• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 567 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Brady takes time off to spend time with his family when school starts and rumors run abound on top of the Raiders rumors. Man can’t have a week without something happening. All I know is if he and Gronk did go to LVR my family and I would have been a fan of them. On a side note my fiancé and I are going to the KC vs LVR game this year. Hopefully there’s something to play for. We got free tickets for that and a whole bunch of other stuff when we were at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

I hope this didn't catch anyone by surprise here. Lol

No kidding coach - Darnold was never in the hunt even though you said the two could battle it out in the preseason. Lol. Some bad news though: 3rd rd pick & 3rd QB on the depth chart rookie Matt Corral done for the year:

So, with Baker at the helm & a healthy Christian Mac locked & loaded let's see what this team can do this year with their "new look offense." I say this is do or die for Rhule going into his 3rd season - he's a dismal 10-23 over the last 2 seasons.

Last edited:
I hope this didn't catch anyone by surprise here. Lol

No kidding coach - Darnold was never in the hunt even though you said the two could battle it out in the preseason. Lol. Some bad news though: 3rd rd pick & 3rd QB on the depth chart rookie Matt Corral done for the year:

So, with Baker at the helm & a healthy Christian Mac locked & loaded let's see what this team can do this year with their "new look offense." I say this is do or die for Rhule going into his 3rd season - he's a dismal 10-23 over the last 2 seasons.
CMC is overdue for an injury free season.

Last edited:
All the talk about Trey Lance being the man in SF and he played really anemic against the Texans. Almost nothing of note. No throws deep, nothing to the sidelines. He wasn't even consistently accurate on short passes. He even looked hesitant on almost every play that developed, didn't even look like he was ready to play in the NFL.

So much hype about how on form he was in camp, he's their guy, the tools to take the NFL by storm, etc. I saw nothing close, against a mediocre team. If I were opposing teams I'd stuff the front line, have the corners hedge in, and challenge the 49ers throw deep and out.

Reactions: jmdirt
All the talk about Trey Lance being the man in SF and he played really anemic against the Texans. Almost nothing of note. No throws deep, nothing to the sidelines. He wasn't even consistently accurate on short passes. He even looked hesitant on almost every play that developed, didn't even look like he was ready to play in the NFL.

So much hype about how on form he was in camp, he's their guy, the tools to take the NFL by storm, etc. I saw nothing close, against a mediocre team. If I were opposing teams I'd stuff the front line, have the corners hedge in, and challenge the 49ers throw deep and out.
The hype about Lance has been nauseating even for some 49er fans. Many of the talking heads are already talking SB. Should know more about Lance by midseason or so.

Many of the talking heads are already talking SB. Should know more about Lance by midseason or so.
What? SB?!??! Did they watch yesterday's game? They are going to have to play better overall, and Lance is going to have to massively improve in order to even contend for the division! Remember, the Rams play in this division. You know, the team that won the Super Bowl.

On a side note my fiancé and I are going to the KC vs LVR game this year. Hopefully there’s something to play for. We got free tickets for that and a whole bunch of other stuff when we were at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
Man, I envy you. I wish I had been at Six Flags. Love that amusement park, btw. Fav ride was X2. They were building Full Throttle when I was last there. So, I'm getting a little old for the giga coasters! When I was there last both Goliath and Scream badly need a theme to them (posters, trees, fire, water, mist, etc.). They were pretty much steel over asphalt. First rode Revolution back in about 1978!

When this guy is done playing safety he can have a 2nd career as a kicker in the league - how cool would that be. :cool:
The late, great George Blanda played years for the Bears, then Raiders (before Ken Stabler, before & with Darryl Lamonica), starting first as a QB, then became a kicker, and the Raiders 2rd and then 3rd string QB to the end of his career. (Until they drafted Ray Guy, who became the team's 3rd string QB!) Blanda played until he was 48! Take that Tom Brady!

Pulled this off a Wikipedia page about the 1970 Oakland Raiders:

The Raiders' 1970 season is best remembered for a series of clutch performances by veteran placekicker/quarterback George Blanda. Blanda, despite being cut during the 1970 preseason, eventually re-joined the Raiders' roster. His ensuing season (the twenty-first of his professional career) would rank as one of the more dramatic comebacks in sports history. Over a span of five consecutive games, Blanda would come off the bench to spark a series of dramatic rallies. The Raiders went an impressive 4–0–1 over this span.

Blanda's five-game "streak" began against the Pittsburgh Steelers, throwing for two touchdowns in relief of an injured Daryle Lamonica. One week later, his 48-yard field goal (with three seconds remaining on the clock) salvaged a 17–17 tie with the defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs. One week later, on November 8, Blanda would come off the bench against the Cleveland Browns. His late touchdown pass (with 1:34 remaining in the game) tied the game at 20–20. He would ultimately kick a 53-yard field goal, as time expired, to give the Raiders a stunning 23–20 victory. The following week, against the Denver Broncos, Blanda again replaced Lamonica in the fourth quarter. His touchdown pass to Fred Biletnikoff, with 2:28 left in the game, gave the Raiders an unlikely 24–19 win. The incredible streak concluded one week later against the San Diego Chargers. The Raiders managed to drive deep into Chargers territory in the game's final seconds. Blanda's last-minute 16-yard field goal would seal a dramatic 20–17 triumph.

Blanda's streak played a huge role in the Raiders' 1970 division title, as the team went a mediocre 4–4–1 in "non-streak" games. Indeed, their final record of 8–4–2 placed them one game ahead of the Chiefs at season's end.

The Raiders would ultimately advance to the 1970 AFC Championship Game, where they met the heavily favored 11–2–1 Baltimore Colts. During this game, Blanda again came off the bench in relief of an injured Lamonica. Blanda's solid play (17 of 32 passes for 217 yards, two touchdowns, and a 48-yard field goal) kept the Raiders in the game until the final quarter, when he was intercepted twice. At age 43, Blanda became the oldest quarterback to ever play in a championship game.

Blanda's eye-opening achievements resulted in his winning the Bert Bell Award. Chiefs' owner Lamar Hunt quipped that ".
..this George Blanda is as good as his father, who used to play for Houston." While he never again played a major role at quarterback, Blanda would serve as the Raiders' kicker for five more seasons.

That comment about Blanda being as good as his father was a joke. Hunt was talking about George, due to his age, who played for Houston some 20 years previous. Blanda's father was a coal miner.

Man, I envy you. I wish I had been at Six Flags. Love that amusement park, btw. Fav ride was X2. They were building Full Throttle when I was last there. So, I'm getting a little old for the giga coasters! When I was there last both Goliath and Scream badly need a theme to them (posters, trees, fire, water, mist, etc.). They were pretty much steel over asphalt. First rode Revolution back in about 1978!
Yeah it was a great time. That’s the third time we’ve been there in the last 10 months since we have their membership, which was a steal. $15 a month and we can go to any Six Flags park nationwide and the ones in Canada and Mexico, 2 free meals and 1 snack each day, free parking, 25% off merchandise and food, free refills, a hydro flask, and a bunch of other stuff. I don’t know how they made money off that deal but it is a fricken steal. We’ve done them all that are still there currently and the new Wonder Woman ride. Our favorites are X2, tatsu, Wonder Woman, Goliath, and Twisted Colossus. Though on Goliath one of the times somehow a rider was able to bring a cup of ice on the ride and staff didn’t take it causing everyone behind him to get hit in the head by his ice.

Araiza punted the laces off of the ball in college so this isn't too surprising, but still impressive. If he can learn to kick it 80 yards and check up before the goal line, that would really be something. If the Bills offense is what it should be this year, Matt won't have enough field in front of him very often to repeat this.

EDIT: the NFL blocked sharing the link, but you can find it all over the www.
Well, Matt is unemployed because (allegedly) he has sex with people who are incoherent, and then shares them with his friends.

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
49ers re-sign Jimmy G for 6.5 million fully guaranteed, no trade clause one year contract plus incentives ! Pretty obvious the 49ers are not sold on Lance yet. This blindsided a lot of so called 49er and NFL experts...
TBH, this is probably the smartest thing they could do, if they think they can win this season. It gives them an ace in the hole if Lance doesn't perform well. Will it pressure Lance to perform? Well, welcome to the NFL Trey! Jimmy isn't the most exciting QB, but he has a knack for winning games, and teammates seem motivated around him and respect him a lot.

TBH, this is probably the smartest thing they could do, if they think they can win this season. It gives them an ace in the hole if Lance doesn't perform well. Will it pressure Lance to perform? Well, welcome to the NFL Trey! Jimmy isn't the most exciting QB, but he has a knack for winning games, and teammates seem motivated around him and respect him a lot.
To your point: teammate motivation will be key.

49ers re-sign Jimmy G for 6.5 million fully guaranteed, no trade clause one year contract plus incentives ! Pretty obvious the 49ers are not sold on Lance yet. This blindsided a lot of so called 49er and NFL experts...........
Well, that new contract makes him much more attractive to keep around for the 49ers. It also makes him more attractive to other teams. "No trade clause" doesn't mean a great deal - just means that Jimmy G needs to be fully on board with any trade and he can veto otherwise. Realistically, no team would trade for him unless he wanted to go there anyway. So if a good team were to lose its QB to injury early in the season and he isn't doing much in San Fran then a trade could still happen

Well, that new contract makes him much more attractive to keep around for the 49ers. It also makes him more attractive to other teams. "No trade clause" doesn't mean a great deal - just means that Jimmy G needs to be fully on board with any trade and he can veto otherwise. Realistically, no team would trade for him unless he wanted to go there anyway. So if a good team were to lose its QB to injury early in the season and he isn't doing much in San Fran then a trade could still happen
Yes no doubt with the drop in salary that he becomes more tradeable but they will only trade him it seems if Lance is doing okay. If Lance is playing badly throughout the season Jimmy will probably get extended. He also has an incentive heavy contract so if Lance was benched, the 6.5 will more than double depending on how much Jimmy plays and wins. Shanahan has a lot to think about.

Football staring this week with Bills at Rams on Thursday. I hope all of the prime time games are like last years. For this game I’m picking Rams in a close competition.
Division winners I think will be; Bills, Bengals, Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Packers, Rams, and Bucs. Wild cards to Chiefs, Titans, and Dolphins in AFC, NFC Saints, Niners, and Cardinals.
I think all of the divisions will be hard fought for number 1 as well besides NFC North and South.

Football staring this week with Bills at Rams on Thursday. I hope all of the prime time games are like last years. For this game I’m picking Rams in a close competition.
Division winners I think will be; Bills, Bengals, Chargers, Colts, Cowboys, Packers, Rams, and Bucs. Wild cards to Chiefs, Titans, and Dolphins in AFC, NFC Saints, Niners, and Cardinals.
I think all of the divisions will be hard fought for number 1 as well besides NFC North and South.
Agree with those picks maybe wavering a little on the Colts and Packers. Niners is all about the QB play they produce as their team is stacked. The Cards are another team that could go either way and they lost Chandler Jones and have Hopkins out for a while.

TRENDING THREADS