• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 632 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Now that Chauncy Garder-Johnson has signed with Detroit (meaning the Eagles lost both starting safeties), Greg Rosenthal of NFL.com, who I don't dislike, but often disagree with, has OBJ as his top free agent left unsigned. Above Bobby Wagner, Dalton Schultz, and others.

I believe what OBJ said was "4 ain't enough". I think his problem is he still sees himself as the guy who was lights out for the Giants...in 2016. But he's had so many injuries since, and only finished one single season, in 2019 for Cleveland - where he complained because he didn't play enough. He's also shown, I'm going to call them "behavioral" issues. Is that all worth $14m a year?
Surprised that Schultz hasn't been picked up yet. OBJ not so much. Good pick up for Detroit with the safety.

Mar 20, 2023
Visit site

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-releasing-pro-blog-cb-darius-slay-after-three-seasons
There is no truth to the rumor that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are signing former Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield to a one-year deal. The Bucs have made no public comments about potentially signing the former No. 1 overall draft pick.

Detroit may be more than just a danger next season. I see them taking the division, if they stay healthy. The Vikings lucked out in a number of games. They were not as good as their record.
Both teams could possibly make the playoffs and both have taken steps to fix their defense. NFC East had three teams in the playoffs and the NFC West has also done that in the past but the NFC West has taken a dive with the Cards and Rams in disarray at the moment.

Reactions: jmdirt and Nomad
There is no truth to the rumor that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are signing former Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield to a one-year deal. The Bucs have made no public comments about potentially signing the former No. 1 overall draft pick.
GM Jason Licht made the announcement last Thursday (031623):

You can also check the current TB free agency/CAP list:

Detroit may be more than just a danger next season. I see them taking the division, if they stay healthy. The Vikings lucked out in a number of games. They were not as good as their record.
There is no such thing in the NFL. Going 9-8 instead of 8-9 OK, but 13-4 doesn't happen unless a team is solid. That being said, DET got better as '22 went along, and now they are adding good pieces so they could be a 12+ win team this year.

Reactions: veganrob
"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent quarterback Baker Mayfield. Mayfield will be made available to the media on Monday, March 20 at the AdventHealth Training Center at approximately 1:00 p.m. ET."

“Baker is a tough competitor who plays with the kind of passion and confidence that you look for in a quarterback,” said Buccaneers General ManagerJason Licht. “He’s a young veteran with good upside who should thrive in our new offensive system with receivers like Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Russell Gage. He had an impressive 2020 season when he led the Browns to their playoff appearance and did some good things during his brief stint with the Rams at the end of last season. I know from speaking with him that he is excited to come in and compete for the starting job.”

Reactions: dani_balea
"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have agreed to terms with unrestricted free agent quarterback Baker Mayfield. Mayfield will be made available to the media on Monday, March 20 at the AdventHealth Training Center at approximately 1:00 p.m. ET."

“Baker is a tough competitor who plays with the kind of passion and confidence that you look for in a quarterback,” said Buccaneers General ManagerJason Licht. “He’s a young veteran with good upside who should thrive in our new offensive system with receivers like Mike Evans, Chris Godwin and Russell Gage. He had an impressive 2020 season when he led the Browns to their playoff appearance and did some good things during his brief stint with the Rams at the end of last season. I know from speaking with him that he is excited to come in and compete for the starting job.”
He got what he wanted..........a reaction...........

• Haha
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Mayfield has obviously signed. Easy to verify. That is kind of odd. There's like eight of us that perhaps post on a regular basis, and every so often we get someone drifting over from the cycling section, which is cool, but that's about it!

I have to admit I miss some people who used to post here. Merckx Index, on3m@n@amy, Tore Bear, The Hitch. A few more I'm sorry to say I'm forgetting.

I believe the Vikings were 11-1 in one score games last year. I'm not going to call it luck either, but considering how they were easily beaten by the Eagles, Cowboys, and Packers, and didn't come close to winning their home playoff game against the Giants, I think it's fair to say they were a little lucky, and more like a 11-6 team, which still would have won the division.

Raiders were 4-9 in one score games. As a fan I watched them all, and in all honesty they probably should have gone 8-9, maybe 9-8, instead of 6-11. That's about it. They were a little unlucky. But bad play, a weak defense, and mistakes really did them in.

As the old saying goes, winners make their own luck.

Mayfield has obviously signed. Easy to verify. That is kind of odd. There's like eight of us that perhaps post on a regular basis, and every so often we get someone drifting over from the cycling section, which is cool, but that's about it!

I have to admit I miss some people who used to post here. Merckx Index, on3m@n@amy, Tore Bear, The Hitch. A few more I'm sorry to say I'm forgetting.

I believe the Vikings were 11-1 in one score games last year. I'm not going to call it luck either, but considering how they were easily beaten by the Eagles, Cowboys, and Packers, and didn't come close to winning their home playoff game against the Giants, I think it's fair to say they were a little lucky, and more like a 11-6 team, which still would have won the division.

