• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't care who they played, or if he has a mediocre season after this, that was one hell of a performance by Newton. All the criticisms against him, all of them, turned out to be bunk. People saying he could only really run, that he had poor accuracy, that he wasn't smart enough to make key, fast decisions, that he wasn't a true leader. There were even some people saying he would be a bust and barely be better than JaMarcus Russell. He completely blew all of those out the water and was the NFL player of the week, even in a losing cause if you ask me. It took Aaron Rogers a couple years to adapt his style from college to the pros. A lot of people think Tim Tebow will never be able to do it as so far he hasn't been able to at all. Newton did that in one game. One game!

In tonight's games I think the Broncos will beat the Raiders in a close game, and I think the Patriots-Dolphins game will be closer than people expect.

Chiefs all-pro safety Eric Berry was injured in the 1Q of their blowout loss to the Bills and is out for the season with a torn ACL. Huge loss for them.

The problem with Denver is that they hired John Fox. They are getting ready to get the "it is what it is" treatment. They also better get used to 3rd and long draw plays because Fox doesn't believe in risking too much anywhere on the field. They also better get used to the worst clock management in the NFL, bar none. He is horrifically bad. Just stupid. And his red flag percentage is a joke. I hope the door did hit his a$$ on the way out...hard!

A

Anonymous

Well my season starts in 30 minutes.

Have a feeling we (fins) might have a few problems this evening. Got a quarterback that makes a living from throwing interceptions. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

TeamSkyFans said:
Well my season starts in 30 minutes.

Have a feeling we (fins) might have a few problems this evening. Got a quarterback that makes a living from throwing interceptions. :rolleyes:

...and you're playing the Patriots.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Things are coming into focus quite clearly now.:p

Well, I will say that I hate Tampa less than Atlanta. I absolutely detest Atlanta. The defense attorneys in town love the Atlanta games because they always get to represent out of town dirt bags from Atlanta who come here, get too drunk, and act like fans of the Atlanta Falcons act. I am being completely serious too, they actually look forward to the games. I am sure it is the same there. Dirtiest team in the NFL, and biggest dirt bags for fans in the NFL...bad combination.

Well, it might not have been a great defense, but 420 yards is pretty good in the NFL regardless. I for one was surprised by his play. I expected him to look awkward and lost. Regardless of the level of defense he faced, he did not look either.

I'm not convinced. I went to the Charger/Raiders game last year in San Diego.

Raider Nation? Dirt Bags with a capital "D". Seriously, I was glad to get out of the Stadium Parking lot without getting shanked. They were bad during the game (several fights) and way worse after they won.

Never again will I go to a Raider game.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Things are coming into focus quite clearly now.:p

Well, I will say that I hate Tampa less than Atlanta. I absolutely detest Atlanta. The defense attorneys in town love the Atlanta games because they always get to represent out of town dirt bags from Atlanta who come here, get too drunk, and act like fans of the Atlanta Falcons act. I am being completely serious too, they actually look forward to the games. I am sure it is the same there. Dirtiest team in the NFL, and biggest dirt bags for fans in the NFL...bad combination.

Really? That's crazy. I lived outside Atlanta for a few years and went to every Bucs game, never did I have a problem with them. I actually had a lot of fun with their fans. Maybe it's different when they go out of town.

Personally, I've never had a problem with Panthers fans. A very good friend loves em (bless his heart :D). Never cared for the team though, but that's because for years the Bucs had problems containing Steve Smith, and it seemed like each time they played another Buc was getting injured. :(

Thoughtforfood said:
Well, it might not have been a great defense, but 420 yards is pretty good in the NFL regardless. I for one was surprised by his play. I expected him to look awkward and lost. Regardless of the level of defense he faced, he did not look either.

I was surprised too; 420 is not what I expected at all. I was thinking about 250-275 with a TD or two would be darn good for his first start. Arizona blew some coverage at times which allowed him some additional yardage (one of the Steve Smith TDs comes to mind), but he was far more accurate than I expected (the other TD comes to mind). He also looked very composed in the pocket, considering everyone thinks he will immediately take off running. Panthers fans should be stoked; he still has more to prove, but he's off to fast start.

I sure am glad my team (the bengals) started with only two quarterbacks on their roster, one of whom is doubtful for next week. When your one and only healthy quarterback is bruce gradkowski, i think you are in trouble :rolleyes:

As for the pats, they are looking real good tonight. Much like the packers and saints on thursday night. Explosive offenses for all three of them led by possibly the three best quarterbacks in the league.

Cam Newton, what can you say? Absolutely amazing debut. Helps to have someone as experienced as steve smith catching passes.

My early superbowl prediction: Patriots over Packers in a rematch of super bowl XXXI

A

Anonymous

...well, Newton had the most yards this week until tonight...Brady is freaking ridiculous.

A

Anonymous

aarnold517 said:
I sure am glad my team (the bengals) started with only two quarterbacks on their roster, one of whom is doubtful for next week. When your one and only healthy quarterback is bruce gradkowski, i think you are in trouble :rolleyes:

As for the pats, they are looking real good tonight. Much like the packers and saints on thursday night. Explosive offenses for all three of them led by possibly the three best quarterbacks in the league.

Cam Newton, what can you say? Absolutely amazing debut. Helps to have someone as experienced as steve smith catching passes.

My early superbowl prediction: Patriots over Packers in a rematch of super bowl XXXI

After the way both looked this week, that is a possibility, but don't overlook the Ravens because that defense is a match to any offense in the league from what I saw yesterday.

If I could have any defensive player on my team, it would be Ray Lewis even at this age. He sets the attitude of that defense and always has. Stupid things have come out of his mouth at times, and he has put himself into questionable circumstances to say the least, but from a team perspective, there may have never been a more dedicated, talented, driven defensive player in football. His attitude isn't "I am a great player and will dedicate myself to making great plays." There are many defensive players like that. His attitude is "I am a great player, and I will do everything I can to make my defensive unit the best in the league." It isn't about him.

A

Anonymous

Scott SoCal said:
I'm not convinced. I went to the Charger/Raiders game last year in San Diego.

Raider Nation? Dirt Bags with a capital "D". Seriously, I was glad to get out of the Stadium Parking lot without getting shanked. They were bad during the game (several fights) and way worse after they won.

Never again will I go to a Raider game.

Yea, Oakland is sketchy period, and the team and fans carry that with them wherever they go...as evidenced by the first two plays tonight already.

Thoughtforfood said:
...well, Newton had the most yards this week until tonight...Brady is freaking ridiculous.

Brady is also one smart QB. But he did have one bone head play tonight that ended up in a pick for the Fins... a pick by a defensive lineman who almost ran it all the way back for a TD except for Branch who caught him from behind. The bone head part by Brady is how he quit (actually he barely even started) chasing down the DL. Brady gave no effort on that chase, and I thought he should have given the chase more effort. But all the good things he does makes up for that. He probably won't have that happen to him again the rest of his career.

Scott SoCal said:
I'm not convinced. I went to the Charger/Raiders game last year in San Diego...Never again will I go to a Raider game.
What were you wearing, a SD Chargers jersey?
Yes, Oakland's a sketchy town, but when I lived in the Bay Area we never had a single problem there. Granted, this was years ago, but still. I've found obnoxious fans in just about any city. The fans in Seattle can be not only stupidly loud, but surprisingly drunk and stupid, period.

Thoughtforfood said:
If I could have any defensive player on my team, it would be Ray Lewis even at this age.
Ditto, for the same reasons. Guys like Clay Matthews, Demarcus Ware, Patrick Willis, AJ Hawk are now quicker, more agile and probably rank better on every list. But Lewis is a great team leader, period. He can also read offenses as good as any player in the game. Plus, he knows when to hit, but also when to simply make sound, effective tackles. Great competitiveness, great fundamentals, great leadership.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Brady is also one smart QB. But he did have one bone head play tonight....
You have got to be kidding me. The guy throws for over 500 yards and 4 TD's, and that's what you concentrate on? Really? Tough crowd!

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
What were you wearing, a SD Chargers jersey?
Yes, Oakland's a sketchy town, but when I lived in the Bay Area we never had a single problem there. Granted, this was years ago, but still. I've found obnoxious fans in just about any city. The fans in Seattle can be not only stupidly loud, but surprisingly drunk and stupid, period.

Noooo. I went completely neutral. Shorts, flip-flops and a lime green Tommy Bahama shirt.

Trust me, Raiders fans are thugs.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I have been to Raider/Charger games in all 3 places. I never understood why my Dad wouldn't lets us wear our jerseys in LA and Oakland. I have seen some scary stuff in the parking lots of home and away games. I now go to Jet, Giant, Raven, Redskins, and Pats games I have seen azzholes say stuff to people w there kids who are there only to enjoy the game. I have found that Cardinal fans are pretty chill both when they played at ASU and UoP. USC/UCLA fans really get on each other also.
I have gone a couple of smack free seasons as a Padre/Met fan. Don't even wash my team tshirts they barely get worn

Scott SoCal said:
Noooo. I went completely neutral. Shorts, flip-flops and a lime green Tommy Bahama shirt.
Next time may I suggest you wear something like this?

th_Raiders-Chargers.jpg

:)

ESPN radio did a segment today where they estimated that the team with most fans who were ex-convicts had to be the Oakland Raiders. Well, pffttt.

raider-nation-black-hole.jpg

I'm still convinced the "tuck rule" play was called as Karma against the Raiders, for the Ben Dreith game back in 1976.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Bucs have fans that look like that except they're financial advisors heavily involved in charity work. The Nasty Krewe are actually some of the nicest guys I've ever met, always willing to take a picture or hang out with kids.
travel_bucsfan_200.jpg

I've never been to a raiders game in Oakland but once in Tampa. I found them unbelievably annoying. They didn't stop talking trash, and it only got worse when the raiders won. I've had the worst experiences with Eagles fans though; they don't just throw batteries in Philly. :mad:

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ugh. Raiders suck. It is a football game, not some Halloween party

Just got my two game pack for the Bolts. Seeing the Chefs and the Pack get smoked

Alpe d'Huez said:
You have got to be kidding me. The guy throws for over 500 yards and 4 TD's, and that's what you concentrate on? Really? Tough crowd!

Yeup. Maybe I'm tough. But more than anything else, effort is what matters. That pretty much goes for everything in life. An athlete can put up crazy stats, but if the effort isn't there how can the athlete feel great about that at the end of the day? I wouldn't. But like I said, it was only one play he decided to take off, and he did play fantastic otherwise.

Week 2:

Here are the games, and some of my picks:

Raiders at Bills - Could be close, I like the Raiders.
Cleveland at Indy - I think Indy will play better than last week, but still lose.
Jacksonville at Jets - I like the Jets, though Jacksonville is underrated.
KC at Detroit - I like the Lions to go 2-0
GB at Carolina - Despite flashes of brilliance, the Packers stop Newton and win easily.
Arizona at Washington - I like Arizona in a close game.
Bears at Saints - I like the Saints
Seahawks at Steelers - I'll take the Steelers by double digits.
Raves at Titans - I'll take Baltimore, but it will be closer than we think.
TB at Minnesota - I like the Bucs.
Dallas at SF - I like Dallas in what could be a good game.
Cincy at Denver - I'll take Denver. Look for comparison talk between Dalton and Tebow (who won't play).
Texans at Dolphins - Two decent teams on the upswing. I like Miami.
Chargers at Patriots - Game of the week? Pats have become a great regular season team who can't get through the playoffs, and will show that here too.
Eagles at Falcons - Homecoming for Vick. He will be motivated, but so will Atlanta, at home. I'll take Philly in a close game.
Rams at Giants - Two beat up, hurt teams. No Stephen Jackson, no Rams. I'll take the Giants.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Week 2:

-Check means I agree completely unless stated otherwise.

-Check. I'm starting to like what I see in the Raiders. They tend to be a little chippy though.

