• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 568 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Agree with those picks maybe wavering a little on the Colts and Packers. Niners is all about the QB play they produce as their team is stacked. The Cards are another team that could go either way and they lost Chandler Jones and have Hopkins out for a while.
I could see Packers winning division 10-7 honestly. And yes will be hard for Ninerd and Cards but don’t know where the others get Better to pass them but we will see.

Reactions: jmdirt
For some reason I like the Rams over the Bills too. I think there may be a little too much hype around the Bills, the whole Von Miller angle, and I think the Rams experience will help. But if history repeats (not including the Brady lead Patriots), teams that win the SB tend to start well, but fade over the next season.

Division winners for me:

AFC
Bills
Bengals
Raiders (biased!)
Colts

NFC
Eagles
Packers
Rams
Buccaneers

Most likely WC contenders: Chiefs, Ravens, Chargers, Colts in AFC, and Cowboys, Saints, Cardinals, 49ers in NFC.

If I had to pick a SB I'd say Bills over the Buccaneers. But the Bengals have a lot of young fire, their own star QB, and added re-enforcements where they needed it most. Chargers and Ravens look potentially dangerous. I see them losing some games, but capable of beating anyone. Raiders are honestly similar. I really think the Ravens are going to do very well. But that's a tough division. I think GB will be 11-5, and their defense could really shine. Really curious how they look late in the season, playoffs. May knock some teams off. I don't see the Rams getting deep into the playoffs, if they win their division. They barely won the SB last year, and likely regress a little in personnel. Plus it's so hard to repeat, but they have great players at key positions.

Teams that could surprise include: Dolphins, Broncos (easy start to season), Steelers, Lions (deeper and more balanced than you think), Vikings (new coach). Carolina sucked last year, but maybe Mayfield can give them some mojo and a decent season.

For some reason I don't have much faith in 49ers. They have one of the best defenses in the league, but so much pressure, so many expectations for Lance. They seem in a position not too different than the Browns. At least that's my thought. But if the Browns are 5-6 partway through the season, they have Watson to (hopefully!) lean on. Will a struggling 49er team turn to Garrapolo?

For some reason I like the Rams over the Bills too. I think there may be a little too much hype around the Bills, the whole Von Miller angle, and I think the Rams experience will help. But if history repeats (not including the Brady lead Patriots), teams that win the SB tend to start well, but fade over the next season.

Division winners for me:

AFC
Bills
Bengals
Raiders (biased!)
Colts

NFC
Eagles
Packers
Rams
Buccaneers

Most likely WC contenders: Chiefs, Ravens, Chargers, Colts in AFC, and Cowboys, Saints, Cardinals, 49ers in NFC.

If I had to pick a SB I'd say Bills over the Buccaneers. But the Bengals have a lot of young fire, their own star QB, and added re-enforcements where they needed it most. Chargers and Ravens look potentially dangerous. I see them losing some games, but capable of beating anyone. Raiders are honestly similar. I really think the Ravens are going to do very well. But that's a tough division. I think GB will be 11-5, and their defense could really shine. Really curious how they look late in the season, playoffs. May knock some teams off. I don't see the Rams getting deep into the playoffs, if they win their division. They barely won the SB last year, and likely regress a little in personnel. Plus it's so hard to repeat, but they have great players at key positions.

Teams that could surprise include: Dolphins, Broncos (easy start to season), Steelers, Lions (deeper and more balanced than you think), Vikings (new coach). Carolina sucked last year, but maybe Mayfield can give them some mojo and a decent season.

For some reason I don't have much faith in 49ers. They have one of the best defenses in the league, but so much pressure, so many expectations for Lance. They seem in a position not too different than the Browns. At least that's my thought. But if the Browns are 5-6 partway through the season, they have Watson to (hopefully!) lean on. Will a struggling 49er team turn to Garrapolo?
Will be interesting to see if Lance is given a long leash or Shanahan caves in to pressure re the making the playoffs. If he is playing poorly its an easy decision but if they are having close games and he is playing okay it will be interesting to see what Shanahan does. Midpoint of the season might be the crunch time. I'd be shocked if it happened before week 5.

Tipping the Bills over the Rams.

At one point Mike Terico noted, "2/3 of the Rams players didn't play a down in the pre-season". Not sure that was only it, as the Bills look legit as billed, gave the Rams a good butt kicking.
If you'll remember, for many years I have complained about the poor quality of play through the first 2-4 games because the 'starters don't do anything until game one. In the last few seasons that has changed for several teams, and since its a 'copycat league' I expect that to continue to swing toward getting the starters more prepped for the first game.

I get it, you want to protect your best players (for many reasons), and you need to hold roster tryouts, but you also have to win games...the Bills are 1-0, the Rams 0-1. I'm not dismissing the obvious "the Bills would have won anyway", but who knows. Our group here, and all of the talking heads are talking about the Rams figuring out the receiver picture and getting MS in synch, but mid September is a little late for that. Plus I've read several comments about how they adjust to not having Miller with their new ends/linebackers. Again, mid September is too late for that.

All that being said, it was a pretty good game albeit with a few too many mistakes on both sides.

Division winners for me:

AFC
Bills
Bengals
Raiders (biased!)
Colts

NFC
Eagles
Packers
Rams
Buccaneers

Oh....My.....GAWD!!!! Seahawks win tomorrow could give them Division lead! Dare to dream.

• Love
Like @jmdirt said, a lot of sloppy football. Chiefs and Dolphins look great after the trade. I hope the Dolphins can keep this going and they’ve won the last 4 games vs NE. Packers disappointing again in the first week. Steelers and Bengals both didn’t want to win but Steelers eked it out.

Bucs were disappointing on third down with letting the rush get to Brady but they got the win. Jones had a huge catch and almost a follow up for a touchdown. Honestly worried about Saints next week, it’ll be a rough game.

Good wins for the Giants, Miami and Vikings. Quite a few upsets.49er were awful against the Bears, just a really sloppy performance. Lance's performance was as expected in his third start but 12 penalties plus turnovers won't get it done especially on a wet field with a low scoring game. 49ers should have been up by 20 at halftime, the last quarter was a shambles. Not a good start for the NFC West teams with Seattle yet to play.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
There was some good play today, but a lot of messy play too.

PIT eeeeked one out, but have two BIG injuries (I hope there is good news this week).
Min and KC looked good from the few times I was able to peak at their games.
DAL looks horrible. Dak looks off (and now has a hand injury).
Lots of interceptions today. I wonder what the league total was?

There was some good play today, but a lot of messy play too.

PIT eeeeked one out, but have two BIG injuries (I hope there is good news this week).
Min and KC looked good from the few times I was able to peak at their games.
DAL looks horrible. Dak looks off (and now has a hand injury).
Lots of interceptions today. I wonder what the league total was?
High, there seemed to be a lot of turnovers in every game.

Steelers Bengals was like a playoff game. Turnovers killed the Bengals, but credit Pittsburgh for that. I hope Watt is okay. I liked the way Burrow fought through his uneven play.

Raiders looked okay, Carr looked terrible. 3 ints, 3 fumbles, alone. Maybe the worst game of his career. I mean, Jarett Stidham looked considerably better in every way during the preseason. Chargers look good.

May be a league record week for turnovers. Way too many!

Chiefs look like they didn't miss a beat. Mahomes still great. Cards look like they still think it's the preseason.

Kirk Cousins looked like a completely different QB beating the Packers. New coaching regime benefitted him well. Packers looked just flat.

Cowboys offense looked terrible. Prescott apparently needs hand surgery. TB didn't even look great, but they won easily.

Liked Miami's win. The challenged Jones to throw deep, and he couldn't do it. Fins looks solid.

Loved how gritty the Lions looked. They may not actually suck this year. Yeah they lost, gave up way too many points, but against a stacked Eagles team, barely.

49ers offense looked terrible. Good thing they still have Jimmy G. :oops:

TRENDING THREADS