• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is probably wild fantasy, but I wonder if there’s any way the Warriors could sign Harden to a one year deal, just as a temporary replacement for Klay. Can you imagine Curry and Harden in the same back court? Both can play either PG or SG, and they could stagger their times, as Houston did when Chris Paul was there, so there would always be an elite point guard on the court. But when they were on the court at the same time, how would teams guard them both?

The Warriors don’t have anyone they could offer Houston in return, at least not anyone they’d be willing to give up for just one year of Harden. But if a third team, say, Philly, makes a long-term offer for Harden that Houston likes, maybe the Warriors could insert themselves into the process. In return for the one year, the Warriors would send money and/or players to Philly, which would take possession of Harden for the 2021-22 season and beyond.

Would Harden himself approve of such a deal? I assume he wants out of Houston to pursue a title. If he joined the Warriors, GS would instantly become a strong title favorite. If they did win it all, it could only help Harden, if his negotiations with Philly were still ongoing.

This is probably wild fantasy, but I wonder if there’s any way the Warriors could sign Harden to a one year deal, just as a temporary replacement for Klay. Can you imagine Curry and Harden in the same back court? Both can play either PG or SG, and they could stagger their times, as Houston did when Chris Paul was there, so there would always be an elite point guard on the court. But when they were on the court at the same time, how would teams guard them both?

The Warriors don’t have anyone they could offer Houston in return, at least not anyone they’d be willing to give up for just one year of Harden. But if a third team, say, Philly, makes a long-term offer for Harden that Houston likes, maybe the Warriors could insert themselves into the process. In return for the one year, the Warriors would send money and/or players to Philly, which would take possession of Harden for the 2021-22 season and beyond.

Would Harden himself approve of such a deal? I assume he wants out of Houston to pursue a title. If he joined the Warriors, GS would instantly become a strong title favorite. If they did win it all, it could only help Harden, if his negotiations with Philly were still ongoing.
I think that scenario is unlikely but anything is possible in the NBA where the players have much more power and better contracts than the players in other leagues.

KD, Harden and Kyrie is the second best duo in the East...
Kyrie is the joker. Notorious for having his own ideas and not always in the team's best interests. This combination with a novice coach isn't convincing some people. It's not the talent it's how they will play together and Kyrie is already missing games and has a career of being injury prone. Think the coach will have his hands full. A four team trade with Oladipo going to Houston from the Pacers and the Cavs getting two quality young players which will suit them as they are rebuilding.

Well yeah, that's the joke.

I have a lot of time for Kyrie, I think he gets an undue level of criticism at times and I think a lot of it is not really fair (might sound strange coming from a Celtics fan!). Hopefully having Harden and KD there can help motivate him, but there's a good chance it'll make him more likely to go MIA. It's also going to be interesting to see where the defence is going to come from now they've traded Allen.

I think Houston have come out of this trade really well, as have the Pacers and Cavs. If Brooklyn get a title or two then you also can't really fault them for it, but I'm not convinced it'll happen. There are still, at least, 3 teams who can push them for the finals spot, Celtics, 76ers and Bucks. Shipping all those picks is pretty much saying, these guys are going to win us a title, because the chances of us picking up the talent we'll need to rebuild are gone for a while (unless we're really lucky).

Wil be interesting to see what Houston do with those picks. Loading up and trading was how they got Harden in the first place I seem to remember.

Back to the Celtics, Payton Pritchard has been fantastic so far. Maybe people will start to look more at those 4 year college guys and realise they may be able to slot in quicker than you think. When Kemba returns (still when, not if...) he's going to lose some minutes, but right now I'd be giving him the time over Teague/Waters/Edwards etc. Nesmith has looked nervous when he's been given the chance, but he's still a young guy so hopefully they hold onto him. If they can get him, Langford and Pritchard all firing then the bench suddenly becomes a much more daunting prospect for opposition. Still need a real big man though, especially with Theis playing so poorly at the moment. Smart looks good as always and G Williams is going well. It's great to see R Williams, Ojeleye and even Fall picking it up a bit. I'm still unconvinced Tacko will work out, but I do love what he brings to games.

Reactions: movingtarget
Is there a full schedule of NCAA games being played? And any details on players who may be out due to COVID?

Celtics are in a slump, less said about that the better. Brooklyn seem to be having the problem everyone thought they would when they made the Harden trade, their defence has done a bit of a disappearing act and their depth is terrible. Dinwiddie is out with no expected return and, if one of Harden, Durant or Irving is missing they really struggle. I think they need to improve that bench quite a lot to have a chance of winning the finals (which really has to be their marker for success).

Philly look good in the East and Utah are going very well in the West. It's tighter in the east and those final spots will be interesting to see how they shake out. The spread is a bit bigger in the west but it'll still be interesting to see who makes it.

Is there a full schedule of NCAA games being played? And any details on players who may be out due to COVID?
ESPN usually has the full schedule, but with covid who knows which games might be cancelled or postponed next. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20210215/group/50

This link also should provide some info on the latest. https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/n...-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season

I am hoping for an at least abbreviated March Madness tourney, love the Zags, so it's nice to see them top-ranked.

Reactions: jmdirt

There was full schedule of NCAA games, but I don't think anyone has actually played all of the games and there is a huge disparity of games played between some of the teams.

ESPN usually has the full schedule, but with covid who knows which games might be cancelled or postponed next. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20210215/group/50

This link also should provide some info on the latest. https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/n...-schedule-latest-covid-19-news-2020-21-season

I am hoping for an at least abbreviated March Madness tourney, love the Zags, so it's nice to see them top-ranked.

UNC (Chapel Hill)/VA Tech is cancelled/postponed. That was a game this week.

March Madness is scheduled for the entire tourney to be played in Indiana for the Men and in San Antonio for the women. As for conference tourneys who knows. They are planning on actual bubbles for the NCAA Tournament. Now whether or not we get the NIT Tournament is a different question.

Thanks @Koronin and @Tricycle Rider , it's hard enough keeping up with NBA in the current situation let alone NCAA basketball!

I'm a big college basketball fan, but not much of an NBA fan. Love the NHL and, yeah, it's hard to keep up with what is going on there as well. As for the NCAA I live in ACC territory and once moved will be living very close to Duke and UNC. The apt my husband is currently in is about 10 minutes from Duke and maybe 15 minutes from UNC. So that helps to know some of what is going on with those schools.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
Denver native here - grew up with Nuggets.

Time for a coaching change maybe - with the one-two punch of Jokić & Murray and this team at 17-15 is barely holding on to the 8th seed. :oops:
We've got two legitimate All-Star starters on the Celtics and we've slipped to 15-17, it's a difficult year for some teams. I struggle to follow the full picture but Denver have had a few players out haven't they? I get the feeling that teams aren't giving out a lot of player fitness info. Tatum recently said that he's been struggling after having COVID.

We've got two legitimate All-Star starters on the Celtics and we've slipped to 15-17, it's a difficult year for some teams. I struggle to follow the full picture but Denver have had a few players out haven't they? I get the feeling that teams aren't giving out a lot of player fitness info. Tatum recently said that he's been struggling after having COVID.
On the other hand the Jazz fans must be happy at the moment. The Bucks also had a bad run but are improving. as are the Mavericks who have had a slow start. The Lakers will obviously pick up when Davis returns. The Timberwolves need a rebuild.

I'm a big college basketball fan, but not much of an NBA fan. Love the NHL and, yeah, it's hard to keep up with what is going on there as well. As for the NCAA I live in ACC territory and once moved will be living very close to Duke and UNC. The apt my husband is currently in is about 10 minutes from Duke and maybe 15 minutes from UNC. So that helps to know some of what is going on with those schools.
Once we get this covid thing under control UNC v Duke should be a nice rivalry to see. Here's hoping for the best.

Reactions: Koronin
Hm, how do we approach this NCAA Men's Final?

Have always loved the Zags because they are such a small school, but can they make it against Baylor come Monday?

Stay tuned...
That was the most entertaining BB game that I have ever watched!

Baylor is tough. Baylor also had a little easier game physically and mentally. I'd love to see GU win!

My sister played BB for GU in the early '90s and the campus is only about an hour from where I grew up so I have a little sliver of connection. Spokane was our 'big city'! :)

That was the most entertaining BB game that I have ever watched!

Baylor is tough. Baylor also had a little easier game physically and mentally. I'd love to see GU win!

My sister played BB for GU in the early '90s and the campus is only about an hour from where I grew up so I have a little sliver of connection. Spokane was our 'big city'! :)
While I may be a UW Husky I always wished Gonzaga well. They are a part of the PacNW neighborhood, after all. :)

Your sis played for the Zags way back when? Good for her!

93 and 94 (didn't really play in '94 due to serious ankle injury). 91 and 92 at NIC in Coeur d' Alene, ID.
Bummer she got injured. I take it she'll be watching the game tonight?

I think Gonzaga is just about the only West Coast team that has made it into the tourney year after year, which, for such a small school and not even being part of a major conference, is very impressive. And each year they got a big stronger and got close, I'm really hoping they can pull it off tonight. I, and I'm sure many others, will cry into my pillow if they don't.

Reactions: jmdirt
Bummer she got injured. I take it she'll be watching the game tonight?

I think Gonzaga is just about the only West Coast team that has made it into the tourney year after year, which, for such a small school and not even being part of a major conference, is very impressive. And each year they got a big stronger and got close, I'm really hoping they can pull it off tonight. I, and I'm sure many others, will cry into my pillow if they don't.
She's a rabid fan! For her, this is bigger than any sporting event ever!

TRENDING THREADS