• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 633 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If The Rodgers deal doesn't get done, all three parties will look like fools. GB were probably hoping for a Seattle, Texans type of windfall but those other two players were not 39 years of age. Don't blame GB for trying to milk it after putting up with Rodgers games for so long and I don't blame the Jets for not just keeling over and giving them everything they are demanding. I'm sure Rodgers believed this would be a much quicker negotiation but that's just his ego. Who blinks first ? GB want Rodgers gone and the Jets need a QB that can make them better ! Looking at the current QB market, the odds are that GB will win this negotiation but if Love doesn't turn out, they also will be in a pickle without a competitive QB.
GB's already in the QB pickle jar. Sulky Star doesn't make anyone confident and the future is unknown. Best to cut bait with the best deal you can. That said, no team wants to re-imitate the Denver deal. Even GB management would lose their heads.

That's cool about Magic Johnson. I know he's a BB guy, but I think he would make a fantastic owner in the NFL. That guy could motivate just about anyone no matter how down they are, just an infectious positive personality, and one of the most well-liked people on the planet. Basically the exact opposite of Daniel Snyder. :sweatsmile:

Keep in mind though, Green Bay has plenty of leverage, as Rodgers contract doesn't go into effect until early September. So, if the Jets only want to offer low round picks, the Packers can just sit on the deal and wait. But at some point the Jets are going to have to call them out, first directly, then if that doesn't get the Packers to budge, then publically.

Worst case scenario for the Packers is Rodgers remains on the team. Worst case scenario for the Jets is Zach Wilson is their starting QB next season...after the team went out and signed Lazard, and are all-in for the next year or two. Well, the Jets could offer Lamar Jackson a 4-year $200m deal, and if Baltimore doesn't bite, they'll lose 2 first round picks getting him. My suspicion is if someone offers a lower end contract, the Ravens will just match it. Myles Simmons says Lamar isn't actually looking for a fully guaranteed contract. Mostly he was wanting a 4-year deal with a lot of it guaranteed, with the Ravens offering 3...for now.

CJ Stroud scored an A+ on his Pro Day. His throwing style is so fluid, nearly all passes he threw were effortless, precise. Very impressive. Here's a link if you want a look. Bryce Young / Alabama's Pro Day is today.

Reactions: jmdirt
That's cool about Magic Johnson. I know he's a BB guy, but I think he would make a fantastic owner in the NFL. That guy could motivate just about anyone no matter how down they are, just an infectious positive personality, and one of the most well-liked people on the planet. Basically the exact opposite of Daniel Snyder. :sweatsmile:

Keep in mind though, Green Bay has plenty of leverage, as Rodgers contract doesn't go into effect until early September. So, if the Jets only want to offer low round picks, the Packers can just sit on the deal and wait. But at some point the Jets are going to have to call them out, first directly, then if that doesn't get the Packers to budge, then publically.

Worst case scenario for the Packers is Rodgers remains on the team. Worst case scenario for the Jets is Zach Wilson is their starting QB next season...after the team went out and signed Lazard, and are all-in for the next year or two. Well, the Jets could offer Lamar Jackson a 4-year $200m deal, and if Baltimore doesn't bite, they'll lose 2 first round picks getting him. My suspicion is if someone offers a lower end contract, the Ravens will just match it. Myles Simmons says Lamar isn't actually looking for a fully guaranteed contract. Mostly he was wanting a 4-year deal with a lot of it guaranteed, with the Ravens offering 3...for now.

CJ Stroud scored an A+ on his Pro Day. His throwing style is so fluid, nearly all passes he threw were effortless, precise. Very impressive. Here's a link if you want a look. Bryce Young / Alabama's Pro Day is today.
Three years fully guaranteed at 45 mill per season sounded like a great deal to me for someone who can't stay on the field of late. The Jets will have to cave at some point or probably miss the playoffs again but then GB also missed the playoffs with Rodgers...........I doubt that the Jets will trade up in the draft for a QB after the Wilson pick ! You just knew that the Rodgers trade wouldn't be straightforward and the Jets passed on Carr and Jimmy G who are probably not much worse than Rodgers at the moment anyway. If jimmy G does well at Vegas the Jets will be kicking themselves when they could have had him for under 25 mill with only 40 mill guaranteed over three seasons. They will probably have to give GB what they want or the fans and media will crucify them.

I saw a few of his throws yesterday...precise and strong.

I thought you weren't that impressed with him when you went back & looked at film concluding that he was overrated playing behind an all-star OL & receivers? Lol.

I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on these "Pro Days" which are merely exhibitions for the QBs to show off their arm talent. It means nothing until they face an NFL pass rush & DBs.

The scouts were in shock & awe at Zach Wilson's Pro Day. So much so that Wilson moved up from a projected 4th OA to the #2 OA. And if it wasn't for Lawrence being such a hot commodity (the next "Peyton Manning"), Wilson would have easily been thee 2021 #1 OA pick. And now we've seen what a disaster Wilson has been so far at the Jets:

Wilson in just 2 seasons (22 games started) is 8-14, has thrown only 15 TDs against 18 picks & has a dead last passer rating of 70.9. So pathetic is Wilson that the Jets are begging a washed-up, way past his prime, declining Rodgers to sign with them so they don't have to face another dreaded season with Wilson.

(P.S. - was that Pete Carroll on the sidelines watching Stroud at his Pro-Day?).

Bryce Young completed his pro day. I only saw a couple clips on Twitter, and since I hate Twitter, I didn't keep digging around. Looked good. Pinpoint throws while he was moving his feet a lot. One odd thing though, he threw in the 'Bama practice facility which has a low ceiling, and two of his passes hit it. What happened to the days when these were held outside? I remember Andrew Luck's pro day was outside at Stanford, in the wind.

Three years fully guaranteed at 45 mill per season sounded like a great deal to me for someone who can't stay on the field of late... Jets passed on Carr and Jimmy G... They will probably have to give GB what they want or the fans and media will crucify them.
There's dispute if the contract truly was fully guaranteed, but it was likely close. As noted, apparently Lamar isn't hung up on fully guaranteed.

Peter King both talked about and wrote about Lamar, with Myles Simmons. The biggest conclusion they made was that most QBs that excel during their rookie contract (this obviously includes Lamar) negotiate after the 3rd year. Some negotiate after year 4, wiping the 5th year option before either have to seriously think about it. I can't help but think if Lamar had an agent (and he tweeted something to that effect) he wouldn't be in the situation he is in. Not having an agent, especially a younger player, can be a huge mistake. Remember Russell Okung's first contract with Denver? He signed a deal that was so team friendly if he were to get hurt or played poorly or were just benched he would have lost millions of dollars. He wised up on his 2nd, and 3rd contracts. But he was a lot more experienced than Lamar. I believe Richard Sherman also said something akin to veterans don't need agents. Keep in mind Sherman went to Stanford University.

Jets more so passed on Carr. They had him in the building, and he liked what they had to say. But the Saints took him seriously while the Jets were aiming for Rodgers all along. Agree though, all the Jets had to do was just sign DC or JG and this would have been over with.

Agree on Jets media and fanbase. This is also sort of why they need to put some New York pressure on those Midwest small-town Green Bay folks. Call it what it is. "He's older, his contract is huge, we're not giving you a 1st round pick in return, certainly not this year. We both know that. What's the damned holdup?"
I thought you weren't that impressed with him when you went back & looked at film concluding that he was overrated playing behind an all-star OL & receivers? Lol.
I still have the same concerns I had before, how will he perform under NFL pressure? The biggest concern I had both watching him, and what stats I could crunch, was his numbers dropped dramatically under pressure. But I really like his attitude a lot, and it seems to me like he is eager to learn, grow and takes nothing for granted. QBs we've seen who come into the league overconfident often show moments of physical talent, but don't pan out well (Baker Mayfield anyone? Kyler Murray seems on his way) or if they do, it's too late by the time they realize it. Brady Quinn comes to mind here. This can also lead to players not learning enough when they get to the NFL. We can create a huge list of guys here. But the opposite is Patrick Mahomes, who Andy Reid said was the best student. This is on top of the incredible talent the guy already has.
I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on these "Pro Days" which are merely exhibitions for the QBs to show off their arm talent. It means nothing until they face an NFL pass rush & DBs.
Agree completely with you there. And I'll still stand to some degree what I said about CJ and pressure. The rest of him though looks great so far. Blake Bortles had an impressive pro day. I remember barely knowing who he was, then all of a sudden he's taken 3rd overall. How'd that turn out? Remember Johnny Manzeil's pro day? Wore shoulder pads and a helmet, made great throws wowing people. Brandon Weeden had both a great combine and pro day.
Wilson in just 2 seasons (22 games started) is 8-14, has thrown only 15 TDs against 18 picks & has a dead last passer rating of 70.9. So pathetic is Wilson that the Jets are begging a washed-up, way past his prime, declining Rodgers to sign with them so they don't have to face another dreaded season with Wilson.
Good post. And this was after the Jets won a few games early in the season bailing him out. Wilson looks like a worse version of Mayfield so far. His only hope is that Rodgers comes in and gets him a ring. Maybe 3, 5 years down the line he can be the next Geno Smith if he gets on the right team. But I don't know anyone ever really thought Zach has the level of talent Geno does.

Some numbers crunched on Odell Beckham, and why $4m a year may be generous. In the last 5 years he's only made it through one season. Two knee surgeries, and other injuries along the way. In the last 3 years (he missed all of 2022 obviously) he's caught only 111 catches for 1,183 yards, total. His yards per catch, and after catch, when on LA were the lowest of his career (never doubled teamed, because of Cooper Kupp). His catch % has dropped to just above 50%. It was 70% in his rookie year. Whomever is looking to take him is looking at a guy who might catch around 50 balls, while not making huge yardage after the catch. This is IF he stays healthy. Just for comparison, that's names like George Pickens, Greg Dortch, Kalif Raymond...

Bryce Young completed his pro day. I only saw a couple clips on Twitter, and since I hate Twitter, I didn't keep digging around. Looked good. Pinpoint throws while he was moving his feet a lot. One odd thing though, he threw in the 'Bama practice facility which has a low ceiling, and two of his passes hit it. What happened to the days when these were held outside? I remember Andrew Luck's pro day was outside at Stanford, in the wind.

There's dispute if the contract truly was fully guaranteed, but it was likely close. As noted, apparently Lamar isn't hung up on fully guaranteed.

Peter King both talked about and wrote about Lamar, with Myles Simmons. The biggest conclusion they made was that most QBs that excel during their rookie contract (this obviously includes Lamar) negotiate after the 3rd year. Some negotiate after year 4, wiping the 5th year option before either have to seriously think about it. I can't help but think if Lamar had an agent (and he tweeted something to that effect) he wouldn't be in the situation he is in. Not having an agent, especially a younger player, can be a huge mistake. Remember Russell Okung's first contract with Denver? He signed a deal that was so team friendly if he were to get hurt or played poorly or were just benched he would have lost millions of dollars. He wised up on his 2nd, and 3rd contracts. But he was a lot more experienced than Lamar. I believe Richard Sherman also said something akin to veterans don't need agents. Keep in mind Sherman went to Stanford University.

Jets more so passed on Carr. They had him in the building, and he liked what they had to say. But the Saints took him seriously while the Jets were aiming for Rodgers all along. Agree though, all the Jets had to do was just sign DC or JG and this would have been over with.

Agree on Jets media and fanbase. This is also sort of why they need to put some New York pressure on those Midwest small-town Green Bay folks. Call it what it is. "He's older, his contract is huge, we're not giving you a 1st round pick in return, certainly not this year. We both know that. What's the damned holdup?"

I still have the same concerns I had before, how will he perform under NFL pressure? The biggest concern I had both watching him, and what stats I could crunch, was his numbers dropped dramatically under pressure. But I really like his attitude a lot, and it seems to me like he is eager to learn, grow and takes nothing for granted. QBs we've seen who come into the league overconfident often show moments of physical talent, but don't pan out well (Baker Mayfield anyone? Kyler Murray seems on his way) or if they do, it's too late by the time they realize it. Brady Quinn comes to mind here. This can also lead to players not learning enough when they get to the NFL. We can create a huge list of guys here. But the opposite is Patrick Mahomes, who Andy Reid said was the best student. This is on top of the incredible talent the guy already has.

Agree completely with you there. And I'll still stand to some degree what I said about CJ and pressure. The rest of him though looks great so far. Blake Bortles had an impressive pro day. I remember barely knowing who he was, then all of a sudden he's taken 3rd overall. How'd that turn out? Remember Johnny Manzeil's pro day? Wore shoulder pads and a helmet, made great throws wowing people. Brandon Weeden had both a great combine and pro day.

Good post. And this was after the Jets won a few games early in the season bailing him out. Wilson looks like a worse version of Mayfield so far. His only hope is that Rodgers comes in and gets him a ring. Maybe 3, 5 years down the line he can be the next Geno Smith if he gets on the right team. But I don't know anyone ever really thought Zach has the level of talent Geno does.

Some numbers crunched on Odell Beckham, and why $4m a year may be generous. In the last 5 years he's only made it through one season. Two knee surgeries, and other injuries along the way. In the last 3 years (he missed all of 2022 obviously) he's caught only 111 catches for 1,183 yards, total. His yards per catch, and after catch, when on LA were the lowest of his career (never doubled teamed, because of Cooper Kupp). His catch % has dropped to just above 50%. It was 70% in his rookie year. Whomever is looking to take him is looking at a guy who might catch around 50 balls, while not making huge yardage after the catch. This is IF he stays healthy. Just for comparison, that's names like George Pickens, Greg Dortch, Kalif Raymond...
Don't think Odell gets anywhere near the contract he wants this time even though he said reports of him wanting 15-20 were misinformed. but he knocked back 4. I'm surprised he wants to come back at all after getting a SB win and coming off another serious injury..

Don't know if Wilson can turn it around maybe with the right coach and QB coach.

The Rodgers I saw last season had definitely dropped away knowing that he won the MVP for two of the previous three years.

Going to be an interesting season coming up with so many QBs on the move and Brady finally gone. Cousins will be next but I expect him to stay with the Vikings while they look for a younger replacement in the draft. He's also played under a tag before and he might again.

Some people swore that Manziel was going to be great after his college career. I just wonder how seriously he ever took it. Seriously enough to try the XFL I guess.

If The Ravens lose Lamar they are edging closer to a rebuild and have already moved on from the long term OC.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Will Levis had his Pro Day. Showed off his arm strength more than anything.

Just for clarity, Manziel never made it to the XFL. He played some for the AAF until it folded. And in 2020, no XFL team was interested in him. He has since played in the Fan Football League, which is sort of like Arena football where fans vote for stuff.

Will Levis had his Pro Day. Showed off his arm strength more than anything.
No fooling - this kid has got a rocket! His velocity was clocked at 59 mph! 3rd fastest ever - even faster than the Gunslinger! Can you imagine trying to catch a football thrown at near 60 mph. I'd break every finger. Lol. And he's got some serious size looking jacked at 6'4", 230 lbs.

I think Levis is going to be the best at seeing early action (we know these top 4 picks will eventually start sometime during their rookie year - some sooner than later depending upon how the team is performing).

As I mentioned before, he played at Kentucky which has nothing near the offensive talent that Bama, OSU & Florida has. Levis had only a 2 & 3 star OL (compared to the 4s & 5s that Bama, OSU & FL have) & virtual unknowns at the skill positions (There's only a handful of Kentucky players in the NFL with the vast majority being defensive players). Yet he faced tough SEC competition for the 2 seasons he started. This why his stats don't stand out like Stroud & Young. I think Levis is more of a playmaker & give him some offensive talent - he might surprise us all.

Had a feeling Wagner would end up back in Seattle, where he can finish out his career.

I think the Cowboys have to like where their team stands right now, in that division. I'll stand by my early prediction that they will look good, make the playoffs, then collapse in spectacular fashion in a game they are favored by double digits, afterwards, Jerry Jones will have to be hospitalized with some sort of ruptured ulcer.

My concern on Will Levis is accuracy. I fear if he's thrown to the wolves, he'll be an interception machine. But in the right system, the right coaches, he has big time potential.

Foster Moreau, former TE for the Raiders who followed Derek Carr to the Saints, announced he is leaving football after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. :(

Had a feeling Wagner would end up back in Seattle, where he can finish out his career.

I think the Cowboys have to like where their team stands right now, in that division. I'll stand by my early prediction that they will look good, make the playoffs, then collapse in spectacular fashion in a game they are favored by double digits, afterwards, Jerry Jones will have to be hospitalized with some sort of ruptured ulcer.

My concern on Will Levis is accuracy. I fear if he's thrown to the wolves, he'll be an interception machine. But in the right system, the right coaches, he has big time potential.

Foster Moreau, former TE for the Raiders who followed Derek Carr to the Saints, announced he is leaving football after being diagnosed with non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. :(
Dak is going to end up putting Jerry in hospital with those early playoff exits..........

TRENDING THREADS