• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 537 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The announcers didn't notice, but GB only had 10 men on the field for that last kick by SF. Someone also questioned whether they had the correct personnel of block unit as well, and this was after a timeout. It's hard to imagine a team of this quality could make such an egregious debacle late, this is the kind of mistake high school teams make, but they did. I'm not saying they would have blocked the kick, Gould was indeed gold, as Jimmy G said, but what a bitter pill to swallow for GB, after the sick feeling of losing such a game.

There's been a long knock on Rodgers not stepping up in big games late, against the 49ers most of all. There's some stat someone cooked up about his lack of comeback wins, but I'm not going to look it up because it's skewed. But while the weather was bad, and there was plenty of blame to go around, poor play calling by GB, not adapting their run game late, and horrible special teams play, Rodgers looked very average as the game went on. He was too focused on finding Adams, and cold weather or not, SF boogeyman or not, the stats only lie so much. Those last two three and out's, -9 and -6 yards were ugly. Granted, there were dumb penalties, but his passes were just not on, or really that close, and they (I'm blaming LeFleur as much as Aaron here) were no longer focusing on short passes or short gains of any kind, run or pass. It's like they were playing with some sort of desperation, hope, trying to not lose. While the last couple drives the 49ers, were re-focusing, adapting, grinding it out, yard by yard, which is how games like this are won.

I'm harping a lot on GB, and LeFleur deserves most of the blame. He and Maurice Drayton, special teams coach, more than the "average" Rodgers. At least LeFlur is stepping up and taking full responsibility, and he should. However, the more I reflect on this game, the more the 49ers deserve credit. They are an experienced, very talented and very well coached team, uneven or not. Jimmy G actually really only had one bad pass, early. Kyle Shanahan coached maybe the best game of his career. Their D really sucked it up, as did their OL. They didn't give up on the run, even after they were getting stuffed early. They made mistakes as a team, but they stuck together, and played best when it mattered most.

Last edited:
Rodgers deserves the blame just as much as LeFleur for the offensive struggles, maybe more. He was hyper focused on Adams and targeted the other receivers only 5 times. Minus the 75 yard blown coverage he would have had 150 yards and GB was fine with closing the half before the timeout. There were multiple occasions of the other receivers being open and he throws to Adams or holds waiting for Adams and gets sacked, throws it away, or runs it. Even on the last offensive play, his other receiver was wide open with clear touchdown path opposite of Adams and he threw it to the double covered receiver. Maybe if he throws to the open receivers they can actually get some more points.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/Buccaneers/status/1485318916775858179?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1485318916775858179%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-37062030203201040044.ampproject.net%2F2201071715000%2Fframe.html

Big loss for Tampa with Wirfs, Grayson, Perriman, and Jones inactive. This is looking like Rams are going to win from their pass rush and the game going like the Pats vs Broncos AFCGC in 2015. If it is one score late though I would have to go with the Bucs.

Rams inactives
LT Andrew Whitworth
S Taylor Rapp
QB Bryce Perkins
RB Buddy Howell
OLB Terrell Lewis
OLB Chris Garrett
OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr.

Last edited:
TB sure looks like it's missing those guys. The Rams look...good. Not great, good. But TB just looks empty, almost a shell of the team that won some of the big games they did. I'm sure the 49ers are feeling a little happy about now, no matter who wins this game.

Agree Rodgers deserves plenty of blame. The unquestionable leader of the team, the ball and many decision making opportunities in his hands, all that money, and all the talk, and he just didn't deliver. Like I said, after one drive, he looked average. Granted, the 49ers have a very good defense, but great QB's are supposed to rise to, and above that level. He looked more like Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, even Taylor Heinke, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garrapollo maybe. Does that mean he sucked? No, but when you're the guy, the leader, the MVP...

I've been saying this since the Cardinals game in the regular season: the Rams can win both battles in the trenches with every single team out there.
Donald can singlehandedly destroy your pass protection and you still have to handle Von Miller.
Their O-line is special even when missing an important peace line Whitworth.
And when you win in the trenches you always have a good chance of winning the game.

I know Tom Brady is capable of legendary comebacks but this is looking increasingly unlikely.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
Some thoughts:
The 49ers being a bit more of a run team could handle the cold better than more pass oriented warm weather teams, so that helped. Plus that do have a good defense. With that combination you should be able to compete in the cold. Aaron Rodgers has been a diva for awhile, but gets worse every year.
The Bengals haven continued to improve throughout the season, so I wasn't surprised they won and wouldn't be shocked if they give themselves a chance in the AFC Championship game as well.

Reactions: jmdirt
Three games three walk offs. NFL must be laughing. Some gutsy throws by Stafford on the final drive but why wouldn't you have faith in Kupp albeit almost at the cost of a Stafford fumble which he recovered. Almost as if it was meant to be, the Niners and the Rams to meet next week and the Rams will never be more motivated while the Niners will probably be feeling confident with their 6-0 record in their past 6 meetings. Had a feeling that the Rams were going to prevail against the Bucs. If the TV ratings don't improve for this season, I don't know what else the NFL can do...........

Wow. Rams did everything they could to blow that game and lose. Stupid bad coverage on their best player (Cupp, who I would vote for MVP) at the end proved Tampa was even more capable of blowing it.

The SF-LA game will be something. The Rams will definitely be motivated, but they would also be too determined, and too wound up. Just the same, the 49ers could come in overconfident and too relaxed.

Wanted the Bills to win but was never confident...........

The Bills kept fighting back, converted 4th downs, came up big in the 4th quarter, but their defense let them down. I know it’s the Chiefs, but I expected more from their defense. Josh Allen had a very good game. Hopefully they get another shot next season. I don’t see why they can’t contend for the SB in the next few seasons.

It would have been a disaster for the NFL if Mahomes lost, with Rodgers and Brady already our. I can’t imagine high ratings for a Buffalo vs Bengals AFC championship game.

Wow, we almost had two overtime games today and this might be the year they change the overtime rules again. Both teams I wanted to win came up short at the end on defense after fighting hard. It is crazy that on the NFC side they don’t have the young quarterback depth as the AFC and having question marks on Brady and Rodgers on if they will play next year and if on the same team. AFC we should have years of battles between Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, and potentially Watson if his career is ever righted.

KC/Buffalo has just ensured the entire weekend and in general the entire season has been a crazy year of football.
No kidding...unbelievable game! I thought Buffalo had it in the bag with that strike to Gabriel Davis with 13 secs left (Davis 8 catches for almost 200 yds & 4 TDs!). Then Superman chews up 50 yards in just 11 secs like he's playing a 7 on 7 drill. Lol. I figured with KC winning the OT toss they would just mow down the field and get the winning TD (who would have thought). And what an effort by Allen - the new dual-threat QB in the league. His mobility & running kept them in the game (4 for 4 on 4th down & 2 TDs).

I'll take KC riding into the SB again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The only explanation for the end of that KC game is that Buffalo's defense must have been exhausted. No one moves the ball that far, that fast, not even KC and Mahomes. Monday morning QB here, but why did Buffalo kick the ball deep with 13 seconds left? Why not squib it? They have a good special teams, and that would have shaved at least a couple seconds off the clock with the ball in someone else's hands instead of Mahomes for one play. Then again, with the way they were running out of gas on D, maybe it didn't matter.

Agree on OT rules. To see Josh Allen sitting on the sidelines in OT, never getting to touch the ball, after all that back and forth excitement it's awful. It was like whoever won the coin toss was going to win the game. They don't have to change the rule in the regular season, in fact I'd be fine with no OT in the regular season and a few more tie games, but in the playoffs? How many times have we seen this? If I remember right, it happened to Peyton Manning a few times.

Agree the NFL definitely would rather have KC and Mahomes still in the playoffs. I'm not saying it was rigged (though I'm convinced that has happened more than we'll ever know) but it sure benefits the league.

I'll take KC next week over Cincy. The other game, probably SF, but let me think about it.

The only explanation for the end of that KC game is that Buffalo's defense must have been exhausted. No one moves the ball that far, that fast, not even KC and Mahomes. Monday morning QB here, but why did Buffalo kick the ball deep with 13 seconds left? Why not squib it? They have a good special teams, and that would have shaved at least a couple seconds off the clock with the ball in someone else's hands instead of Mahomes for one play. Then again, with the way they were running out of gas on D, maybe it didn't matter.

Agree on OT rules. To see Josh Allen sitting on the sidelines in OT, never getting to touch the ball, after all that back and forth excitement it's awful. It was like whoever won the coin toss was going to win the game. They don't have to change the rule in the regular season, in fact I'd be fine with no OT in the regular season and a few more tie games, but in the playoffs? How many times have we seen this? If I remember right, it happened to Peyton Manning a few times.

Agree the NFL definitely would rather have KC and Mahomes still in the playoffs. I'm not saying it was rigged (though I'm convinced that has happened more than we'll ever know) but it sure benefits the league.

I'll take KC next week over Cincy. The other game, probably SF, but let me think about it.
I want the NFL to go to an OT shootout form the 10 yard line.

As we start getting it pushed back to both teams trying from the 50 if they keep scoring. With a twist on it, I think both offenses should be moved back 5-10 yards each time they both score and have four downs to score. But then have if team A scores in 2 plays, team B has to score in 3 plays to tie and keep OT going or they win if they score in 1.

That would be good with no overtime in the regular season, especially if they increase the amount of games again like is rumored.

I don’t know, I think a lot of people are sick of the Chiefs or are going to start down that path. 4th consecutive home AFC Championship game is starting to look like NE potentially. I personally don’t have any dog in the fight and don’t dislike any of their players but I do want them to lose since I’m tired of Nick Wright. NE went to what, 9 AFCCG’s? If Chiefs win again I can definitely see the only ones rooting for them be their fans.

And probably not happening but imagine Rodgers to Steelers and Brady and Gronk to Titans.

Last edited:
I'd be good with the old college OT rules of each team gets the ball at the 25 and play until someone wins. After the 2nd OT no more kicking PATs.

As we start getting it pushed back to both teams trying from the 50 if they keep scoring. With a twist on it, I think both offenses should be moved back 5-10 yards each time they both score and have four downs to score. But then have if team A scores in 2 plays, team B has to score in 3 plays to tie and keep OT going or they win if they score in 1.

That would be good with no overtime in the regular season, especially if they increase the amount of games again like is rumored.

I don’t know, I think a lot of people are sick of the Chiefs or are going to start down that path. 4th consecutive home AFC Championship game is starting to look like NE potentially. I personally don’t have any dog in the fight and don’t dislike any of their players but I do want them to lose since I’m tired of Nick Wright. NE went to what, 9 AFCCG’s? If Chiefs win again I can definitely see the only ones rooting for them be their fans.

And probably not happening but imagine Rodgers to Steelers and Brady and Gronk to Titans.

The Steelers just told Haskins they are going to put a restricted free agent tender on him. So they're going to be paying him around 2.5 million next year. It sounds like they are happy with him and Rudolph for next year. Although I wouldn't mind if they drafted Pickett or Howell if either are available when they draft. Although Pickett falling that far is highly unlikely. I really do NOT want Rodgers on the Steelers. They need a good young QB like the rest of the division has and they really need to rebuild.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS