, knowing this is possible. But Reid has to be thinking, "I can't blow this one, this year".

I also agree with Movingtarget that I can see SF grind the ball on the ground quite a bit against GB. I don't expect a blowout like before, but I think SF's running will be the key to them getting enough points to win. They just can't swap FG's on long drives for TD's, or make bad turnovers (ask Baltimore) in this process.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Maybe what helped him getting Comeback was being injured all of 2017, injured again in 2018 and missed 5 games from it (not close to the amount of time as Grappolo or Thomas), completely overlooked, talked down upon, and demoted. To then come out and have the regular season he had with the possibility of career highs if he played all 16 games. I think he deserves both as that criteria makes me think of both awards. I could see a big passing game tomorrow. Some people forget that the Titans were averaging 30+ with Tannehill and have like a 97% red zone TD percentage. They haven't kicked a field goal in weeks.

Maybe what helped him getting Comeback was being injured all of 2017, injured again in 2018 and missed 5 games from it (not close to the amount of time as Grappolo or Thomas), completely overlooked, talked down upon, and demoted. To then come out and have the regular season he had with the possibility of career highs if he played all 16 games. I think he deserves both as that criteria makes me think of both awards. I could see a big passing game tomorrow. Some people forget that the Titans were averaging 30+ with Tannehill and have like a 97% red zone TD percentage. They haven't kicked a field goal in weeks.
Can't believe people are knocking him with his stats. Comparing him to Mahomes and others. Sure he doesn't rack up huge yards regularly but he makes plays and limits his mistakes. He has surprised many people. He doesn't have the raw skill of a Mahomes or Rodgers but he's become a winner on a pretty well balanced team. Some of those deep balls he has been throwing have been outstanding. He's the right QB for a team like the Titans and it's working well at the moment. See how he copes with the Kansas pass rush. I think it could turn out to be the better game of the two.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Can't believe people are knocking him with his stats. Comparing him to Mahomes and others. Sure he doesn't rack up huge yards regularly but he makes plays and limits his mistakes. He has surprised many people. He doesn't have the raw skill of a Mahomes or Rodgers but he's become a winner on a pretty well balanced team. Some of those deep balls he has been throwing have been outstanding. He's the right QB for a team like the Titans and it's working well at the moment. See how he copes with the Kansas pass rush. I think it could turn out to be the better game of the two.

Especially since people's biggest criticism on him with the Dolphins was his deep ball accuracy and arm when he had Wallace, Landry, Stills, and Parker. Though he showed plenty of times he had that, Gase and Philbin just didn't trust him.

I hope he does good and I wouldn't be suprised if the Titans go for big on the first play with a playaction. Especially since all the Chiefs defensive players have done is talk about Henry. I agree, I think it'll be the better game tomorrow. Stinks it starts at a busy point of work but I digress.

Let me start this Sunday with #44!!!!! :)

EDIT Post Game:
PM's run at the end of the first half was the game. Yes, he is an amazing athlete, but even the worst D in the league, let alone TEN, CAN'T let that happen!

The O runs through Henry and they abandon that...WTH?! Its hard to say who is to blame, but them not doing what they do, is inexcusable.

Congrats Chiefs/Reid /Et al!

Last edited:
Congratulations to the Chiefs progressing, their offense definitely is something else with their speed and Mahomes ability to extend plays. Andy could finally get his Super Bowl. The defense stepped up huge.

Not anywhere near the reason they lost as the Titans had some bad penalties and I felt the Chiefs got away with a little but the refs doing ref things:
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/TJCarpenterShow/status/1219033007413026816?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Congratulations to the Chiefs progressing, their offense definitely is something else with their speed and Mahomes ability to extend plays. Andy could finally get his Super Bowl. The defense stepped up huge.

Not anywhere near the reason they lost as the Titans had some bad penalties and I felt the Chiefs got away with a little but the refs doing ref things:
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/TJCarpenterShow/status/1219033007413026816?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Yes, there were several 'questionable' calls (and that one was CRAZY!).

The 40 yard PI penalty is 'correct' as the rule is written (I guess), but as has been discussed adnauseam, 40 yard penalties, especially on an under-thrown ball that had <1% chance of being caught is not good for the game. I have hated the stupid rhetoric 'he didn't get his head around' since the first time that I heard it. Who cares if his head is around, the ball wasn't going to make it to the receiver and the receiver jumped into the DB. Even if someone argues that, that is PI, it shouldn't be a 40 yarder.

Lineman gyrating all over the place, the center moving the ball and pointing, the tackle swinging his hips in to hear the call, the QB waving and dancing, the RB moving over to talk to the QB...most of the time its pin the tail on the donkey as to false start vs. off side/encroachment.

OOPS...I'm ranting!