• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 536 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Seattle finally fired DC Ken Norton. He's the defensive version of Brian Schottenheimer - you can do better and you can also do worse (as they found in replacing Schotty)
They should find a way to hire Quinn back. Or some version of him. The Hawks OC is questionable but it was difficult to field a strategy when tight ends and running backs are injured. Teams doubled-up on Metcalf until the short game worked and they had no choice.

They should find a way to hire Quinn back. Or some version of him. The Hawks OC is questionable but it was difficult to field a strategy when tight ends and running backs are injured. Teams doubled-up on Metcalf until the short game worked and they had no choice.
Penny got me all excited with his last few games...can he stay healthy for a season? I feel like Metcalf started giving up on a lot of plays (frustration?), but we know that you can't do that with any mobile QB.

Penny got me all excited with his last few games...can he stay healthy for a season? I feel like Metcalf started giving up on a lot of plays (frustration?), but we know that you can't do that with any mobile QB.
Watching the plays where he seemed uninvolved usually started with one or two guys making contact at scrimmage, then one falling back to cut any deeper threat. Same time there was virtually no blocking help from the backup tight ends so even the short pass was gone. That problem went away quickly when Penny started breaking runs through the middle. Defenses were no longer able to body up to Metcalf as much and he started getting free and doing his thing. It seemed like every opposing DC knew which plays to stuff the run before Penny became healthy and then sequenced to aggressive coverage to prevent any long passes. The whole league had the gameplan and the season was over before we knew it.

Reactions: jmdirt
Was out on the road when the Chargers imploded..was rubbed w salt by some fun loving Texans..didn't get my chance to get a few digs in on Cowboy fans after they came up short..
I really don't have a clue to who will take it all, but I am going to say early that my guess is the Titans..lots of possibilities..hate to bet against Brady or Rodgers but I am not feeling it

Was out on the road when the Chargers imploded..was rubbed w salt by some fun loving Texans..didn't get my chance to get a few digs in on Cowboy fans after they came up short..
I really don't have a clue to who will take it all, but I am going to say early that my guess is the Titans..lots of possibilities..hate to bet against Brady or Rodgers but I am not feeling it
The only one of the remaining teams that would surprise me with a SB win is probably the Bengals cause they are a young team and their defense is iffy. All the others are capable, I think the Rams are about to put Tom out and I have doubts about the Packers and Chiefs progressing, been a crazy season. The Cardinals looked so good until the last quarter of the season then they collapsed and the Colts are just a mystery.

I'm not paying the closest of attention, so here goes:

CIN@TEN - In order for the Bengals to win, they have to stop the Titans run game. I don't see that happening. I think they can score, but I see their D being on the field too long by 4Q. Russell Wilson made a comment today he can see the Bengals winning. Hmmm.

SF@GB - I am going to pick the Packers, but if the 49ers can play a flawless game (or close to it) they can upset them. The problem is, for every 9 plays the Niners look like SB contenders, there's that tenth play...often at the worst time. SF also likely much more beat up than the Packers.

LAR@TB - There's indication that the Rams have the tools to beat Tampa. As I look at some of TBs games, they won a few that were sketchy wins, and at times looked bad. The problem is, so have the Rams. They are stacked with talent, but I think their road ends here courtesy of TB, Tom Brady that is, and the Bucs leadership overall.

BUF@KC - Here's the game to watch. Both teams have at times looked like the best in the NFL, both teams have looked surprisingly inept at times. I just think the Bills are less likely to botch things. KC's best chance is to have a good lead late in the 3rd quarter, and somehow be able to hold on. But I'm going with the away team here.

If your defense sack the QB 9 times its a blowout right?!
CIN moven on!
The Titans D was playing with their hearts out while the offense was out of sync. I think every interception that game was off tips. I don’t knock Vrabel for going for 2, but he should have taken the field goal after seeing that the team was having no success on third down.

Bengals with be a tough team next week and could take it. Their offense is dynamic and defense can come up big, I’m just worried about their playoff inexperience.

What a game with McPherson hitting the game winning 52 yd FG with time expiring - clutch for the rookie! How about Burrow - sacked all day like a wet noodle but throws that 16 yd strike to Ja'Marr Chase putting them in McPherson's range (when Burrow wasn't getting sacked, former LSU teammate Chase hauled in 9 catches for over 100 yds)

Returning to the AFC Championship game for the first time since 1988 - the year they went to the SB under Sam Wyche. Incredible turn around from a 2-14 team just 2 yrs ago! Zac Taylor is getting it done.

Last edited:
It is still early but this game is looking like the Packers vs Giants playoff game when the Giants had all the drops.

Niners D and special teams carrying the offense and allowing them to be only down 7-0 after Garoppolo throws way to late to Kittle for an interception vs touchdown.

Last edited:
I don't care what the numbers say or what is fashionable, if I win the toss against GB, I'm not kicking it to them to open the game.

I can't believe its only 7-0!
Facts, last time they won Niners took the ball and scored. It could be all kinds of scores. Packers happy Kittle dropped the wideopen pass and Garoppolo was late as those could have been touchdowns. Niners happy they’ve kept Packers at 7 somehow.

Both #1 seeds lose at home, after being the only teams with a bye and in theory, plenty of rest. Crazy.

Simply a gritty, great win for Cincy. They had it won, almost caved and lost it, but pulled it out. But that second game...it's hard to think the better team won, as SF could barely move the ball, but they did when it mattered most. And the blocked kick, and punt, plus the last two times GB had the ball Rodgers and their offense had nothing. I also think SF adapted better, and Shanahan out-coached LaFleur (and their staffs). Huge props to SF. One of you picked them to win, so chapeau!

Just glancing ahead next week, I like Cincy to at least make a game of it against either Buffalo or KC. They have the tools but their OL would have to play a lot better against Buffalo, if that's who they play. I think they'd rather have more of a shootout against KC, like their game in week 16, than go to the cold in Buffalo.

We've already seen SF beat the Rams, twice, and I think they'd like to play them again. Tampa? Let me see how the Buccaneers look tomorrow. Either way, as long as the 49ers don't fall too far behind, they have a chance against anyone.

While not moving the ball besides one drive in the first half, the Niners did have a lot of drops to start as well. That wide open Kittle drop could have been a touchdown. But both offenses had almost nothing going majority of the game.

I think the Niners would want to play Rams next week, while Bengals wanting Chiefs.
That game showed some offensive players way off-time and I think the cold was the culprit. The ball feels and bounces different; Kittle's drop looked like he didn't guess right on placement as well.
In the second half the surface was definitely a challenge. Must've been miserable to play in and the final kick for the win was pretty much an excellent end. Garapollo survives to the next round.

If your defense sack the QB 9 times its a blowout right?!
CIN moven on!
Titans have the same issues as SF........QB ups and downs. Miraculous win by the Niners. Two great plays by special teams and the Niners defense were the difference but GB's defense was very good also for most of the game. The early dropped balls cost the Niners some points. Rodgers looked a little stunned at the finish...........

Last edited:
Rodgers looked a little stunned at the finish...........
I wouldn’t be surprised if he is questioning what the heck is going on.
First it was all MC and they get rid of him and do well with ML despite issues. Then lose to Niners in 2019 and all that was heard if they get the one seed, go through GB, and they’re going to win. That’s happened twice and they lost. On top KS made better adjustments then ML.

Even in the post game interview he laminates you can’t win a lot of games scoring 10 points but keeps bringing the special teams and their missteps were bigger to the loss then the offense not performing. Yes, the blocked field goal was bad but he didn’t do the special teams or defense any favors going three and out with them backed up and making some bad decisions on throws. That’s on him. As much as people hate that Brady gets majority of the credit, in a loss he takes all the blame no matter what happened or how poorly a side of the team played and how good or bad the offense plays. Then he mentioned for his thoughts on staying in GB, going to a different team, or retiring that he had thought he could think about that during the week bye before the Super Bowl after they won the NFC. Looking ahead instead of on the game today.

Last edited:
Even in the post game interview he laminates you can’t win a lot of games scoring 10 points but keeps bringing the special teams and their missteps were bigger to the loss then the offense not performing. Yes, the blocked field goal was bad but he didn’t do the special teams or defense any favors going three and out with them backed up and making some bad decisions on throws. That’s on him. As much as people hate that Brady gets majority of the credit, in a loss he takes all the blame no matter what happened or how poorly a side of the team played and how good or bad the offense plays. Then he mentioned for his thoughts on staying in GB, going to a different team, or retiring that he had thought he could think about that during the week bye before the Super Bowl after they won the NFC. Looking ahead instead of on the game today.

Yup. I used to like Rodgers a lot. NOR*CAL guy and all that, but he's become a total diva, and a full on wingnut. Shame. Great skills, smart guy.

Reactions: Koronin

TRENDING THREADS