Cleveland at Indy - I think Indy will play better than last week, but still lose.
-Check

-Check

-Check

GB at Carolina - Despite flashes of brilliance, the Packers stop Newton and win easily.
-Check

I agree this should be close, but I think it could go to Wash. Why? After last weeks performance by Wash. (But maybe I should have thought about last year)

-Check

-Double, no, triple Check

-Check, but Raves by 2 TDs or more

-Check

-Check

Cincy at Denver - I'll take Denver. Look for comparison talk between Dalton and Tebow (who won't play).
-Check, but only because it's at Denver. If at Cincy, I'd take Cincy.

-Check, but also only because they are home. Tex win if in Houston.

Chargers at Patriots - Game of the week? Pats have become a great regular season team who can't get through the playoffs, and will show that here too.
So does that mean you like the Pats in this one? I do.

Eagles at Falcons - Homecoming for Vick. He will be motivated, but so will Atlanta, at home. I'll take Philly in a close game.
I have to take ATL to back up my avatar bet.

Rams at Giants - Two beat up, hurt teams. No Stephen Jackson, no Rams. I'll take the Giants.
-Check

Yes, Pats in one of those 38-23 games.

Atlanta will be motivated to show last week's loss was a fluke, and they still are still good. I just think it's teams that are physical, can run up the gut, and have good DB's to take out Philly.

The Bills team that played last week may indeed beat Oakland, I'm just somewhat of a Raiders fan, which was half my vote.

Houston may upend Miami as well. I think they have a better defense, but in Miami, I'm sticking with the fins.

I know Washington looked good last week, and Arizona didn't. But looking at the bigger picture, I'm going to stick with the Cards. They really should have the better team

Meanwhile, even though he lost two more key players, Seattle's future QB still looks great tonight against Arizona. :D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Week 2:

I'm really interested in the Philly/Atlanta game. Even though this is not the first time he is returning to the ATL as so much of the media will have you believe. I think people forget he's already a scored a pair of TDs in the Georgia Dome. I think the reaction and the game turnout will be the same. I'm looking at Philly to win this is one, but Atlanta will put much more of a fight.

Other than that, the other picks sound fair, but I'll take the Bears and Redskins as winners. if Urlacher is playing, it might the performance of a lifetime, this will be a good game. Washington/Arizona will be close, but Arizona is just that bad; Washington is a hair better, and the score will reflect that.

Oh and Go Bucs....Fire them Cannons

Alpe d'Huez said:
The Bills team that played last week may indeed beat Oakland, I'm just somewhat of a Raiders fan, which was half my vote.

Meanwhile, even though he lost two more key players, Seattle's future QB still looks great tonight against Arizona. :D

I used to be a Raiders fan, if you can believe that, until malcontent owner Al Davis started messing with the team too much. I recall a quote by then DT Howie Long in about 1989 that went something like this... "Don't think that with the best owner in the NFL that the Raiders will not return to glory" (e.g. as a major contender for the SB). That is about when Davis's tinkering was obsessive to a fault. And it has not happened yet for the Raiders. There was a time there when I felt good coaches did not want to work for the controlling Al Davis. But now I think they are on the rise. So, we'll see.

Yeah, A. Luck was solid last night. He went 20/31 for 325 yards passing, which is not eye-popping Bradyesque. But I really like his throwing ACCURATELY on the run... something Seattle is going to need for a while. :( But Seattle really might get a shot at Luck in the next draft, because right now it looks very plausible they will end up in the NFL cellar.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I'm really interested in the Philly/Atlanta game. Even though this is not the first time he is returning to the ATL as so much of the media will have you believe. I think people forget he's already a scored a pair of TDs in the Georgia Dome. I think the reaction and the game turnout will be the same. I'm looking at Philly to win this is one, but Atlanta will put much more of a fight.

Other than that, the other picks sound fair, but I'll take the Bears and Redskins as winners. if Urlacher is playing, it might the performance of a lifetime, this will be a good game. Washington/Arizona will be close, but Arizona is just that bad; Washington is a hair better, and the score will reflect that.

Oh and Go Bucs....Fire them Cannons

Yes, I think both ATL and them Bucs will put up bigger fights after their stinging defeats last week. After last week's losses by those two teams, I felt the Bucs loss was bit more surprising. They will be looking for redemption vs. the Vikes, and should get it. The Longship will be no match for them cannonballs. :D