• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 441 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The peculiar thing about Garrett is if you have seen him interviewed in the past you wouldn't have possibly guessed he would have violently freaked out like that. He comes across as articulate and thoughtful.

You mentioned Suh. When I lived in Oregon he had a home there, or family there, and during the off season people would run into him and say what a nice guy he was. A gentle giant. But you get him on the field, even in front of football media people, anything football, and he turned into Mr. Hyde. Maybe Garret has that happen as soon as he runs on the field, or the ball is snapped? Cyclists may remember the late Laurent Fignon? Some athletes are like this I guess.

The problem with Dalton is that with a couple other FA QB's out there, who really wants to roll the dice on him? I think there's a good chance Rivers may end up in TB, that's possible. But is Dalton the answer for the Chargers, as they move into that beautiful brand new stadium, he will be the face of the franchise?

I actually think the Steelers will be good next year. The entire rest of their team played quite well the 2nd half of the season, and a slew of "average" players on defense looked like a real force the more the season went on. They are very well coached, well organized, and if Ben is at all healthy, and the receivers develop a little, they look like they could make a playoff run once again. But Ben is a big "if", isn't he? Let's not forget how many games he's missed in the past due to injury, and he must be slowing down. I agree that Rudolph didn't look like the answer, neither did JT Barrett. Hey, what about Andy Dalton heading to Pittsburgh?! o_O

Don't care about the politics thread, and I can see why it got shut down. When I was a mod it was the worst forum to moderate, and it has nothing to do with cycling, sport, or much anything positive. This is at least a sports, athletics, fitness, competition, achievement thread. Few people here ever really argue with one another either. It's a very positive tone, and we're all very respectful of one another.
Speaking of Big Ben...I think it's a huge "if." The news coming out of Pittsburgh isn't very optimistic given now that he may have had Tommy John surgery. The GM is neither confirming nor denying that he had TJ surgery (remember last year they ruled out TJ surgery but wouldn't disclose what ligament(s) were damaged - which I thought was suspicious to begin with). Tommy John surgery is a 12-18 month recovery processs and some pitchers in MLB having missed up to one and one-half seasons before returning. There's no telling how much velocity and strength will be lost with his arm. And since he's not a mobile QB anymore, all he had was his arm strength & accuracy to be productive. If that elbow is compromised - how can he survive in the league? He's not getting any younger. Remember he just threw a routine pass when the ligament ruptured - wasn't like he got hit and slammed to the ground. He severely injured that elbow just throwing a normal pass - a bad sign of degenerative aging with his tendons, ligaments, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/stillcurtain.com/2020/02/14/ben-roethlisberger-elbow-steelers/amp/ g

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Good question about Andy Dalton and what will happen with him. He appears to still be a "serviceable" QB for a team that could use one.

I'm not optimistic with the news or non news out of Pittsburgh about Ben. The situation has always been a bit concerning. As Nomad said he hurt it badly with a non contact injury. As for the backups, well, I guess we'll deal with them for another year.

As for the US Political tread, well, not surprised it got shut down. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I would think the sports related thread should be fine. We all have our personal favorite teams, but these threads always appear to be civil and mostly discussion of things.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
The US politics thread got shut down...I hope that they don't end up closing other (or all) non cycling threads! I enjoy talking non cycling with cycling minded people!

The Miles Garrett situation: I just watched a clip of his ESPN OL interview that really didn't shed any light on the situation, but it makes me wonder again, how did he lose it to that level? For the sake of argument, let's say that Rudolf did use a racial slur, why did that shut Miles' brain off? I've lost count of how many guys have spoken about what a nice guy he is so we aren't talking about Suh here.

One QB that we haven't discussed much this silly season is Andy Dalton. Will he stay in CIN in some role with the #1 draft pick? If he moves on, where does he go? Chargers? I've often wondered if he is better than what we see in CIN...could he be better in a different system? He's about $20 Mil I think so...
With the Bengals almost without doubt taking Burrows in the draft I think Andy will be out. Seems like the days of top draft picks spending a season learning from mentors is over for the most part. They prefer them to learn on the job ! And a few like Jones and Haskins are learning the hard way. I wonder how long Mahomes would have sat without Alex Smith getting injured ? All the same I think Reid did the right thing with Mahomes in the short term and Mahomes himself said he learnt a lot from Smith and said he was a great guy in general.

The risk is that a player starts right away, does well, the league adjusts to him, strategies for him, and he can't adapt quick enough, and the coaching staff can't coach him enough, or the team goes through a revolving door of coaches his first few years. Some of these players have their confidence shattered in this process, especially if the team flat out sucks for that time, and they never really recover.

Anyone watching the XFL? I think they have a star in the making in Cardale Jones. He's playing fantastic for DC and is an awful lot of fun to watch. Almost every play you wait to see what he does. Back in Columbus he's still quite popular and I think the highlights of watching him play are going to help carry the league and get people to tune in.

Reactions: movingtarget
Watching XFL games? Yessiree. Saw the recent Tampa Bay vipers @ Seattle dragons. It was a pretty good experience and the league seems to have a pretty good product. I noticed several former NFL players, guys who as yet were not able to stick in the NFL, but are young and could develop into another NFL shot. So player development is a plus that the XFL can provide. NFL scouts will probably be paying attention. I like that the XFL has adopted player safety rules to provide some protection against head trauma. OFC the player talent level is not at NFL levels, but that doesn't bother me. Heck, I still watch HS games. The only negative about the XFL is the 2 minute warning seems to drag on forever, since the clock stops after every play inside 2 minutes to go, and there seems to be more official reviews. But overall, that complaint is minor and might be something I end up changing my mind on. Maybe one positive of the XFL is it could provide trial periods for rule changes that might be beneficial to the NFL.

The risk is that a player starts right away, does well, the league adjusts to him, strategies for him, and he can't adapt quick enough, and the coaching staff can't coach him enough, or the team goes through a revolving door of coaches his first few years. Some of these players have their confidence shattered in this process, especially if the team flat out sucks for that time, and they never really recover.

Anyone watching the XFL? I think they have a star in the making in Cardale Jones. He's playing fantastic for DC and is an awful lot of fun to watch. Almost every play you wait to see what he does. Back in Columbus he's still quite popular and I think the highlights of watching him play are going to help carry the league and get people to tune in.

Nice play by Jones.

Raising hand. My husband and I are watching the XFL games. We're enjoying it as well. Definitely like the new kick off rule. Find all the access to be cool. The interviews in the middle the game are fun and something I'll get used to. (I did side line reporting when I was in college for our football games and the only people you talked to were the medical people to get injury updates.) I like the more relaxed feel to the games. I think they have a good product. It's not the NFL and I wouldn't expect that, but it's watchable and entertaining.

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
In XFL game broadcasts, forgot to mention the coaches must be mic'd because you can hear the play calls like "spider 2 y banana". That's like giving away secrets and I wonder how long before other teams catch on, steal signals, and then teams having to change up some of their language every week. Allowing broadcast of play calls puzzled me because of that.

Reactions: movingtarget
In XFL game broadcasts, forgot to mention the coaches must be mic'd because you can hear the play calls like "spider 2 y banana". That's like giving away secrets and I wonder how long before other teams catch on, steal signals, and then teams having to change up some of their language every week. Allowing broadcast of play calls puzzled me because of that.

I found it surprising. At some point you'd think the defensive players would catch on to what the QB is calling at the line. However, it's known so the teams know this going in. I'm sure all the teams are watching the other games as well.

The XFL is using a 5 second delay to begin with. All local broadcasts also have a short delay, and cable TV has an even longer delay. I'm guessing they did some testing and calculating and figured by the time the play call heard actually hits the air, the players are about to snap the ball, making stealing the call, interpreting it, and relaying it to the players almost impossible.

Good article in Sports Illustrated on Drew Brees return, why the team should still be pretty good, can afford him, and more.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/02/19/drew-brees-returns-new-orleans-saints-nfl-mailbag

In the short term Brees is probably the best option for the Saints although some Saints fans seem to have already been ready for Bridgewater to take over but the Saints have to convert some opportunities or at least one in the SB as the window doesn't stay open for that long unless you are the Patriots and that is super rare. Rivers moving on from the Chargers while the Steelers must also be ready to move on from Ben anytime soon. The next generation is getting a toehold and Rodgers is another one who won't get too many more opportunities. GB got blown out by SF while Rodgers was talking about SB destiny ! The Saints never won a playoff game and the Ravens, 49ers and Chiefs have made the jump to the next level while the Titans over achieved and the Texans will put it together sooner or later as will the Vikings. The Eagles probably won't have another season like that with injuries and Seattle got crippled just before the playoffs while the Cowboys are expected to be better so it doesn't get any easier for the veteran QB's and their teams. The Rams window may have already closed as their best RB is injured, their defense collapsed and their coach and QB seems to have been figured out by the league. Rams and Bears seem to be in a similar position and the Browns at the moment only look good on paper. Trubisky and Mayfield need a better season even more than Goff otherwise it's probably back up duties. Cam Newton also at the crossroads career wise.

Last edited:
What's this?!? Greg Robinson busted with 157 lbs of marijuana at a border checkpoint! The #2 OA pick from 2014 has some serious explaining to do.

It's still several months away before the preseason starts and Cleveland is already having troubles...unbelievable!

I recently posted my concern with the disgusting amount of money that players are demanding/getting, and I pondered that the NFL might be close to a tipping point on how much money people are willing to fork out to support the $$ machine. After listening to Pat McA this morning, the NFL is a long way from a tipping point with money! Ask for a $BIL Dak!

I recently posted my concern with the disgusting amount of money that players are demanding/getting, and I pondered that the NFL might be close to a tipping point on how much money people are willing to fork out to support the $$ machine. After listening to Pat McA this morning, the NFL is a long way from a tipping point with money! Ask for a $BIL Dak!

Yea, the monetary amount is getting crazy. Especially with the players threatening of not playing their final year. I don't know if I can really blame the players as I wouldn't know what I would do in their situation. Take in my correct job I'm constantly attempting to earn more money at different employers to get the most, but I'm also not competing for results and championships. I think the tipping point will happen when a player takes up TOO much of the cap room, take like what could happen with Mahomes. Honestly who could blame them for wanting more money seeing all the money that owners keep receiving, they want a piece of the pie for their hard work. Especially what drives up demands is knowing what others make, the main reason our employers don't want us to know each others wages. They see someone that is worse than them, see they are making less, and they want to make more than them.

If there is no money tipping point, it will come down to do you want money or championships. But with New England's dynasty coming to an end, no other team as of now boasts that consistent playing for championship success. It's a conundrum and how the NFL has shown their business, they won't attempt anything for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Yea, the monetary amount is getting crazy. Especially with the players threatening of not playing their final year. I don't know if I can really blame the players as I wouldn't know what I would do in their situation. Take in my correct job I'm constantly attempting to earn more money at different employers to get the most, but I'm also not competing for results and championships. I think the tipping point will happen when a player takes up TOO much of the cap room, take like what could happen with Mahomes. Honestly who could blame them for wanting more money seeing all the money that owners keep receiving, they want a piece of the pie for their hard work. Especially what drives up demands is knowing what others make, the main reason our employers don't want us to know each others wages. They see someone that is worse than them, see they are making less, and they want to make more than them.

If there is no money tipping point, it will come down to do you want money or championships. But with New England's dynasty coming to an end, no other team as of now boasts that consistent playing for championship success. It's a conundrum and how the NFL has shown their business, they won't attempt anything for the foreseeable future.
I was more thinking about the tipping point where the NFL can't bring in enough to keep up...its not even close to a tipping point in 2020.

EDIT: As I've previously discussed, it has reached a tipping point for me. I watched less football in 2019, yet its the silly season and here I am. I have the feeling that this trend will continue until I get to the point of just watching the Seahawks and the superbowl...

Last edited:
The peculiar thing about Garrett is if you have seen him interviewed in the past you wouldn't have possibly guessed he would have violently freaked out like that. He comes across as articulate and thoughtful.

You mentioned Suh. When I lived in Oregon he had a home there, or family there, and during the off season people would run into him and say what a nice guy he was. A gentle giant. But you get him on the field, even in front of football media people, anything football, and he turned into Mr. Hyde. Maybe Garret has that happen as soon as he runs on the field, or the ball is snapped? Cyclists may remember the late Laurent Fignon? Some athletes are like this I guess.

The problem with Dalton is that with a couple other FA QB's out there, who really wants to roll the dice on him? I think there's a good chance Rivers may end up in TB, that's possible. But is Dalton the answer for the Chargers, as they move into that beautiful brand new stadium, he will be the face of the franchise?

I actually think the Steelers will be good next year. The entire rest of their team played quite well the 2nd half of the season, and a slew of "average" players on defense looked like a real force the more the season went on. They are very well coached, well organized, and if Ben is at all healthy, and the receivers develop a little, they look like they could make a playoff run once again. But Ben is a big "if", isn't he? Let's not forget how many games he's missed in the past due to injury, and he must be slowing down. I agree that Rudolph didn't look like the answer, neither did JT Barrett. Hey, what about Andy Dalton heading to Pittsburgh?! o_O

Don't care about the politics thread, and I can see why it got shut down. When I was a mod it was the worst forum to moderate, and it has nothing to do with cycling, sport, or much anything positive. This is at least a sports, athletics, fitness, competition, achievement thread. Few people here ever really argue with one another either. It's a very positive tone, and we're all very respectful of one another.
Troy polomalu has the voice of a pre puberty angel. And what's more is very nice and always praying for everyone.

But on the field....

Also Mike Tyson

Reactions: SHAD0W93
What's this?!? Greg Robinson busted with 157 lbs of marijuana at a border checkpoint! The #2 OA pick from 2014 has some serious explaining to do.

It's still several months away before the preseason starts and Cleveland is already having troubles...unbelievable!
Cleveland Cavaliers and Cleveland Browns seem to be going from strength to strength !