• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 590 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Six of the nine wins by the Vikings have been decided by one score and their only two losses have been blow outs. The rest of their schedule is as follows : Jets, Lions, Colts,Giants, Packers and Bears. They have a real shot at winning the NFC.

Im not a vikes fan, nor a vikes hater, but I think winning close ones all season long builds character.

Im not a vikes fan, nor a vikes hater, but I think winning close ones all season long builds character.
The 49ers had a similar season in 2019 when they made it to the SB. Lots of close games and they also had a harder schedule but I think it could indicate that Cousins is learning how to finish off games more consistently. Something he has struggled with in the past especially against the better opponents and he still only has one playoff win in 2019. The two beat downs this season were curious though against the struggling GB early in the season and the horrible loss to the Cowboys. They will make the playoffs but it remains to be seen whether they can do much in the post season. The brand of football they are playing now is more entertaining than the Zimmer era brand.

If Beckham goes to DAL, that could be the piece that puts them over the top. There are only so many balls to go around, but CeeDee could use someone else to pull the D away. Gallup might gain the most out of a move like this.

Can McCarthy/Moore keep Beckham's ego in check?

BAL? NYG? BUF?

If Beckham goes to DAL, that could be the piece that puts them over the top. There are only so many balls to go around, but CeeDee could use someone else to pull the D away. Gallup might gain the most out of a move like this.

Can McCarthy/Moore keep Beckham's ego in check?

BAL? NYG? BUF?
The grapevine is saying it's the Giants or Cowboys. He is meeting with Dak and Jerry this week and also has a meeting with the Giants. Should be decided by the end of the month. The 49ers also showed interest but he would see less of the ball there.

Reactions: jmdirt
But he's coming off ACL surgery. Just how close he will be to who he was last year remains to be seen, and even then, the LA version was good, but he wasn't the same version he was in NY. He's definitely done a good job of keeping himself in the news lately. Someone will pay him. I think it may be a mistake for Dallas to grab him. Enough egos there already, and their strength is running the ball - mostly with Pollard before Eliot, then passing. When they focus too much on the pass, Dak tends to try to take too much on, forces too many balls, holds the ball too long, etc.

I too like the way the Vikings are playing more aggressive. I like that Cousins is taking more risks. The game against NE was I think a great game for him. He threw one bad pick, and a couple other errant throws, but he also made some superb ones when it mattered most. I don't recall him ever playing like this his entire career.

Even if Minnesota wins HFA, they are going to have that thought in the back of their head just how blown out they were by Dallas. It's almost like, until they beat them again...

I agree that winning close games shows you how to win close games. KC, Buffalo, now Minnesota have all done a good job of it this year. I haven't looked at actual games and scores, but it seems to me that Miami, Baltimore, SF, and even Detroit have gritted it out in close games. I still think the Lions could make the playoffs, though they'll have to finish 9-8 at worst.

The flip side is of course Las Vegas, Denver too. Great at losing close games. I honestly think the Raiders will get better and be a decent team. It may not happen this year, but there are enough good moving parts there. Denver, they seem to be in a real hole.

Like I said before, I kind of expected the Rams to fall off this year. But I saw maybe a 10-7 year where they struggled to make the playoffs. I didn't expect them to fall off this far, this quickly.

But he's coming off ACL surgery. Just how close he will be to who he was last year remains to be seen, and even then, the LA version was good, but he wasn't the same version he was in NY. He's definitely done a good job of keeping himself in the news lately. Someone will pay him. I think it may be a mistake for Dallas to grab him. Enough egos there already, and their strength is running the ball - mostly with Pollard before Eliot, then passing. When they focus too much on the pass, Dak tends to try to take too much on, forces too many balls, holds the ball too long, etc.

I too like the way the Vikings are playing more aggressive. I like that Cousins is taking more risks. The game against NE was I think a great game for him. He threw one bad pick, and a couple other errant throws, but he also made some superb ones when it mattered most. I don't recall him ever playing like this his entire career.

Even if Minnesota wins HFA, they are going to have that thought in the back of their head just how blown out they were by Dallas. It's almost like, until they beat them again...

I agree that winning close games shows you how to win close games. KC, Buffalo, now Minnesota have all done a good job of it this year. I haven't looked at actual games and scores, but it seems to me that Miami, Baltimore, SF, and even Detroit have gritted it out in close games. I still think the Lions could make the playoffs, though they'll have to finish 9-8 at worst.

The flip side is of course Las Vegas, Denver too. Great at losing close games. I honestly think the Raiders will get better and be a decent team. It may not happen this year, but there are enough good moving parts there. Denver, they seem to be in a real hole.

Like I said before, I kind of expected the Rams to fall off this year. But I saw maybe a 10-7 year where they struggled to make the playoffs. I didn't expect them to fall off this far, this quickly.
Rams hit the perfect storm this season. Whitworth retired, OBJ was missing, Miller moved to the Bills amd Stafford has had an elbow ligament injury which might be worse than the Rams are saying. Their O line has been injured all season, often getting down to the third string and they didn't have much depth to start with. Where the 49ers were able to build up depth with a lot of one year contracts, The Rams didn't have that sort of cap space and they spent a lot on Stafford's extension. In hindsight sending Robert Woods to the Titans when they were without OBJ was a mistake and their best RB Akers asked for a release then changed his mind when the season was half over but he wasn't on the field until recently and hasn't done a lot. A few weeks ago Stafford had his first of two concussions and the back up QBs are pretty mediocre. Then Kupp gets hurt and requires ankle surgery.........game over for a team that was was struggling to score 20 points per game all season while Stafford has been throwing many more interceptions than usual and getting sacked a lot more as well due to the O line issues.

I think the Rams are about to rediscover the value of the draft but they don't have a first round pick, I think they have a late second rounder, while Donald might not play for much longer as he considered retirement last season but couldn't turn down the huge money that the Rams were prepared to pay him to continue. They badly need a quality RB and another good WR while sorting out the O line. Even if they had signed CMC and it was a close thing, I doubt that would have been enough to save their season and the injuries were the final straw. Last year they were lucky to have most of their elite players on the field most of the time. As for OBJ he has required ops on both ankles and both knees and when he went down in the SB, it was a non contact injury. Maybe the limbs can't take much more football.

Yes, Beckham is a ?, but I can't see him not being at least as good as last year. There is no chance that he will ever be as good as his NYG years again. He is a really expensive decoy if he can't at least be up to 2021 level.

I sort of agree about Dak, with the exception of his rookie year when he took over for TR, he gets antsy and either switches out of good plays (mostly), and/or forces things that aren't there. I think that Moore and McCarthy have convinced him to stick to plan A or B more often and not skip to plan F. Its less bout the 'focus on passing' because IMO that wasn't the issue, its more about sticking to the plan. This has been my criticism of him since 2017: if every play goes to plan F, no one is ever on the same page.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
sort of agree about Dak... This has been my criticism of him since 2017: if every play goes to plan F, no one is ever on the same page.
Excellent post. As a Raider fan I've felt similar with Derek Carr. Too slow to pull the trigger, too often looking for the maximum payoff on any play. Sort of like how Peyton Manning, Brady, Rodgers have played much of their career. But Dak isn't any of those guys. (Nor is Carr, obviously). If you go back to Kellen Moore, even in college, he was as you say, stick with the plan. Go for A, or B. Make the play, thread the needle, move the ball.

As to the Rams, the also picked up Allen Robinson in the off-season. But he turned out to be pretty disappointing.

Someone asked a few weeks ago about Jamal Adams injury. I did some research. There were indeed thoughts he could play four months (16 weeks) after his surgery. That's why even after he was in a wheelchair when he first came to the team after surgery, Pete Carroll didn't say when he'd be back. But Pete shot that down a couple weeks later saying he would be back in 2023. (here's a link to him in rehab.) I bring this up because Trey Lance was seen walking normally at the 49ers camp, and his doctor too said he'd need about four months to heal. But John Lynch says the same. 2023. In theory, both guys could play in the playoffs. But my gut tells me the only way they really suit up is if they are truly healthy, and the team gets to the SB.

I think the way Buffalo brought Tre White back this season after tearing his ACL last year is probably just smarter. Tre just now played on Thursday, some 15 snaps, which was the team's plan all along. Recall, he's an All-Pro CB, one of the best in the league. It makes total sense to make sure Buffalo has him ready come playoffs. My guess is under that same reasoning they'll rest Von Miller, who suffered a tear of his right meniscus (crazy detailed write-up here). He says he feels okay playing with a brace, but the team is going to re-evaluate him in a couple weeks. With how Buffalo works, I'm guessing he won't play until Dec. 18, vs. Miami.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Great win for the Raiders! Second week in a row with an OT win! Josh Jacobs is a total stud! Sorry to Seattle. But no worries, Denver lost yet again. :grinning:

49er defense looks amazing about now. Far from the team that gave up 44 points to the Chiefs, and 24 to the Falcons. Since that loss a month ago, the 49ers have given up a TOTAL of 40 points. That's it! Curious how they do against the high powered Miami offense a week from now. The same Miami that won again, and hasn't lost a game this year that Tua finished.

Great to see Mike White play well for the Jets! Talk about a guy who followed the plan, to aplomb. The job is yours, kid! (Don't blow it, like the previous guy!)

What were we just saying about KC and Buffalo? Look unstoppable at times, but like they could get beat by anyone on an off-day? Same goes for Baltimore, who after being on a tear lost to Jacksonville, and their vaunted defense somehow made Lawerence look like Joe Montana with several clutch throws keeping drives going late.

Great win for Cleveland over the messy Buccaneers.

At 7-5, is Washington for real?

Right when people thought the Titans were quietly one of the best teams in the NFL no one was talking about, the Bengals (again) put them back a step, even with Chase still out.

I know the penalties were correct by the strict rule of the law, but both the Metcalf non-catch, and the penalty against Strong for interfering with the long snapper on the Bengals FG, were both just bad calls in that they arguably changed the outcome of games on ticky-tacky rules.

I didn’t get to watch the full TB at CLE game but looking at the box score and play by play it looked like CLE just continued running the football over them with TB starting to have the same things that have been plaguing them come up. Speaking of close games, TB is 3-4 in 1 score games and only won 1 coming from behind in the fourth quarter. They’ve failed 2 two point conversions to tie and 1 to make it a 3 point game. They’ve lost two games, KC and BAL, by turning overs on their side of the field enabling easy scores. At this point they can be scary but they’ve shown they can’t keep it for a full game, let alone half a game besides one time against SEA. NFCS is going to be tight for the winner and it’s not going to be a winning record most likely the way things are going.

MIA keeps showing their class and better than I hoped at the start of the season. The last 5 seasons I thought they could make the playoffs and they fell short. Now they look to win the division.

KC increases their lead and almost certainly win the division. Turning into this eras NE in completely stifling the division. Just need the Super Bowl wins.

These playoffs should be very interesting as any team can beat the other, regardless of seeding. I don’t think they 1st seed should rest their starters the final week and we’ve seen those teams come out flat in the divisional round. Add that to the increased injured this year and it could spell disaster.

Agree with that. Two full weeks rest way too often = two weeks of rust. At least get your guys out there for a half, or a quarter. I seem to recall Peyton Manning liked to play the last game, at least much of it, even if it was "meaningless".

Miami has a tougher remaining schedule than Buffalo, and still have to play the Bills, in Buffalo, December 18.

Watching the Broncos game extended highlights alone was ugly. It's almost laughable how bad things are there. I cannot think of another potential HOF player who dropped off as bad as Wilson has. Granted, they have a weak OL, injured receivers, and probably a bad coach. But there's just something wrong with Wilson. He made what looked like two throws you'd expect, but continues to make bad decisions, can't move well, and made more bad throws. And the money they are paying him gives the impression they still have a long, long way to fall. Nearly $50m a year. Even if they cut him after 2025, their best shot for an out, the dead money cap at that time will be $30m. Wilson’s cap hit alone is worth nearly 10% of the Broncos’ salary cap next season, roughly 15% during the 2024 season and a staggering 18% for the 2025 season. One guy taking up more than 1/6th of the entire team's salary. Unreal.

Agree with that. Two full weeks rest way too often = two weeks of rust. At least get your guys out there for a half, or a quarter. I seem to recall Peyton Manning liked to play the last game, at least much of it, even if it was "meaningless".

Miami has a tougher remaining schedule than Buffalo, and still have to play the Bills, in Buffalo, December 18.

Watching the Broncos game extended highlights alone was ugly. It's almost laughable how bad things are there. I cannot think of another potential HOF player who dropped off as bad as Wilson has. Granted, they have a weak OL, injured receivers, and probably a bad coach. But there's just something wrong with Wilson. He made what looked like two throws you'd expect, but continues to make bad decisions, can't move well, and made more bad throws. And the money they are paying him gives the impression they still have a long, long way to fall. Nearly $50m a year. Even if they cut him after 2025, their best shot for an out, the dead money cap at that time will be $30m. Wilson’s cap hit alone is worth nearly 10% of the Broncos’ salary cap next season, roughly 15% during the 2024 season and a staggering 18% for the 2025 season. One guy taking up more than 1/6th of the entire team's salary. Unreal.
Mike Purcell screaming at Wilson on the sideline about the offense had to get it done, not a good look but in typical Wilson fashion he brushed it off with a wishy washy answer.

Seattle headed for a top 3 pick at this point. Amazing.

After losing to the Eagles, the Packers are now 3 games out of a WC spot. They would likely have to run the table at this point, beating both Miami on the road, and Minnesota, to make the playoffs at 9-8. Rodgers thumb injury is apparently bad enough to need surgery. Tonight, Love outplayed him, at least statistically, in limited action. At what point do the Packers shut Rodgers down, send him to IR, and just start Love and see what he can do before his rookie contract ends? They play @ Chicago next week, then the LA Rams the week after. I would think now would be the time to see what Love can do.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
49ers won a scrappy defensive game with the Saints who were the best defense the Niners have faced this season but neither offense fired. Jimmy missed too many opportunitoes and the only TD was off a ricochet.Bad news for the 49ers with Mitchell injured again. Looks like rookie Mason will replace him for a few weeks. I never understood them trading Jeff Wilson to Miami especially with two injury prone RBs like CMC and Mitchell although CMC has had a good season so far for injuries. Dalton made a few good throws then he throws something terrible. The interchange with Hill and Dalton didn't yield results with the Saints run game kept to under 3 yards per carry. Refs missed a lot of calls including Bosa's sack when he clearly jumped early. The Saints offense looked pretty clunky and I don't think that will change until they get much more consistent QB play. The two turnovers from Kamara were costly and the Saints had plenty of opportunities to get on the board near the 49ers line. Warner and Hufanga are playing lights out on the 49ers defense.

Last edited:
Seattle headed for a top 3 pick at this point. Amazing.

After losing to the Eagles, the Packers are now 3 games out of a WC spot. They would likely have to run the table at this point, beating both Miami on the road, and Minnesota, to make the playoffs at 9-8. Rodgers thumb injury is apparently bad enough to need surgery. Tonight, Love outplayed him, at least statistically, in limited action. At what point do the Packers shut Rodgers down, send him to IR, and just start Love and see what he can do before his rookie contract ends? They play @ Chicago next week, then the LA Rams the week after. I would think now would be the time to see what Love can do.
Rodgers now has a rib injury as well so it looks like they will stick with Love and Rodgers will probably go on IR and get his thumb op done you would think.

Should spell an end to any deep playoff run if he is out for the season.
Brady seemed downcast in the post game referring to the struggles this season. Their injury issues started early and they never really got on top of it unlike some other teams who have had a lot of players returning in the second half of the season. Same with the Rams who continue to get injuries now losing Robinson for the season. and JKupp was already out.

Nice win for the Steelers. Talk about the Colts not using time outs, but I think they would have lost either way.

In some fortunate news, Tampa tackle Tristan Wirfs only has a high ankle sprain, but it's a bad one, likely out for a few weeks. Still, nothing torn, nothing as bad as it looked.

Fallout continues towards Russell Wilson. His QBR in Seattle last year was 64. He is now the 2nd lowest of any starting QB in the league at 32.2 (for comparison Tua leads everyone at 82. Andy Dalton is 50.8). Only Davis Mills of Houston is lower. However, this number gets worse when you look at red zone production. Wilson was one of the best in his years in Seattle, his last year even he was at 91.1. Now, in Denver? 6.3. That's not a typo.

Tough article about Denver on SB Nation. Saying it's probably the worst trade in NFL history, that Denver bought a lemon in Wilson, fell into the trap of thinking Seattle was holding him back (remember "Let Russ Cook!"?), the team is now a raging dumpster fire and they need to move forward. I think it really addresses Denver's issue head on.

"Trading Wilson before June 1 is out of the question, but most teams want to make deals for QBs before the draft. Denver cannot manage it. It would accelerate Russ’ guaranteed money, becoming a cap hit of $82M in 2023, carrying another $68 into 2024. It’s also unclear who would want Wilson in a trade with his salary as high as it is.

The most likely and cost-effective solution is a post June 1 cut. It would result in a total two year cap hit of $65.4M — but at least it would move the team past this issue. They could then accept losing in 2023, suck into a high draft pick, and find a long-term QB then."

Nice win for the Steelers. Talk about the Colts not using time outs, but I think they would have lost either way.

In some fortunate news, Tampa tackle Tristan Wirfs only has a high ankle sprain, but it's a bad one, likely out for a few weeks. Still, nothing torn, nothing as bad as it looked.

Fallout continues towards Russell Wilson. His QBR in Seattle last year was 64. He is now the 2nd lowest of any starting QB in the league at 32.2 (for comparison Tua leads everyone at 82. Andy Dalton is 50.8). Only Davis Mills of Houston is lower. However, this number gets worse when you look at red zone production. Wilson was one of the best in his years in Seattle, his last year even he was at 91.1. Now, in Denver? 6.3. That's not a typo.

Tough article about Denver on SB Nation. Saying it's probably the worst trade in NFL history, that Denver bought a lemon in Wilson, fell into the trap of thinking Seattle was holding him back (remember "Let Russ Cook!"?), the team is now a raging dumpster fire and they need to move forward. I think it really addresses Denver's issue head on.

"Trading Wilson before June 1 is out of the question, but most teams want to make deals for QBs before the draft. Denver cannot manage it. It would accelerate Russ’ guaranteed money, becoming a cap hit of $82M in 2023, carrying another $68 into 2024. It’s also unclear who would want Wilson in a trade with his salary as high as it is.

The most likely and cost-effective solution is a post June 1 cut. It would result in a total two year cap hit of $65.4M — but at least it would move the team past this issue. They could then accept losing in 2023, suck into a high draft pick, and find a long-term QB then."

Barring something REALLY strange, I expect that RW will be better next year, but they way overspent no matter how you look at it. I would have never guess that he would be this horrible though.

Barring something REALLY strange, I expect that RW will be better next year, but they way overspent no matter how you look at it. I would have never guess that he would be this horrible though.
Either Wilson's agent is a genius or the Denver GM has lost the plot completely. Even if Rusell was at his peak and that was quite a while ago now, you would still be pushed to pay that much, at least the other 31 GMs probably would. The Browns will be hoping for a lot better with Watson and if they don't make the playoffs next season, questions will be asked. If Jimmy G moves on as expected then Shanahan will also be under huge pressure as well with Lance who by next season has barely touched the football in three seasons including his final year of college.

Wilson should get better but there is little sign of it at the moment.. I think the coach is probably gone which would be another financial hit for Denver.

Don't forget, the Walton family owns the Donkeys now. They have more than enough money to fire the entire coaching and admin staff, buy them out, and start over. Which I somewhat expect them to do. They didn't hire this current staff. Only the team president, who was hired after all the off-season trades, is likely to remain.

I agree that while Wilson will likely never be the player he was in 2017, it's inconceivable he plays this bad under a new system next year. Yes, he's dropped off. Yes, steal of the century for Seattle. But there's something grossly wrong, likely many things wrong, and there is no way they are just going to release him. Worst cap hit and dead money in NFL history if they did that.

Lance still does remain somewhat of an unknown. Ideally he will be the next Jalen Hurts for SF, right? But....who knows? I guess we'll find out next season. As I said before, even if Jimmy G wins the SB, he's gone. You don't give up what SF did to move up in the draft to get Lance to not give the offense to him at some point.

As to Watson, I believe with what they coughed up in both picks, and money, and what he and his agent promised in convincing Cleveland to pay him that much, not only would I expect him to win at least 4 of their last 6 games (tough games are Balt and Cincy), and look increasingly good, like a true impact player when the season is over. I also expect him to take the team to the playoffs, probably the division title, and beyond next year. Remember, he wasn't paid money to make them improve, he is paid Super Bowl MVP level money. The Browns have an excellent OL, good receivers, one of the best RBs and maybe the best RB tandem in the league (Hunt will be gone next year though). Their defense is good overall with some depth. They now have a fairly solid coaching staff that is on the same page, and an offensive and QB friendly coach. There's no rebuild from here on. It's, here's a lot of money Deshaun, now get it done, get us to the Super Bowl in a couple years, and win it, period.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS