• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 591 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wilson should get better but there is little sign of it at the moment.. I think the coach is probably gone which would be another financial hit for Denver.
Well...Hacket is still there. Lol. I don't think they'll fire him - I think he'll be given 2 yrs (which is fair: 2 yrs for pro coaches & 4 yrs for college coaches, IMO).

The Broncos should make a QB change - put Rypien in there & see if he can get the offense going. The Jets made a QB change benching Wilson for 5th rd draft pick Mike White & instant offensive improvement! And more importantly, the team is rallying behind White unlike the team turning against Wilson. The team is starting to get frustrated with Russ Wilson - did you see Purcell chew out Wilson on the sideline in the Carolina game? Lol

Rypien did play one game this year, against the Jets. He was not very effective. his QBR was slightly higher than Wilson. However, the Jets have a very good defense. So I have to admit you have a point! He can't play much worse than Wilson has, and maybe he could motivate teammates! If he stinks after a few games, well, now you have your answer on the guy. Just go back to losing with Russ.

I still think Hackett will be fired on black Monday. Same with George Paton. I imagine many people who followed them in the door, will also be shown the door. With new ownership that has plenty of money, someone is going to pay for this disaster of a season, and with Russ money counting against the cap and mostly guaranteed, cutting him would be harsh. However, as that article pointed out, if they cut him after June 1st (worst time to find a replacement as most FA QBs will be scooped up, and they have no top draft pick), IF they know by the end of the season they are cutting him June 1st, they could plan on moving ahead with Hackett, Paton, and Rypien (or Mayfield, Wentz, a QB drafted in round 6, etc.) after that. I just doubt this will happen.

John Elway is merely a consultant at this point, and will stay on that way. Easy money to show your face and get fans to buy tickets and swag.

Imagine if the Broncos actually cut Wilson on June 1st? They'd owe him something like $49m to not play, because no one will pick him up and pay him. Even then, would there be any frenzy at all to sign the guy when he's unrestricted? Maybe as a back-up for the Giants or Jets, as Ciara badly wants to live there?

Rypien did play one game this year, against the Jets. He was not very effective. his QBR was slightly higher than Wilson. However, the Jets have a very good defense. So I have to admit you have a point! He can't play much worse than Wilson has, and maybe he could motivate teammates! If he stinks after a few games, well, now you have your answer on the guy. Just go back to losing with Russ.

I still think Hackett will be fired on black Monday. Same with George Paton. I imagine many people who followed them in the door, will also be shown the door. With new ownership that has plenty of money, someone is going to pay for this disaster of a season, and with Russ money counting against the cap and mostly guaranteed, cutting him would be harsh. However, as that article pointed out, if they cut him after June 1st (worst time to find a replacement as most FA QBs will be scooped up, and they have no top draft pick), IF they know by the end of the season they are cutting him June 1st, they could plan on moving ahead with Hackett, Paton, and Rypien (or Mayfield, Wentz, a QB drafted in round 6, etc.) after that. I just doubt this will happen.

John Elway is merely a consultant at this point, and will stay on that way. Easy money to show your face and get fans to buy tickets and swag.

Imagine if the Broncos actually cut Wilson on June 1st? They'd owe him something like $49m to not play, because no one will pick him up and pay him. Even then, would there be any frenzy at all to sign the guy when he's unrestricted? Maybe as a back-up for the Giants or Jets, as Ciara badly wants to live there?
Seattle could get him back as a motivational coach.....
Gardner Minshew is still out there. Give him a shot with those receivers. At least they'd try to have some fun!
Yes.....I'd stlll like to see the 'Stash out there playing.

Minshew is actually the backup to Hurts in Philly. He actually played one series against Pittsburgh a month ago. I see no way the give him up. But he would be an improvement for Denver! The guy was never great, and doesn't have a huge arm, but he's a decent QB who's good at going through progressions quickly and finding the open guy. Something Wilson has been terrible at this year.

I did some number crunching, and if the Broncos cut bait, and simply released Wilson on June 1 next year, they would have paid him $107m, for one season (of playing really bad). A staggering number. It gets worse though. They would face a cap hit of dead money over $60m next season, and $40m the season after. That's what Wilson and his agent Mark Rogers (yes, one of the top $ dogs) got Denver to swallow.

Cutting Wilson then is maybe the BEST option. Cutting him sooner would be even worse. The other option is to hold onto him, and hope he gets better. This begs the question: even if he gets somewhat better, that still means he's not much better than Brett Rypian, let alone someone like Minshew. But you're paying him $45m a year, and then some, far more than anyone else on the team, as I noted earlier. Paying a QB 1/10th to 1/6th of your entire team's salary means you expect this QB to be one of the best in the league, and lead you deep into the playoffs. Does anyone see Wilson ever doing that at this point?

If the Broncos did cut Wilson, and ate all that cap money, they would probably play about the same as they are, maybe worse with so little FA money, and in 2024 could end up with a very high 1st round draft and then get a franchise QB for the future, one they could then afford.

Minshew is actually the backup to Hurts in Philly. He actually played one series against Pittsburgh a month ago. I see no way the give him up. But he would be an improvement for Denver! The guy was never great, and doesn't have a huge arm, but he's a decent QB who's good at going through progressions quickly and finding the open guy. Something Wilson has been terrible at this year.

I did some number crunching, and if the Broncos cut bait, and simply released Wilson on June 1 next year, they would have paid him $107m, for one season (of playing really bad). A staggering number. It gets worse though. They would face a cap hit of dead money over $60m next season, and $40m the season after. That's what Wilson and his agent Mark Rogers (yes, one of the top $ dogs) got Denver to swallow.

Cutting Wilson then is maybe the BEST option. Cutting him sooner would be even worse. The other option is to hold onto him, and hope he gets better. This begs the question: even if he gets somewhat better, that still means he's not much better than Brett Rypian, let alone someone like Minshew. But you're paying him $45m a year, and then some, far more than anyone else on the team, as I noted earlier. Paying a QB 1/10th to 1/6th of your entire team's salary means you expect this QB to be one of the best in the league, and lead you deep into the playoffs. Does anyone see Wilson ever doing that at this point?

If the Broncos did cut Wilson, and ate all that cap money, they would probably play about the same as they are, maybe worse with so little FA money, and in 2024 could end up with a very high 1st round draft and then get a franchise QB for the future, one they could then afford.
If Wilson was released, he would follow the coach and possibly the GM as well. What a debacle that would be for a team that expected to slot in a formerly elite QB for a short term improvement and a playoff run. You can be sure that their next coaching hire willl be a proven NFL coach.............

I would believe that as well. Since the Walton family has more than enough money to outbid any other team. Sean Payton? Leslie Frazier? Dan Quinn? I know this name might surprise some people, but I think Brian Flores is going to get interviewed by a few teams after this season. He did fairly well at Miami, much better than Adam Gase, and was railroaded out of town.

Bills defense looks stiff. Nearly all of the Pats offense has been on one play. Bills running better, which could be big as the season continues. But Josh Allen still seems a bit off on short passes in coverage, like Tony Romo said last week, about his injured elbow. But he's playing more consistant than he did again Detroit. That TD against the grain was something. As was the play called back, 60 yards in the air, off the back foot!

Interesting they put Von Miller on IR. There was talk he could play next week with a brace, but it looks like they will sit him for at least four games, and want him healthy at the end of the season and playoffs. An advantage the Bills have due to their depth.

Last edited:
I would believe that as well. Since the Walton family has more than enough money to outbid any other team. Sean Payton? Leslie Frazier? Dan Quinn? I know this name might surprise some people, but I think Brian Flores is going to get interviewed by a few teams after this season. He did fairly well at Miami, much better than Adam Gase, and was railroaded out of town.

Bills defense looks stiff. Nearly all of the Pats offense has been on one play. Bills running better, which could be big as the season continues. But Josh Allen still seems a bit off on short passes in coverage, like Tony Romo said last week, about his injured elbow. But he's playing more consistant than he did again Detroit. That TD against the grain was something. As was the play called back, 60 yards in the air, off the back foot!

Interesting they put Von Miller on IR. There was talk he could play next week with a brace, but it looks like they will sit him for at least four games, and want him healthy at the end of the season and playoffs. An advantage the Bills have due to their depth.
I watched the first quarter with the sound off and you're right about Allen's passing. Even that little flip pass close to the line of scrimmage had no follow-through. Haven't watched the game after with other stuff to do.

If Wilson was released, he would follow the coach and possibly the GM as well. What a debacle that would be for a team that expected to slot in a formerly elite QB for a short term improvement and a playoff run. You can be sure that their next coaching hire willl be a proven NFL coach.............
You can be sure that their next coaching hire willl be a proven NFL coach.............
oh, no you can't...

• Haha
Reactions: movingtarget

It’s also the coaches job to not teach or condone all of the penalties the team commits. Not even counting the drops or poor play calling and time management. They’re about to be in for a rough game on Monday.

Reactions: jmdirt
For those who didn't watch last night's game, the post-game when Allen came out and talked with the crew, especially Fitzpatrick, but also Tony G, was pretty awesome. What a great guy, just impossible to not like.

Watch interview on YouTube.

I'm not going to try to make any more predictions on Denver for now. The dumpster is burning, and will continue to long after I've walked away.
Its open season on Denver at the moment. The media are in a feeding frenzy. Every time you tune in to an NFL show, all you can hear are the words "worst trade ever!"

Well, I have to admit, from that perspective the Donkeys are the gift that keeps on giving. :oops:

Some thoughts on tomorrow's games:

MIA@SF - Here's your game of the week. If we look at the games the 49ers lost, or came close to losing, it was when their offense had to play catch-up, specifically the losses to KC and ATL, when the defense gave up too much, too quickly. Can Miami's explosive offense follow that pattern? Can Tua and Hill and their offense attack? They'll have to, or at least have a 4Q lead and be clicking late, if they want to win, in SF. But all the same. Jimmy G has been playing better than he did against Atl and KC. Even against the Saints he played a solid, mistake free game, took what they gave him, and had a 77.6 QBR.

KC@CIN - The Bengals are hard to predict. Against TEN they looked solid. The offense looked perfect against Pittsburgh, Carolina, Atlanta. But they also lost to Cleveland and looked flat. They have a much tougher schedule than KC, maybe anyone, coming up, and this is a must-win if the hope to take the division. Maybe a must win to an assure a playoff spot.

DEN@BAL - In a game the Ravens really need, while the Bronco dumpster burns, this game should simply add more napalm to the raging fire in Denver.

GB@CHI - Aaron Rodgers has "owned" the Bears for years (even Wikipedia said so!), but he's hurt, both teams are in trouble. The question is, can Rodgers still pile up yards against the Bears? Can the Packer defense stop Fields? If the Bears win, at home, this will be like winning the Super Bowl for them.

JAX@DET - Both of these teams are streaky, both playing well of late. I like Detroit in a high scoring game.

NYJ@MIN - All the talk about Mike White, but let's not forget, he played so well against an anemic Bears team, a team that had little film to study about him. This week he runs into a much better team, on the road. Could be a fairly low scoring affair though. The lower the better for the Jets.

LAC@LVR - Earlier in the season this was a game where the Raiders lead by 17, and still lost. I'm sure that will be on their mind, as they have been playing a little better. The problem is, the Chargers, especially Herbert, are playing better than they have all year, and the Raider secondary is weak.

WAS@NYG - The Commanders have been on a bit of a roll, while the Giants hot start has somewhat stalled, though they haven't looked bad. Playing at home will help.

TEN@PHI - I think this game will be closer than you may think, but I still think the Eagles are better. Cincy have now twice showed if you just clog the line and make sure 2+ guys go after Henry whenever he will probably touch the ball, the rest of the Titan offense can't beat you.

SEA@LA - The Rams are just what the Seahawks need to get back into the playoff race. I'm assuming Stafford and Donald are still out.

INDY@DAL - Why is this the flex game? I know this is decided 2+ weeks out, but even early in the season anyone could see that MIA@SF, or KC@CIN (rematch from last year's AFC Championship!) would have much more impact.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Absolutely love the design of the proposed new Buffalo Bills stadium. Outside. About a third of the crowd under cover. Essentially a triple loge. Fairly straight bowl which will help a bit with crowd noise (similar to Seattle, KC).

107141911-bills1.jpg

Well, I have to admit, from that perspective the Donkeys are the gift that keeps on giving. :oops:

Some thoughts on tomorrow's games:

MIA@SF - Here's your game of the week. If we look at the games the 49ers lost, or came close to losing, it was when their offense had to play catch-up, specifically the losses to KC and ATL, when the defense gave up too much, too quickly. Can Miami's explosive offense follow that pattern? Can Tua and Hill and their offense attack? They'll have to, or at least have a 4Q lead and be clicking late, if they want to win, in SF. But all the same. Jimmy G has been playing better than he did against Atl and KC. Even against the Saints he played a solid, mistake free game, took what they gave him, and had a 77.6 QBR.

KC@CIN - The Bengals are hard to predict. Against TEN they looked solid. The offense looked perfect against Pittsburgh, Carolina, Atlanta. But they also lost to Cleveland and looked flat. They have a much tougher schedule than KC, maybe anyone, coming up, and this is a must-win if the hope to take the division. Maybe a must win to an assure a playoff spot.

DEN@BAL - In a game the Ravens really need, while the Bronco dumpster burns, this game should simply add more napalm to the raging fire in Denver.

GB@CHI - Aaron Rodgers has "owned" the Bears for years (even Wikipedia said so!), but he's hurt, both teams are in trouble. The question is, can Rodgers still pile up yards against the Bears? Can the Packer defense stop Fields? If the Bears win, at home, this will be like winning the Super Bowl for them.

JAX@DET - Both of these teams are streaky, both playing well of late. I like Detroit in a high scoring game.

NYJ@MIN - All the talk about Mike White, but let's not forget, he played so well against an anemic Bears team, a team that had little film to study about him. This week he runs into a much better team, on the road. Could be a fairly low scoring affair though. The lower the better for the Jets.

LAC@LVR - Earlier in the season this was a game where the Raiders lead by 17, and still lost. I'm sure that will be on their mind, as they have been playing a little better. The problem is, the Chargers, especially Herbert, are playing better than they have all year, and the Raider secondary is weak.

WAS@NYG - The Commanders have been on a bit of a roll, while the Giants hot start has somewhat stalled, though they haven't looked bad. Playing at home will help.

TEN@PHI - I think this game will be closer than you may think, but I still think the Eagles are better. Cincy have now twice showed if you just clog the line and make sure 2+ guys go after Henry whenever he will probably touch the ball, the rest of the Titan offense can't beat you.

SEA@LA - The Rams are just what the Seahawks need to get back into the playoff race. I'm assuming Stafford and Donald are still out.

INDY@DAL - Why is this the flex game? I know this is decided 2+ weeks out, but even early in the season anyone could see that MIA@SF, or KC@CIN (rematch from last year's AFC Championship!) would have much more impact.
Hard to believe that only 20% of viewers will see the Miam/49ers game live. I thought that that game or the Kansas game would be the obvious replacements.

Hawks have to win the Rams game. Bad sign if they don't win that one. The Rams are a mess accross the board and haven't won a game for a month. Since then they have even more issues.

Bengals like the 49ers are tracking in the right direction. Think they will win.

Bears have improved offensively, too bad they traded away their best defenders. Think Chicago can win.

Jets and Vikings should be a close game.Think the Vikings win it..

Should be a lot of running in the Eagles game. Titans are unpredictable. Eagles to edge it.

Last edited:
Hard to believe that only 20% of viewers will see the Miam/49ers game live. I thought that that game or the Kansas game would be the obvious replacements.

Hawks have to win the Rams game. Bad sign if they don't win that one. The Rams are a mess accross the board and haven't won a game for a month. Since then they have even more issues.

Bengals like the 49ers are tracking in the right direction. Think they will win.

Bears have improved offensively, too bad they traded away their best defenders. Think Chicago can win.

Jets and Vikings should be a close game.Think the Vikings win it..

Should be a lot of running in the Eagles game. Titans are unpredictable. Eagles to edge it.
Seattle and LA have had dramatic games with SEA losing past games they should have won. Geno doesn't need to remember that, hopefully but the defense needs to show up to convince themselves to win this and upcoming games. Otherwise a lukewarm win against LA will just delay the inevitable.
Here's a thought: they Hawks win and trade a 2nd round pick for Bobby Wagner.

Seattle and LA have had dramatic games with SEA losing past games they should have won. Geno doesn't need to remember that, hopefully but the defense needs to show up to convince themselves to win this and upcoming games. Otherwise a lukewarm win against LA will just delay the inevitable.
Here's a thought: they Hawks win and trade a 2nd round pick for Bobby Wagner.
Yes normally the Rams are tough for the Hawks but they are decimated at the moment and will be without Kupp and Stafford, Robinson is gone for the season, Donald is out and their back up QBs are pretty bad, OBJ on IR, their O line is shredded, their run game is poor and so on but I agree about the defense. The Hawks were poor against the Raiders. letting Jacobs rack up that many yards must have had the defense coaches pulling their hair out plus the Rams have nothing to play for and won't be too motivated. I'd be surprised if the Rams won another game.

Reactions: jmdirt
Here's a thought: the Hawks win and trade a 2nd round pick for Bobby Wagner.
I don't possibly ever see this happening. The only way Wagner goes back to Seattle is a way Irvin did. Play a last year or two for something above the vet minimum, to contribute as the team moves forward.

As I suspected Mike White having a heck of a time with the Vikings. But he still looks better than Zach Wilson. Cousins really gritting it out. Much better player under O'Connel than he ever was under Zimmer.

That squish hit on Lamar Jackson by cooper was a crap play. But may be the Broncos best chance at winning. If Jackson is hurt for more than just this game, I have to wonder what that will essentially cost him, since he (and his agent) didn't sign the contract Baltimore offered as the season started.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS