• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 534 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the same outcomes but with shockers next week of KC, GB, or Bucs being knocked out.
Both TB and KC are capable of beating anyone. But they are also capable of losing games you were certain they would win. Both teams have had quarters, half's, where they either couldn't move the ball, or gave up surprising amounts of yards and points. I'd be surprised if GB is knocked out. Rodgers had one bad game all year. Week 1, after all the contract hubbub. The loss to the Vikings was when his broken toe was at its worst, and even then they almost won. The other two losses showed us Love will likely never be a starting QB and was a BAD draft pick.
I always wonder when a team fires a coach that did OK, like Flores, who is going to be better?
I asked a similar question before. And as I noted before, teams that fire coaches on similar knee-jerk reactions, almost never find someone better. Teams that plan, patiently do the research, think about it, then hire the right guy almost always fare better. Granted, Miami could find someone better than Flores, I'm just saying the situation they put themselves in isn't typically one of success.
On Carroll: Just because he's a SB winning coach he gets to stay there forever? Think of all the young buck coordinators out there that want a shot as a HC.
Want? Or truly deserve? Here's the problem I have with this. Time and again we've seen either young coaches, or even not so young coaches with impressive coordinator backgrounds struggle, or fail, when put into HC situations. The classic "Peter Principle" in management. For every Tony Dungee, Mike Vrabel (so far) or a little older assistants like Bruce Arians, or Mike Holmgren, there are dozens of Matt Patrician, Adam Gase, Gus Bradley, Norv Turner, Joe Bugel, Charlie Weiss, Kevin Gilbride, Romeo Crenell, Eric Mangini, even Josh McDaniels, who when put into a HC position, struggle, or outright fail. Props to Josh for staying with the Pats for a while now. Over the years, with all of the Saints success, Pete Carmichael has said he has little interest in being a HC, so some people do know their place for success.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Byron Leftwich, Joe Brady, or Eric Bienemy end up HC's sooner rather than later. Perhaps all three do deserve a shot. And you are right, all these fired HC's don't need any sympathy. They all have been paid huge sums of money, or can get hired very quickly as a coordinator or assistant, or at the college level, or if they can talk straight with any personality at all, get a job on TV somewhere.

Both TB and KC are capable of beating anyone. But they are also capable of losing games you were certain they would win. Both teams have had quarters, half's, where they either couldn't move the ball, or gave up surprising amounts of yards and points. I'd be surprised if GB is knocked out. Rodgers had one bad game all year. Week 1, after all the contract hubbub. The loss to the Vikings was when his broken toe was at its worst, and even then they almost won. The other two losses showed us Love will likely never be a starting QB and was a BAD draft pick.
Packers have had 5 games they won come down to the wire against playoff teams or playoff caliber. They barely beat an injury riddled Ravens. They can be had as well next week. KC and TB have also put up more points then GB while some inconsistency. Rams, Cardinals, Niners, and Cowboys can all give the Packers a run for their money on offense and get at Rodgers. The key factor they have is the weather and all the teams in the playoffs being in warm weather or dome besides Philly. But they all can have a good rushing attack and Stafford has played in the cold. This year looks to be the first playoffs that anything can happen, just like the year has went.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Byron Leftwich, Joe Brady, or Eric Bienemy end up HC's sooner rather than later. Perhaps all three do deserve a shot. And you are right, all these fired HC's don't need any sympathy. They all have been paid huge sums of money, or can get hired very quickly as a coordinator or assistant, or at the college level, or if they can talk straight with any personality at all, get a job on TV somewhere.
I'm surprised that Bieniemy has been overlooked over last several coaching vaccancies - I'd like see him come to Denver. And not only will these fired coaches easily get hired as coordinators, but some of them will be hired directly as HCs. McCarthy was fired in Dec, 2018 & took 2019 off (only interviewed for the Jet's vacancy while turning down others) & was hired by the Cowboys in 2020. Flores looks to be a top candidate for most of the current openings:

Other than the inconvenience of having to relocate, HC in the NFL has to be one of the least stressful jobs in all of pro sports - only their egos tend to be their undoing. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I would agree just about anything is possible this playoff season. I really don't see Pittsburgh making it to the Super Bowl, even if they somehow upset the Chiefs. Probably not the Raiders, Cardinals, Eagles or 49ers. Probably. What does that leave? Eight teams?! Even a Bengals vs. Rams SB wouldn't shock me.

Other than the inconvenience of having to relocate, HC in the NFL has to be one of the least stressful jobs in all of pro sports - only their egos tend to be their undoing. Lol
That does tend to happen! I have heard it can be long hours, brutal late in the season. But what, six months of the year you're overworked? The rest of the time you're paid to think about what might happen, read some e-mails and reports, answer a few phone calls,...while you play golf! I've also heard it's the assistant level that's the worst. Indentured servants to HC's and Coordinators, babysitters to plenty of big egos.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
Giants coach also gone..............another predictable one. His bizarre post game rant a few weeks ago probably sealed his fate.
Seems like the Giants have a thing for HC who can't manage their PR (remember McAdoo?).
Which is funny since it's probably the NFL city where PR matter most.

Houston firing Culley after one year is honestly laughable. They never intended to give him a real shot at keeping the job. I mean he won 4 games with clearly the least talented roster in the league. That's 4 more games than he should have in my book.

Seems like the Giants have a thing for HC who can't manage their PR (remember McAdoo?).
Which is funny since it's probably the NFL city where PR matter most.

Houston firing Culley after one year is honestly laughable. They never intended to give him a real shot at keeping the job. I mean he won 4 games with clearly the least talented roster in the league. That's 4 more games than he should have in my book.
The Texans became a laughing stock with the mind numbing Hopkins trade and its been downhill ever since and how no one knew about Watson's behavior smells like a cover up.. They are now what the Browns used to be, rudderless and inept. The Giants inhabit the same category of organizational chaos.

Yes, the Texans look like they are on the front end of year after year of losing seasons. Not only do they not have a QB (that isn't likely a serial predator), or key players, or a coach, they have a massive amount of dead money, like over $30m.

The Giants are in about as bad of situation as well, as they have more than coaching problems. Last I looked, they were close to $20m over the cap heading into next season. So the hope of signing a few key free agents to improve their chances in the next couple years are next to zero. Being over the cap isn't a horrible thing, providing your team is actually good. The Giants do however have two 1st round picks this year, so let's see what they do.

I think a good example of what may come for these teams is the early 2000's Raiders, before Al Davis died (and was maybe senile). Year after year between about 2004-2012 they were over the cap, or had huge amounts of dead money, all while having a revolving door of head coaches, most fired in knee-jerk manner (similar to my previous post).

The Lions were like this for years. But the numbers are starting to look hopeful for them, and Dan Campbell seems like a coach that could turn them into at least a decent team. The players sure seemed to like playing for him, even when they were losing game after game his guys came to play. So we'll see.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Flores firing was a weird one considering the way they finished the season. Zimmer and Nagy were predictable. Baalke was a disaster at the 49ers, God knows what the Jags were thinking.
Flores and the GM at Miami were not on good terms. Disagrements on topics such as firing of coordinators and Flores wanted watson in a trade. Speaking of Watson he might not play next year either. By the time he gets back onto a football field he will have a ton of rust and who knows what will be left.

Raiders hanging in there with 10 to go.
Tough loss with the early whistle on the touchdown. Who knows how the game would have went but I don’t agree with their choice to spike it on first. They had enough time to run a play and have 4 attempts at the end zone.

Bengals with their first playoff win in a long time and they’ll ride and die on Burrow and Chase.

I do not envy anyone in Buffalo right now. They were saying yesterday the tickets were $40 due to the cold and more expensive for Canadians to go to the game because they have to get tested before crossing back and forth on the border.

TRENDING THREADS