• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 488 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I love when QBs who obviously love the game and want to keep playing do so. Obviously Brady has been able to. Now we get to see what happens with guys like Rivers, Ben, Brees. And I really respect it when a former starter embraces the role of a backup/mentor (e.g. Matt Hasselbeck). Then there's Alex Smith (props there OFC). Imagine if Theissmann had tried and made a comeback (and that was when QBs weren't protected by all the new QB protection rules)!

Back to Seattle wanting to run the ball... on The Herd, Joy Taylor made a good point of comparing the Hawks to the Browns, who also want to run the ball. The difference being the Browns actually have a good OL, oh and BTW, also have two good RBs (Chubb and Hunt); compared to the Hawks Sketchy OL, RBs Carson (who's good but oft injured) & Penny (bust-ish) & Hyde (also injured). Note: when SEA drafted Penny (in the FIRST ROUND), Chubb was still on the board. Makes ya think SEA scouting needs an upgrade as well :confused:, even though they've drafted better in lower rounds.

Finally, on coaching vacancies & candidates. there's some talk out there, but one intrigues me and that's the Jets HC job. One of the names being linked to that job is Jason Garrett. That's right, the failure from Dallas. The main reason I think this is an intriguing fit, one that I'd like to see happen, is I'd like to see what Jason can do outside the micromanaging, overbearing control of owner Jerry Jones. Jason played a good "yes man" role in Dallas. I would like to see what he can do when turned loose and allowed to build a team with his own imprint. Not sure how meddling Jets owner Chris Johnson is, or how smart GM Joe Douglas is though.
EDIT: After messing up the first version of this post, fixed it.
And also, IF Jason gets the job, I hope he does well. (Proving Jerry's nuts.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
Finally, on coaching vacancies & candidates. there's some talk out there, but one intrigues me and that's the Jets HC job. One of the names being linked to that job is Jason Garrett. That's right, the failure from Dallas. The main reason I think this is an intriguing fit, one that I'd like to see happen, is I'd like to see what Jason can do outside the micromanaging, overbearing control of owner Jerry Jones. Jason played a good "yes man" role in Dallas. I would like to see what he can do when turned loose and allowed to build a team with his own imprint. Not sure how meddling Jets owner Chris Johnson is, or how smart GM Joe Douglas is though.
EDIT: After messing up the first version of this post, fixed it.
And also, IF Jason gets the job, I hope he does well. (Proving Jerry's nuts.)
Its my understanding that the biggest problem with NYJ IS the owner.

Jones is nuts!

Reactions: on3m@n@rmy
It seems the Knicks have the same problem...........NY not having much luck lately with their sports teams. But Houston might be taking over the mantle with the Rockets and Texans bonfire !
Dolan is always going to be a problem. The Jets need to clean house completely,radical changes, entire front office,new GM and coaches..but saying New York has problems maybe a little premature w Brooklyn really trying to put a competitive team on the floor

Back to Seattle wanting to run the ball... on The Herd, Joy Taylor made a good point of comparing the Hawks to the Browns, who also want to run the ball. The difference being the Browns actually have a good OL, oh and BTW, also have two good RBs (Chubb and Hunt); compared to the Hawks Sketchy OL, RBs Carson (who's good but oft injured) & Penny (bust-ish) & Hyde (also injured). Note: when SEA drafted Penny (in the FIRST ROUND), Chubb was still on the board. Makes ya think SEA scouting needs an upgrade as well :confused:, even though they've drafted better in lower rounds.
Hindsight is a great tool when evaluating healthy talent. Carson got injured, Penny got injured. Clowney is potential retirement level injured. You do what you can on draft day. Not having a long term plan for the OL suggests drafting running backs at high $$$$ is a way to burn cash. Now Russell feels the Seahawks definitely need his input on the OC selection. This is where the team should be more careful, regardless of what Russell likes about his skills and team boosterism. They're in weird territory with Wilson's contract, Carroll's interest in how long he'll coach, Bobby Wagner....As long as Scheider is in command an adult is in the room, hopefully.

Reactions: jmdirt
Good cap/record grid!

I wonder if DS will actually end up leaving, but if he does MIA could be OK, WFT could be good...
While I understand wanting to be heard, if you sign a contract that means you agree to do what the boss says...especially when you make $160 Million! The boss wasn't honest with you, and he didn't interview the guy you wanted. That is stupid on his part, but does DS's contract give him rights over those things?

I won't get started on the owners because that can/will quickly lead to a lot of off limits topics!

Reactions: movingtarget
Below is the official injury report and game day designations for all four games on Saturday and Sunday.

Los Angeles Rams at Green Bay Packers

Rams: OUT: LB Terrell Lewis (ankle), QB John Wolford (neck); QUESTIONABLE: G David Edwards (ankle), WR Cooper Kupp (knee)

Packers: DOUBTFUL: DE Kingsley Keke (concussion)

Baltimore Ravens at Buffalo Bills

Ravens: QUESTIONABLE: G D.J. Fluker (knee), CB Marcus Peters (back)

Bills: QUESTIONABLE: DE Darryl Johnson (knee)

Cleveland Browns at Kansas City Chiefs

Browns: QUESTIONABLE: TE Stephen Carlson (groin), T Jack Conklin (knee/hamstring), LB B.J. Goodson (shoulder), TE David Njoku (hamstring)

Chiefs: OUT: LB Willie Gay (ankle), WR Sammy Watkins (calf); QUESTIONABLE: RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire (ankle/hip), CB Rashad Fenton (foot/ankle), TE Deon Yelder (groin)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at New Orleans Saints

Buccaneers: OUT: DL Jeremiah Ledbetter (calf); QUESTIONABLE: S Anthony Adams (NIR), RB Ronald Jones (quad/finger), S Jordan Whitehead (knee)

Saints: OUT: CB Patrick Robinson (hamstring); QUESTIONABLE: OL Will Clapp (not injury related), QB Taysom Hill (knee), RB Latavius Murray (quadricep)

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Hey everyone, I haven't posted since the start of the season. What a year, huh?

Here are some thoughts on today's games. This tends to be the week of the season where 3 of the 4 games are great. We'll see.

LAR@GB - While it's obvious and easy to pick the Packers, I notice they haven't played great from behind, and struggled in games that are a grind. It's been a knock on Aaron Rodgers not having game winning drives against teams with winning records for example (while still making amazing late game throws, and winning plenty big games, like a Super Bowl). So if the Rams defense can hold tight enough, and the offense can slow the game down, they have a chance. If the Packers build up a lead, it's over.

BAL@BUF - I personally like both of these teams. I like watching them play, have been big on Josh Allen since he was drafted, love watching Jackson play, and like both working class cities. As good as both teams are, I've seen chinks in both teams armor, but am picking the Ravens as they have been on more of a tear. The snow could be a real factor though. If it's really nasty, mixed snow, and windy, the Bills could grind it out and ride on Allen's arm to a win.

CLE@KC - Speaking of chinks in armor, the Chiefs have theirs as well. They had to eek out a few games this year that either Mahomes heroics, or their explosive ability made us forget. Never the less, I think the end of the line is here for Cleveland. Last week's win was decades of frustration overcome. A focused, mistake free Chiefs can still win the SB, without question.

TB@NO - The Saints remind me of the Chiefs in this regard. At times they look unstoppable, others, beatable. Brees, when on, has been as good as ever. But he's been hurt, and when not 100% you can see it in his arm strength. Not quite what happened to Manning in his last year (he won a SB anyway), but is the end near? I don't trust TB's consistency, though I do think Tom will play well, and go for the jugular at every chance. Sean Peyton coaching as well as ever, while people have hardly noticed.

If I'm right, watching Baltimore go into KC (the playoff game we didn't see last year), and Brees into Green Bay to take on Rodgers, could be highly entertaining! Though I actually like any match-up at this point. We could see some great games, and a great SB, pandemic be damned!

So glad New England didn't make the playoffs this year. :)

GB looked better than LAR, but that was the gimme game of the playoffs.

BAL never looked like themselves. Maybe that was because of BUF, or maybe they over thought the playoffs. BUF D had a good scheme. For what its worth, BUF O didn't really look like themselves either.

EDIT: A little correction here, BAL looked like themselves on their one and only scoring drive.

Last edited:
GB looked better than LAR, but that was the gimme game of the playoffs.

BAL never looked like themselves. Maybe that was because of BUF, or maybe they over thought the playoffs. BUF D had a good scheme. For what its worth, BUF O didn't really look like themselves either.
Ravens game was an arm wrestle in the first half but then the Ravens started making mistakes. Two dropped balls, one would have been a TD and the other one possibly, one overthrow to a wide open receiver by Jackson's back up. Lamar threw a pick into the end zone. Neither team looked good on offense and the Bills got some breaks. Much more impressed with GB. Rams had some injury worries including Donald but Rodgers is playing two levels above Goff at the moment and the GB defense was also good. Unless the Bucs or Saints do something special tomorrow I'm finally convinced that GB will win the NFC. Their defense and run game has improved on last season and the offense looks more controlled with the form Rodgers is in.

TRENDING THREADS