• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
Haha! If things go bad for my Seattle team, I was just thinking of making the Eagles my next fav team.

Money to spend for sure, since they no longer have the big QB contracts like they did with McNabb. Instead they have (what I think must be) much smaller contracts with reborn QBs like Mike Vick and Vince Young.

Vick is on the franchise tag, cost 16m against the cap this year.

The explanation is far deeper - they've built a great young team through the draft - loads of great guys on rookie deals getting under paid. It's an example of how to do it. And next year they have loads of space again, and a shedload of draft picks.

jobiwan said:
Seattle's in the NFC :p, but with their division being as awful as it is, somehow they have playoff hopes!!

How true. Seattle got into the playoffs last year by virtue of their weak division... and ended up beating the Saints in the playoffs. I think someone was looking past Seattle that day.

I have a Tennessee connection... Hasselbeck. Outstanding character and competitor. Love that guy. Hope they do well.

Waterloo Sunrise said:

The explanation is far deeper - they've built a great young team through the draft - loads of great guys on rookie deals getting under paid. It's an example of how to do it. And next year they have loads of space again, and a shedload of draft picks.

Whoa! Didn't know they franchised Vick. But yeah, that's the way you do it.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:

So, they've got Vick, Young, and Kafka at QB. Not, sure what the contract situations are with Young and Kafka.... but I think a number of teams were sniffing at Kafka this off-season.... and if the Philly QB re-hab works as well as for Young, as it did for Vick, they'll probably have another shedload of draft picks soon.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
What, no talk about the Jets? Steelers? Colts? These teams should still be quite good. Also think the Ravens could be very good.

Anyone watch the games? In Seattle Charlie Whitehurst clearly outplayed Tavaris Jackson, even though Jackson has been in that offensive scheme for five years and Whitehurst has only seen it for two weeks. In Oakland their QBs looked upside down as well. Campbell played okay, but Boller was better, and 3rd stringer Edwards looked sharpest.

Denver is going to have to play Tebow at some point this season. They took him in the 1st round, he's a big name. I think they are hoping Orton will play well, so they can trade him and then play Tebow. Bad idea.

As bad as Denver is, they aren't going to get Andrew Luck. Washington, Seattle, Cincinnati, Buffalo and Carolina should all be worse. The other QB in next year's draft is Matt Barkley out of USC and he too has big NFL potential.

Tebow is done for now since the coach who picked him is gone. I think TFF explained it very good. To summarize it: The NFL is a pocket passer league. No single "running QB" has ever won a SB. McNair came inches close. That´s it.

When Elway, Young won, they were older and wiser. None of them had more than 250 rushing yards in the winning all season. Even Randall Cunningham only came close (in 1998) because he transformed into a pocket passer in his late years.

I think Vick has a good chance to win it all* since he really changed his style last year. I love his arm. Only two QB´s i remember having such a "killer" arm: Rohan Davey and Clifford Madison.

* as for every team, if the OL and him stays somewhat healty of course; and luck is on his side when needed

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Tebow is done for now since the coach who picked him is gone. I think TFF explained it very good. To summarize it: The NFL is a pocket passer league. No single "running QB" has ever won a SB. McNair came inches close. That´s it.

When Elway, Young won, they were older and wiser. None of them had more than 250 rushing yards in the winning all season. Even Randall Cunningham only came close (in 1998) because he transformed into a pocket passer in his late years.

I think Vick has a good chance to win it all* since he really changed his style last year. I love his arm. Only two QB´s i remember having such a "killer" arm: Rohan Davey and Clifford Madison.

* as for every team, if the OL and him stays somewhat healty of course; and luck is on his side when needed

I get your point on running QBs, Elway, Young, etc. You could also throw Montana and Stauback into that list of QBs who could run and won SBs. But they ran (or scrambled) only when they had to, and so those QBs did not rack up a lot of yards running. In the passing game, IF Tebow can learn to get the ball from point A to point B accurately and successfully (no picks) then he will be tough to play against because he's such a competitor.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I get your point on running QBs, Elway, Young, etc. You could also throw Montana and Stauback into that list of QBs who could run and won SBs. But they ran (or scrambled) only when they had to, and so those QBs did not rack up a lot of yards running. In the passing game, IF Tebow can learn to get the ball from point A to point B accurately and successfully (no picks) then he will be tough to play against because he's such a competitor.

Yep, Elway could really throw, we all know that. And Young had the perfect scheme and the WR for his abillities (not strong, but accurate). So if Tebow learns the correct mechanics to be an NFL-Drop-Back-QB, he´ll have a chance. But that can be said of about 1.000 top talented unemployed QB´s.
Anyway, i think he´ll get another chance, but only because of his high draft status. If he was a 6th rounder, he´d b e done forever and look for a CFL-Job.

Yes, even GB´s Rodgers was scrambling if necessary, but only if he couldn´t find the open Receiver.

What about Atlanta? I truly believe they overachieved last year. We had a good discusion about them on advanced NFL-Stats. They will regress to the mean, they are "lucked out". Max. 8 wins i´d say now.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Yep, Elway could really throw, we all know that. And Young had the perfect scheme and the WR for his abillities (not strong, but accurate). So if Tebow learns the correct mechanics to be an NFL-Drop-Back-QB, he´ll have a chance. But that can be said of about 1.000 top talented unemployed QB´s.
Anyway, i think he´ll get another chance, but only because of his high draft status. If he was a 6th rounder, he´d b e done forever and look for a CFL-Job.

Yes, even GB´s Rodgers was scrambling if necessary, but only if he couldn´t find the open Receiver.

What about Atlanta? I truly believe they overachieved last year. We had a good discusion about them on advanced NFL-Stats. They will regress to the mean, they are "lucked out". Max. 8 wins i´d say now.

Their schedule is pretty light. I don't see them being as successful as last year, but I'm having a hard time seeing 8 games that they lose.

10-6 is my guess.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Just curious - how do you all feel about Michael Vick (whether he plays well or not)?

He served his time, he seems like a different guy, and he has been active in speaking to the youth about the dangers of what he did.

I'm happy that he seems to have turned a new leaf, and I hope he does well.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
Just curious - how do you all feel about Michael Vick (whether he plays well or not)?

jobiwan said:
He served his time, he seems like a different guy, and he has been active in speaking to the youth about the dangers of what he did.

Thats what Berni Kohl also did: Speaking of what pipo expected to hear (anti doping blabla, ´til he got busted). Actions count, not words...

Anyway, i think Vick is a great athlete. I love his throwing style. The ball seems to arrive double as fast as from any other NFL-QB. Just beauty to watch. If he cuts down his running attempts and throws instead, he´ll be unstoppable and his sacks will go down as well.

Amsterhammer said:

jobiwan said:

I agree 110% with jobiwan. If anyone like that is willing to turn a new leaf and move forward, then they are deserving of a second chance. I also am happy for him and hope the best for him.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
are the lions still really bad? I dont follow american football much but I think I will try to watch a few games this year, when are the pre season games on? like days at times.... I like the panthers and seahawks :S no idea if either of them are any good..

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Wouldn´t call that a light schedule:
Here are the 8 losses; ;)
Bears
Eagles
Bucs (at least once)
Packers
Colts
Saints (twice)
Vikings

Good team Atlanta. Not a total fluke last year. I think they could lose as few as 5 games and end up 11-5. Losses:
Eagles
Bucs (once)
Packers
Colts
Saints (once)
...final 11/5

Games I think they might end up losing:
Bears
Bucs (both)
Saints (both)
...final 8/8

But I think they will end up closer to 11/5 than 8/8.

palmerq said:
are the lions still really bad? I dont follow american football much but I think I will try to watch a few games this year, when are the pre season games on? like days at times.... I like the panthers and seahawks :S no idea if either of them are any good..

I think the Lions are up and coming. I'm definately going to watch a few Lions games this year, mainly because I want to see what the combination of DTs Suh and Fairley can do. But what the crap.... what happened with Fairley or where'd he go??? Don't see him on their depth chart.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Good team Atlanta. Not a total fluke last year. I think they could lose as few as 5 games and end up 11-5. Losses:
Eagles
Bucs (once)
Packers
Colts
Saints (once)
...final 11/5

Games I think they might end up losing:
Bears
Bucs (both)
Saints (both)
...final 8/8

But I think they will end up closer to 11/5 than 8/8.

OK
Whoever is closer wins. I stay with 8, you go with 11.
I would put Lance Armstrong from Feb. to Sept. 2012 in, a guy i really don´t like. What would you offer? It should really hurt you. :D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:

The Lions improved, but don´t expect magical things.
The pre season started last night. Just go to NFL.com. All schedules are there.
Panthers and Seahaws?! Well... at least you have my condolence. ;)

I see the Falcons finishing in 2nd at 10-6 and pushing for a wild card.

The Lions may finish about 7-9, IF Matt Stafford can stay healthy. If he's healthy and plays great, and the defense gels, maybe 9-7. If they can't and Shaun King is the QB, back to another 4-12 year.

Seattle and Carolina are both going to finish in dead last. Even in the NFC Wast, both St. Louis and SF have improved, and Arizona is about a 6-10 team. Seattle may go 4-12. Carolina may go 3-13. But both have upside in the future, 2013 and beyond. Washington I think has no hope, and despite Andy Daulton I think being a big potential NFL QB, the Bengals will still stink due to bad ownership and management.

The Eagles are not the Miami Heat! Completely different cities and fans. Philly is like the end of the rust belt, with blue collar workers and icy winters. Miami is all warm and glitzy. Plus Vick, despite doing horrible things in the past, seems very contrite and appreciative. He's not Mr. Greed LeBron and the Heat's, "Three My Egos".

Denver has to play Tebow at some point. The reason being is that there is so much hype and hope surrounding him the fans are going to have to see with their eyes that he can't play before giving up on him. He did okay in 3 starts last year, and if Denver is 3-7 after ten games or so, expect him to play out the season as starter. I agree though that he's never going to be an Aaron Rogers. But he's not Jamarcus Russell either. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is determined to learn and adapt.

Tennessee also was very good in 2000. Finishing 13-3, but lost to that great Ravens team (who were 12-4) in a tough playoff game. The 2008 Titans should have won the Superbowl. Swept the Steelers in the regular season. Two bad calls and a really bad late fumble in the playoffs and their season was done.

I'm surprised how much traction this thread has! :)

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
OK
Whoever is closer wins. I stay with 8, you go with 11.
I would put Lance Armstrong from Feb. to Sept. 2012 in, a guy i really don´t like. What would you offer? It should really hurt you. :D

Okay. I mighta picked LA too, but let's see... I'll throw in McQuack (from anytime) or Landis (2006). Of those two I don't care which, so you tell me what would be worse.

Alpe d'Huez said:
The Lions may finish about 7-9, IF Matt Stafford can stay healthy. If he's healthy and plays great, and the defense gels, maybe 9-7. If they can't and Shaun King is the QB, back to another 4-12 year.

I was talking earlier about wanting to watch the Lions some because of DTs Suh and Fairley, but I did not see Fairley on their roster. Found out he's been put on IR or the PUP list... something like that. That would be too bad if he can't play due to injury... well, same as anyone with injury.

Traction... this is when the rubber hits the road baby! Been starved too long with the lockout.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I see the Falcons finishing in 2nd at 10-6 and pushing for a wild card.

Seattle and Carolina are both going to finish in dead last. Even in the NFC Wast, both St. Louis and SF have improved, and Arizona is about a 6-10 team. Seattle may go 4-12. Carolina may go 3-13. But both have upside in the future, 2013 and beyond. Washington I think has no hope, and despite Andy Daulton I think being a big potential NFL QB, the Bengals will still stink due to bad ownership and management.

The Eagles are not the Miami Heat! Completely different cities and fans. Philly is like the end of the rust belt, with blue collar workers and icy winters. Miami is all warm and glitzy. Plus Vick, despite doing horrible things in the past, seems very contrite and appreciative. He's not Mr. Greed LeBron and the Heat's, "Three My Egos".

Denver has to play Tebow at some point. The reason being is that there is so much hype and hope surrounding him the fans are going to have to see with their eyes that he can't play before giving up on him. He did okay in 3 starts last year, and if Denver is 3-7 after ten games or so, expect him to play out the season as starter. I agree though that he's never going to be an Aaron Rogers. But he's not Jamarcus Russell either. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders and is determined to learn and adapt.

Tennessee also was very good in 2000. Finishing 13-3, but lost to that great Ravens team (who were 12-4) in a tough playoff game. The 2008 Titans should have won the Superbowl. Swept the Steelers in the regular season. Two bad calls and a really bad late fumble in the playoffs and their season was done.

But we will take Atlanta once and Tampa once.

A

Anonymous

palmerq said:

You have good taste, and regardless of what Foxy says, we are not trying to get Luck. We picked our QB this year, and he is going to work out just fine in a couple of years. We will be a much improved team this year.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Okay. I mighta picked LA too, but let's see... I'll throw in McQuack (from anytime) or Landis (2006). Of those two I don't care which, so you tell me what would be worse.

OK, McQuaid i think much people wouldn´t know who the guy in the avatar is.
... i get it, Landis 2006 (please in yellow and with champagne) would be great. I didn´t see the sarcasm in 1st place, but now i really like that idea. Take him when you loose.

TRENDING THREADS