• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 635 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The only thing that bothers me are all the naysayers who just dismiss it, and the USFL, saying that the NCAA is the developmental league for the NFL, and that's all the more football any fan really wants. I call BS on that.
These days the NCAA is the developmental league for the NFL, specifically the SEC - and that can further be narrowed down to just 4 schools: Alabama, Georgia, LSU & Florida. In the last decade these 4 schools combined for a total of 228 draft picks with 52 of those 1st rounders! No other conference with their total draft picks comes close to just these 4 schools

Look at this year's presumed 1st rd QBs; Young, Stroud, Richardson & Levis - 3 out of the 4 are from the SEC. And take Bama which is now becoming QB-U. In the last 4 seasons they have 3 QBs drafted in the 1st round; Jones, Tua & Young (presumably the #1 OA this year). And they have another 5-star kid who was the 2nd best recruit in the nation last year (behind Arch Manning) ready for development in their system.

These recruits going to those SEC schools are not signing on for academic reasons. Most will forego their senior year to declare for NFL draft. Their decision to go to these schools is development for a future in the NFL. And these coaches know that when they're recruiting these kids - it's the big selling point to get them to commit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Maybe at pro days, but in the big picture of the game, doing a flip is low risk factor.
For the record. I could easily do flips probably, 4,5 maybe 10 in a row, but I have been unable to find the right shoes,clothing, flipping surface, wind conditions, air temperature, alcohol quantities and crowd size necessary to do it. Otherwise I would.
Chargers had issues with skiing and mini bike and motorcycle injuries and I would think that there has to be contract stipulations that say, no zip lines, no skydiving, cliff jumping and the ever popular flip..
I have read that Dan Marino, Kenny Stabler and Ben Rothlisberger all had to get out of the NFL because of excess flipping..
The NFL is going to be like Rollerball without James Caan if they go to 20 games.

These days the NCAA is the developmental league for the NFL, specifically the SEC - and that can further be narrowed down to just 4 schools: Alabama, Georgia, LSU & Florida. In the last decade these 4 schools combined for a total of 228 draft picks with 52 of those 1st rounders! No other conference with their total draft picks comes close to just these 4 schools

Look at this year's presumed 1st rd QBs; Young, Stroud, Richardson & Levis - 3 out of the 4 are from the SEC. And take Bama which is now becoming QB-U. In the last 4 seasons they have 3 QBs drafted in the 1st round; Jones, Tua & Young (presumably the #1 OA this year). And they have another 5-star kid who was the 2nd best recruit in the nation last year (behind Arch Manning) ready for development in their system.

These recruits going to those SEC schools are not signing on for academic reasons. Most will forego their senior year to declare for NFL draft. Their decision to go to these schools is development for a future in the NFL. And these coaches know that when they're recruiting these kids - it's the big selling point to get them to commit.

alot of defenders come from Pac-12, UW and WSU. Many QBs, too. They're in the Hall.....

Reactions: Nomad
These days the NCAA is the developmental league for the NFL, specifically the SEC - and that can further be narrowed down to just 4 schools: Alabama, Georgia, LSU & Florida.
alot of defenders come from Pac-12, UW and WSU. Many QBs, too. They're in the Hall.....
Your points are valid, but my question is, is this the best way for the future of the NFL? It's certainly the cheapest, because it's free! And these colleges are training grounds, priming grounds, for the NFL. But how practical is it, sustainable is it? Such a system runs a risk of numerous players never coming close to achieving their potential, with few second chances. The second chances seem to be walking on, and yes the XFL and USFL.

But none of these are what I think of as developmental leagues where the NFL could train, prep, coach guys on the edge. It's an interesting question if nothing else. Would the NFL benefit from some sort of minor league system? Certainly some, but how much? At what cost? And what would be a timeline for such a thing? If it happens I think it will within the NFL, behind closed doors, over time. AAF chairman (majority owner) Tom Dundon tried to force the NFL's hand, and when that didn't fly, for several reasons, control, fear of young players getting hurt, that idea ended.

Meanwhile, Major League Football is seeking capital to launch in 2024, and it claims it will be the best non-NFL football league out there. So someone must think there's gold in them thar hills.
The NFL is going to be like Rollerball without James Caan if they go to 20 games.
Odd how in some ways society is not too far off from that movie. Governments corrupted and bankrupt, corporations rule everything. Rich people flock to celebrity athletes, and their lavish parties. I saw the movie a few years ago and while parts of it had not aged well, some of it was eye opening still. It has made me wonder in the last decade at times similar to the growth in MMA, if a brutal team sport like Rollerball will be developed, and catch on. Hard combat, violence attracts people. Mostly young men, but people from all over, really.

Your points are valid, but my question is, is this the best way for the future of the NFL? It's certainly the cheapest, because it's free! And these colleges are training grounds, priming grounds, for the NFL. But how practical is it, sustainable is it? Such a system runs a risk of numerous players never coming close to achieving their potential, with few second chances. The second chances seem to be walking on, and yes the XFL and USFL.

But none of these are what I think of as developmental leagues where the NFL could train, prep, coach guys on the edge. It's an interesting question if nothing else. Would the NFL benefit from some sort of minor league system? Certainly some, but how much? At what cost? And what would be a timeline for such a thing? If it happens I think it will within the NFL, behind closed doors, over time. AAF chairman (majority owner) Tom Dundon tried to force the NFL's hand, and when that didn't fly, for several reasons, control, fear of young players getting hurt, that idea ended.

Meanwhile, Major League Football is seeking capital to launch in 2024, and it claims it will be the best non-NFL football league out there. So someone must think there's gold in them thar hills.

Odd how in some ways society is not too far off from that movie. Governments corrupted and bankrupt, corporations rule everything. Rich people flock to celebrity athletes, and their lavish parties. I saw the movie a few years ago and while parts of it had not aged well, some of it was eye opening still. It has made me wonder in the last decade at times similar to the growth in MMA, if a brutal team sport like Rollerball will be developed, and catch on. Hard combat, violence attracts people. Mostly young men, but people from all over, really.
You raise a good transitional set of questions. As it stands collegiate players will get some income. I'm not sure that plays out without mischief at all. As for training players; at least the NCAA is an existing structure with facilities. Whether their game can become more preparatory for the NFL is a valid challenge, since every other collegiate scholarly endeavor can be merged with commerce now. It would become the formal funeral dirge for "amateur" sports but few would likely care that love Fuball. Coaching systems could easily begin to prepare players for NFL games but that may come at the cost of innovation the college game brings now.
As for marketing brutality for ratings; maybe this would be a time the NFL takes the opposite position and continues to improve player protection. Sure the old school fans dedicated to counting Jack Lambert's missing teeth as testimony to toughness may seek other entertainment but what's the loss if new fans accept serious athleticism? The old guys are dying anyway. The NFL could be a very influential social organization if that became a profitable plan.

It's the only way that seems effective in grooming these top recruits for the NFL.

The "three-year rule" stipulates that a college player can be eligible for NFL draft after that player has been out of HS for 3 years. The rule has been in effect since 1990 & the overwhelming majority of top recruits who perform well forgo their senior year & declare for the draft.

That's why these 4 & 5-star recruits, especially the QBs, want to immediately start their freshman year & initiate the grooming process. Many of these top recruits are given promises that they'll start or at least get significant playing time their freshman year in order to get them to commit. And when something goes wrong & that recruit doesn't see any playing time their freshman year for whatever reasons other than an injury, they take advantage of the new transfer portal (don't have to sit a year) & hightail it out of there to another big time program where they'll start. Lol (i.e. Fields - Georgia/OSU, Hurts - Alabama/Oklahoma, Murray - Texas AM/Oklahoma). For example, any doubt that Arch Manning isn't going to start or at least get significant playing time his freshman yr at Texas or he'll more than likely take advantage of the transfer portal to another big time program.

The top Power-5 programs are churning out NFL players left & right after that 3 yr window. And factor in the college football playoffs (CFP) that can add up to 2 more games for the 2 top teams every year that will further help in the development of the top players & improve their draft status. Occasionally, you'll see a lower-rated, relatively unknown recruit end up at a non-power-5 school & make it big in the NFL such as a Josh Allen, who was only a 2-star recruit out of California & ended up at Wyoming.

And you have more HCs now that have NFL experience as either a HC or coordinator which further helps in the grooming process (e.g. Jim Harbaugh - Stanford/49ers/Michigan, Saban - LSU/Dolphins/Bama, Sarkisian- USC/Falcons/Texas).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez

And they want Mac Jones potentially too. Heck call Wilfork up for the defense, David Andrew’s oline, Gostkowski and Allen for special teams and you’re good. Special consultant Brady.

I see almost zero chance Mac Jones ends up on the Raiders. What are they going to do, trade Garoppolo to the Patriots for him? Right after they signed JG to a 3-year deal? The Raiders are paying JG $24m a year, while Jones has two years left as a rookie at a paltry $2m a year. And Belicheck is going to sign off on this? Or are the Raiders thinking they'll trade Myers, Chandler Jones, and Hoyer back to the Pats and have Mac sit behind Garoppolo? This just doesn't add up.

I think this is bored sportswriters writing out their ass trying to come up with something interesting to get them attention. They hear that Belicheck isn't 100% sold on Jones and was open to hearing what other teams want. They heard the Raiders were open to something, look up some stats and find out Jones played a lot better under McDaniels than Patricia, and Shazam! they instantly think the Raiders are trying to get Jones who will lead them to the promised land! Everyone now rejoice!!!

Hey, I also heard that Aaron Rodgers might be going to the 49ers! Yes!!! They would be loaded at QB. Rodgers could start, and he could tutor Purdy, Lance, and Darnold, how to throw the ball like him. It's a win-win-win!!! (As if Purdy hasn't already proved himself. As if Lance didn't learn a single thing in the two years he's been stuck sitting, hurt. As if veteran starting QBs somehow automatically do the job of a quarterback coach, and OC, and HC, better than those guys - something a lot of people believe or assume.)

What other horsecrap can we dream up before the draft finally happens? :rolleyes:

I see almost zero chance Mac Jones ends up on the Raiders. What are they going to do, trade Garoppolo to the Patriots for him? Right after they signed JG to a 3-year deal? The Raiders are paying JG $24m a year, while Jones has two years left as a rookie at a paltry $2m a year. And Belicheck is going to sign off on this? Or are the Raiders thinking they'll trade Myers, Chandler Jones, and Hoyer back to the Pats and have Mac sit behind Garoppolo? This just doesn't add up.

I think this is bored sportswriters writing out their ass trying to come up with something interesting to get them attention. They hear that Belicheck isn't 100% sold on Jones and was open to hearing what other teams want. They heard the Raiders were open to something, look up some stats and find out Jones played a lot better under McDaniels than Patricia, and Shazam! they instantly think the Raiders are trying to get Jones who will lead them to the promised land! Everyone now rejoice!!!

Hey, I also heard that Aaron Rodgers might be going to the 49ers! Yes!!! They would be loaded at QB. Rodgers could start, and he could tutor Purdy, Lance, and Darnold, how to throw the ball like him. It's a win-win-win!!! (As if Purdy hasn't already proved himself. As if Lance didn't learn a single thing in the two years he's been stuck sitting, hurt. As if veteran starting QBs somehow automatically do the job of a quarterback coach, and OC, and HC, better than those guys - something a lot of people believe or assume.)

What other horsecrap can we dream up before the draft finally happens? :rolleyes:
Mahomes to the Jets?

Mahomes to the Jets?
Last I heard Mahomes had a 10 year contract worth 500 million ! Reid has won his first two SBs with Mahomes after trying for so long and people such as some 49ers fans are complaining that Shanahan is a bum cause he hasn't won a SB in his first 7 years as a head coach ! He's been to two NFC Champs and one SB which is a lot better than many in their first seven seasons and was the OC on the Falcons team that lost the SB.

As for Rodgers he was asked point blank before his darkness journey whether he would like to be traded to the 49ers and he said no he won't be going to the 49ers. Whether this is because they keep knocking him out of the playoffs or because he's still bitter about the draft where the 49ers passed over him, who would know ? If this Jets deal falls through it seems no one will be happy from the Jets and GB. The Colts are supposed to be interested in Lamar now. After the Wentz/Ryan/Andrew Luck disasters nothing would surprise me. As for the Jets their QB strike rate is about as good as Denver's . The 49ers also made it clear that they are running with the three QBs they currently have. If they didn't want Brady in 2020 the chances of them getting Rodgers looks remote.

The 49ers also made it clear that they are running with the three QBs they currently have. If they didn't want Brady in 2020 the chances of them getting Rodgers looks remote.
The concept of Rodgers helping the 49ers at this point seems like an April Fools joke.

I didn't see Brady going to the 49ers. But the Raiders, or Dolphins, yes. We even talked about it here. When he was done in NE, both of those teams made some sense. We now know the Dolphins were so interested there was talk of future part ownership, before sticking with Fitz and tanking for Tua. We also know that Mark Davis was all set to sign Brady and Gronk, and Dana White of the UFC was "hosting" it, when Jon Gruden pulled the plug on that idea, instead drafted Henry Ruggs and Damon Arnette with his top picks, the Raiders finishing a disappointing 8-8. Chicago, Tennessee, and SF were also possibilities at the time. In retrospect, all were foolish for thinking Tom was over the hill. Won a SB for Tampa, and played fantastic in it. His stats were even still quite good last year.

Another one I still hear time to time is about how Detroit could trade up, or draft a QB if one of the big four drop to them, to get their "upgrade" or "QB of the future". It's like these experts didn't watch a single Lions game this year, or don't bother even glancing at stats, or they would know Goff is coming off a stellar year, he's just 28, made the pro bowl, and arguably the best QB in the NFL the last six weeks of the season. You really think drafting someone like Will Levis or Richardson is going to be an "upgrade" over Goff??? I'm not even sure CJ Stroud, who I think is the one QB in this draft, would be a legit upgrade over time. Maybe. But why on earth would the Lions take that risk?

Mahomes contract is somewhat unique (link). He'll make $40m this year, and $37 the next, that's it. It's not until 2030 that he finally crests the $50m per year mark. The total value has a small amount guaranteed in that it came in a signing bonus. However, the way it's written, it has a rolling year to year feature so that basically if he's in a Chiefs uniform on week 1 of any given year, that year's pay is fully guaranteed. It's a pretty smart contract for both Mahomes, and the Chiefs. He gets plenty of money, but it doesn't break the bank for the Chiefs. Plus, if something goes terribly wrong, he gets a career ending injury, demands a trade, or just wants to retire, they can just finish the year, and reset without a major headache.
The Colts are supposed to be interested in Lamar now. After the Wentz/Ryan/Andrew Luck disasters nothing would surprise me.
Seems like the exact opposite of what they recently implied they were going to do, but hell, who knows? Giving up two first round picks for Lamar, AND paying him the 4-5 year $45 mil with at least $40m of that guaranteed, like he wants, seems nuts to me. But the Colts, at least Jim Irsay, has made bold moves in the past, and now that he's getting older, just like Stephen Ross in Miami, perhaps the Johnsons in NYJ, and Al Davis did before he passed away (and I think senile his last few years), increasingly rash decisions are made in the hopes of making one last championship before they pass away.
As for the Jets their QB strike rate is about as good as Denver's .
I think the real problem was Elway. He made one very smart move: signing Peyton Manning. But let's credit Manning for those wins in Denver. A lot of people were wondering how his neck was, and if his arm strength was fading, but he did fine. Even in his last year when his arm was about shot, he still found open guys all the time and won a Super Bowl. That was Manning, not Elway. All of Elway's other decisions were simply bad. One bad draft pick after another at QB. One bad coaching move after another.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS