• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ImmaculateKadence said:
I have heard a few teams say they wouldn't go. The cowboys being one because they have to pay for the new stadium. Jerry Jones pretty much told the NFL absolutely not. The teams that are interested in going are from smaller markets that typically don't sell out anyway. The only way I could see it being fair to all teams is adding a game to the season and scheduling 8 home, 8 away, and one overseas game. I doubt the players would like an extra game per season.

I haven't been to Europe since they started playing games in London, so it's possible the interest has grown, but when I was over there, nobody cared about the NFL. I was actually asked a few times what was on my hat (it was a Bucs hat BTW). If some folks that live there can tell me otherwise, please do.

I see what you mean. The number of games that could realistically be played overseas depends on how much interest there is abroad to host, and how many NFL team are willing to go. And you may be right that there may not be enough of either demand. Wiki actually has some interesting information about teams that might be willing to travel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series):

Before the Chargers and Saints were announced to be the two teams headed to London in 2008, the Kansas City Chiefs, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Seattle Seahawks were identified as teams interested in playing a future game in Europe. In particular, Seattle, which had been slated to play the China Bowl before that game was cancelled, had shown a continued interest in playing a game abroad. Tampa Bay eventually got the 2009 and 2011 games. Both the New York Giants and Miami Dolphins have similarly expressed interest in returning to the UK in a rematch of 2007's international series. There have also been negotiations between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Croke Park in Dublin, Republic of Ireland for a potential International Series game there, possibly as early as 2012.

Goodell has proposed the use of certain regular teams in the International Series in an effort to build a fan base for those teams, raising the prospect of a permanent NFL team on the British Isles.

Just for the record though, I don't have any financial numbers for any of the 8 teams listed above, but most of those are not what I'd call small market teams. OFC compared to the financial Gorillas (e.g. Dallas etc) I suppose many of those are smaller market. The smallest market team in that list I would guess is Seattle, but they are always sold out, event in the most dismal of times (based wins/losses)... like this year and last year. Wait! Crap! I'm sorry. They made the playoffs last year and beat the Saints 41-36! :D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
I see what you mean. The number of games that could realistically be played overseas depends on how much interest there is abroad to host, and how many NFL team are willing to go. And you may be right that there may not be enough of either demand. Wiki actually has some interesting information about teams that might be willing to travel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_International_Series):

Just for the record though, I don't have any financial numbers for any of the 8 teams listed above, but most of those are not what I'd call small market teams. OFC compared to the financial Gorillas (e.g. Dallas etc) I suppose many of those are smaller market. The smallest market team in that list I would guess is Seattle, but they are always sold out, event in the most dismal of times (based wins/losses)... like this year and last year. Wait! Crap! I'm sorry. They made the playoffs last year and beat the Saints 41-36! :D

That was real interesting about the steelers. I went to the link and checked out the article. They're the biggest franchise to show interest, but I wonder how most of the team feels, especially if they push for more than one visit.

I think I came off a little harsh before. To clarify, I am against the NFL playing games outside the US, but not opposed to a league like NFL Europe. I'd love to see the sport expand, but since it already failed in Europe, I doubt there is much of an international interest. I mean the Premier league isn't trying to play games in the US, but MLS is successful and rightfully so (maybe the Glazers will try to get ManU to play at RayJ :rolleyes:). My point is that national sports leagues should stay national. That doesn't mean sports can't expand internationally.

I'd certainly go to a one off game. I went to the Bears-Cowboys pre-season game at Wembley (I think in the late 80s?). A regular season game would be something else though, no testing out of rookies and second stringers. I do question what the long term aim of the NFL is though, as I can't see it developing beyond half a dozen matches at various European stadiums in the course of a season.

week 14 power rankings

Week 14 power rankings:

RANK........TEAM.....RECORD
1........Packers........12-0
2........Ravens........9-3
3........49ers........10-2
4........Saints........9-3
5........Steelers........9-3
6........Patriots........9-3
7........Texans........9-3
8........Falcons........7-5
9........Cowboys........7-5
10........Broncos........7-5
11........Jets........7-5
12........Lions........7-5
13........Titans........7-5
14........Bengals........7-5
15........Raiders........7-5
16........Giants........6-6
17........Bears........7-5
18........Cardinals........5-7
19........Seahawks........5-7
20........Bills........5-7
21........Chargers........5-7
22........Dolphins........4-8
23........Chiefs........5-7
24........Eagles........4-8
25........Panthers........4-8
26........Buccaneers........4-8
27........Redskins........4-8
28........Browns........4-8
29........Jaguars........3-9
30........Vikings........2-10
31........Rams........2-10
32........Colts........0-12

I think I'd slip the Saints ahead of the Niners.

Other than that, the funny is they are actually saying the C-Hawks still have a slim chance to make playoffs. Maybe we could have a Hawks vs Chiefs SB... that would be good. :rolleyes:

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Tank Engine said:
I'd certainly go to a one off game. I went to the Bears-Cowboys pre-season game at Wembley (I think in the late 80s?). A regular season game would be something else though, no testing out of rookies and second stringers. I do question what the long term aim of the NFL is though, as I can't see it developing beyond half a dozen matches at various European stadiums in the course of a season.

8 matches at wembley would be a new home venue for someone!

i think it would be quite manageable as travel wise seattle-miami is a comparable distance to new york-london.

i'm not convinced that there is enough support in europe to get 70,000+ people for 8 games a year (i've been to the london game for the last couple of years) i think many people who go to this ame think £70/year is good value but would get very diminishing returns to other games i wouldn't spend £560/year

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
If any of you are going to copy my list, be aware that I copied it from the BBC, which means that in the European way, home teams are named first!

Friday, 9 December 2011
Pittsburgh Steelers v Cleveland Browns

Sunday, 11 December 2011
Baltimore Ravens v Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers v Atlanta Falcons
Cincinnati Bengals v Houston Texans
Detroit Lions v Minnesota Vikings
Green Bay Packers v Oakland Raiders
Jacksonville Jaguars v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Miami Dolphins v Philadelphia Eagles
New York Jets v Kansas City Chiefs
Tennessee Titans v New Orleans Saints
Washington Redskins v New England Patriots
Arizona Cardinals v San Francisco 49ers
Denver Broncos v Chicago Bears
San Diego Chargers v Buffalo Bills

Monday, 12 December 2011
Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants

Tuesday, 13 December 2011
Seattle Seahawks v St Louis Rams

Busy week coming up for me, not many posts.

Friday, 9 December 2011
Pittsburgh Steelers v Cleveland Browns

Sunday, 11 December 2011
Baltimore Ravens v Indianapolis Colts
Carolina Panthers v Atlanta Falcons
Cincinnati Bengals v Houston Texans
Detroit Lions v Minnesota Vikings
Green Bay Packers v Oakland Raiders
Jacksonville Jaguars v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Miami Dolphins v Philadelphia Eagles
New York Jets v Kansas City Chiefs
Tennessee Titans v New Orleans Saints
Washington Redskins v New England Patriots
Arizona Cardinals v San Francisco 49ers
Denver Broncos v Chicago Bears
San Diego Chargers v Buffalo Bills

Monday, 12 December 2011
Dallas Cowboys v New York Giants

Tuesday, 13 December 2011
Seattle Seahawks v St Louis Rams

Closest game could be Cowboys Giants, Panthers-Falcons, Jags-Bucs, Saints-Titans, Bengals-Texans.

Heisman Trophy is announced tomorrow. I think Robert Griffin III is going to win. Andrew Luck had been the front runner for so long, but he was merely "very good" at the end of the year, while Griffin was superb. All four guys have a shot though, obviously.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Marion Barber is a tool of satan, so he does not really work for him. It is god's will to use him to smite the evil Chicogoans. Obama is from Illinois, and Colorado is trending wingnut.

The media is eating this crap up. I'm gonna go throw up now.

Edit: lol I just now see some hottie on NBC saying she was beside Tebow during that FG, and he told her he was talking to the "man upstairs". You could see her practically creaming her britches on TV.

Now this bible thumper clown Tony Dungy is saying "nobody loves Tebow more than him". Yes, I just overcooked this pork loin watching this defacation, and I do believe I will go throw up now.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Tebow! Tebow! Praise the Lord!

You really couldn't make it up, could you? The Lord obviously smote the ball out of Barber's grasp because he's got a deal with Timmy. The Broncos will go to the SB and upset the Packers, mark my words. I have bolded clear evidence of the Big Guy's involvement below.

DENVER -- Tim Tebow led the Denver Broncos to another comeback victory, with Matt Prater's 51-yard field goal with 8:34 left in overtime giving the Denver Broncos a 13-10 win over the Chicago Bears on Sunday.

Prater's 59-yarder with 2 seconds left in regulation tied the score.

It was Denver's sixth straight win, and half of them have come in OT since Tebow was promoted to starter.

After failing to score on their first 11 possessions, the Broncos (8-5) erased a 10-0 deficit in the final 2:08 of regulation.

Tebow hit Demaryius Thomas with a 10-yard touchdown pass, then got the ball back with 58 seconds left and drove Denver downfield for Prater's kick.

The Bears (7-6) won the toss in overtime and were in field goal range when Marion Barber coughed up the football at the Broncos 34 and Elvis Dumervil recovered.

I don't have time to be sick right now because I'm trying to talk a Bear friend out of putting a gun to his head.

Amsterhammer said:
I don't have time to be sick right now because I'm trying to talk a Bear friend out of putting a gun to his head.

Tell your friend that Barber's play is not worthy of having that kind of effect on a fan.

One of the broadcasters was right when he said that the Bears should let Bell get the most carries in the second half and use Barber for a lesser number of touches. Almost prophetic.

Edit: changed Ball to Bell

Tebow!!!! Okay, now that I've said it, in other games...

How about those Cowboys! About the 5th loss this year like that. Up by 12 with 3 mins left. I think they're trying to kill Jerry Jones.

Who isn't impressed by Houston at this point?

49ers loss helped NO. And what a game to lose, ouch.

I'm starting to think no one can beat the Packers. They destroyed a decent Oakland team. They'll go 16-0, then lose of course in the SB to Denver. ;)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
God and his son Jesus love Tebow.

SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC, SEC!

If you want a good laugh YOUTUBE search "SEC GUY". One of his classics is when he calls "95.5 the game" in Portland. It is hillarious! :D

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Is the power I, wishbone,shovel pass new in the NFL? Is it because he is left handed? What is up w the outside linebackers and corners that a lame roll out causes them to either freeze or go long like Tebow has the arm to get it down the field? Nobody in the backfield and he just runs from the shotgun? Like it's nobody's assigned to tackle the quarterback?
I made a bet of wood fired pizza and beer for 4 on the 3 games, Chargers and Packers did right. But 10 points up and a guy running the only direction he shouldn't ?? Why run anything off tackle anyway? wait the clock out each play..and run it up the gut even if the ball pops out the 325 pound Bronco picking it up is not making a sprint for the goal line. The protests should not be in the ship yards but instead at Barber's house. Marion's and Tiki's house, I don't care, anti-Barber all the time

1 thing Tebow and I shared last night we both yelled "Jesus!!!" at the end of the game

Game night! JAX (4-9) at ATL (8-5). From those won-lost records it might seem ho-hum. But I think it will be interesting enough with JAX's RB Maurice Jones-Drew (all 5'7"... and 210 lbs mostly in his tree trunk legs, and over 1200 yards rushing so far) vs. a pretty good ATL run defense. ATL has a bit better offense (~100 more total yards per game), but JAX has a tad better total defense.

Falcons ftw.

Alpe d'Huez said:
How about those Cowboys! About the 5th loss this year like that. Up by 12 with 3 mins left. I think they're trying to kill Jerry Jones.

I have been following the Cowboys for years (although from a distance). If I was as passionate about football as I am about Welsh rugby, I'd have had a heart attack by now. At least this season has been interesting :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS