• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

NBA / NCAA Basketball

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
It's over and really it already was. Much better performance in Game 3 but the wheels fell off in the last few minutes. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The big names for the Warriors have outperformed the big names for the Cavs as a group. Looks like player changes on the way for the Cavs.
No kidding did the wheels fall off in the last few minutes! I was stunned watching that - with 2:45 left Cleveland is up by 6, then an 11-0 run by GS to close out the game...unbelievable. Korver & Smith each missing a 3 pt shot where they both had a good look. And Love missing an easy bucket in the paint...pitiful. These guys weren't anything close to clutch with the game on the line. And the King pulling out all the stops by playing an incredible 46 mins!

What an overwhelming force this team is by the addition of Durantula, who'll get his ring after flicking his nose at OKC. The only question left is will GS go for the playoff sweep or let one slip by and win the title in front of the home crowd?

They probably would like to win at home but the thought of sweeping Lebron is probably too much of a carrot for players like Curry and Durant. Might see some post season changes at the Cavs. Kyrie played much better until the last few minutes. Some commentators thought that Kyrie and Lebron ran out of gas at the finish.
As I mentioned the King went 46 mins, and in the closing minutes he missed a 3 and if I recall correctly, he had a critical turnover. He definitely looked toasted. And KI looked flat missing a shot. You've got to wonder if Lebron even wants to play this next game if he's going to do another 46 min encore. I would imagine the King would want some changes made for next year.

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
It's over and really it already was. Much better performance in Game 3 but the wheels fell off in the last few minutes. Snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. The big names for the Warriors have outperformed the big names for the Cavs as a group. Looks like player changes on the way for the Cavs.
No kidding did the wheels fall off in the last few minutes! I was stunned watching that - with 2:45 left Cleveland is up by 6, then an 11-0 run by GS to close out the game...unbelievable. Korver & Smith each missing a 3 pt shot where they both had a good look. And Love missing an easy bucket in the paint...pitiful. These guys weren't anything close to clutch with the game on the line. And the King pulling out all the stops by playing an incredible 46 mins!

What an overwhelming force this team is by the addition of Durantula, who'll get his ring after flicking his nose at OKC. The only question left is will GS go for the playoff sweep or let one slip by and win the title in front of the home crowd?

They probably would like to win at home but the thought of sweeping Lebron is probably too much of a carrot for players like Curry and Durant. Might see some post season changes at the Cavs. Kyrie played much better until the last few minutes. Some commentators thought that Kyrie and Lebron ran out of gas at the finish.
As I mentioned the King went 46 mins, and in the closing minutes he missed a 3 and if I recall correctly, he had a critical turnover. He definitely looked toasted. And KI looked flat missing a shot. You've got to wonder if Lebron even wants to play this next game if he's going to do another 46 min encore. I would imagine the King would want some changes made for next year.

He'll join the Warriors next season.

LeBron has been incredible this series.

Curry and Durant are great players but even this series there is no doubt who is still the best. LeBron started games 2 and 3 with a mindset he has saved for the really big occasions (like games 6 and 7 against the Spurs in 13) where he goes for the layup everytime. No jump shots and then he has incredible halves like G2 and G3. He also knows it's over so he's going to play differently in G4. will be interesting what happens

in game 3 James played 46 minutes, in those 46 minutes the cavs were +7. They somehow lost by 5 which means in those 2 minutes he didn't play they were outscored by 12 points.

Tristan who was incredible in last years finals (ORebounding and also after switches defending Curry) has been no show so far. (kardashian curse lol)
Kyrie adds nothing apart from handles and finishing at the rim but was bad all 3 games apart from Q3.
Korver and JR atleast hit some 3's in game 3.
Shumpert is a headless chicken. Atleast he got the flat top back
Love the only Cav apart from James who has been good so far. Great actually.

Guess Durant will get mvp but Curry has been better and should get it

BullsFan22 said:
The Cavs arguably had their best game of the playoffs, certainly one of their best games of the season, and still came up short. Losing a three possession lead in the last couple minutes of the game after playing very well throughout must have sucked the life out of them. I don't see them winning a game now. That was as good an opportunity as they'll have to win a game, and perhaps (and that's a big perhaps) make it into a series, but they couldn't seal the deal. My guess is that the Warriors won't let off now. Finishing 16-0 in the playoffs is big for them, even if it means not getting their trophy at home.

Lebron will be 3-5 (assuming we don't see the greatest comeback in the history of American pro sports) in NBA finals now. The Cavs got spanked by the Spurs in Lebron's first finals in 2007. The Mavs surprised the Cavs in 2011, playing their best ball of the season and Nowitzki dialed in. In 2012 he won his first title, but I remember the refs playing a big role in the conference semis vs the Pacers and the Celtics sort of choking with having a 3-2 lead. The young and really inexperienced Thunder were overwhelmed. In 2013 it was Ray Allen winning 3 in game 6 that saved Lebron's bum from getting burned (that and some poor decisions from Poppovich and his boys). The Heat won game 7 to win the title. In 2014 and 2015 Lebron's teams were beaten quite handily. Last year was probably his most deserved title.

How about 32 points 10 assists and 11 rebounds from Lebron?

I don't agree with the idea that only points scored in the last minute count. A game is 4 quarters and EVERY point counts. If Lebron scores 1 point less in the 1st quarter that would have added up and Ray Allens 3 at the end of the game wouldnt have been enough.

Add all that together and James's tripple double performance won that game more than anyone else. He won the finals mvp and was the best player in the series. He deserved it.

If we are basing James titles on "deserve" btw, you forgot 2015 which even though Cavs lost (4-2 so not THAT handidly) he had one of the the greatest performances in the history of the playoffs, carrying a college basketball team to 2 games (and a 3rd which went to OT)

Billie, Love was good in the first two games, but less so in game three. 13 boards=good, but Cle needs more than 9 points out of him period, but especially against GS.

I've been pondering the GOAT/tier discussion. I'm not a huge fan of GOAT because there are so many factors over so many years. But tiers present the same problems, but add questions like: how much better is the bottom guy of tier one than the top guy of tier two? How many people are in each tier? Like I said, from the mid 70s until now, I just don't see anyone with the impact that Jordan had. Alpe would prefer Magic and that's a tough one to ague against too. I also can't see this discussion without James. My tier 1 would be: Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird. That team could win a few! :) Who do I want off of the bench? Dr.J, Tim Duncan, Karl Malone, Shaq O', John Stockton. You have to have Wilt Chamberlain in the top tier because his stats are crazy. Jerry West is top tier because his silhouette is on all things NBA and he was a a shooting machine. Bill Russell has 12 titles! I have a feeling that Durant and Curry will make the top tier soon as well. Ramble...ramble...

The Hitch said:
BullsFan22 said:
The Cavs arguably had their best game of the playoffs, certainly one of their best games of the season, and still came up short. Losing a three possession lead in the last couple minutes of the game after playing very well throughout must have sucked the life out of them. I don't see them winning a game now. That was as good an opportunity as they'll have to win a game, and perhaps (and that's a big perhaps) make it into a series, but they couldn't seal the deal. My guess is that the Warriors won't let off now. Finishing 16-0 in the playoffs is big for them, even if it means not getting their trophy at home.

Lebron will be 3-5 (assuming we don't see the greatest comeback in the history of American pro sports) in NBA finals now. The Cavs got spanked by the Spurs in Lebron's first finals in 2007. The Mavs surprised the Cavs in 2011, playing their best ball of the season and Nowitzki dialed in. In 2012 he won his first title, but I remember the refs playing a big role in the conference semis vs the Pacers and the Celtics sort of choking with having a 3-2 lead. The young and really inexperienced Thunder were overwhelmed. In 2013 it was Ray Allen winning 3 in game 6 that saved Lebron's bum from getting burned (that and some poor decisions from Poppovich and his boys). The Heat won game 7 to win the title. In 2014 and 2015 Lebron's teams were beaten quite handily. Last year was probably his most deserved title.

I don't agree with the idea that only points scored in the last minute count. A game is 4 quarters and EVERY point counts. If Lebron scores 1 point less in the 1st quarter that would have added up and Ray Allens 3 at the end of the game wouldnt have been enough.

Add all that together and James's tripple double performance won that game more than anyone else. He won the finals mvp and was the best player in the series. He deserved it.

If we are basing James titles on "deserve" btw, you forgot 2015 which even though Cavs lost (4-2 so not THAT handidly) he had one of the the greatest performances in the history of the playoffs, carrying a college basketball team to 2 games (and a 3rd which went to OT)
I'll agree every point counts, so credit also goes to all the scorers throughout a game, not just the guy who shot the game-winner at the buzzer. We like to put the guy who made the buzzer beater on a Pedestal, I'm guessing because it came in a clutch moment when all the marbles were on the line and with all the pressure.

Now as for this NBA Finals series, the point distribution by Lebron is very interesting when sometimes the focus is on the totals (e.g. game 3: 39 pts, 11 reb, 9 assists; in 46 MINUTES). Stellar right? Well, yes, but look at his point distribution by quarter in this Finals series (all 3 games so far):
Qtr - Points --- FG Pct
1st - 39 --- 70%
2nd - 25 --- 71%
3rd - 21 --- 40%
4th - 11 --- 36%
http://nesn.com/2017/06/kevin-durant-has-in-fact-worn-out-lebron-james-and-the-stats-prove-it/

Why? Why wouldn't Lebron demand the ball, or coach Lue put the ball in his hands? Today all the analysts have been saying the Cavs (in particular Lebron and Kyrie) were too tired, or that it looked like they played tired in the final 3 minutes 10 seconds when the Cavs put up a goose egg (0 points). Warriors coach Steve Kerr told his guys down the stretch in game 3 that the Cavs would tire, and fatigue would became an important factor. It is a well know fact the Warriors have more weapons, but it means the starters can get more rest during the game. Minutes played in game 3 for the Warriors: Curry 39, Klay & KD 40 each. For the Cavs: LJ 45, KI 44 minutes.

A contributing factor to those point stats by quarter for Lebron could be he is a great distributor of the ball. So it could be that fatigue is not the only factor for those stats.

So how can the Cavs win game 4? Lebron says they do not have to change up their game any. Some analysts say the Cavs need to post James up and play the old style inside-out game that was prevalent in the days of the Lakers and Celtics. That should help LJ conserve energy instead of executing higher energy runs at the hoop. And it could put some Warriors into foul trouble. Then turn a less fatigued LJ loose at the end of the game if necessary. The same analysts suggest that because if what the Cavs have been doing won't work, why not try something new? And then, how much control of the game does coach Lue really have, and how much blame can he receive for not trying something new. I don't know. These are just some things that have been said.

on3m@n@rmy said:
The Hitch said:
BullsFan22 said:

I'll agree every point counts, so credit also goes to all the scorers throughout a game, not just the guy who shot the game-winner at the buzzer. We like to put the guy who made the buzzer beater on a Pedestal, I'm guessing because it came in a clutch moment when all the marbles were on the line and with all the pressure.

Now as for this NBA Finals series, the point distribution by Lebron is very interesting when sometimes the focus is on the totals (e.g. game 3: 39 pts, 11 reb, 9 assists; in 46 MINUTES). Stellar right? Well, yes, but look at his point distribution by quarter in this Finals series (all 3 games so far):
Qtr - Points --- FG Pct
1st - 39 --- 70%
2nd - 25 --- 71%
3rd - 21 --- 40%
4th - 11 --- 36%
http://nesn.com/2017/06/kevin-durant-has-in-fact-worn-out-lebron-james-and-the-stats-prove-it/

Why? Why wouldn't Lebron demand the ball, or coach Lue put the ball in his hands? Today all the analysts have been saying the Cavs (in particular Lebron and Kyrie) were too tired, or that it looked like they played tired in the final 3 minutes 10 seconds when the Cavs put up a goose egg (0 points). Warriors coach Steve Kerr told his guys down the stretch in game 3 that the Cavs would tire, and fatigue would became an important factor. It is a well know fact the Warriors have more weapons, but it means the starters can get more rest during the game. Minutes played in game 3 for the Warriors: Curry 39, Klay & KD 40 each. For the Cavs: LJ 45, KI 44 minutes.

A contributing factor to those point stats by quarter for Lebron could be he is a great distributor of the ball. So it could be that fatigue is not the only factor for those stats.

So how can the Cavs win game 4? Lebron says they do not have to change up their game any. Some analysts say the Cavs need to post James up and play the old style inside-out game that was prevalent in the days of the Lakers and Celtics. That should help LJ conserve energy instead of executing higher energy runs at the hoop. And it could put some Warriors into foul trouble. Then turn a less fatigued LJ loose at the end of the game if necessary. The same analysts suggest that because if what the Cavs have been doing won't work, why not try something new? And then, how much control of the game does coach Lue really have, and how much blame can he receive for not trying something new. I don't know. These are just some things that have been said.
"How can the Cavs win game 4?"

Answer: If Durantula gets hurt or something and can't play. Lol.

If you score 49 points in the first quarter, well...

Two things stick out to me: the Cle box looks more like it should (Korver could score a few more if needed), but in the GS box score Curry and Thompson with 14 and 13. Side note, Cle outscored GS in every Q.

Re:

jmdirt said:

Two things stick out to me: the Cle box looks more like it should (Korver could score a few more if needed), but in the GS box score Curry and Thompson with 14 and 13. Side note, Cle outscored GS in every Q.

Very good win. I wish Green would go away just irritating to watch. Thompson played much better as well for the Cavs.

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

Very good win. I wish Green would go away just irritating to watch. Thompson played much better as well for the Cavs.
I don't like his style either. Obviously he is a great player, and by all accounts he has a high BB IQ. He is also a dirty player, and he can't control his emotions. Because GS is a really good team, his BS isn't usually a liability, but as other teams close the gap, and/or as GS dismantles, it might be a different story.

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

I don't like his style either. Obviously he is a great player, and by all accounts he has a high BB IQ. He is also a dirty player, and he can't control his emotions. Because GS is a really good team, his BS isn't usually a liability, but as other teams close the gap, and/or as GS dismantles, it might be a different story.
Agree with you both. Dirty style is one thing I don't like about the NBA, even though not everyone plays dirty. Couple of other things I don't like are rule violations that refs do not enforce; palming and traveling are 2 that come to mind that have occurred in this series.

One thing I don't get either is how one team can go from being dominating to dominated? It's almost like someone told GS to lay down in game 4 to let CLE win. $$$. I guess I dont have much trust in the NBA. Nothing against the Cavs.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

Agree with you both. Dirty style is one thing I don't like about the NBA, even though not everyone plays dirty. Couple of other things I don't like are rule violations that refs do not enforce; palming and traveling are 2 that come to mind that have occurred in this series.

One thing I don't get either is how one team can go from being dominating to dominated? It's almost like someone told GS to lay down in game 4 to let CLE win. $$$. I guess I dont have much trust in the NBA. Nothing against the Cavs.

The refs didn't have a good game at all. So many confusing calls.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

One reason I don't like the NBA as much as I did back in the 80's and 90's. Seems that palming and traveling are accepted as normal play. This series has shown that to be 100% true.

With respect to the dirty play. I don't like D.Green's act. But I do remember enjoying how 76'rs , Lakers, Boston, and Detroit played back in the day. Even the Great Bulls teams had to eventually play rough to get through Mr. Red Lobster (Isaiah Thomas and the dirty bunch).

I get that the game has changed. I just miss that style.

I think if Cleveland had some of that Detroit bad boy stuff in them... they would have caused GS more trouble. You can't be dirty but you should be rough and try not to get caught by the ref's.

Semper Fidelis said:
One reason I don't like the NBA as much as I did back in the 80's and 90's. Seems that palming and traveling are accepted as normal play. This series has shown that to be 100% true.

With respect to the dirty play. I don't like D.Green's act. But I do remember enjoying how 76'rs , Lakers, Boston, and Detroit played back in the day. Even the Great Bulls teams had to eventually play rough to get through Mr. Red Lobster (Isaiah Thomas and the dirty bunch).

I get that the game has changed. I just miss that style.

I think if Cleveland had some of that Detroit bad boy stuff in them... they would have caused GS more trouble. You can't be dirty but you should be rough and try not to get caught by the ref's.
One name. Laimbeer. Built like a tree trunk and brought the lumber. Currently a WNBA head coach (NY Liberty).

Tonight's game 5, hoping for good close game. I'll guess a win for GS. Maybe.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Cleveland showed some fight in the last two games but I always thought the series result was inevitable. The Cavs jumped out to another good lead but couldn't keep it going. Kyrie looked to be having some injury issues as well which didn't help.
Entertaining game, and like you said the Cavs showed some fight. Durantula made the difference for GS in this year's finals...who would have thought. Man...he canned some serious 3's from downtown. And those monsters jams by GS were also entertaining (I could barely touch the rim when I played HS ball decades ago...Lol). Smith also found his trigger finger and was nailing 3's like crazy. Where was that cannon in the earlier games?

Anybody read the lips of the King when it looked like he was getting in the face of Durantula after the skirmish between Thompson & West? Some trash talking maybe, though KD was just smirking. After the game, the King was the first to embrace Durantula and whispered something in his ear. Maybe something to the effect of that he would like to go to GS next season and win an "easy" championship. Lol.

Cavs need a point guard badly. Someone who can create shots for others like James. I think there are about 15 point guards in the NBA that are more useful than Irving.

Unless Washington or Boston trade for Paul George there'll be 3 or 4 more of these Finals

Re:

Billie said:
Cavs need a point guard badly. Someone who can create shots for others like James. I think there are about 15 point guards in the NBA that are more useful than Irving.

Unless Washington or Boston trade for Paul George there'll be 3 or 4 more of these Finals

There's no in between with Irving, he's either on or off and like you said he's not one of the great playmakers, he's more of a solo act. In the 2015 finals I thought James formed a better combination with Dellavedova who played out of his skin in games two and three on offense and defense and also had a great series against the Bulls before that. But injuries caught up with him in 2016. He went pretty well off the bench for the Bucks this season.

Why Cle lost- bench, Love
Why Cle was even close- Smith
Why GS won- bench

A lot is being made of KD being the reason that GS won, but in a series like this, the starters tend to cancel each other out, and its the roll players/bench that make the difference. In this case, the Cle starters beat the GS starters, and it was the bench, Igu, who won the game.

LJ 41, KD 39
KI 26, SC 34
JS 25, KT 11
TT 15, DG 10
KL 6, ZP 0
C=113, GS=94
Bench C 7, GS 35

Obviously there is more to the game than scoring (turnovers 14/13, rebounds 40/42, etc), but in the end the only stat that matters is the final score. I don't think that they use Corver very well. Cle will obviously need to build their bench, especially a PF who can score and play D.

Movingtarget, I don't agree about KI. I think that he and LJ are a good combo. Plus, I question your "solo act" assertion since only James and Curry had more assists than KI last night. EDIT: He could move better without the ball though.

Let's compare him to SC in 2017:
Assists: 5.8, 6.6
TOs: 2.5, 3.0
Reb: 3.2, 4.5
FG%: .473, .468

Re:

jmdirt said:
Why GS won- bench

A lot is being made of KD being the reason that GS won, but in a series like this, the starters tend to cancel each other out, and its the roll players/bench that make the difference. In this case, the Cle starters beat the GS starters, and it was the bench, Igu, who won the game.

LJ 41, KD 39
KI 26, SC 34
JS 25, KT 11
TT 15, DG 10
KL 6, ZP 0
C=113, GS=94
Bench C 7, GS 35

Obviously there is more to the game than scoring (turnovers 14/13, rebounds 40/42, etc), but in the end the only stat that matters is the final score. I don't think that they use Corver very well. Cle will obviously need to build their bench, especially a PF who can score and play D.

Movingtarget, I don't agree about KI. I think that he and LJ are a good combo. Plus, I question your "solo act" assertion since only James and Curry had more assists than KI last night. EDIT: He could move better without the ball though.

Fair point. Cavs will be frustrated with that after Game Four. Like the panel said in the game review. Love, Irving and Lebron all have to be at their best in every game to compete with the Warriors and it didn't happen. Love can be streaky as can JR Smith. Irving is a great player but I was surprised his stats were that good. When Curry becomes the second best player for his team then you know it's going to be a tough night. The bench made a huge difference for the Warriors of course. Losing Bogut in his first game of the season really hurt the Cavs defense because he has the size to cause problems and he is a quality defender even if he is past his best.

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
Why GS won- bench

LJ 41, KD 39
KI 26, SC 34
JS 25, KT 11
TT 15, DG 10
KL 6, ZP 0
C=113, GS=94
Bench C 7, GS 35

Fair point. Cavs will be frustrated with that after Game Four. Like the panel said in the game review. Love, Irving and Lebron all have to be at their best in every game to compete with the Warriors and it didn't happen. Love can be streaky as can JR Smith. Irving is a great player but I was surprised his stats were that good. When Curry becomes the second best player for his team then you know it's going to be a tough night. The bench made a huge difference for the Warriors of course. Losing Bogut in his first game of the season really hurt the Cavs defense because he has the size to cause problems and he is a quality defender even if he is past his best.
I watched the link you posted, but I must admit that I really don't like SAS, and therefore don't really care what he has to say. I have no idea how he got to where he is. He's just not good IMO. Anyway, NFL is heating up! :)

jmdirt said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
Why GS won- bench

LJ 41, KD 39
KI 26, SC 34
JS 25, KT 11
TT 15, DG 10
KL 6, ZP 0
C=113, GS=94
Bench C 7, GS 35

I watched the link you posted, but I must admit that I really don't like SAS, and therefore don't really care what he has to say. I have no idea how he got to where he is. He's just not good IMO. Anyway, NFL is heating up! :)

The problem with Smith is that he's a know all, often the guests on his show make much more sense than he does. I think he does better with Basketball than he does with NFL and he knows little about boxing.

TRENDING THREADS