Raiders were 4-9 in one score games. As a fan I watched them all, and in all honesty they probably should have gone 8-9, maybe 9-8, instead of 6-11. That's about it. They were a little unlucky. But bad play, a weak defense, and mistakes really did them in.

Caution: I'm going off topic here: I fear the worst for Merckx because he was posting multiple times per day while he was recovering from an accident (and was stranded in another country), and then he just disappeared. I PMed him several times...

There definitely used to be a few more in the NFL thread, but the only one who I know got banned was thehitch, not sure about the others. Foxxy started this thread, and was entertaining before going full caustic (not sure if they got banned or just went away).

NFL:

SEA signed Love (S) so Adams definitely isn't on schedule to play in 2023 (repeat of my Friday post).

Reactions: movingtarget
Caution: I'm going off topic here: I fear the worst for Merckx because he was posting multiple times per day while he was recovering from an accident (and was stranded in another country), and then he just disappeared. I PMed him several times...
I think he was living in the Philippines? And wasn't he involved in a bad cycling accident? I do remember him posting numerous times a day on a wide variety of threads. The guy was very knowledgeable on many sports including the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc (wasn't he a 49er fan?). I remember getting into an intense debate with him on the subject of SB winning MVP QBs having an easy path to the HOF. Lol. He was an Icon here.

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget

I think a few of those don't post on the website anymore. I noticed a lot have disappeared from the cycling threads. The race threads are nowhere near as busy now. Some of the more colorful ones got perma banned I think.

Baker said all of the right things in his presser, IMO. Let OTAs begin!
Of course, his agent instructed him to say all the right things. But don't you think it's going to be very difficult for the fans to go from Tom Brady - who in 3 seasons with the Bucs was 32-18, 5-2 in the playoffs & SB title to a #1 OA bust who's with his 3rd team in less than year? Lol.

Cam may find himself better suited to the XFL at this point. AJ McCarron said he'd rather play in the XFL than sit on a bench in the NFL, even with the pay being far less. AJ has been pretty good for St. Louis, who had a big crowd this past weekend (while the StL City MLS team was playing across town). I fully expect to see Carson Wentz in the XFL (or USFL) soon enough.

I think when Baker got benched in Carolina, then cut, with Steve Wilkes no-nonsense style, and got to LA he must have thought "oh s*it. I better get my rear in gear". Dude ate a lot of humble pie. Having said all that, I remain skeptical that he's going to do a lot in Tampa. He certainly is on the cusp of bust status. I'm all but certain Tampa is thinking of him as a bridge, much more than JG in Vegas, until they can find their QB for the future, quite possibly in the 2024 draft.

Speaking of, next year's draft looks so promising, apparently teams scouts and GMs are all but overlooking this year's draft, planning for next season, which seems more loaded with QBs.

In non-NFL news, I do believe MI was living overseas. I know he was retired and from the bay area, but you are right, he was posting a slew there for a while, cycling, other sports, lots to say about Covid. Smart guy. I hope he's okay, but I have fears too. I know some people left, others were banned. I'm all but certain Foxxy was perma-banned. He knew football, but he and Trey (can't remember that guy's screen name, the attorney) were very caustic and basically got each other banned, and I don't think many people missed either of them! I seem to recall on3m@n@rmy was much more into college, small college and high school, than the NFL, but I do miss his thoughts. All water under the bridge at this point I suppose.

Demeco Ryans will have a better roster to work with at the Texans than the previous coach. They have made some nice signings in free agency..

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Cooks to DAL. Maybe this is good? His production doesn't seem to fit the price, but maybe he will be better in DAL?
Cooks is very helpful to the offense with his speed, he just struggles with contested catches. If Dak plays like he did against Tampa, it will be a killer combo and the team shouldn’t be focused on one receiver. Cowboys will go as far as Dak can take them and McCarthy can draw up the plays. Both have been doing a lot of talking, and it’s their last chance to collect.

I wonder how long the Jets will drag out the trade with Packers for Rodgers. They hold all of the cards and rightfully shouldn’t give up so much when both player and team have said they’re done with the other. Jets are also helping them with taking Rodgers contract on instead of Packers taking the hit. If I were them I’d give up a third and fourth with a fifth next year. Keep the first and second to draft an olineman and patch up where they need too.

If The Rodgers deal doesn't get done, all three parties will look like fools. GB were probably hoping for a Seattle, Texans type of windfall but those other two players were not 39 years of age. Don't blame GB for trying to milk it after putting up with Rodgers games for so long and I don't blame the Jets for not just keeling over and giving them everything they are demanding. I'm sure Rodgers believed this would be a much quicker negotiation but that's just his ego. Who blinks first ? GB want Rodgers gone and the Jets need a QB that can make them better ! Looking at the current QB market, the odds are that GB will win this negotiation but if Love doesn't turn out, they also will be in a pickle without a competitive QB.

TRENDING THREADS