• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 740 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I hope that he is a little nasty too! The best centers and guards have a streak of nasty in them, IMO.
Matt Millen once said the same. It's basically trench warfare in the interior line, play after play. I think in Seattle's case, Steve Hutchinson is the gold standard. He had a lot of skill but he was definitely a tough player, that "nasty" streak you talk of.

In this light I was happy the Raiders drafted C/G Jackson Powers-Johnson, who both plays, and talks like he has a chip on his shoulder.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
Christian Haynes (G) from UCon.

“Smart, tough, reliable,’’ Schneider called the 6-foot-2, 313-pounder.

I hope that he is a little nasty too! The best centers and guards have a streak of nasty in them, IMO.

From NFL.com
"Four-year starter and team captain who is sturdy at the point of attack. Haynes plays with football intelligence and sees every snap as a mandate to move opponents and finish blocks. His draft slotting could be affected by a lack of length and being limited to one position, but his determined playing style counters those factors. He’s not overly rangy but wipes out targets on pulling blocks and is capable in space, and in pass protection. The hand usage can get sloppy, allowing opponents to slip away from him, and he has a tendency to do too much grabbing. All things considered, he might outplay his draft slotting and become a solid NFL starter."
"
  • Has four years of starting experience and plays a clever brand of ball.
  • Compact and powerful through his upper body.
  • Understands angles and accelerates through his targets.
  • Gets into blocks with a strong desire to move and finish his opponent.
  • Pass sets with good posture and stays square to the action.
  • Moves feet to catch counters and twists at either gap."

From Seattle Times:
"The Seahawks earlier this month signed veteran Laken Tomlinson to almost certainly play on the left side and replace Lewis, who signed a four-year $53 million deal with the Panthers.

Earlier in free agency, the Seahawks also signed former UW standout Nick Harris — who can also play guard — to compete at center with second-year player Olu Oluwatimi to replace the departed Brown.

And with that, the Seahawks appear to have the pieces of an interior offensive line to go along with a plentiful tackle spot that includes returning third-year starters Charles Cross and Abraham Lucas, on the left and right sides, respectively, along with veteran free agent George Fant, signed to a two-year deal to add experienced depth."
After SF chased Geno off the field in the last meeting the team owed him this. It may make a difference if they can also maintain a running game. Not big news but they seem to have linemen stocked on both sides of the ball now.

Agree that Kirk has little to complain about. This is a business, period. He's also not young. Cash your checks, play your best, then get ready to move on with life when you're on the bench, then released, and Penix is playing.
Whoever they decide to go with this year, the Falcons have got to start winning. The last two seasons, they've finished with identical 7-10 records. Last year they finished 3rd in the division only ahead of the dreadful Panthers. The NFC South is not by any means a competitive division with TB winning the division the last two years at 9-8 & 8-9.

Interestingly, Atlanta plays Minnesota later this season - maybe a McCarthy vs MPJ rematch?

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Another McCaffrey in the league!

McCaffrey played his HS ball here in Denver (Valor Christian) where he was a 4-star QB recruit signing with Nebraska. Not making it as a QB, he transferred to Rice switching to WR (caught 68 passes/14 TDs last year). Decent size for a WR & sub-4.5 speed like his brother (following his dad's position, Eddie Mac, who had a stellar career at WR with the Broncos).

Last edited:
The Broncos take OLB Jonas Elliss (UT) in the 3rd. Interestingly, his dad, Luther, played DL for the Broncos & was later the team chaplain.
They might need someone to pray for them. I'm guessing they fight to stay out of last place (again). What will be interesting is if Wilson doesn't improve at all, and Nix isn't ready for the NFL, if Denver keeps or just fires Payton. Remember, he was the, "I can fix him" coach with the last Wilson. And when the two couldn't agree, he just benched RW.

Rattler landed in New Orleans.

SEA grabbed two more O linemen.

Sataoa Laumea: "I just want to play good football, that's what it is. I want other people to watch, when they watch film, (I want them to say) 'Damn that's some good O-line play right there.' That's what I want to do, I just want to be great. To be great, I have to be nasty sometimes, that's where that drive comes from."

I watched the Utah vs. Washington game, but don't have any specific recollection of Sataoa.

Also Michael Jerrell...I know nothing, yet.

The also got a LB, two DBs...let's see how they pan out.

They might need someone to pray for them. I'm guessing they fight to stay out of last place (again). What will be interesting is if Wilson doesn't improve at all, and Nix isn't ready for the NFL, if Denver keeps or just fires Payton. Remember, he was the, "I can fix him" coach with the last Wilson. And when the two couldn't agree, he just benched RW.
The next "Drew Brees" better be ready for the NFL. Lol. Nix is the 2nd highest drafted QB in franchise history only behind Cutler (11th OA). Payton better be able to mold Nix into the franchise QB & bring the Broncos back to winners. His reputation & career as a HC hinges on the future of Nix. So, it'll be a rebuilding year for the Broncos & on-the-job training for Nix (unless by some miracle he has a CJ Stroud-type rookie season).

And the Broncos are giving Nix some weapons to work with. In the 4th, they took his leading receiver at Oregon, Troy Franklin, who's a bit undersized but has good speed & great route running. Next came RB Audric Estime (ND) in the 5th (he's a 227 lb bruiser with great speed that can catch the ball well) & WR Devaughn Vele (UT) in the 7th (good size at 6'4"/210 lbs & sub-4.5 speed).

But the obvious question moving forward is will Nix be the next "Drew Brees" or will this be another Bronco 1st round draft bust?

Time will only tell.

View: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1783685009880010801

Last edited:
Last edited:
Talking head on the radio: "Do you know which 1st round QB will get the least criticism this season? Penix. Cousins is motivated to prove to MIN that they messed up letting him go, and motivated to show ATL that he is THE ALPHA QB1. That's the recipe for a career season. Penix will be the tablet monitor, there won't be anything to criticize him on unless he drops the tablet." :D

But the obvious question moving forward is will Nix be the next "Drew Brees" or will this be another Bronco 1st round draft bust?
As I watch more on him, read more on him, and look back at previous drafts, he reminds me of these QBs: Daniel Jones, Blaine Gabbert, Kenny Pickett, Mac Jones, Jake Locker.

He does not remind me of Drew Brees, at all.
Carr - you're "on notice." Perform or be cast out. Lol.
I wondered that last year when Jake Haener looked decent in the pre-season. My thinking was if Haener sits a year or two, he might, maybe turn out to be an NFL starter. We'll get a real good look at both Rattler and Haener in the preseason. I like this pick for the Saints. They won't realistically be able to cut bait on Carr until after the 2025 season without serious repercussions, but they could in theory bench Carr in 2025, and start a well-prepped, well-groomed Rattler (or Haener) if he steps up and they think he's their QB of the future. This seems plausible to me.
Talking head on the radio: "Do you know which 1st round QB will get the least criticism this season? Penix. Cousins is motivated to prove to MIN that they messed up letting him go, and motivated to show ATL that he is THE ALPHA QB1. That's the recipe for a career season. Penix will be the tablet monitor, there won't be anything to criticize him on unless he drops the tablet." :D
Talking head was right! Penix is likely only to see garbage time (unless Cousins gets hurt). I think Williams will have flashes of brilliance, make some mistakes, and the Bears will have a decent season. I think Daniels will show flashes of it too, on a worse team, and struggle. Washington will struggle, like 4-13 seems possible. I think Maye will look like an NFL QB at times, get sacked a lot but really struggle in New England, and they might go 4-13 as well. But they will have more draft picks, and are still loaded with FA money in the future. I think McCarthy will look good at times, but also really struggle, as the Vikings finish in the cellar around 6-11 is my guess. I want to see McCarthy carry his team, and win games from behind, then I'll re-evalauate. Because I'm not sure he can do it.

As I watch more on him, read more on him, and look back at previous drafts, he reminds me of these QBs: Daniel Jones, Blaine Gabbert, Kenny Pickett, Mac Jones, Jake Locker.

He does not remind me of Drew Brees, at all.

I wondered that last year when Jake Haener looked decent in the pre-season. My thinking was if Haener sits a year or two, he might, maybe turn out to be an NFL starter. We'll get a real good look at both Rattler and Haener in the preseason. I like this pick for the Saints. They won't realistically be able to cut bait on Carr until after the 2025 season without serious repercussions, but they could in theory bench Carr in 2025, and start a well-prepped, well-groomed Rattler (or Haener) if he steps up and they think he's their QB of the future. This seems plausible to me.

Talking head was right! Penix is likely only to see garbage time (unless Cousins gets hurt). I think Williams will have flashes of brilliance, make some mistakes, and the Bears will have a decent season. I think Daniels will show flashes of it too, on a worse team, and struggle. Washington will struggle, like 4-13 seems possible. I think Maye will look like an NFL QB at times, get sacked a lot but really struggle in New England, and they might go 4-13 as well. But they will have more draft picks, and are still loaded with FA money in the future. I think McCarthy will look good at times, but also really struggle, as the Vikings finish in the cellar around 6-11 is my guess. I want to see McCarthy carry his team, and win games from behind, then I'll re-evalauate. Because I'm not sure he can do it.
Its important that teams and fans alike let these young guys become good, not expect them to be good game one. Also the target for them isn't Mahomes, its Stroud. Sure, dream big, but don't aim for PM now, aim for getting better each week.

And they thought Atlanta was insane taking a QB.
Not that insane. Neither Carr nor Cousins are worth the massive contracts they got. Both received "take us deep into the playoffs" type of money. Carr in his entire career is 0-1 in the playoffs. Blame the Raiders all you like, but he was the same guy last year in New Orleans than he was for Oakland/LV for years. Confident, talks a great game. Throws some impressive passes at times, but really is maybe just above average.

As I posted before, I think NO looked at Haener last year and thought, "this guy could maybe be our starter down the line". Don't forget they traded up last year to get him, he was last year's Senior Bowl MVP, and he looked good in the pre-season, even in the game they lost and he threw a costly int. With the pick of Rattler I can easily see both showing promise in the pre-season, and both will be looked at very closely by the team.

Carr is most definitely on notice, and he should be. Start earning that huge contract we gave you, or you'll be on the bench, then cut - Russell Wilson style. If Denver can do it, other teams will just the same.
Its important that teams and fans alike let these young guys become good, not expect them to be good game one. Also the target for them isn't Mahomes, its Stroud. Sure, dream big, but don't aim for PM now, aim for getting better each week.
Except many fans, and very often team owners, don't think like this. They expect the rookie drafted very high to start from week 1, and lead the team to if not a winning season right away, some impressive play. Look at how livid David Tepper was last year. Most owners are like him, or close to it. Most come into the NFL with a typical corporate CEO mindset: very impatient, and demanding of near instant results. They just aren't as extroverted as Tepper is, they don't outwardly show it.

I think CJ Stroud actually made things worse for rookies this year, Bryce Young didn't make it easier. I think most owners (and some fans) are going to expect these top rookies to come close to matching Stroud's rookie year. As asinine as that sounds, I think they will.

Last edited:
Except many fans, and very often team owners, don't think like this. They expect the rookie drafted very high to start from week 1, and lead the team to if not a winning season right away, some impressive play. Look at how livid David Tepper was last year. Most owners are like him, or close to it. Most come into the NFL with a typical corporate CEO mindset: very impatient, and demanding of near instant results. They just aren't as extroverted as Tepper is, they don't outwardly show it.

I think CJ Stroud actually made things worse for rookies this year, Bryce Young didn't make it easier. I think most owners (and some fans) are going to expect these top rookies to come close to matching Stroud's rookie year. As asinine as that sounds, I think they will.
Stroud played like a long term pro and didn't seem to get flustered.
For the fans and impatient owners: you just hired the best young player that could dish out and/or take a hit from the biggest guy on the other team. In week One that same guy is going to face 6, bigger/badder versions of his nightmare.
The Owner should wrap his fantasy of instant gratification with the nightmare of his soon-to-be ex wife being represented by his attorney. The same attorney that crafted the prenup....The rookies have that nightmare period before they toughen up and don't see the ghosts of the press and foaming fans each night.

Talking head was right! Penix is likely only to see garbage time (unless Cousins gets hurt).
I'm going to predict that MPJ gets to compete for the starting job. FFS, he's a 8th OA pick selected over McCarthy - who according to Harbaugh, was the best QB on the board!

I think Atlanta is having buyer's remorse with Cousins. The guy is a stiff - 35 yrs old with a bad Achilles now. And in 9 yrs as a full-time starter he's a dismal 1-3 in postseason play! Lol. Obviously, if he was that great Minnesota would have kept him. But O'Connell could see the writing on the wall & was already fed up with him (Cousins was only 4-4 before the Achilles injury).

Think about this: With that 8th pick, Atlanta could have taken either top edge rusher Laiatu Latu (Ted Hendricks award winner!) or the top DL in this draft Bryon Murphy II. Two day-1 IMPACT starters that would make any DC smile! But instead they took MPJ. They must see a winner in him & their franchise QB. Cousins isn't the answer or they wouldn't have drafted a QB with that precious 8th pick...simple logic.

This article was before the draft:

Last edited:
I'm going to predict that MPJ gets to compete for the starting job. FFS, he's a 8th OA pick selected over McCarthy - who according to Harbaugh, was the best QB on the board!

I think Atlanta is having buyer's remorse with Cousins. The guy is a stiff - 35 yrs old with a bad Achilles now. And in 9 yrs as a full-time starter he's a dismal 1-3 in postseason play! Lol. Obviously, if he was that great Minnesota would have kept him. But O'Connell could see the writing on the wall & was already fed up with him (Cousins was only 4-4 before the Achilles injury).

Think about this: With that 8th pick, Atlanta could have taken either top edge rusher Laiatu Latu (Ted Hendricks award winner!) or the top DL in this draft Bryon Murphy II. Two day-1 IMPACT starters that would make any DC smile! But instead they took MPJ. They must see a winner in him & their franchise QB. Cousins isn't the answer or they wouldn't have drafted a QB with that precious 8th pick...simple logic.

This article was before the draft:

While lack of faith in Cousins may be appropriate on the coaching staff, it sure looked like the choice to take Penix at #8 was news to Blank. Video of Blank and the coaching consortium at Detroit had him animated but there wasn't any dialogue. Who ever did make that final call will either be a hero or historically unemployed.

This report says Blank wasn't in the dark & had signed off on the MPJ pick.

Keep in mind that Blank is desperate & wants to win. Two consecutive back to back losing seasons (7-10) in a lousy division isn't making him a fan favorite. He's obviously not confident with Cousins & believes the future is with MPJ.

Last edited:
Good posts.

Blank is also 82 years old. He has to know the End is near, and the Lord will soon be drafting him. So he's going to be desperate to do something, anything, while he's still on this planet.
I think you're pretty much right. Everything you wrote.

As I said before, I can certainly see a point where Cousins doesn't play well, Penix does, and the Falcons rip off the bandaid. If the Broncos could do it with Wilson (which was a far more binding situation, and someone they gave up far more for), the Falcons can certainly do it with Cousins.

We also have to assume Penix can stay healthy, and they find a solid vet (at $10m a year, not $40m) to back him up.

I think CJ Stroud actually made things worse for rookies this year, Bryce Young didn't make it easier. I think most owners (and some fans) are going to expect these top rookies to come close to matching Stroud's rookie year.
Exactly...and I think that explains Teper's tumultuous behavior last year. He saw the guy the down the street drafted 2nd outperforming by leaps & bounds his guy drafted numeral uno. Lol.

And don't forget that Luck & Big Ben also made things worse for rookies back then as well. Luck started day-1 & lead Indy to a 11-5 record, division title & playoff berth. Big Ben went into preseason camp as the #3 guy & Cowher wanted to sit him a year to "learn the system." But by week #3, he replaced a struggling Tommy Maddox & reeled off 14 consecutive wins, a division title & an AFC championship appearance only losing to eventual SB winner NE.

"jmdirt" made a good point that these top 1st rounders all go to struggling teams that are desperate to turn things around quickly. (the rare exceptions being Mahomes & Love). It's built in there's pressure to start these guys their rookie season whether they're ready or not. But it goes with the territory - these 1st rounders are being paid very good rookie contracts with insane signing bonuses of $20m plus! Free $$$ to do what they want with whether they succeed or not (the average American that works, lets say, for 45 yrs or so will only make around ~$2.8m - almost a tenth of what these guys are getting in one signing bonus!).

Last edited: