• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 615 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

With Mahomes ankle on the mend, they will help tremendously vs Eagles and there defense. My only concern would be him reverting back to putting the ball in harms way out of habit due to his increased mobility. Besides the fumble, he played an excellent game against the Bengals ball security wise.
Be interested to see how the Eagles do with the Kansas run game which is a lot different to the conventional run game in the way they use the RBs generally in their offense. Even when the 49ers were getting trashed they could still run at least with CMC but without a QB it was hopeless not to mention the ridiculous amount of penalties the 49ers had.

Speculation has 3 possible free agent suitors for Geno: Tampa, Greenbay and the Jets.
Tampa is going to be an interesting one. They have an aging team and need a QB and some good draft picks. Not sure what their cap situation is like. Rodgers to Jets wouldn't surprise me but what would the Jets trade apart from future picks ? Rodgers to Vegas ? Not sure. 49ers won't happen as Rodgers himself has admitted. GB also have to decide what to do with Love. They should know by now whether he is starter material but the lack of actual game time is problematic. Do they try with Love for a season or go in another direction and give Rodgers two more seasons and move or cut Love. ?

Reactions: jmdirt
GB has Rodgers under contract. So if a team wants him, they have to give up something for him. Likely high draft picks, and a few of them. Rodgers contract is somewhat friendly in 2023, then heavily back loaded, 2025 and 2026 are like $50m plus a year.

Rodgers and Adams strongly hinting that Rodgers will go to the Raiders, with Rodgers already buying a home in Vegas. As I said before, this would be like a Russell Wilson albatross if the Raiders traded for him. Far worse than if they had signed Brady. Adams says he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, but win now. Well, Rodgers won't make that happen on that team, not with that defense. It would be a total disaster. But Mark Davis has a long history of illogical moves, so it's quite possible.

I can't see GB trading Rodgers to get Derek Carr. That's absurd. Just ridiculous. GB is either keeping Rodgers, or dumping him to a team foolish to eat his contract, and going with Love.

I see Carr ending up in NO, Tennessee, or maybe Washington. Not New York, not Atlanta. Not sure if the Jets have enough to trade to GB to get Rodgers, but they have said they want him, and are equally capable of blowing their future as the Raiders with a long history of terrible decisions by ownership at the worst time.

Notice how teams like Pittsburgh, New England, KC, Seattle, don't make knee-jerk, reactionary moves like this? Yet, they put forth a good team almost every single year. Competitive, Super Bowl appearances.

GB has Rodgers under contract. So if a team wants him, they have to give up something for him. Likely high draft picks, and a few of them. Rodgers contract is somewhat friendly in 2023, then heavily back loaded, 2025 and 2026 are like $50m plus a year.

Rodgers and Adams strongly hinting that Rodgers will go to the Raiders, with Rodgers already buying a home in Vegas. As I said before, this would be like a Russell Wilson albatross if the Raiders traded for him. Far worse than if they had signed Brady. Adams says he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, but win now. Well, Rodgers won't make that happen on that team, not with that defense. It would be a total disaster. But Mark Davis has a long history of illogical moves, so it's quite possible.

I can't see GB trading Rodgers to get Derek Carr. That's absurd. Just ridiculous. GB is either keeping Rodgers, or dumping him to a team foolish to eat his contract, and going with Love.

I see Carr ending up in NO, Tennessee, or maybe Washington. Not New York, not Atlanta. Not sure if the Jets have enough to trade to GB to get Rodgers, but they have said they want him, and are equally capable of blowing their future as the Raiders with a long history of terrible decisions by ownership at the worst time.

Notice how teams like Pittsburgh, New England, KC, Seattle, don't make knee-jerk, reactionary moves like this? Yet, they put forth a good team almost every single year. Competitive, Super Bowl appearances.
No one mentioning the Saints much as a destination for a QB. They have a good defense which is something but the offense certainly needs some additions. I think Rodgers to the Raiders would be a stretch.If the Cowboys were daring which they aren't not Jerry anyway, they would trade Dak and some picks for Rodgers but of course it will never happen. Just don't see Dak getting to the SB let alone winning one. Dak isn't a top five QB while other teams like the 49ers don't have the gun QB either, they still have a better roster overall.

While I can appreciate her analysis, that is too much for me. If I view the game buried in that much data and that many parameters, I wouldn't enjoy it. There is so (too) much data already, and to put it into Cyn's model just blows it up IMO.
I wonder if some football/ money ball formula would even have Geno Smith still in the league? From what I saw and thought of him,he had to brush cat litter off his head and face to put on a football helmet... Man did he prove me wrong!! and provided a half dozen awesome football games.. regardless of what " data" says happened!!
" Data" probably predicted that Brock Purdy would have bought his own Gatorade in 2024 or would be in Canada or arena football

I wonder if some football/ money ball formula would even have Geno Smith still in the league? From what I saw and thought of him,he had to brush cat litter off his head and face to put on a football helmet... Man did he prove me wrong!! and provided a half dozen awesome football games.. regardless of what " data" says happened!!
" Data" probably predicted that Brock Purdy would have bought his own Gatorade in 2024 or would be in Canada or arena football
Geno was tilting in the Josh Johnson direction but planets aligned and he's finally going to get his just rewards while poor Josh has played 7 or so NFL games while on three quarters of the teams in the league in his mid 30's ......... Josh Rosen watching closely............maybe not..........Josh Allen broke the Josh mould it seems.......

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
If data were all that mattered Timmy Chang would have gone #1 OA.

The only player not named Aaron Rodgers who will QB the Packers next year is Jordan Love. In fact, I'd be real surprised if the Packers aren't trying to unload Aaron right now. Get some draft picks, get out of his bloated contract, see if Love has it. Shorter rebuild window. Both the Jets and Raiders have shown a long history of very poor decision making, so I can see either team getting him. Makes more sense on NY as they are closer to winning. But the Raiders make more sense if you don't think with logic, but emotion: He gets to throw the ball to his friend Davonte again, gets to be coached by an offense/QB friendly coach in McDaniels, etc. Rodgers even said while golfing today that Raiders fans want him and he'd love to go there! (Blind or gullible fans that is).

Geno said at the Pro Bowl Games he is very confident he'll stay in Seattle. I am too.

Flag football Pro Bowl games are here to stay. Way better than I think anyone expected, much better than the last several Pro Bowls. Also get to see just how insanely accurate QBs are at reading the field and throwing, and players still showed a lot of athleticism.
I will split the difference with you.. The flag football should be played in Hawaii, w Island themed uniforms..

If data were all that mattered Timmy Chang would have gone #1 OA.

The only player not named Aaron Rodgers who will QB the Packers next year is Jordan Love. In fact, I'd be real surprised if the Packers aren't trying to unload Aaron right now. Get some draft picks, get out of his bloated contract, see if Love has it. Shorter rebuild window. Both the Jets and Raiders have shown a long history of very poor decision making, so I can see either team getting him. Makes more sense on NY as they are closer to winning. But the Raiders make more sense if you don't think with logic, but emotion: He gets to throw the ball to his friend Davonte again, gets to be coached by an offense/QB friendly coach in McDaniels, etc. Rodgers even said while golfing today that Raiders fans want him and he'd love to go there! (Blind or gullible fans that is).

Geno said at the Pro Bowl Games he is very confident he'll stay in Seattle. I am too.
There was a headline on flipboard that ERodg just bought a house in Clark county NV. I didn't read the story because I don't care enough, I'll just wait until he announces it on "poor me TV".

EDIT: a guy here at work made good point: every year for the last four or five years ER has ended the season by implying that it could be his last. Even though he is just doing that to stir attention IMO, teams might look at that and say "do we want to sign him if retirement is always on his mind?"

EDIT 2: It sounds like Davante Adams is the one who got the www buzzing about ER buying a house in NV by saying that ER is moving to his neighborhood (or something like that).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
There was a headline on flipboard that ERodg just bought a house in Clark county NV. I didn't read the story because I don't care enough, I'll just wait until he announces it on "poor me TV".

EDIT: a guy here at work made good point: every year for the last four or five years ER has ended the season by implying that it could be his last. Even though he is just doing that to stir attention IMO, teams might look at that and say "do we want to sign him if retirement is always on his mind?"

EDIT 2: It sounds like Davante Adams is the one who got the www buzzing about ER buying a house in NV by saying that ER is moving to his neighborhood (or something like that).
I would guess every GB player has a sunny getaway. No offense to Wisconsin but it's colder there than where we live.

So Sean Payton is reportedly not going to allow Russell's "performance" entourage to live in the Denver management space. Good move and hope it gets Wilson back to a team plan instead of his own grand plan.
Another idea that might work: bring in a consultant named Drew Brees in to remind Wilson that you can't blame others. Also: shut up and listen to coach 'cause you can't hear with your "positive-message" mouth making other noises.

So Sean Payton is reportedly not going to allow Russell's "performance" entourage to live in the Denver management space. Good move and hope it gets Wilson back to a team plan instead of his own grand plan.
Another idea that might work: bring in a consultant named Drew Brees in to remind Wilson that you can't blame others. Also: shut up and listen to coach 'cause you can't hear with your "positive-message" mouth making other noises.
Sean is going to earn those big bucks.......

And another thing.. I was up in the middle of the night.. or the middle of the night according to me.. Was watching a show that was hype for the Superbowl.. highlights continually of both teams.. Some great stuff of both quarterbacks.. and then it happened.. an over @10 minute infomercial from Draft Kings.. and it was very detailed.. " let's say you place a bet on Kansas City to win by 11and you are not done, you want to make another bet..." and it had a male and female spokesperson and they were explaining how to establish accounts, how if football is not your thing, they have a boatload of other stuff to bet on..
In a world where conspiracy theories grow faster than the weeds in my yard..when gambling sites are mainstream advertisements during NFL games..
It's only a matter of time when a silly,stupid, out of bounds hit on a QB sets up the winning field goal sending one team to the Super Bowl and the other into the toilet.. How long until someone says it was done for side money..
Don't know if Doritos, Budweiser, Coors,Dominos, Farmers Insurance are just too boring.. but I have a real uneasy feeling that something got out of the bottle and we should try to get it back in..

And another thing.. I was up in the middle of the night.. or the middle of the night according to me.. Was watching a show that was hype for the Superbowl.. highlights continually of both teams.. Some great stuff of both quarterbacks.. and then it happened.. an over @10 minute infomercial from Draft Kings.. and it was very detailed.. " let's say you place a bet on Kansas City to win by 11and you are not done, you want to make another bet..." and it had a male and female spokesperson and they were explaining how to establish accounts, how if football is not your thing, they have a boatload of other stuff to bet on..
In a world where conspiracy theories grow faster than the weeds in my yard..when gambling sites are mainstream advertisements during NFL games..
It's only a matter of time when a silly,stupid, out of bounds hit on a QB sets up the winning field goal sending one team to the Super Bowl and the other into the toilet.. How long until someone says it was done for side money..
Don't know if Doritos, Budweiser, Coors,Dominos, Farmers Insurance are just too boring.. but I have a real uneasy feeling that something got out of the bottle and we should try to get it back in..
Never heard of a poor bookmaker.........a bit like a surgeon that doesn't drive a luxury car...........in the old days before gambling companies, the police knew they were on to a good thing and always showed up for their cut from bookmakers, the off course ones ............

I've had my own take on how gambling revenue would impact sports in general and NFL dynamics specifically. It will bring more money to owners, the league and some to the players who now face more games per year. Would there be a temptation for players, officials, coaches...even owners to cheat? They already do for no additional money so, of course it will happen.

TRENDING THREADS