• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 450 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Denver, The Dolphins and the Bills have had strong drafts so far. In the case of the first two it certainly helps to have a lot of picks ! At the other end of the scale the Rams had slim pickings and will need to hope that the few picks they had can help them after a disappointing season in 19/20. Green Bay continue to confound with some of their picks. Rodgers I guess is used to it now. The NFC West looks like the top grouping at the moment especially if the Cardinals improve as many expect. The Rams are going to find it very hard I think. I still see the 49ers and Seattle fighting for first place with an improving Cardinals who might need a bit more time yet. The Cardinals picked up two quality WRs and some defense. Needless to say it's a very tough conference to qualify from. If the Rams hadn't been beaten by the 49ers in the dying minutes of their late season game, the NFC West would have had three teams in the playoffs last season.

Colts have loaded up on offense it seems. It looks like they are pursuing a "now or never" with Rivers.

The Patriots traded out of the 1st round, ending up with two picks in round 2, and three in round 3, where the first focused on D with safety Kyle Dugger, then Edge rushers Josh Unche, and Anfernee Jennings. Following that were not one, but two TE's.

Not to be outdone, the Raiders took 3 WR's with their first 3 picks!

The Eagles took Jalen Hurts, one of the more dynamic players in college last year. But it's also unknown just how well his type of play (he moves a LOT) can translate to the NFL. What I find interesting is the team he went to, as Wentz is more of a classic pocket passer.

Reactions: jmdirt
Colts have loaded up on offense it seems. It looks like they are pursuing a "now or never" with Rivers.

The Patriots traded out of the 1st round, ending up with two picks in round 2, and three in round 3, where the first focused on D with safety Kyle Dugger, then Edge rushers Josh Unche, and Anfernee Jennings. Following that were not one, but two TE's.

Not to be outdone, the Raiders took 3 WR's with their first 3 picks!

The Eagles took Jalen Hurts, one of the more dynamic players in college last year. But it's also unknown just how well his type of play (he moves a LOT) can translate to the NFL. What I find interesting is the team he went to, as Wentz is more of a classic pocket passer.
You've probably seen my posts about this, but I can see Hurts being a Hill X guy. I agree with you that they almost need two offenses if JH is 'just' the back up.

Man, I'm seeing a lot of hate pointed at GB for taking Love. Why wouldn't GB want a good QB2 behind ER?! If this kids learns from (gets molded by) ER he could be the best QB2 in the league...why wouldn't you want that? If ER goes down, don't they still want a good chance to win? Did GB critics think that they were going to bring Cam in to be QB2?! Getting good QBs from later rounds is a gamble, sure there are some good/great ones, but most are not. IMO Love was a solid pick!

Reactions: movingtarget
Man, I'm seeing a lot of hate pointed at GB for taking Love.
It's because GB needs better receivers, also DL help, and players taken as high as Love was, usually are expected to start fairly soon. At most the theory would be he would sit a year, then start (Mahomes). Will Rodgers really be washed up by then? The thinking is that they have the ability to win, now, if they can get AR someone young to throw to, and some help on the DL. Why plan for 2021, 2022, 2023 when Love may or may not be the franchise QB?

Critics are though ignoring that Love fell some in the draft. Ppl thought he would possibly go at 20 (JAX), or as high as 12 (TB). Maybe to NO at 24.

It's because GB needs better receivers, also DL help, and players taken as high as Love was, usually are expected to start fairly soon. At most the theory would be he would sit a year, then start (Mahomes). Will Rodgers really be washed up by then? The thinking is that they have the ability to win, now, if they can get AR someone young to throw to, and some help on the DL. Why plan for 2021, 2022, 2023 when Love may or may not be the franchise QB?

Critics are though ignoring that Love fell some in the draft. Ppl thought he would possibly go at 20 (JAX), or as high as 12 (TB). Maybe to NO at 24.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but I don't see him starting until ER retires, I see him as a winning QB2. IMO, the somewhat recent mentality that 1st round QBs need to be starting winners NOW or very soon is misguided at best (not directed at you, just the overwhelming perception). If I'm the GM, I do take Love to win now in the case that ER goes down. Yes, GB needs somebody to run under the passes from ER and Love, but the mentality that a solid back up isn't really valuable is strange to me. I guess that the argument could be that ER can play with broken legs and still throw the ball well.

Let's look at their other options:
-Hurts-I'm BIG on this guy, and I think that he's better than Love, but the fit?
-Eason-IMO, we're already down to a guy who doesn't step in as a winning QB2.
-Morgan-I don't know this kid at all so I can't comment (saw one huge throw at comb.).
-Fromm-Why the fall (arm?)? IMO he is more ready to be a winning QB2 than Eason.
So if your going after a winning QB2 who can maybe someday be the franchise QB, Love is the best pick.
Sure you could look to post draft free agency, but really who is going to out there that is affordable, a good fit, and a winner?

Bigger questions IMO is why did they take an RB in the 2nd round and a small TE in the 3rd?

SEA no pick yet...EDIT: an OLB? I was hoping for an OL!
At the time of their 1st pick all the hot OL guys were gone, and OL guys still on the board had a 2nd-4th round grade. Seattle did pick OG Damien Lewis in the 3rd round, so its not like they did not fill an OL need. Initially when the news broke, I was surprised at the selection of an ILB. But after watching tape of him and the OG they took in round 3, I think they did well. First, the ILB (Brooks from TT) has excellent skill sets; SL to SL speed (4.54 at the combine, 4.46 pro day), he diagnoses plays quickly and has a quick first step, when he goes he explodes to the ball, and he is a thumper. All that after 1 season at ILB for his last season at TT. The other years he played rover or OLB. So I'm thinking, since no way he replaces Bobby Wagner, that he takes the OLB spot occupied currently by Kendricks. Then, IF BWagz gets injured like he did last season, they have a legit ILB to slide over and fill, then sub Ben B-K in at outside. Secondly, OG Damian Lewis from LSU is kind of a steal for the power run game Seattle likes to play. Lewis is only 6'2", but long armed and really powerful. His HL reel is filled with pancakes, in tight on interior DL guys or in space on LBs. Lewis' HL tape shows good awareness in pass pro, but I expect he'll struggle a bit as a pro vs quicker interior DLmen. Finally, Seattle's 2nd pick (DE Darrell Taylor from Tenn, round 2 pick 16) is a pure edge rusher, who will struggle a bit at the point of attack vs run plays. But edge rush in the NFC West is what Seattle needed to get pressure on opponent QBs. The DE taken by Atlanta one pick ahead of Seattle (Marlon Davidson, Auburn, round 2 pick 15) is a power rusher, not a lot of athletic quickness, who I think will be swallowed up by better OTs. If I had the opportunity to draft either if those two DE's for a team with Seattle's opponents in the NFCW, I'd have taken Taylor over Davidson just because Taylor's skill set should produce more QB pressures. For that reason, Seattle brought back veteran DE Bruce Irvin, who had a pretty good sack season last year. Plus Seattle had to draft a DE since Clowney is not taking Seattle's generous offer of $18.5M. (Side note, IMO Clowney is asking too much money for as often as he can't play due to injury). So in the end, I was happy with those picks. As for Seattle's picks in rounds 4 through 7, I was mostly happy with the two TE's (especially the 6'7" beast from Stanford), the other DE and WR, but was not too happy with the Miami RB (DJ Dallas)... I would have preferred another DT. But I give some slack on that RB pick because Seattle can't count on Prosise (ended last season on IR again), or another Marshawn return, nor whether Penny (recovering from ACL) or Carson (placed on IR in December for fractured hip) will be available.

Had to take our wee doggo to the vet, and between that and treating him I ended up missing a lot of the draft. But from what I saw of it, I thought the NFL did a really nice job of the presentation. I think I actually liked it better than the typical formats of recent.

There has been some talk of a shortened or cancelled NFL season next year. Think about it a sec, if there was a shortened season, and then the virus flared up again next winter in Nov or Dec....

As for a shortened season, it would be very interesting to see what would happen, from injury and quality of play standpoints, if each team played only 8 or 10 regular season games. It actually might make for a better football.

Panthers draft all 7 on the defensive side of the ball...Rhule wasting no time trying to right the wrongs of our horrendous D last season.
I envision a desperate management team in Carolina with nightmares of Luke Keuchly's phone call to them announcing his retirement echoing in their heads. ;)
Plus Seattle had to draft a DE since Clowney is not taking Seattle's generous offer of $18.5M.
Every day that goes by, it's more and more likely this will be the best offer he gets, and he ends up playing for them again.
There has been some talk of a shortened or cancelled NFL season next year. Think about it a sec, if there was a shortened season, and then the virus flared up again next winter in Nov or Dec....
I think Merckx Index posted on this a bit ago, and I think it's quite possible the season is shortened, or doesn't even happen at all, or a handful of games in empty stadiums. After a few states "opened up" they are going to be beta testing grounds for this kind of thinking. It already happened on an island in Japan that thought they eradicated it, and it came back worse. So as I said before, the entire NBA and NHL seasons have to be gone (unless some sort of playoffs are done without crowds), MLB is going to really be shortened, if they can even play. MLS has stopped making any guesses at all about having a season. What's to think the NFL won't be affected? Just because they start later? That sounds more hopeful than scientific or practical to me. I know wrong thread in some ways, but I think it's all a valid discussion.

I'm overall happy with what the Steelers did with the drafted and undrafted signings.
Draft picks plus undrafted rookie free agent signings are filling holes the team has. Multiple defensive players along with a WR, RB, FB, OL and a punter. They signed 10 of those undrafted players.

I envision a desperate management team in Carolina with nightmares of Luke Keuchly's phone call to them announcing his retirement echoing in their heads. ;)

Every day that goes by, it's more and more likely this will be the best offer he gets, and he ends up playing for them again.

I think Merckx Index posted on this a bit ago, and I think it's quite possible the season is shortened, or doesn't even happen at all, or a handful of games in empty stadiums. After a few states "opened up" they are going to be beta testing grounds for this kind of thinking. It already happened on an island in Japan that thought they eradicated it, and it came back worse. So as I said before, the entire NBA and NHL seasons have to be gone (unless some sort of playoffs are done without crowds), MLB is going to really be shortened, if they can even play. MLS has stopped making any guesses at all about having a season. What's to think the NFL won't be affected? Just because they start later? That sounds more hopeful than scientific or practical to me. I know wrong thread in some ways, but I think it's all a valid discussion.

NBA is still talking about trying to do something in late June or July. They've said multiple times it will be with no fans. The last I heard one of the owners say anything was that they need to have the ability to test everyone working the games ever 3 to 5 days with results back in less than an hour to be able to restart the season.

Also NASCAR and IndyCar are still planning on restarting their seasons at the end of May or early June. Golf is also wanting to try to start in June.

I think Merckx Index posted on this a bit ago, and I think it's quite possible the season is shortened, or doesn't even happen at all, or a handful of games in empty stadiums.

CA Governor Gavin Newsom has basically said the state will not allow mass gatherings of any kind until a vaccine is developed (or herd immunity is reached through the spread of the virus). And this:

During a Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors meeting last week, the county’s Executive Officer, Jeff Smith, said he did not anticipate the San Francisco 49ers or San Jose Sharks would be permitted to host games until at least late November.

“Sorry to say,” Smith told Supervisor Mike Wasserman, “I don’t expect that we’ll have any sports games until at least Thanksgiving, and we’ll be lucky to have them by Thanksgiving.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04...the-cards-when-california-lockdown-is-lifted/

I think many in the NFL are in denial about this. Football, obviously, is a sport that depends on repeated physical contact--unlike baseball, where in theory you could play a game without players touching each other. So it isn't just about banning spectators. The worry about starting MLB, even in a restricted place like Arizona, with the players isolated from the general population, is that if one player tests positive, the whole team has to be quarantined. The situation will be far worse with football. One positive (and maybe asymptomatic or presymptomatic) OL or DL could easily infect multiple other players in a single game.

it's going to be fun watching Rodgers squirm.

Why? What has he done to deserve this? He's past his prime, but he's still one of the better QBs in the NFL. Jordan Love should be so lucky to have a career in which he is consistently as good as Rodgers is in his decline. I get that the Packers have to prepare for post-Rodgers, but they seem to be throwing in the towel for the next two years. They could have gotten some offensive weapons for Rodgers, which would still be there for whoever replaces him when he retires. This draft seems to be acknowledged as one of the best ever for WR.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Panthers draft all 7 on the defensive side of the ball, apparently the first time it’s happened under the modern draft format.

Rhule wasting no time trying to right the wrongs of our horrendous D last season.

Some great picks in Gross-Matos, Chinn and especially Brown who looks a beast at DT.
Also a record number of WRs taken in the first two rounds and the least amount of RBs taken in the draft since 2010 which says a lot about the the direction the game has headed in in recent times. Speaking of the Panthers they currently have the highest paid one on their roster, but their fate generally seems to be a few great years followed by a drop off. Of course there are some good veterans like Frank Gore who has had amazing longeviity and that was after two knee operations before he got out of college ! But Gore is long past his best. Teams are cautious of paying RBs with Gurley being a good example while Zeke didn't flatter last season after his contract extension. There are plenty of examples of RBs having one or two great seasons and then gradually disappearing or jumping from team to team on smaller and smaller contracts. It's simply not the glamour position it used to be. Quality CBs are in high demand now, and also TEs because they are more versatile than many WRs.

McCoy was sensational for while for the Bills and now he's a back up. Carlos Hyde has jumped from team to team but he never quite hit the expected heights. Be interesting to see if Mostert can repeat his season for the 49ers, he was dominant in the playoffs but a lot of people will put that down to Shanahan's scheming. Breida was also doing the same at the 49ers before Mostert and he was undrafted ! The Titans will also want to see another strong season from Henry who was also great in the playoffs. Those two are totally different RBs but both very effective. I expect the 49ers to give Jeff Wilson Jnr more playing time next season and they have a very good complement of RBs with Mostert, Coleman and Wilson and WR Deebo Samuel off the edge and running like an RB along with some excellent blocking from Kittle and the fullback. The Vikings and GB couldn't stop them in the playoffs and the Vikings have addressed some of those concerns in the draft while I have no idea what GB are up to draft wise !

CA Governor Gavin Newsom has basically said the state will not allow mass gatherings of any kind until a vaccine is developed (or herd immunity is reached through the spread of the virus). And this:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04...the-cards-when-california-lockdown-is-lifted/

I think many in the NFL are in denial about this. Football, obviously, is a sport that depends on repeated physical contact--unlike baseball, where in theory you could play a game without players touching each other. So it isn't just about banning spectators. The worry about starting MLB, even in a restricted place like Arizona, with the players isolated from the general population, is that if one player tests positive, the whole team has to be quarantined. The situation will be far worse with football. One positive (and maybe asymptomatic or presymptomatic) OL or DL could easily infect multiple other players in a single game.

Which is why I suspect basketball, baseball, and to a greater extent golf would be more likely to restart. Auto racing is a more interesting one. Football is going to be harder to get started currently. I do suspect if we get a good, reliable treatment that could help.

Why? What has he (Aaron Rodgers) done to deserve this? He's past his prime, but he's still one of the better QBs in the NFL. Jordan Love should be so lucky to have a career in which he is consistently as good as Rodgers is in his decline.
No agrument there about AR still being one of the better QBs in the league, and Love has said he's happy to be able to learn from AR. We'll see how much of a mentor AR is willing to be for his new backup. But none of that has to do with my comment. It's just my opinion, but AR seems arrogant and seems to think the organization needs him more than he needs them. Helping to get former HC McC fired is one example. According to former teammates (you can google it), AR is "coachable to a point. Once you try to overcoach him that's when he's going to do his own thing". I get having a chip on his shoulder for slipping down to the #24 pick in his draft, but that was a long time ago and he's proven teams who passed on him as wrong.

Every day that goes by, it's more and more likely this will be the best offer (18.5M$) he (Clowney) gets, and he ends up playing for them again.
That said, Seattle just released OG DJ Fluker ($4.1M cap hit in 2020 on OTC), and C Justin Britt ($11.1M for 2020). Britt was a Center only (tho he's played RG and RT for Seattle). Seattle has 4 players on the current roster who can play center, FA acquisition Finney from Pitt, Joey Hunt (last years backup to Britt), 2020 draftee Damien Lewis (who played some C at LSU), and Ethan Pocic (who now may not make roster). My guess is Finney becomes the starting Center. So due to these cap-clearing moves, any bets Seattle is setting up to resign Clowney, for maybe $15M?

Which is why I suspect basketball, baseball, and to a greater extent golf would be more likely to restart. Auto racing is a more interesting one. Football is going to be harder to get started currently. I do suspect if we get a good, reliable treatment that could help.
Auto racing for selected events should be the easiest to start. NASCAR, F1 have solid formats and pretty developed broadcast partnerships that would be eager to get content out there. That the NFL Draft broadcasts broke records will start to drive the frenzy. F1 likes pageantry but probably needs seated fans the least to actually get going. NBA is in a similar, but logistically more challenged situation.
Baseball is already on the edge of fan irrelevancy with cheating scandals and ridiculously paid players. Hard to see it as a game average Joe can afford to embrace in the US. What goes on the tube first, wins.

Also a record number of WRs taken in the first two rounds and the least amount of RBs taken in the draft since 2010 which says a lot about the the direction the game has headed in in recent times. Speaking of the Panthers they currently have the highest paid one on their roster, but their fate generally seems to be a few great years followed by a drop off. Of course there are some good veterans like Frank Gore who has had amazing longeviity and that was after two knee operations before he got out of college ! But Gore is long past his best. Teams are cautious of paying RBs with Gurley being a good example while Zeke didn't flatter last season after his contract extension. There are plenty of examples of RBs having one or two great seasons and then gradually disappearing or jumping from team to team on smaller and smaller contracts. It's simply not the glamour position it used to be. Quality CBs are in high demand now, and also TEs because they are more versatile than many WRs.

There was a lot of talk about the huge McCaffrey deal, but I think it’s a smart move. He’s now locked in for what should be his five best years until his 28th birthday. While it’s a lot of money for a traditional RB, I think CMC is anything but and is just as big a threat in the passing game too, as last years 1000/1000 stat points out.

Hopefully Bridgewater proves to be a solid signing, he can’t do any worse than Allen/Grier last season. With Moore, Samuels, Anderson and McCaffrey he has some weapons to target.

I’m not expecting overnight success, but with Rhule it does seem like there is now a plan in place, something I haven’t really been able to say over the past few seasons.

There was a lot of talk about the huge McCaffrey deal, but I think it’s a smart move. He’s now locked in for what should be his five best years until his 28th birthday. While it’s a lot of money for a traditional RB, I think CMC is anything but and is just as big a threat in the passing game too, as last years 1000/1000 stat points out.

Hopefully Bridgewater proves to be a solid signing, he can’t do any worse than Allen/Grier last season. With Moore, Samuels, Anderson and McCaffrey he has some weapons to target.

I’m not expecting overnight success, but with Rhule it does seem like there is now a plan in place, something I haven’t really been able to say over the past few seasons.
Bridgewater will be an improvement based on what he did when Brees was out. McCaffrey deserves his money but I was surprised that the Panthers went for all defense. McCaffrey doesn't get injured much either. Really he plays above his size, he's quite small. I thought their offense could have used one or two more weapons especially if they get a few injuries.

TRENDING THREADS